• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc Rise Fantasia |OT| of "MUST ANSWER MY CALLING"

notworksafe

Krispy Killa v3 said:
This may be the most true statement i've ever herd... just buy this game so they will bring better JRPGs over in the future.

Krispy Killa v3 said:
The more JRPGs that get sold in American, the more they will bring over to America, I'm all for that.

Well now we know who did the localization on Arc Rise.

Ricker

The product is not as bad as most make it sound though...the voice acting of Adele is good,Clyde is good,even L`Arc sounds ok now most of the time in some reply`s with Frycia...some of you go by a 1 minute video on Youtube,with no context on the story and feel of the game...it just makes it so worst...yeah some of it is bad but after playing about 5 hours now,I can safely say that overall,this is not a bad product,the game is good.

Yes the voice acting brings the game down,some scenes would be really great with the added good acting but the rest is good enough for most JRPG fans to look past that and enjoy the game IMHO.Some of you are stubborn and probably had no intention of getting the game anyway and keep bringing this excuse up.

Aeana

Ricker said:
The product is not as bad as most make it sound though...the voice acting of Adele is good,Clyde is good,even L`Arc sounds ok now most of the time in some reply`s with Frycia...some of you go by a 1 minute video on Youtube,with no context on the story and feel of the game...it just makes it so worst...yeah some of it is bad but after playing about 5 hours now,I can safely say that overall,this is not a bad product,the game is good.

Yes the voice acting brings the game down,some scenes would be really great with the added good acting but the rest is good enough for most JRPG fans to look past that and enjoy the game IMHO.Some of you are stubborn and probably had no intention of getting the game anyway and keep bringing this excuse up.
It's not just the voice acting, it's the text translation as well. Ignition does a terrible job and they shouldn't have any apologists. Many people in this thread (myself included, probably) will still play the game, but there is no reason to stick up for the cruddy effort that's been put forth here, especially when doing so might result in Ignition thinking they can get away with it. It's really aggravating, especially when Ignition took the game away from XSEED in the first place. Ignition needs to get the message that people have standards and that their work is not good enough.

notworksafe

Ricker said:

Perhaps I spoke to soon...maybe localization was a tag team effort.

Gameshark

Neo Member
I've sunk about two hours into the game and yes, the VA is pretty bad. Some parts though are so bad it's hilarious.

Thankfully this is a gaming guarantee over here in Canada at EB Games so I'll be trading it in after a week and end up finishing it when it drops down in price.

Ricker

Aeana said:
It's not just the voice acting, it's the text translation as well. Ignition does a terrible job and they shouldn't have any apologists. Many people in this thread (myself included, probably) will still play the game, but there is no reason to stick up for the cruddy effort that's been put forth here, especially when doing so might result in Ignition thinking they can get away with it. It's really aggravating, especially when Ignition took the game away from XSEED in the first place. Ignition needs to get the message that people have standards and that their work is not good enough.

Ok but I really don`t see anything wrong with the translate text so far...i`m not sure what you mean by that,there`s no typo like in Deadly Premonition so far anyway and the phrases are well turned...I dunno,like I said i`m just 5 hours in but to me ,it seems to get better the further I get then worst...oh well,I do understand what you guys mean but i`m in the mind set that I can voice and critisize some complaints without going on a full boycott of the game,because the rest of it is actually pretty good.

US fans, I just got the call from Gamestop, the game will be arriving tomorrow (Friday) afternoon. Looks like it got bumped up a little

Volcynika

Yeah Ricker, when you really don't bother to read into the fact that it's not just about the voice acting, it makes things difficult.

(Prior to you responding to Aeana)

Ricker

Voices are getting better,Serge is ok,Lord Ignacy wasn`t bad either and I just went through a pretty awesome Boss fight...pretty good so far. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Ricker said:
Ok but I really don`t see anything wrong with the translate text so far...i`m not sure what you mean by that,there`s no typo like in Deadly Premonition so far anyway and the phrases are well turned...I dunno,like I said i`m just 5 hours in but to me ,it seems to get better the further I get then worst...oh well,I do understand what you guys mean but i`m in the mind set that I can voice and critisize some complaints without going on a full boycott of the game,because the rest of it is actually pretty good.

Judging by your grammar and sentence structure, I don't know if you're a good judge of "text translation quality."

I'm still on the fence with this one. At one hand, I would like more JRPGs for my Wii, but on the other I just have this feeling Arc Rise Fantasia will be boring and dull.

I'm just glad it's only $39.99. That maybe my selling point right there, the price.

zigg

kiryogi said:
Didn't finish it and I honestly don't think I'll ever get back to it.

I can understand not getting back to it—when I end up putting an RPG down for whatever reason for more than a bit, it's pretty much impossible to get back into it, and it has to be really good to consider restarting it—but what made you put it back down in the first place?

Ashodin

Picked up my copy today - holllly shit the beginning cutscene was lol-worthy, but it actually seems to get better as time goes on.

Loving some JRPG on my Wii though, brings back PS2 days (sigh) :lol

Will post more impressions as I play through it.

Oh and I only paid $10 for it at GameStop. Go deals!

Liking the game so far. The battle system kinda reminds me of the one in Skies of Arcadia. A lot of the music in this game is pretty cool too, especially the first boss theme. I left the voice acting on because I didn't like seeing their mouths move without any sound. You sort of get used to the bad acting as time goes on. It reminds me of the old RPG days on the PS1. It can be distracting though knowing that it could have been much, much better.

I nominate Niko for the worst video game voice actor of 2010. Early game spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zam8yTwXtbg XD

bon

Aeana said:
Gamers are so spoiled now. When I was a kid EVERY RPG had a bad translation. We were lucky if the dialog even made sense. AND WE LOVED IT

Impressions time, after 11 hours with the game:

It's a good game. I really like it!

Yes, the voice acting ranges from ok to hilariously awful, but if you turn it down or just go with it, you'll find that the characters and writing itself are actually quite charming! I laughed out loud several times at the party banter; the game has skits like Tales of Vesperia that flesh out the characters. The female lead is dumb as a bag of rocks and sounds like she has downs syndrome though.:D

The battle system. It's fast! The battles load lightning quick, and they play out among the fastest I've seen in a jrpg. The enemies are visible on the overworld and in the dungeons, and there are tons of them, but they're not too hard to avoid. Besides, you can plow through like 5 battles in the time it takes for one or two in some other rpgs :) It keeps adding new features, like combo attacks, chaining magic with other characters, crystals on the battlefield that power up your magic, but also the enemies' magic, so do you use them or destroy them so the enemies can't use them.......very fun stuff.

The graphics are pretty good.....the towns are well done and feel like distinct places. The music is very good. I just went through a dungeon with an ominous piano piece that set the mood nicely. Speaking of the dungeons, they aren't the biggest, but they involve a bit of exploration and mild puzzle solving....for example, in a jungle dungeon, there are carnivorous plants blocking your path, and you need to use the items won from battling specific enemies to feed the plants to get them out of your way.....So it's not just running down tunnels.:D

So I'm quite liking it......it's solid and fun.

kiryogi

Banned
zigg said:
I can understand not getting back to it—when I end up putting an RPG down for whatever reason for more than a bit, it's pretty much impossible to get back into it, and it has to be really good to consider restarting it—but what made you put it back down in the first place?

Good question, what else came out around that time? :lol. That said after the likes of Graces and Xenoblade, it's even harder to go back.

Ashodin

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Impressions time, after 11 hours with the game:

It's a good game. I really like it!

Yes, the voice acting ranges from ok to hilariously awful, but if you turn it down or just go with it, you'll find that the characters and writing itself are actually quite charming! I laughed out loud several times at the party banter; the game has skits like Tales of Vesperia that flesh out the characters. The female lead is dumb as a bag of rocks and sounds like she has downs syndrome though.:D

The battle system. It's fast! The battles load lightning quick, and they play out among the fastest I've seen in a jrpg. The enemies are visible on the overworld and in the dungeons, and there are tons of them, but they're not too hard to avoid. Besides, you can plow through like 5 battles in the time it takes for one or two in some other rpgs :) It keeps adding new features, like combo attacks, chaining magic with other characters, crystals on the battlefield that power up your magic, but also the enemies' magic, so do you use them or destroy them so the enemies can't use them.......very fun stuff.

The graphics are pretty good.....the towns are well done and feel like distinct places. The music is very good. I just went through a dungeon with an ominous piano piece that set the mood nicely. Speaking of the dungeons, they aren't the biggest, but they involve a bit of exploration and mild puzzle solving....for example, in a jungle dungeon, there are carnivorous plants blocking your path, and you need to use the items won from battling specific enemies to feed the plants to get them out of your way.....So it's not just running down tunnels.:D

So I'm quite liking it......it's solid and fun.

It's Mitsuda - really good music, and the boss battle theme is ACE.

bon said:
Gamers are so spoiled now. When I was a kid EVERY RPG had a bad translation. We were lucky if the dialog even made sense. AND WE LOVED IT

Yep. Paying 50 - 60 bucks for a poorly translated game and being unhappy with the quality = spoiled.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
DarknessTear said:
Yep. Paying 50 - 60 bucks for a poorly translated game and being unhappy with the quality = spoiled.

You're not supposed to be unhappy with it, though. You're supposed to be grateful for the opportunity to play an electronic role playing game, regardless of voice acting quality. [insert Kittonwy emoticon here]

Tailzo

Witchfinder General said:
Any chance that this will get a PAL release?

I'm pretty desperate for console JRPGs at the moment.
TBA 2010 isn't good enough for me. Anyone got a release date?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tailzo said:
TBA 2010 isn't good enough for me. Anyone got a release date?

I wouldn't count on it coming any time soon. If it is Rising Star that publishes it, I expect it will take an age. Rune Factory 2 is coming out in Europe this autumn. Almost 3 years after Japan and 2 after the US. Of their games, only Muramasa came out close to the US date. ARF will keep the hideous text and voice too, I would imagine.

When I picked this up at gamestop I actually got it for 34.99. Not bad at all actually! :D So far, even though I'm not far, I'm enjoying it. There is wayyyyyy to much overblown hate in this thread.

farnham

Banned
Ushojax said:
I wouldn't count on it coming any time soon. If it is Rising Star that publishes it, I expect it will take an age. Rune Factory 2 is coming out in Europe this autumn. Almost 3 years after Japan and 2 after the US. Of their games, only Muramasa came out close to the US date. ARF will keep the hideous text and voice too, I would imagine.
this is why i love my regionfree homebrew wii

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If Amazon is to be believed, I should have this tomorrow.
Can't wait. I'm actually really looking forward to this, and praying that the localization is somehow less shoddy and mechanical than earlier Ignition efforts.

Sagitario

Well, English is not my first language, so as long as the game text [and the game itself is good, of course] is understandable, I'm fine with bad voice acting :p

Mejilan said:
If Amazon is to be believed, I should have this tomorrow.
Can't wait. I'm actually really looking forward to this, and praying that the localization is somehow less shoddy and mechanical than earlier Ignition efforts.

My copy from VG+ should hopefully be with me tomorrow too. Now to find time to play this in between DQ IX and P3P :p

zigg

Got my review copy yesterday, including a book showing Shane (and other Ignition staffers) approximating the characters' hairstyles.

Lost to that first boss battle, but I think it was in part because I hadn't spent the time to get the weapons in Jada bought and levelled up first. Will try again tonight.

My copy arrived this morning and I've played and hour and 45 minutes or so. Up to Diamant after beating a reasonably tough boss and enjoying this a lot so far.

Mejilan

Bless Amazon's free Prime release date shipping. Arc Rise Fantasia and Starcraft 2 CE are both already out for delivery!

Mejilan

Weird. UPS definitely made their delivery to my neighborhood since two other UPS/Amazon shipments arrived today. But for some reason, ARF wasn't delivered, and the tracking page still says "out for delivery."

I hope it still makes it today.
In the 9 months I've been living at this address, they've never made a delivery this late in the evening, so I have a bad feeling that UPS just screwed me out of Amazon's release date delivery... :/

Ricker

zigg said:
Got my review copy yesterday, including a book showing Shane (and other Ignition staffers) approximating the characters' hairstyles.

Lost to that first boss battle, but I think it was in part because I hadn't spent the time to get the weapons in Jada bought and levelled up first. Will try again tonight.

Yep,probably the same thing happened to me and later on,I barely beat the second Boss also,on my first try...the Magic levels and how to actually raise them is a little strange at first and after getting killed after a long battle with the third Boss,I knew something was wrong on my side,because I almost never skip a fight...so i think I found my mistake now and heading for my 3rd attempt on the mother... ;)

I read some said this game was easy but so far,the Boss fights are challenging,unless you grind like hell for a few hours...I wonder if Ignition tweaked the difficulty and made it a little more challenging?...anyway,the game keeps getting better and better and i`m really enjoying it.

Meesh

Speevy said:
I've always wondered why bad voice acting still exists so many years after people started voicing games.

I mean, localizing a game is a process, and like any process, it should be refined over time, right?
I always wondered this too, I mean there's no shortage of good voice actors... but I imagine it was a matter of price? Good voice actors are worth more...meh, it was a shot in the dark.
kiryogi said:
But there is no sequel here.
Whachoo talk'n 'bout Willis :mad:

Masamuna

I just beat the
deathchanter
in Jada. Thankfully I've been on a LTTP binge with Baten Kaitos for the past week so the voices don't bother me in the slightest.

Is there any way to make it less jaggy? All my other wii games look really good on my HDTV. Even after fiddling with the softness meter the characters models in battles look a bit jarring.

Ricker

Masamuna said:
I just beat the
deathchanter
in Jada. Thankfully I've been on a LTTP binge with Baten Kaitos for the past week so the voices don't bother me in the slightest.

Is there any way to make it less jaggy? All my other wii games look really good on my HDTV. Even after fiddling with the softness meter the characters models in battles look a bit jarring.

Wait till you meet the second Boss...pretty cool as well...i`m hookep up with the component cables on my HDTV and yeah,there`s a lot of jaggies,I don`t think there`s nothing that can be done about that...at least it`s 480p widescreen.

botticus said:
How did you manage that?

No idea, I even said "This is only 34.99" and he said yeah. Though I saw today in the store its back to 39.99. Might have been a slight hiccup in the system or something?

AColdDay

Once I clear out Dragon Age, I think I'll tackle this. It's kind of funny how different the games will be though!

We had better support this, or we won't be getting Xeno or TLS.

zigg

Masamuna said:

This game definitely is not making use of any of the Wii's capabilities for making shit look extra good, which I kind of hated at first, but then as I got deeper in (Diamant Castle in particular) I started really appreciating the architecture and how they could create some fairly impressive scenes that way.

jred250 said:
We had better support this, or we won't be getting Xeno or TLS.

I dunno if that's really true or not. Either way, I hate the idea.

Five hours in, I'm thinking that I like it. It's still pretty rough in the voice and text department, and my wife laughs at it every time she walks by, but the battle systems are neat, and the overall tale is kinda interesting.

Though, man, the townspeople are hardly worth talking to at all, half of them make absolutely no sense, which seems mostly the fault of the translation but I wonder how much of it was in the original, as well. I still laugh when L'Arc walks into someone's house and they immediately start confessing their deepest psychoses to him, and he offers life advice :lol

I'll write some more in-depth impressions soon and link them here when they're up.

zigg said:
Five hours in, I'm thinking that I like it. It's still pretty rough in the voice and text department, and my wife laughs at it every time she walks by, but the battle systems are neat, and the overall tale is kinda interesting.

Though, man, the townspeople are hardly worth talking to at all, half of them make absolutely no sense, which seems mostly the fault of the translation but I wonder how much of it was in the original, as well. I still laugh when L'Arc walks into someone's house and they immediately start confessing their deepest psychoses to him, and he offers life advice :lol

I'll write some more in-depth impressions soon and link them here when they're up.

That sounds pretty awesome :lol

Mejilan

Now UPS says that delivery is rescheduled for tomorrow.
Just another reason to hate Tuesdays, I guess.

Top Bottom