• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar Tonelico Qoga |OT| - Singing the Song that Ends the World

Durante

banner.png

Quickinfo:
Genre: JRPG
Platform: PS3
Developer: Gust
Publisher: NISA
Release date: March 15 (NA) / March 25 (EU)
Ratings: ESRB Mature / PEGI 12 / USK 12 (funny, that)
Box art:
box.png

Why should you care? (Or: game features)
  • The setting is extremely well developed and unique. From the geography, over the history and to the fully realized language, alphabet and grammar, it's far beyond what you'd expect from most games -- eastern or western. See the links below for more information.
  • Like its predecessor, there is a nice variety of gameplay systems. This includes a spell creation system that also alters battle music, a variety of talk/banter options (with all party members this time around, not just Reyvateils), and of course the return of the ADV-like diving system.
  • The series is known for its fantastic music, as is fitting for a setting where music and sounds can have a direct effect on reality. Though many hard-core fans consider AT3 to be slightly weaker in this regard than its predecessors it still features a large number of great compositions.
  • Yes, it has multiple-personality girls you can dress up and who can cast song magic that gets stronger if they remove parts of their clothing. The same is true for the male characters in your party by the way.
  • From the first impressions it seems like NISA didn't mess up the localization this time around, or at least not to a degree remotely comparable to the second entry in the series. Rejoice! Also, dual audio support as you would expect from any decent blu-ray release.
  • It has 4xMSAA. Yeah, the graphics do allow that easily, but for most Japanese devs that's not enough of a reason to actually do it. Support sanity and image quality! And 60 FPS by the way.
  • You can jump! What can I say, I like jumping.

system.png

Battle System

This time around, the battle system is a fully realtime 3D somewhat Star Ocean / Tales-like affair. You can have one active Reyvateil (that's a song magic caster for all those new to the series) in your party and much of the battle revolves about protecting her and keeping her happy. By doing that and/or attacking in tune with the music you can increase the "purge level", thus unlocking high-level spells and attacks.

Diving

The "diving" system is a staple of the series. It allows you to enter a Reyvateil's mind (their "Cosmospere") and get to know her character as well as unlock abilities in a ADV-like framework. This installment mixes things up by introducing multiple personalities for the Reyvateils, as well as unlocking song magic fragments called "Hyuma", which are used to "program" Reyvateils.

R.A.H. System

The Hyuma gathered from diving serve a dual purpose: when programmed they boost a Reyvateil's stats and influence the battle music. Different Reyvateil personalities harmonize with different Hyuma, and better harmonics will lead to higher bonuses. To program high-level Hyuma you need a higher level of trust with the Reyvateil (personality) in question, achieved through diving, conversations and gifts. And yes, before you ask, all of this potentially leads to the taking off of clothes.

Synthesis

It wouldn't be a Gust game without synthesis. While much simpler than the Atelier games' systems, the events where the girls name your creations make a return (those were often hilarious), and you can now synthesize battle moves in addition to items.

links.png

Untitled-4.jpg

firanzia.png

(I actually wanted to flesh this thread out a lot more, particularly with background information about Ar Ciel and Song Magic, but (a) I don't have that much time currently, (b) it would have been mostly information available elsewhere, and (c) it would have been huge. Please peruse the Wiki linked above if you're interested, or the official page for the characters)

Edit: Some more screenshots
In order: cutscene, dungeon exploration, city map, cosmosphere diving, battle, inn.
2011-03-29_23-21-20jyzx.jpg

2011-03-29_23-05-54eaz8.jpg

2011-03-29_23-55-40f994.jpg

2011-03-30_00-33-03w9el.jpg

2011-03-29_23-47-40xzrd.jpg

2011-03-29_23-56-37o9bj.jpg

Lain

Can't wait.
One of the best thing about this, is that it has dual audio. Not every publisher gets it, especially when they have all the space in the world on a BRD to put it in (fuck you SE).

Durante

So, are the images in the OP refusing to load for anyone else? Would be a stupid time for abload.de to crap out after working flawlessly for years.

Durante said:
So, are the images in the OP refusing to load for anyone else? Would be a stupid time for abload.de to crap out after working flawlessly for years.
They weren't loading at first, but are now. Edit: Wait, now they're half up, half down.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Played this to death already, but I gotta show my support for all things AT! Hopefully this thread will make up for the woefully neglected import thread (damn you ff13!).

play the first two games, for your own sakes

Durante said:
Try imgur.com

Volcynika

Durante said:

Stuck on loading for whatever reason.

Durante

luka said:
Try imgur.com
I will, but only if abload doesn't recover in the next few hours. Imgur recompresses images a bit too much for my taste.

It's just fantastic that abload has problems (I notice) for the first time ever when I'm posting an OT (which happens maybe once a year or so).

Edit:
Looks like abload is back. Whew.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
I will, but only if abload doesn't recover in the next few hours. Imgur recompresses images a bit too much for my taste.

It's just fantastic that abload has problems (I notice) for the first time ever when I'm posting an OT (which happens maybe once a year or so).

Edit:
Looks like abload is back. Whew.

If you want, I could host it for you.

Durante

B.K. said:
I haven't even played Ar Tonelico 1 or 2 yet. :/
You should. Particularly 2. Fantastic game, would have been one of the top JRPGs ever with a better translation.

kiryogi said:
If you want, I could host it for you.
If you have the bandwidth I'd be happy to take you up on that offer.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
You should. Particularly 2. Fantastic game, would have been one of the top JRPGs ever with a better translation.

If you have the bandwidth I'd be happy to take you up on that offer.

Well I offered didn't I? Haha. I'm still having trouble with those pics loading myself. However you want to send them to me.

This sounds like a cool game, but I think I'll take the suggestion above and hit up AT2 first, so I have some idea of what I'm getting into.

There'll probably be a price drop on 3 in the UK by the time I'm done with 2 as well.

thundr51

Been working on AT2 for a while now so Its time I finished it. Also picked up AT1. Not sure if I'll ever get to it, but can't wait for AT3.

Audioboxer

B.K. said:
I haven't even played Ar Tonelico 1 or 2 yet. :/

Same! But for some reason I want to get this...

£29.99 for launch, but I think I'll have to wait till it's cheaper.

My money is going to Yakuza this month.

Durante

Switched the image hosting to the one provided by kiryogi, thanks for that!

Also, a surprising influx of awesome junior members here.

Preordered and now just waiting for it to ship.

Played both 1 and 2, but never actually finished them. Not even sure if I would finish 2 which I been trying to get through lately in time either.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
RurouniZel said:
Great OP. Can't wait for this! ^_^
Didn't you finish it already? Or are you just that big of a fan? ;)

I would totally buy it again if they added a minimap for the Clusternia Governorate.

*shudder*

Makoto

I'm very interested in this game but I just need one good gameplay video (not a trailer) of what I can expect after the initial levels. Right now I'm at, sooner or later I'll pick this up, but a good video of the battle system could make it day one.

Durante said:
(I actually wanted to flesh this thread out a lot more, particularly with background information about Ar Ciel and Song Magic, but (a) I don't have that much time currently, (b) it would have been mostly information available elsewhere, and (c) it would have been huge. Please peruse the Wiki linked above if you're interested, or the official page for the characters)

Ah darn, why not? It would have been nice (since I have no information on the series at all...)

Acosta

Yay, I had to get the first ones after completely falling in love with the music (I discovered hymns watching the first Ar 3 trailer from TGS, and Durante helped me explaining what the game was about). The first one was actually expensive and I know the second has localization problems, but the idea of having the complete trilogy appealed to me.

I still have to complete the first one, but I'm pretty sure I'm near and is being very enjoyable. Too much combats but it has some really great details (and a incredible soundtrack). I'll get the third one as soon as I can.

Durante

vidal said:
I'm very interested in this game but I just need one good gameplay video (not a trailer) of what I can expect after the initial levels. Right now I'm at, sooner or later I'll pick this up, but a good video of the battle system could make it day one.
I wish I could help you with that, but I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers beyond the basic gameplay mechanics, since this is (was :/) pretty much my favorite active JRPG series. And searching for a good late game battle video wouldn't be very conducive to avoiding spoilers!

Dedication Through Light said:
Ah darn, why not?
Because of (a), (b), and (c) ;)
But seriously, I'll try to update the thread gradually with some more background stuff.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
luka said:
Didn't you finish it already? Or are you just that big of a fan? ;)

I would totally buy it again if they added a minimap for the Clusternia Governorate.

*shudder*

Yep, beat it with all 8 endings.

Buying it again in English. :D

Durante

cyclenut said:
Aside from the actual game itself, what excites me the most is the soundtrack. The two previous ones were amazing.
True story: the AT hymmnos soundtracks are the only video game music CDs I ever bought.
(I did buy the NieR OST digitally)

Izayoi said:
Why the wide face?
As I said in the OP, some fans consider the 3rd game's OST the weakest of the bunch. Having listened to them all a lot I sort of agree, but it's still pretty damn good, and some of the songs -- like the one linked in the OP -- are as fantastic as anything in 1 or 2.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
cyclenut said:
Yeah, why so sad? Is the soundtrack not good?
Just don't expect too much.

The ost is decent at best. The hymmns are amazing, but overall it doesn't come close to the originals. (I still bought everything like a good little fan)

Durante

luka said:
The hymmns are amazing, but overall it doesn't come close to the originals.
Truth be told, I actually never thought that the normal background music in the series was all that amazing. The hymmns are what has always defined the series' music for me.

Izayoi

Banned
Durante said:
As I said in the OP, some fans consider the 3rd game's OST the weakest of the bunch.
I disagree.

Durante said:
Truth be told, I actually never thought that the normal background music in the series was all that amazing. The hymmns are what has always defined the series' music for me.
Seriously. The background music has never been all that special.

I have one question before I decide to make a purchase.

I don't like RPGs too much, mostly because they're too serious, or because of the battle system. The only non-Nintendo one I like is the Tales series (which I happen to really love). I also don't like the first two Ar Tonelico games. Do you think I'll like Ar Tonelico 3? Its battle system looks so awesome and fun, but so did Star Ocean's... :(

Durante

That depends on why you didn't like Ar Tonelico 2. Personally I can't think of any good reason, but that's just me :p
The battle system is completely different, so if that was the reason you may be in luck. Though I can't imagine anyone disliking AT2's battle system, it's utterly awesome.

zoku88

Izayoi said:
I disagree.

Seriously. The background music has never been all that special.
Agreed, I don't really like most of the BGMs besides a couple in AT2...

The hymns were always pretty good, and I seem to like some of AT3's hymns that I've heard.

I found AT2's battle system to be much improved over AT1's boring one >.>

Truthfully, I didn't really like AT1 that much...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Why would you do that? said:
I have one question before I decide to make a purchase.

I don't like RPGs too much, mostly because they're too serious, or because of the battle system. The only non-Nintendo one I like is the Tales series (which I happen to really love). I also don't like the first two Ar Tonelico games. Do you think I'll like Ar Tonelico 3? Its battle system looks so awesome and fun, but so did Star Ocean's... :(

The battle system is far less complex than Star Ocean or Tales of, but it's fun in its own right. While I'd love everyone to like Ar Tonelico, if you didn't like the first two games I doubt you'll be too keen on this one. :(

Durante said:
That depends on why you didn't like Ar Tonelico 2. Personally I can't think of any good reason, but that's just me :p
The battle system is completely different, so if that was the reason you may be in luck. Though I can't imagine anyone disliking AT2's battle system, it's utterly awesome.

I as well, feel AT2 had an amazing battle system.

Durante said:
RurouniZel said:
The battle system is far less complex than Star Ocean or Tales of, but it's fun in its own right. While I'd love everyone to like Ar Tonelico, if you didn't like the first two games I doubt you'll be too keen on this one. :(

I as well, feel AT2 had an amazing battle system.
Huh, this is kinda embarrassing. It turns out I never played 2, I only played 1. It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I didn't like the battle system or the world/dungeons, and the fact that there was soooo much taking.

As someone who feels Star Ocean is too complex for its own good, I embrace a less complex battle system.
I guess I'll get Qoga and give it a chance. Thanks for your help. :)

Quixzlizx

Why would you do that? said:
Huh, this is kinda embarrassing. It turns out I never played 2, I only played 1. It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I didn't like the battle system or the world/dungeons, and the fact that there was soooo much taking.

As someone who feels Star Ocean is too complex for its own good, I embrace a less complex battle system.
I guess I'll get Qoga and give it a chance. Thanks for your help. :)

If you meant talking, then maybe this isn't the series for you.

I also thought the battle system (if a bit easy) and world of the first game were top notch for a JRPG.

Top Bottom