• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcana Heart 3 |OT| Thread of beating up moe moe girls

Makoto

Aksys will be at Wednesday Night Fights (tomorrow on Friday night) to showcase Arcana Heart 3. I mention this because I'm still on the fence about this game and with the PSN downtime preventing me from impulse buying it, this could be a good opportunity to finally see the game explained and broken down at a visual level, especially since YouTube doesn't really have any good English release videos explaining the mechanics.

Solune

Hmm messing around in the lab with different Arcanas. Time is pretty good when using it for oki setups. Still experimenting but definitely settled on Saki as main and Kamui as a sub.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
Hmm messing around in the lab with different Arcanas. Time is pretty good when using it for oki setups. Still experimenting but definitely settled on Saki as main and Kamui as a sub.
Other people were playing Saki wednesday but you were the first one to actually do flash kick to super and special kick to super.

Solune

Hitokage said:
Other people were playing Saki wednesday but you were the first one to actually do flash kick to super and special kick to super.
I'm ready to get blown up by your Fiona. And it's funny since I was reading alot of Saki BnBs whiff on Fiona and ugh that range.

Edgeward

So I need help on some notations

JA > JB > jc > dj.[AB / BC] J214X

I am not sure what part of Akane's air target combo means as I'm not sure what difference J and j are other than jc is for jump cancel, I'm assuming.

Now I know () is for optional, thanks to Hito. But what does it mean in this context

5B 2B 5C(1) (6C(1)) 236S

Does this mean I can use either neutral C or downback C in combo? Or let it hit only the first part of the attack before canceling into the next part?

Morris

Disco Devil
vocab said:
I really hate the notations on the wiki. I have no idea what [ or ( is.

According to Hito, ( is optional while [ is hold.

I've been having trouble reading the notations too. Instead i've been watching some combo videos in youtube and trying to x copy them on training.

Also played a sick ass Dorothy in ranked after playing with GAF, goddamn, can't wait to get to that level. Lots of traps and setups leading to damaging combos. So good.

Solune

Edgeward said:
So I need help on some notations

JA > JB > jc > dj.[AB / BC] J214X

I am not sure what part of Akane's air target combo means as I'm not sure what difference J and j are other than jc is for jump cancel, I'm assuming.

I'm pretty sure the bolded part means you can perform AB OR BC, then do Hana Nagi. Just treat anything with J as in air state.
Now I know () is for optional, thanks to Hito. But what does it mean in this context

5B 2B 5C(1) (6C(1)) 236S

Does this mean I can use either neutral C or downback C in combo? Or let it hit only the first part of the attack before canceling into the next part?
The part that is bolded is correct.

Negator

Is there some kind of game manual available within the game? You'd think since there is no physical manual there would be some kind of aid to hslp you when you need a reference guide other than having my laptop next to me.

Really wish PSN wasn't dead so I could play with GAFfers :/

My Scharlachrot is becoming somewhat decent... maybe...I think! :)

oh and thanks Akselziys for posting links to that guide :)

Edgeward

Ugh, jesus the CPU does not play in story mode. Scharlachrot was a complete pain in the ass to beat, she and her arcana are way fucking good. And the final boss is annoying as hell, not being able to target correctly because you can't manually control which way to face in that part made something that should be easy, not. Well, at least I beat it and now I'm 5% of trophies done. D=

xero273

i need to practice saki's flash kick to super. for some reason, i alway think super motion is 28+ab instead of of 214+ab

Solune

CcrooK said:
Simple question. If I didn't enjoy Blazblue as much, will I enjoy this more in terms of accessibility?
Depends, nearly all of the same systems are present. I think it's worth to check out though, plenty of character variety and arcana means endless combinations even if some characters are better suited for certain arcana.

What really separates Arcana from GG/BB for me is the homing cancels. You use it to make all of your attacks safe and for movement and mixups. Very intuitive.

If you're a fighting game fan, grab it, love it. If you're still on the fence, wait for a stream of AH3 and see if it suits your taste. I know WNF was supposed to stream it today but the venue's internet is down apparently.
NinajHeartless said:
Really wish PSN wasn't dead so I could play with GAFfers :/

My Scharlachrot is becoming somewhat decent... maybe...I think! :)

oh and thanks Akselziys for posting links to that guide :)
You didn't play Wednesday, I invited you and Volcynika to chat but no response =/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Edgeward said:
Ugh, jesus the CPU does not play in story mode. Scharlachrot was a complete pain in the ass to beat, she and her arcana are way fucking good.
Scharl starts blatantly cheating after you win a round against her. It's a total pain in the ass.

Solune said:
You didn't play Wednesday, I invited you and Volcynika to chat but no response =/

I don't have a USB keyboard to chat with :(

And and and

At that point I hadn't gotten a grip on any of the characters and I felt I would have just been too free for you guys :( Sawwy!

I know some basic combos and have gotten used to one character now, so when PSN is back up it is time to fight! ^_^

Edgeward

Hitokage said:
Scharl starts blatantly cheating after you win a round against her. It's a total pain in the ass.
I got the feeling that was the case when she did something in between rounds that seemed so much like Seth in sf4. And then i noticed how quickly and much she was using arcana meter, and how little damage she takes. I then got mad. Again, bullshit.

xero273

Edgeward said:
I got the feeling that was the case when she did something in between rounds that seemed so much like Seth in sf4. And then i noticed how quickly and much she was using arcana meter, and how little damage she takes. I then got mad. Again, bullshit.

at least you beat her. i still haven't yet. lol i just rage and turn off the machine

Edgeward

xero273 said:
at least you beat her. i still haven't yet. lol i just rage and turn off the machine

I don't know if it's always the case but I got lucky in the last round as I figured out she didn't block on wake-up. So when I was down on red and had 3 arcana meters, I basically mashed 2A to hit confirm it into Akane's Bushin super and destroyed her 3 times in a row doing it that way.

Solune

NinajHeartless said:
I don't have a USB keyboard to chat with :(

And and and

At that point I hadn't gotten a grip on any of the characters and I felt I would have just been too free for you guys :( Sawwy!

I know some basic combos and have gotten used to one character now, so when PSN is back up it is time to fight! ^_^
lol it's cool, but yah play if PSN comes up in this lifetime. And don't worry about a keyboard, just enter chat for joining rooms or just good times.

And if you guys think Scharl is cheap, I am fighting Parace, and this is some of the cheapest shit you will ever encounter.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
lol it's cool, but yah play if PSN comes up in this lifetime. And don't worry about a keyboard, just enter chat for joining rooms or just good times.

And if you guys think Scharl is cheap, I am fighting Parace, and this is some of the cheapest shit you will ever encounter.
At least it's not Archetype: Earth.

branny

CcrooK said:
Simple question. If I didn't enjoy Blazblue as much, will I enjoy this more in terms of accessibility?

In terms of accessibility, yes, you will. It's as beginner friendly as something recent like MvC3.

Volcynika

*dusts himself off*

Solune, I'll accept your friend req when PSN is finally back up!

As far as the game, it's pretty fun. I want to use kind of a close-in fighter but not sure who. I did beat story mode though! (I was Scarlachrot or whatever). Seems nifty.

xero273

Volcynika said:
*dusts himself off*

As far as the game, it's pretty fun. I want to use kind of a close-in fighter but not sure who. I did beat story mode though! (I was Scarlachrot or whatever). Seems nifty.

nooooooooo! he's back.... the master troll.

we need to play whenever psn gets back.

My Scharl is coming along nicely :)

I know about...3 good combos (they each seem to take off about 1/2 - 1/3 of the opponents health) now and I am just itching to fight a real opponent...

Really wish stupid PSN wasn't busted :/

Solune

Volcynika said:
*dusts himself off*

Welcome back Volcynika. lol I have you on my F list =p. You should get into PSN AH3 Gafchat though. If it comes up. anytime now. waiting....

d0c_zaius

sorry, I didnt have bad intentions. I was just reminded when I saw the topic that I havent played it online for a while...:(. And by a while I guess I mean ever since I barely got to even play one game.

I thought I should clarify "once the network was back online" but I thought it was implied.

danmaku

branny said:
In terms of accessibility, yes, you will. It's as beginner friendly as something recent like MvC3.

mmmm I'm not sure about that. You can pick up any character and immediatly start doing A -> B -> C -> super, it's very easy. But longer combos have strict timing and you have to be very fast with inputs. Blazblue combos are much easier, imho.

alstein

CcrooK said:

I'd say no. I thought it was more accessible at first glance, but the motions are much harder for most characters.

Volcynika

Solune said:
Welcome back Volcynika. lol I have you on my F list =p. You should get into PSN AH3 Gafchat though. If it comes up. anytime now. waiting....

D'oh, I knew it was a chat invite and that you already were on my F list, but I just typed friends invite for some reason. Yeah, chat! I guess I'll do training while waiting for PSN to go up. D:

Solune

danmaku said:
mmmm I'm not sure about that. You can pick up any character and immediatly start doing A -> B -> C -> super, it's very easy. But longer combos have strict timing and you have to be very fast with inputs. Blazblue combos are much easier, imho.
You do have to be faster with inputs, however the system is lenient in how it detects inputs, especially charge moves like Saki's. I don't think the combos are more difficult. The longer combos I would say are around the same difficulty but obviously scale with the character you use.
alstein said:
I'd say no. I thought it was more accessible at first glance, but the motions are much harder for most characters.
How so? Do you mean the motions are harder because you have to do them faster?

alstein

Solune said:
You do have to be faster with inputs, however the system is lenient in how it detects inputs, especially charge moves like Saki's. I don't think the combos are more difficult. The longer combos I would say are around the same difficulty but obviously scale with the character you use.

How so? Do you mean the motions are harder because you have to do them faster?

That and there are several commands that are just flat-out old-school SNK supers, such as Yoriko's pentagrams. Also there seems to be moves put in the game just to punish missed execution, such as Heart's hcf+C.

Top Bottom