• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia |OT| of "MUST ANSWER MY CALLING"

Boney

Banned
duckroll said:
Wrong. They actually wasted money dubbing this in Japan, which is probably worse.
Didn't know that'd they do that. I'd guess the directors want check out the actors for themselves? It's still pretty wierd though.

Man this game is going to die a horrible death :(
But I'm part of the "problem" since I'm not getting it, maybe a few years from now, I'll snag it very very cheap.

PS: Reason number 1 I couldn't really get into Baten Kaitos: That voice acting.

zigg

Boney said:

BK was only partially offensive. My mind was blown by that one little girl's voice, though. So terrible.

It still managed to be one of my favorite RPGs, though. Such a neat battle system. Of course, BKO blew it away, and had a great localization to boot... but that's getting dangerously off-topic. :D

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ushojax said:
From what I understand, JP devs/pubs can be quite stubborn about this, and often insist or recording in Japan with local, often shitty actors. Doesn't excuse the script, but I'll give them a break on the VA. There was a big feature on JP localisations in GamesTM a few months ago, and it went into quite a lot of detail on this sort of thing, with an interview with the guy who did the original MGS localisation (which Kojima hated and has tried to retcon ever since). A lot of JP companies are overprotective to an absurd degree.

Blaustein's feud with Kojima was mostly influenced by Scott Dolph's intermission on the translation only after the launch of the game in the west. All MGS's VA has been handled in Califnornia regardless of the translator, and that was one of the favorite parts of Kojima (and one of the reasons why Integral was released on JPN with english VO, MGS2 had the same treatment as well)

As a side note, both MGS Saga Vol 2 and Lunar Knights' english VO were recorded in Japan and there's great acting involved.

TL;DR version: There's good english talent in Japan, but if the dev and/or pub doesn't give a shit regarding the localization work, there's nothing else to do.

Ricker

The game looks good for a Wii game...it`s 480p... Clyde guy and the other ``older`` guy`s voices aren`t that bad,or i`m just getting use to it I guess hehe...the text seems fine so far,no typo`s or anything early on.The battle system is slowly starting to shine,with a lot of options and upgrades to your weapons and magic,so much that there`s a few things I don`t get yet...the controls with the Nunchuk and Wiimote actually work pretty well and are fun to use also.

Ricker

Damn,either the game is hard or there`s grinding to be done or I`m missing,not understanding some of the upgrade weapon part,the arm force thing where you can add gems,or I haven`t upgraded my magic right ...? but there`s an early Boss I don`t even come close in beating yet...time to find a good room to run in and out of.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
Ignition probably doesn't have the contacts that Bandai Entertainment does. :lol

How long has Ignition been in business? I find it hard to believe they can remain in business as I don’t know of one game they have done a good job on. But yet, they still get contracts and are somehow able to stick around where there are actually good companies that fold.

Ricker said:
Damn,either the game is hard or there`s grinding to be done or I`m missing,not understanding some of the upgrade weapon part,the arm force thing where you can add gems,or I haven`t upgraded my magic right ...? but there`s an early Boss I don`t even come close in beating yet...time to find a good room to run in and out of.

Really? I was sure I remembered reading about the game being pretty easy when the Japanese release was being discussed. Are there difficulty options?

Picked this up yesterday. Played for a bit.
Just for a heads up, regardless of the volume of the voices you set, the English voices remain in the FMV cut scenes.
Decided to be weird and try to play the game with the voices on. I'm getting used to the voices of L'arc and Ryfia. The acting is still horrible though.
The game plays fine to me.
I might post more impressions later (If I can stop playing Dragon Quest IX long enough to play Arc Rise Fantasia again.)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Didn't know this is out... will probably buy with birthday money. PLEASE tell me you can just turn VA off (I usually do this in games anyways).

Bargain Bin or Bust for me. A VA off switch is nice, but could just be backpedaling on Ignitions part and that doesn't impress.

I shall purchase Ys Seven Limited instead.

Shirokun

Freyjadour said:
Bargain Bin or Bust for me. A VA off switch is nice, but could just be backpedaling on Ignitions part and that doesn't impress.

2mydxeh.jpg

Somebody has pretty high standards for voice acting and localization. :D

I actually DO like Grandia, btw.

zigg

Krispy Killa v3 said:
Okay, so is this game out NOW in the US or does it come out July 27th? im so confused

They said it shipped yesterday; available in some places (specifically GameStops) already, might take till the 27th other places. Call ahead, or order online and wait.

man as one of the games that got me to finally break down and buy a wii it pains me a bit to see how poorly shitgnition handled this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
duckroll said:
It's kinda sad that Image Epoch can't really ever catch a break. Previously the only games which were localized overseas were Luminous Arc games by Atlus. But it seems even Atlus has dropped the third game. Then World Destruction and Arc Rise Fantasia take over a year to get localized, only to have a shitty low-key release and a sub-par localization. Their best selling game in Japan is 7th Dragon, and it probably has the best chance of actually getting the developer some decent attention, but it's not going to be localized at all. Can't wait to see Capcom drop the ball on Last Ranker too.

I was hyped for this game to because I like what it was trying to do, and despite the scores I had a really fun time playing Luminous Arc 1 on my DS. I never got around to picking up the sequel, but I fully beat the 1st game. One of my better DS experiences honestly. Sucks when a company just can't catch a break!

ZealousD said:
Wow... that's just bad.
duckroll said:
Wrong. They actually wasted money dubbing this in Japan, which is probably worse.
duckroll said:
I mean what I said. Ignition contracted the dub out to a Japanese dub studio to handle the English voice track. Remember Baten Kaitos 1's dub? That was done the same way. It's way cheaper, and the quality is about what you pay for. :p
e9z2ja.jpg

sonitii

So the game is finally hitting NA shelves. Seems like we've been hearing about this game forever. I want to get it but I have so many games to play through as it is. We'll see.

mjc

I'll wait for this to get cheaper before I buy it, if at all. I have to digest DQIX and P3P the rest of the summer.

Shirokun said:
2mydxeh.jpg

Somebody has pretty high standards for voice acting and localization. :D

I actually DO like Grandia, btw.
Grandia is laughably bad VA. And a PS1 game. My love for the game stems from the simple, but convincing story, but most importantly the battle system and character progression.

I have higher expectations for VA these days, especially when XSEED could've handled everything at a much higher quality.

TunaLover

Boney said:
Didn't know that'd they do that. I'd guess the directors want check out the actors for themselves? It's still pretty wierd though.

Man this game is going to die a horrible death :(
But I'm part of the "problem" since I'm not getting it, maybe a few years from now, I'll snag it very very cheap.

My main problem with Baten Kaitos wasn't the VA the alone, it was the terrible voices compresion.

zigg

TunaLover said:
My main problem with Baten Kaitos wasn't the VA the alone, it was the terrible voices compresion.

Was no longer an issue if you switched it to stereo. Obviously a problem to have to do that, but it did fix the quality issue.

TunaLover

zigg said:
Was no longer an issue if you switched it to stereo. Obviously a problem to have to do that, but it did fix the quality issue.
It only help to get a better output, but the compresion problem still there, it's easily noticeable when you compare it to Origins.

zigg

TunaLover said:
It only help to get a better output, but the compresion problem still there, it's easily noticeable when you compare it to Origins.

Not sure what you meant by compression then. Dynamic? Because before I switched mine to stereo, it sounded like it was digitally compressed to hell—"tin can" effect, if you will—but moving it to stereo made it sound just fine. I played on an analog stereo setup, though, so maybe that made a difference?

While Baten Kaitos dub wasn't the best, I really don't see how it compares to this. This on another level of bad. There were definitely iffy parts, but the main character himself was fine.

Ricker

Maxrpg said:
I support this game. I SUPPORT RPGS ON THE WII GODDAMMIT

Yes yes,if this sells well it should help bringing Xenoblade and Last Story to N.A....there,now there`s a good excuse to buy the game even though you hate the Voice Acting people :lol ;)

Seriously,besides the VA,the game is pretty good.

farnham

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
While Baten Kaitos dub wasn't the best, I really don't see how it compares to this. This on another level of bad. There were definitely iffy parts, but the main character himself was fine.
yeah but xelha was atrocious

and xelha is the heroine

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Looking forward to getting back home from my vacation and sinking my teeth into this one. :)

bh7812

Banned
Krispy Killa v3 said:
Okay, so is this game out NOW in the US or does it come out July 27th? im so confused

I was confused too so I went into my Gamestop yesterday. The guy swore up and down that the game is street dated and he can't sell it to me until the 27th. Said he has it but can't sell it to me until then. I like everyone at my GS except for this guy and I knew it was gonna be pointless to try to argue with him to try to get the game now. I put 5 bucks down on it just to ensure I get one, Ignition games are usually more difficult to find at least where I am. It wasn't a wasted trip though as I picked up Trinity Universe (praying that one won't crash on me at all since I'm reading some reports of that)

But anyway, some GS stores have it and will sell it now, some have it but are refusing to sell until Tuesday and others don't have it at all. I'd call ahead-I went in cause I wanted Trinity Universe anyway so it was easier to just ask then.

TunaLover

zigg said:
Not sure what you meant by compression then. Dynamic? Because before I switched mine to stereo, it sounded like it was digitally compressed to hell—"tin can" effect, if you will—but moving it to stereo made it sound just fine. I played on an analog stereo setup, though, so maybe that made a difference?
Yes, the "tin can" effect. And I played it in a analog stereo setup, and the "tin can" effect was present too, I have the stereo output pluged to a Hi-Fi sound system, maybe that's why the difference is more noticeable (respect other games). Becuase on TV speakers it sound just fine.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Ricker said:
Yes yes,if this sells well it should help bringing Xenoblade and Last Story to N.A....there,now there`s a good excuse to buy the game even though you hate the Voice Acting people :lol ;)

Seriously,besides the VA,the game is pretty good.

This may be the most true statement i've ever herd... just buy this game so they will bring better JRPGs over in the future.

Krispy Killa v3 said:
This may be the most true statement i've ever herd... just buy this game so they will bring better JRPGs over in the future.
What? No.

This is a profound misunderstanding of how Nintendo's localization process works for one and secondly I don't cotton to being held hostage by Shane Bettenhausen's sub-par work.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
The more JRPGs that get sold in American, the more they will bring over to America, I'm all for that.

Plus... What I really want is Xenoblades and The Last Story to be brought over more then anything at the moment

Boney

Banned
Krispy Killa v3 said:
Oh this game is a test from Capcom? Buy those light gun shooters people! WE WANT MORE RE4!!

I honestly wonder how much of a role Shane has in the localization process. Maybe it's out of his hands and/or his Indian corporate overlords won't let him hire a localization team (or steal people from Atlus). Either way, I'd really like to know what exactly he does, since I don't know what "Director of New Business Development" entails aside from him looking at games they might publish.

Volcynika

ShockingAlberto said:
What? No.

This is a profound misunderstanding of how Nintendo's localization process works for one and secondly I don't cotton to being held hostage by Shane Bettenhausen's sub-par work.

Yeah, the argument of "buy this game that has a sub-par localization in hopes that we might have a chance at seeing a title that's still in Japan" is an awful one, and it is wrong as you mentioned. That's not how a localization comes about. I aim to give my money to people that put out a good product.

Top Bottom