• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ar Tonelico Qoga |OT| - Singing the Song that Ends the World

Khrno

Durante said:
Untitled-4.jpg

Nice bullshot there. Hope people are waiting on the game like me, for the gameplay, story and music, and not for the graphics, because that is its weakest department.

cj_iwakura

I really just care about the music and gameplay. The plot is generally pretty bad.

Croix was an exception because he had a spine.

Durante

Khrno said:
Nice bullshot there. Hope people are waiting on the game like me, for the gameplay, story and music, and not for the graphics, because that is its weakest department.
That's an interesting thing to say, considering that I captured this screenshot from my own japanese copy of the game, running in my own PS3, using my own capturing hardware.

No one hates bullshots more than I do.

(That doesn't mean that the graphics are anything to write home about, but the image quality with 720p 4xAA is very good for a console game -- and I really don't appreciate my own screenshots being called bullshots)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Khrno said:
oh you. No bullshots here. The game runs at 60fps with 4xMSAA and looks gorgeous. Amazing backgrounds, bright colors and nice shading. The animations are definitely on the "budget" side but I loved the overall look of the game.

cj_iwakura said:
I really just care about the music and gameplay. The plot is generally pretty bad.

Croix was an exception because he had a spine.
The plot for the games is definitely standard jrpg fare, but what this series excels at is world bulding. Everything about the history and cultures and locations are impeccably realized and incredibly compelling, if you allow yourself to be immersed in them.

Makoto

luka said:
The game runs at 60fps with 4xMSAA and looks gorgeous.

I did not know that. Perhaps that alone will make that a day one purchase. One reason I was weary of Ar Tonelico was because NISA was publishing and since they recently released Hyperdimension Neptunia (different game, different developers, I know), I thought this game would be, budget graphics at an unacceptable framerate like Neptunia.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
vidal said:
I did not know that. Perhaps that alone will make that a day one purchase. One reason I was weary of Ar Tonelico was because NISA was publishing and since they recently released Hyperdimension Neptunia (different game, different developers, I know), I thought this game would be, budget graphics at an unacceptable framerate like Neptunia.
Yeah, Gust is a niche developer with a tight budget, but they still manage to put out very solid, polished games (until NISA hacks them up but good :D ). As long as people don't go in expecting a big budget masterpiece out of this, they'll be pleased.

I had mixed feelings on a lot of AT3's elements (iffy music, most of the plot, higher than normal levels of fanservice, character designs) but I still had a lot of fun with it (enough to finish it 4 times)!

Durante

cj_iwakura said:
If Gust can do ANYTHING well, it's visuals.
I wouldn't say that, Gust can do a lot of things well. Like music. Or alchemy. Or coming up with new gameplay systems that are often pretty interesting. Even characters.

But they are indeed pretty good at making graphically pleasing games on very small budgets.

Khrno

Durante said:
That's an interesting thing to say, considering that I captured this screenshot from my own japanese copy of the game, running in my own PS3, using my own capturing hardware.

(That doesn't mean that the graphics are anything to write home about, but the image quality with 720p 4xAA is very good for a console game -- and I really don't appreciate my own screenshots being called bullshots)

Can't argue with that if you said so. Maybe the 26"s we use at work are shit since they are first gen Bravia, either way, that's not how the PAL version looked to me a few weeks ago.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I just ordered the game, looking forward to the great character designs and awesome music.

There better be any Luca-level characters in this game, she was so rage-inducing in AT2.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hcoregamer00 said:
There better be any Luca-level characters in this game, she was so rage-inducing in AT2.
You just don't understand!

。・゚(ノД`)゚・。

Thanks for those links, I guess I will read through them before I boot up the game. Hm someone should have done like P4 and uploaded their entire gameplay of the first and second on youtube, then I could at least watch; but readings good too. (Do you really have to protect the song caster deep in the midst of battle? fast paced battles?))

I do not see anything wrong with the graphics, sure not as ornate as Eternal Sonata, or with beautiful corridors like FFXIII, or cool environments and monsters like SO:TLHI, but still nice looking from all the screenshots I saw.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hcoregamer00 said:
She rubbed me the wrong way after her big "plot twist"
If you only do Chroche's route yeah she really does seem like a conniving bitch. That was my only real complaint with AT2's storytelling. The entire Infelsphere phase only focused on and sympathized with the chosen girl.

Hcoregamer00

luka said:
If you only do Chroche's route yeah she really does seem like a conniving bitch. That was my only real complaint with AT2's storytelling. The entire Infelsphere phase only focused on and sympathized with the chosen girl.

Yeah, I did choose Cloche's route because of the plot twist. It is not like I liked her much more, but Luca rubbed me the wrong way after the plot twist, so choosing Cloche was a natural choice. I am sure it wont shock anyone whose Cosmosphere I completely went through and which one I completely ignored.

Speaking of Cosmosphere will the system in Ar Tonelico 3 be any different? It took me a long time to get used to the cosmosphere, but once I got it down it got really addicting.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hcoregamer00 said:
Speaking of Cosmosphere will the system in Ar Tonelico 3 be any different? It took me a long time to get used to the cosmosphere, but once I got it down it got really addicting.

Honestly it's been like, a year since I've played it so the specific differences are a bit hazy. IIRC it works basically the same as AT2, level-wise. There are some cool twists and pretty stange stuff that happens, especially in Finnel's CS. There also seemed to be a lot more choices, and the meta game has several different endings this time. There are also several optional points with hooks for the Binary World DLC.

matmanx1

Woohoo, AT3 time! Loved the first 2 games in the series and can't wait for number 3 to arrive. Next week I am officially on RPG overload with AT3, Yakuza 4 (which is sort of an RPG) and Okamiden.

AT3 is definitely getting first play because it's been longer since I played an AT game (finished number 2 back in 2009) and because I am anxious to see the transition to the PS3 with the new battle system. I'm getting the NIS store Cosmosphere version so hopefully NISA will ship them out promptly!

bh7812

Banned
cyclenut said:
Aside from the actual game itself, what excites me the most is the soundtrack. The two previous ones were amazing.

From what I heard in a Youtube video showing the 1st 10 minutes of the English version of the game, I liked it quite a bit. I've played through most of AT1 and 2 and feel just in those 1st 10 mins in terms of music the 3rd game surpasses the other two.

I was also impressed with it visually, it seems to have made the true leap to PS3..and hopefully there will be NO save file corruption like what happened with the last 2 games when you play those on PS3! That was the only reason I didn't get to see the end of either game.

I've got it pre-ordered and picking it up next week along with my pre-ordered Yakuza 4!

Durante

Khrno said:
Can't argue with that if you said so. Maybe the 26"s we use at work are shit since they are first gen Bravia, either way, that's not how the PAL version looked to me a few weeks ago.
Well, the screenshot is scaled down from 720p, but oter than that it's untouched. I could capture one a few frames before or after, but I really don't think I need to prove the point. Who would release a press shot with a partially blended in dialogue box? (Look in the upper left area)

Big Papa Husker said:
Do you have to have a RAID set-up to capture without choppiness? One review I read a while ago said that.
It depends, FRAPS with its standard compression works pretty well on a normal HDD at 720p, as long as you stick to 30 FPS. I capture to an SSD though.

Lain

Hcoregamer00 said:
I just ordered the game, looking forward to the great character designs and awesome music.

I loved Luca, even after the plot twist. She was just so awesome and a bit crazy. Waifu material in other words.

Audioboxer

Durante said:

lol, good reply.

I've started playing SO4 International again in the mean time till I can afford to pick this up.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Do you need to have played AT1 and 2 to get what's going on in this game? Those screens look great.

Quixzlizx

I still haven't received a shipping notification :(

Although, I haven't played the second game yet, so I don't really know why it needs to get here ASAP. I should probably just bite the bullet and muddle through the localization.

Durante

djtiesto said:
Do you need to have played AT1 and 2 to get what's going on in this game? Those screens look great.
Not really, it takes place in a separate location (one of the 3 remaining inhabitable regions on the planet). There are some recurring characters, but nothing major as far as I know. Of course, you are missing out on quite some background information and world lore.

The main reason you should have played AT2 is that it's fucking awesome ;)

Quixzlizx said:
Although, I haven't played the second game yet, so I don't really know why it needs to get here ASAP. I should probably just bite the bullet and muddle through the localization.
Were you waiting for the retranslation project? That seems to have mostly stalled, which is a shame.

Makoto

I'm convinced. I'm going to pre-order Ar Tonelico on Amazon. I mean, I have to since it seems Amazon only takes a small number of NISA published games. After that, it's all left into the hands of third party sellers, which by looking at Neptunia, is what will happen if I wait for a price drop.

I am ready for the 60 FPS, M-rated, enjoyable music if I set my expectations low, realtime combat RPG goodness.

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
I still haven't received a shipping notification :(

Understandably so, I played through a good 26 hours of the game until the game crashed on me after a series of events with no save points. I was so frustrated about the terrible bugs that I stopped playing it.

The greatest thing about a PS3 release is that they could release a patch if it ever got devastating bugs like in Ar Tonlico 2.

matmanx1

vidal said:
I'm convinced. I'm going to pre-order Ar Tonelico on Amazon. I mean, I have to since it seems Amazon only takes a small number of NISA published games. After that, it's all left into the hands of third party sellers, which by looking at Neptunia, is what will happen if I wait for a price drop.

I am ready for the 60 FPS, M-rated, enjoyable music if I set my expectations low, realtime combat RPG goodness.

Jeez, what happened to make Neptunia so expensive? I still see it in Gamestop's around me for the standard $59.99.

Anyway, if the first 2 games in the series are any judge I am quite sure that AT3 will blow Neptunia (and Trinity) out of the water as far as gameplay goes just because it's a GUST title and not an IF one. AT 2 is criminally under appreciated considering how good the battle system and music is as compared to it's peers on the PS2.

kiryogi

Banned
Whelp charged. Now pending fulfillment. I imagine I'd have mine shipped already if I didn't delay the charge until today.

Makoto

luka said:
I had mixed feelings on a lot of AT3's elements (iffy music, most of the plot, higher than normal levels of fanservice, character designs) but I still had a lot of fun with it (enough to finish it 4 times)!

Interesting, how long was your first playthrough?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
vidal said:
Interesting, how long was your first playthrough?
Longer than AT1, but shorter than 2. About 40 hours. NG+ lets you skip the entire first phase (~10 hours) as all the ending choices start in phase 2. It goes back to the 3 phase structure from the first game (AT2 had 5).

Axiom

Well I just pre-ordered this and Neptunia from EB for the end of the month. I look forward to AT and trying to enjoy the game humour in Neptunia despite its flaws.

I just wish both games weren't incredibly pervy, especially since the PS3 is in the living room.

Durante

luka said:
NG+ lets you skip the entire first phase (~10 hours) as all the ending choices start in phase 2.
That's great to hear. I usually just kept a save at the start of each phase in the previous games and used that. But being able to actually use a real NG+ without doing the unchanging part again is much better.

I'm getting quite hyped, so much so that I played some AT2 again today.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
A Huge Battleship said:
AT3 has an intuitive NG+? Alleluia.

Decision time cometh in AT1 and unusually I have no clear route preference. Time to flip a coin.
Well, considering any reasonable person ends up with Syurelia in the end, it didn't really matter. ;)

Axiom said:
Well I just pre-ordered this and Neptunia from EB for the end of the month. I look forward to AT and trying to enjoy the game humour in Neptunia despite its flaws.

I just wish both games weren't incredibly pervy, especially since the PS3 is in the living room.
Fear not, the game has an oyakita button! ;)

Top Bottom