• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are any Gamecube games better than the N64 version?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
One traditional platfomer release in 6 years is what I hate, Nintnedo make such an insane amount of Mario spin off’s I would swear and forgot about the Platforming!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok... time to create an accurate Mario game list, featuring all titles considered part of the Mario / Donkey Kong / Yoshi / Wario series.

Mario Games Released Since 1997 (PC Release of GTA -- roughly Nov. 15th)

PLATFORMERS
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Super Mario Sunshine
Wario Land II
Wario Land 3
Wario Land 4
Wario World
Yoshi's Story
Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (not yet released)
Super Princess Peach (not yet released)
Yoshi's Balloon Fight (not yet released)
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (not yet released)

FIGHTING
Super Smash Bros.
Super Smash Bros. Melee

MISC.
Luigi's Mansion
Donkey Konga
Mario Pinball Land

RPG
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

KART RACING
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario Kart DS (not yet released)

SPORTS (Action)
Mario Golf
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Tennis
Mario Power Tennis (not yet released)

SPORTS (RPG)
Mario Golf (GBC)
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Tennis (GBC)

PARTY/MINIGAMES
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Game & Watch Gallery 3
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party-e
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$
Mario Party 6 (not yet released)
Mario Party Advance (not yet released)
WarioWare DS (not yet released)
WarioWare "Spin" (not yet released)

RERELEASES
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong-e
Donkey Kong Jr.-e
Donkey Kong Country (GBC)
Donkey Kong Country (GBA)
Dr. Mario
Dr. Mario 64
Mario Bros.-e
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Pinball-e
Tennis-e
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) (not yet released)
Super Mario DS (not yet released)

Now a good example is Diddy Kong Racing, sure the game based on the Donkey Kong franchise BUT the game introduces a ton of new fresh characters many of which are major franchises now eg Conker and Banjo.

I think that's actually a bad example, and undercores the difficulty in creating memorable characters that really resonate with people. The characters in that game were ultra generic. I actually liked DKR a lot (IMO it surpasses Mario Kart in a number of areas), but the characters were clearly one of its weakest points. And I'm pretty sure it was reported years back that Rare abandoned their trademarks on half of them, so I think they knew they were dealing with one off characters.

I mean I'd hardly say "many of which are now major franchises". They introduced like a dozen new characters in the game, exactly 1 of which has starred in a major hit outside of DKR. And of course, Conker and Banjo's respective titles were actually unveiled before DKR (Banjo was actually supposed to be the big Christmas release that year, but once it got delayed, they bumped up DKR to takes its place).

DDayton

This is somewhat unnecessary, but...

mario-graph.png

GRAPH TIME!

I do think the "rereleases" are unfairly inflated, but I did want to be accurate.

Regardless, the majority of the "Mario Titles" are unique creations, and nearly a quarter of them continue to be new platformers.

seanoff

this will doubtless be seen as heresy

But if i go to the movies i don't really want to see Julia Roberts and Morgan Freeman in every fucking movie.

Break it up a bit, give me different characters. PLEASE.

Mario is a lovely italian plumber, but i would like to see a Canadian carpenter, a Nigerian doctor etc, u get my drift and mario can appear in some sort of small cameo role.

DDayton

seanoff said:

Mario is a lovely italian plumber, but i would like to see a Canadian carpenter, a Nigerian doctor etc, u get my drift and mario can appear in some sort of small cameo role.
I'm tempted to create a chart of ALL Nintendo-published games, splitting them by character appearance.

Heh heh heh heh heh.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
seanoff said:
this will doubtless be seen as heresy

But if i go to the movies i don't really want to see Julia Roberts and Morgan Freeman in every fucking movie.

Yeah if Nintendo did make a new franchise they could include a few cheeky classic Nintendo references and cameos from some big name Characters.

For example in a new platforming franchise one level might see you pop into a mushroom kingdom setting during the original Mario bros.

snapty00

Banned
I go out of my way not to buy games with Mario in them, unless they're platform games. I used to not care so much, but in the past five years or so, i've gotten where even seeing Mario and friends' appearance annoys me.

snapty00 said:
I go out of my way not to buy games with Mario in them, unless they're platform games. I used to not care so much, but in the past five years or so, i've gotten where even seeing Mario and friends' appearance annoys me.

kinda agree. One reason why LM was so fun was because Mario wasn't in it. He was lost. Definitely needs to be lost more often. He is the ideal platforming mascot though. I just wished the platforming Mario games in the future has the kinetic energy/humour that the RPG marios have. Compared to Paper Mario and even Luigi+Mario, SMS is practically charmless.

Top Bottom