• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar Tonelico Qoga |OT| - Singing the Song that Ends the World

So I heard this loud thump on my door and figured it had to be the mailman since whenever he delivers packages he likes to toss them like he's going for a hail mary pass. I took a few pictures including a comparison pic of the huge cantevenfitonyourdvdshelf box!

ar_1.jpg

2vmc1eg.jpg

ar_3.jpg

I honestly didn't expect it to come this fast.

graywolf323

RPGFan gave a pretty harsh review :-/

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Ar_tonelico_Qoga/index.html

Kimberly Wallace said:
Scorecard

Graphics:
73%

Sound:
83%

Gameplay:
65%

Control:
70%

Story:
68%

Overall:
68%

Pros:
Cameos from characters of past games, unique character relationships, multiple endings.

Cons:
Overused dungeons, tasteless sexual content, typical JRPG plot, sluggish battles, high random encounter rate.

Bottom Line:
If you've played the first two games, you'll probably want to play this, but don't expect a praise-worthy game.

I still want it but still leaning towards waiting, my local GameStop still has an Atelier Rorona LE that now sells for $40 (gonna pick that up soon before it finally sells)

squall211

Is it necessary/highly recommended to play the first two games before jumping into the third? I see the first two are reasonably priced on Amazon and was considering getting them and playing those before playing the third.

Volcynika

squall211 said:
Is it necessary/highly recommended to play the first two games before jumping into the third? I see the first two are reasonably priced on Amazon and was considering getting them and playing those before playing the third.

Already been asked earlier, it is not necessary, but they're pretty fun games. If you're in the US, you might find them cheaper at the NIS America store with free shipping. You'll only miss some references here and there if anything, the stories are pretty self-contained with their own stuff, though they all exist in the same universe. (Three towers, each game focuses on a story with one tower)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
squall211 said:
My stock answer to this question: playing the originals isn't necessary, but you should do it anyway because it gives more relevance and meaning to the plot, and you should do it simply because they're better games.

Jomjom

Banned
Dunno if this has been posted already, but earlier today NISA sent me an email telling me that Ar Tonelico 1 and 2 are both back in stock for 19.99. Get them now!

Durante

68% seems like a good omen, that is the exact metacritic average for my GotY 2010.

RPGamer had a review for AT3 a while ago by the way, it got a 3.5/5.

Dresden

Aw, man. I was looking forward to this but with how many games I have sitting unwrapped and/or unplayed it just wouldn't be responsible of me to get it now. :(

lljride

Just checked the mail and no AT3. I knew there was almost no chance it'd be here already but had to be sure. Oh well, hopefully Mon or Tues at the latest.

kiryogi

Banned
Heh since the jp release and what I've seen... I haven't been impressed or too excited for it. Still its the finale to Ar Tonelico thus far. But I'm pretty sure 2 is the best of the 3 to date.

Durante

How About No said:
That has to be the least M-rated cover for an M-rated game I've ever seen.
As I pointed out in the first post, the game is rated M in the US and 12 everywhere else. So yeah...

Went ahead and preordered this off of Amazon a few minutes ago. Won't get here until Friday, but that's fine. I'm undecided on whether it gets to sit on the shelf for a bit until I play and finish AT2.

Volcynika

expy said:
Hearing that some people who ordered the Calendar set didn't get their OSTs with it... lol NISA.

Things like that happen. Just yesterday, I got a movie from Amazon that I didn't order at all, instead of the movie I did order. No big deal.

cyclenut

Volcynika said:
Things like that happen. Just yesterday, I got a movie from Amazon that I didn't order at all, instead of the movie I did order. No big deal.

I'm sorry, but imo that is a big deal.

IIRC, there was a problem with NISA's limited Neptunia Release with people missing some of their cards.

Maybe if it was just one person, but if i'm reading correctly more than one person is missing an OST from their calender set. The OST is one of the main reasons for my pre-order.

If i'm paying $70+ for a limited box set, everything should be in there.

Volcynika

cyclenut said:
I'm sorry, but imo that is a big deal.

IIRC, there was a problem with NISA's limited Neptunia Release with people missing some of their cards.

Maybe if it was just one person, but if i'm reading correctly more than one person is missing an OST from their calender set. The OST is one of the main reasons for my pre-order.

If i'm paying $70+ for a limited box set, everything should be in there.

Guess you'll have to deal with human error then. As long as they rectify their issue and send a replacement, I don't see it as that huge of an issue. Not like the game itself would be missing, which would be quite annoying.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So NISA isn't known to underproduce their product right? I want to get this game but I honestly promised myself that I wouldn't buy most games full price at launch anymore since I end up not playing most of them.

Trojita said:
So NISA isn't known to underproduce their product right? I want to get this game but I honestly promised myself that I wouldn't buy most games full price at launch anymore since I end up not playing most of them.
At worst, you wait a while to buy it and may end up paying at least $10-$20 over initial retail price. Trinity Universe and Neptunia were both above their retail for a moment there, but they're back down to $60-ish now.

Quixzlizx

For some reason NISA sent my package registered mail, so I was welcomed by a card instead of a package when I got home from work. WHY

matmanx1

I'm on the East Coast so I honestly didn't expect mine until tomorrow anyway. I'm off Wednesday and Thursday so hopefully I'll be able to put some good time into it then.

Seeing the calendar in that pic above makes me wonder exactly how embarrassing it is. Knowing this series I'm expecting it to be NSFW (Not Safe for Wife!).

Vrakanox

Well, this game is currently exceeding my expectations. It's like they took the best of the first two, melded them together, and then just upgraded everything.

I'm actually enjoying this less than AT2 so far. I really liked the mechanics of 2's battle system, but the combat in this one is so simple. Maybe it'll grow on me a bit more, as I didn't get to play it much today.

graywolf323

NISA can go either way

Hyperdimension Neptunia has already become a little hard to find while quite a few GameStop's still have launch stock of Atelier Rorona

kiryogi

Banned
AtomskEater said:
I'm actually enjoying this less than AT2 so far. I really liked the mechanics of 2's battle system, but the combat in this one is so simple. Maybe it'll grow on me a bit more, as I didn't get to play it much today.

This is probably what turns me off most about ArT3. Hearing how simplified it's become with its change to real time. I absolutely loved what ArT2 had to offer on all fronts. Honestly I started with 2, still haven't touched 1 and don't think I could after how much advancement 2 has made.

Now I'm feeling iffy about 3. I mean off the bat during the original release when I hear the soundtrack, I was pretty mixed about it. The hymns definitely don't compare to the first two titles. But then again upon re listening recently they're clicking a bit more. Also on another bit, can't say I care much about the heroine designs this time around either... Going to go in with low expectations.

tiff

Banned
Mine came in today. Calendar, soundtrack and all.

Won't be able to play it for a while though. Can't wait until I can run through this series.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I finally broke down and preordered it.

What the hell happened to Double Jump books by the way? They seemed to have died out after making the terrible guide for the horrible game Cross Edge.

Trojita said:
I finally broke down and preordered it.

What the hell happened to Double Jump books by the way? They seemed to have died out after making the terrible guide for the horrible game Cross Edge.

Well after the Cross Edge guide, they made ones for Little King Story, Mana Khemia 2, A Witch's Story, Last Rebellion (lol), and Sakura Wars. They also made short guides for the additions for the Disgaea 2 PSP port and the Phantom Brave Wii port.

But basically they haven't made anything recently IIRC, Gamestop doesn't bother ordering their guides anymore since they don't see a market for them. Not to mention, most of the last things they made were pretty much on Amazon's demand to order, things don't look that great for them. :[

dakkumauji said:
Well after the Cross Edge guide, they made ones for Little King Story, Mana Khemia 2, A Witch's Story, Last Rebellion (lol), and Sakura Wars. They also made short guides for the additions for the Disgaea 2 PSP port and the Phantom Brave Wii port.

But basically they haven't made anything recently IIRC, Gamestop doesn't bother ordering their guides anymore since they don't see a market for them. Not to mention, most of the last things they made were pretty much on Amazon's demand to order, things don't look that great for them. :[

Actually I don't think the Sakura Wars guide was ever released.

dakkumauji said:

I thought went exclusively online? I remember getting Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days on their site (well e-book) and was gonna get Persona 1 Portable but they had isshu's with it.

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought went exclusiveky online? I remember getting Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days on their site (well e-book) and was gonna get Persona 1 Portable but they had isshu's with it.

Well I don't remember if Little King Story was before or after Cross Edge, but that with the first Prinny PSP game were printed. Also, the Disgaea 2 PSP and Mana Khemia 2 were also available from Amazon as well as an online edition.

I guess they gave up the Amazon print-on-demand and went online only for the remaining guides.

I recently bought AT1 and 2. I've yet to play them and I'm thinking about putting Tales of the Abyss and Mana Khemia 2 aside for AT1/2. Good Idea? Cause I really want to get AT3 and I havent even played an AT game yet!

Dante23

Volcynika said:
My copy came in, everything looks fine. Just waiting on it to install. :/

Ah crap, how much space requires for the install? My HDD is pretty much full, I hate erasing files.

Dante23

Volcynika said:
Back of the box says 5120MB.

Thank you!

That will be a lot of file moving. Well, at least I'll be able to figure out what to erase while my game arrives (Might be weeks :( )

Top Bottom