• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia |OT| of "MUST ANSWER MY CALLING"

Adam Prime said:
Damn this game looks GENERIC JRPG ADVENTURE VIII.

After trying it out for 9 hours or so, I would say that's the most accurate description of the game. Other than the bright visuals, its not really anything of note and the cringe worthy dialogue is another strike against it.

notworksafe

Krispy Killa v3 said:
I didn't know you were Neogafs official grammar policeman... does that come with a badge?
Jokes made about grammar in a thread about localization. Who'd have thought?

EDIT: Also, put an apostrophe before that "s", junior.

Ricker

notworksafe said:

Riiiight ....:lol

The only thing left for me to understand is the magic level...I might of missed that tutorial and the library doesn`t seem to explain what I don`t get,so maybe some of you guys starting the game will be able to explain it to me...for example,I have raised my magic level 1,5 times,my level 2,4 times and a bit of level 3 and 4 but I think I did the last 2 levels for nothing so far...if I go in the menu to heal someone for example,magic level 1 is the only one I can highlight...2,3 and 4 I can`t go to...

Some of the outfits are pretty awesome looking as well...you can`t actually see them when you are walking the fields and all but you can see them in the menu section when you check all your stats and stuff...nice little feature.

notworksafe

Ricker said:
Some of the outfits are pretty awesome looking as well...you can`t actually seem them when you are walking the fields and all but you can see them in the menu section when you check all your stats and stuff...nice little feature.
Great feature. Costumes that look awesome in a menu. :lol

Also, "who'd" is a contraction. Thanks for playing.

Volcynika

Do the different outfits appear in battle? Because if they don't, that's a pretty useless thing if you can only see them in the menu.

wrowa

Adam Prime said:
Damn this game looks GENERIC JRPG ADVENTURE VIII. Bleh, looks like a game for someone looking for a JRPG that doesn't own.... any other system other than a Wii.
It's not as if there are many non-generic JRPGs this console generation (or many JRPGs at all), so...

MechaX

Adam Prime said:
Giantbomb Quick Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-arc-rise-fantasia/17-2973/

Damn this game looks GENERIC JRPG ADVENTURE VIII. Bleh, looks like a game for someone looking for a JRPG that doesn't own.... any other system other than a Wii.

:-/

.. Eh... I was initially warming up to the game, but now I'm right back to the indecisive phase. This totally seems like it pulled a Grandia III; really fun and fast battle system and music, but extremely questionable story, characters, and voice acting. For $50? Eh...

Volcynika

MechaX said:
.. Eh... I was initially warming up to the game, but now I'm right back to the indecisive phase. This totally seems like it pulled a Grandia III; really fun and fast battle system and music, but extremely questionable story, characters, and voice acting. For $50? Eh...

Retail is actually $40, if that pushes you one way or the other.

I may be crazy, but I really love this game.

Is it generic? Yeah. Is it a blatant Tales rip-off? Sure.

But I'm really enjoying it.

I missed playing games like this. It's definitely much better than Dawn of the New World. That's not really saying much because there aren't too many traditional JRPGs on the Wii. And don't say Graces because that doesn't count. But the fact that ARF is better than DotNW is good enough to make the game worth playing.

But for now, unless Namco miraculously brings Graces over and when Xenoblade or Last Story comes over, Arc Rise is the best traditional JRPG on the Wii. That's my opinion on it. Don't care if anyone flames me for saying that because I like the game.

Aeana

MechaX said:
This game's battle system doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Grandia 3's.

Aeana said:
But it's still surprisingly pretty fun. When I heard turn-based, I cringed. But after playing it, it's not bad at all.

It's fast-paced which is why I like it. Other than the boss battles which should take more time in any JRPG, the battles are quick and brisk with no loading times.

I couldn't stand Skies of Arcadia's battle system. It was such a slog to go through even the weakest enemies. So I was pretty glad ARF's battle system is pretty fun.

Makes grinding less of a chore.

Atlagev

bernardobri said:
Blaustein's feud with Kojima was mostly influenced by Scott Dolph's intermission on the translation only after the launch of the game in the west. All MGS's VA has been handled in Califnornia regardless of the translator, and that was one of the favorite parts of Kojima (and one of the reasons why Integral was released on JPN with english VO, MGS2 had the same treatment as well)

As a side note, both MGS Saga Vol 2 and Lunar Knights' english VO were recorded in Japan and there's great acting involved.

TL;DR version: There's good english talent in Japan, but if the dev and/or pub doesn't give a shit regarding the localization work, there's nothing else to do.

Scott Dolph's intermission? What do you mean?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon/UPS delivered! I was worried that I got robbed of the preorder bonus, but the card thingies were actually sealed inside the case. Cool beans.

Anywho, I'll begin installing the game as soon as my PS3 finishes updating.

Toki767

Mejilan said:
Amazon/UPS delivered! I was worried that I got robbed of the preorder bonus, but the card thingies were actually sealed inside the case. Cool beans.

Anywho, I'll begin installing the game as soon as my PS3 finishes updating.
Why does it sound like you're talking about a completely different game? :lol

Mejilan

Toki767 said:
Why does it sound like you're talking about a completely different game? :lol

I'm talking about Arc Rise Fantasia.
Multiple consoles + 1 TV effectively means that I wasn't going to boot up the Wii while the PS3 was downloading and installing the newest firmware update.

But yeah, I'm now installing ARF. 4.16GBs! It's a big one. :)

Ricker

Most JRPG don`t show any outfit,armor change,etc, on the go so I just mentionned that at least it`s there in the menu...man,some of you guys really like to dislike this game,without even playing it of course :D ...but anyway,I was wondering why Mejilan was installing the game also hehe...oh and Volcynika,i`m willing to bet you will like this game as well. ;)

Aeana said:

Yeah I'm definitely not getting that impression here. Grandia 3 had AMAZING combat with a very mediocre story (hello Xtreme, my second favorite Grandia!). This looks like a very mediocre game with a godawful story.

Ricker said:
Most JRPG don`t show any outfit,armor change,etc, on the go so I just mentionned that at least it`s there in the menu...man,some of you guys really like to dislike this game,without even playing it of course :D ...but anyway,I was wondering why Mejilan was installing the game also hehe...oh and Volcynika,i`m willing to bet you will like this game as well. ;)

Jesus Christ man, your formatting kills me.

And there's plenty of reason to dislike this game, taking a bullet and buying it day one isn't really a requirement for this.

Freyjadour said:
Yeah I'm definitely not getting that impression here. Grandia 3 had AMAZING combat with a very mediocre story (hello Xtreme, my second favorite Grandia!). This looks like a very mediocre game with a godawful story.
Trust me, ARF's story is much better than Grandia III, even though it's your typical JRPG fare.

Grandia III was pretty bad. Which is a shame because the graphics, battle system, and gameplay was good.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Trust me, ARF's story is much better than Grandia III, even though it's your typical JRPG fare.

Grandia III was pretty bad. Which is a shame because the graphics, battle system, and gameplay was good.

Not really my point. Story is sort of irrelevant for me, in the sense of me playing a mediocre game, unless it's Xenogears or something.

Freyjadour said:
Not really my point. Story is sort of irrelevant for me, in the sense of me playing a mediocre game, unless it's Xenogears or something.
I'm really enjoying ARF and it really isn't that generic. It's solid stuff and fun and that's all that matters to me.

It's only bogged down by bad voice acting, but that's not the game's fault but Ignition. But once you get used to the voices, the game gets pretty good.

It is worth a laugh or two in the beginning though.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm really enjoying ARF and it really isn't that generic. It's solid stuff and fun and that's all that matters to me.

It's only bogged down by bad voice acting, but that's not the game's fault but Ignition. But once you get used to the voices, the game gets pretty good.

It is worth a laugh or two in the beginning though.

Oh I'd definitely turn off Voices as soon as the option is available. :lol

Aeana said:
Even with voices off, the stilted and unnatural dialog is really getting to me. I knew it would, tough.
I would think it's just bad translation. The same guy who wrote the original Symphonia wrote this, right? So I'm sure it's Ignition who struck once again.

Ashodin

I love the battle system - the Summon system is simplistic (it's actually more of a limit break thing), and the weapon system is interesting, if even the fact that you can't really share the weapon bonuses, they transfer only between several weapons.

MechaX

Aeana said:

After going a little bit farther in the Quick Look, there does seem to be something off about the boss battles in particular. Yeah, I guess harder bosses bring more of a challenge and more incentive to learn the ins-and-outs of the battle system, but it seems like they just hit really hard and that's it. Plus, the movement system and the "lose action points when your party member dies" mechanics seem pretty clumsily implemented so far.

Plus, such comments from Kessler and Jeff like "this game is pretty good if you're looking for a Wii JRPG!" get me a little. Okay, we have a JRPG that seemingly borrows a lot of tropes. Good for the gamer that only has a Wii and is pretty RPG starved, but what about... you know, people who play RPGs in general across all/most mediums?

The voice acting... hm... Is the VA in this game funny-bad or just flat out bad?

Honestly the time I spent playing didn't really change my mind. This game just doesn't do anything for the genre & at best its left for fans of formality.

Aeana

MechaX said:
The voice acting... hm... Is the VA in this game funny-bad or just flat out bad?
There's nothing funny about the voices. The localization is just really crappy all around.

MechaX

Aeana said:
There's nothing funny about the voices. The localization is just really crappy all around.

Ouch. If the voices were at least funny, I could give myself an incentive to listen to them. But I won't lie, the few voice clips I heard are almost throwbacks to the TurboGrafx16 days of voice acting and dialogue.

Mejilan

I only got to play for about half an hour before I got too tired to continue, but I'm honestly having a hard time deciding what's worse. The atrocious voice acting or the atrocious script.

Two things that I hate and believe should be stricken from the Book of RPGs forever: Random Encounters and Excessive Mandatory Grinding.

Is anyone else finding that even after scanning bosses, trying to exploit their weaknesses is proving pointless? Every boss I've basically had to strong arm. Grind, then go into battle and unleash everything you have Excel wise, go on defensive, repeat. Is upgrading your magic that important and does it really change the dynamic that much if you upgrade it constantly? I've primarily focused on grinding about 30-60 mins before each major dungeon when I find one, and I spend a good 2 hours unlocking all the weapon skills and creating the best weapon arrangements for my team. Like, there is zero strategy in this game to me other than grinding and winning the war of attrition.

And do your custom outfits hardly ever work in the 2D cut out convos? It's like random when they show up. Oh, and the Role AI options are absolute crap. Heal only should make my character ONLY HEAL, not heal whenever it's convenient, but attack and put yourself at risk at all other times. And haha @ manually fighting the remedial battles. Set all chars to No Magic, auto-fight, win. So emotionless and boring, yet there's so much to the battle system.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I may be crazy, but I really love this game.

Is it generic? Yeah. Is it a blatant Tales rip-off? Sure.

But I'm really enjoying it.

I missed playing games like this. It's definitely much better than Dawn of the New World. That's not really saying much because there aren't too many traditional JRPGs on the Wii. And don't say Graces because that doesn't count. But the fact that ARF is better than DotNW is good enough to make the game worth playing.

But for now, unless Namco miraculously brings Graces over and when Xenoblade or Last Story comes over, Arc Rise is the best traditional JRPG on the Wii. That's my opinion on it. Don't care if anyone flames me for saying that because I like the game.
Huh. From the quick look it actually looks way worse than Dawn of the New World. What makes it better?

zigg

TSA said:
Two things that I hate and believe should be stricken from the Book of RPGs forever: Random Encounters and Excessive Mandatory Grinding.

I'm assuming that you're making a general rather than specific statement. To be clear to those who don't know about the game: enemies are visible on the field.

TSA said:
Is anyone else finding that even after scanning bosses, trying to exploit their weaknesses is proving pointless? Every boss I've basically had to strong arm. Grind, then go into battle and unleash everything you have Excel wise, go on defensive, repeat. Is upgrading your magic that important and does it really change the dynamic that much if you upgrade it constantly? I've primarily focused on grinding about 30-60 mins before each major dungeon when I find one, and I spend a good 2 hours unlocking all the weapon skills and creating the best weapon arrangements for my team. Like, there is zero strategy in this game to me other than grinding and winning the war of attrition.

No, magic has proved useful for me in boss battles—but I have to save it for those, because MP max seems so low. It does feel like there are a number of things that are out of balance—I've certainly been wandering around looking for fights a lot because I want to get all the weapon pieces out, which takes a lot—but I'm still enjoying myself. It's probably in part because it is fast, and because I do have the shortcut option for field enemies.

I mean, make no mistake, I'm not claiming this is a contender for one of my all-time favorites—even discounting the localization—but I am having fun with it.

Also, DoTNW was awhile ago now and I hate trying to rank games apart from noting the obvious winners (BKO forever!), but I'm pretty sure that it was better. So far.

Ricker

Hey Zigg,did you figure out the magic levelling at all? when you go in the menu and select Magic,to heal for example,do you only have Magic 1 highlighted even though you actually levelled up Magic 2 to level 3 for example? I can`t scroll to Magic 2,3 and 4 in that menu...or how do you choose to use Magic 2 during a fight?

Ricker said:
Hey Zigg,did you figure out the magic levelling at all? when you go in the menu and select Magic,to heal for example,do you only have Magic 1 highlighted even though you actually levelled up Magic 2 to level 3 for example? I can`t scroll to Magic 2,3 and 4 in that menu...or how do you choose to use Magic 2 during a fight?

As I recall, you have to have more of that gem and expand the slot at the shop. Level water magic for instance, I expanded Ryufia's slot, added the extra one and bought level 2 magic.

Ricker

Urban Scholar said:
As I recall, you have to have more of that gem and expand the slot at the shop. Level water magic for instance, I expanded Ryufia's slot, added the extra one and bought level 2 magic.

Ummm ok,so I can put a second Orb of the same color on top of the first or in another slot? I bought an extra slot for everyone and noticed that Serge had 3 slots for Orbs as soon as you meet him,but I am going with putting a Orb of the opposite element,in the opposite slot,to gain that extra spell,I haven`t tried putting 2 blue Orbs in different slots...

Ricker said:
Ummm ok,so I can put a second Orb of the same color on top of the first or in another slot? I bought an extra slot for everyone and noticed that Serge had 3 slots for Orbs as soon as you meet him,but I am going with putting a Orb of the opposite element,in the opposite slot,to gain that extra spell,I haven`t tried putting 2 blue Orbs in different slots...

When you expand the slot you'll have an empty for that orb. The orbs can go to whomever the choice really depends upon what you'd like to do. The game mentioned that repulsion will brings magic level down 1 level but any further than this I honestly don't know.

TunaLover

Possible Arc Rise Fantasia undubed project in works

TempusC said:
This is currently a placeholder topic. I’ve had it in my mind to make an undub for Arc Rise Fantasia since hearing about it earlier. Given the amount of threads I’ve seen pop up lately, I thought I’d put this up.

I am in the process of making an undub for Arc Rise Fantasia. It should not be difficult - I have already identified all the audio files.

The Undub will work with Riivolution. I am a co-creator of Riivolution.

http://gbatemp.net/t242992-arc-rise-fantasia-undub-riivolution

You will need a HBC'ed Wii, download Riivolution , and the required patch (it's not ready yet, obviously).

In his thread TempusC mention some funny stats.

TempusC said:
In the mean time, until I get this up or someone else posts something similar, here are some stats.

-------------------------------------JP------------ENG----------

# of Event Voices--------------12, 771--------7, 328---------
Filesize of Voice Clips---------676.3MB------342.9 MB-------

In addition, nearly every ENG voice clip is smaller in filesize than the original JP equivalent. Lower quality encode, perhaps? Also - there are 11 NEW english voice clips, with no JP equivalent. They kind dropped the ball on that, huh?

There's no surprises here, this is a way to put Ignition shody work in numbers. The english dub not only missed almost 5,000 event voices, it has lower quality encode too, and there 11 english VA clips with no JP equivalent.

Ricker

Ok I have no clue what a HBC`ed Wii is all about,I`m guessing it`s some kinda of jailbreak thing so I may look into that for sure at some point. =)

Torillian

Neo Member
Ricker said:

But they're outfits that you specifically buy and then don't show up anywhere....doesn't that seem a little screwed up to you? Hell the skits the outfits start seem pretty random too since you don't have to be wearing the outfit to get a skit for it to pop up. There basically just is absolutely no reason to buy them, I assumed they would atleast show up in battle or during regular conversation on the characters or be useful in the story such as when you can buy clothes to dress up as pilgrims which is what you were supposed to be pretending to be in the story but they only show up in the menu on a regular basis and give you a couple more skits and that is weak as hell.

On the rest of the topic: I do find that the game has some problems that I had hoped jRPGs shied away from such as dungeon crawls capped with a boss battle with no save points or warnings before the boss fight (losing 30 minutes to that kind of tactic pisses me off) and bosses that force you to go back and grind since just one level can make a huge difference in your chances of survival no matter how good of a strategy you use. There are some pretty good moments to the story (fairly ruined by the voice acting but not totally ruined after you get used to it) and some nice environments so far but I actually notice a sizeable framerate drop when a lot of things are on screen and the jagginess gets to me. I think all in all it ends up as a meh jRPG and definitely worse than DotNW.

Top Bottom