• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are handhelds the future? Can we reduce dev time and costs with them?

Kurotri

So, I don't usually make threads, but I've been thinking about this for a while ever since the PS5 Pro announcement.

As some of you may know, the current rumors for the next generation of Xbox and Playstation look similar: An enthusiast, traditional console that most likely will cost a lot of money, and a handheld designed for the core audience. Xbox seemingly wants to try their hand at this a couple years earlier, but both companies want to go torward a similar direction.

The Nintendo Switch and especially the Steam Deck have shown that people are ready and willing to have premium gaming experiences on a specifically designed handheld console. When I think back on my childhood, I remember thinking just how awesome the PSP was. It was essentially a PS2 but in my hands. Playing Tekken and Monster Hunter, even God of War, it was a blast. I think this concept has always and will always be enticing to people, which is why especially the Switch dominates so hard.

It also proves that you do not need to go balls to the walls hard on fidelity. The successes of Nintendo's games and games like Elden Ring that are outside of Nintendo's ecosystem show that, if you can just make a pretty enough looking game, achieved with amazing art direction, and just focus on gameplay, you can sell gangbusters.

We live in times where games have insane costs and dev times. I've always lamented the latter. It sucks. I know that we get plenty games year after year, but what if I like a specific game, and want more of it? I guess I should get ready for a minimum wait of 4 years. Ghost of Tsushima is one my favourite games from last gen and 4 years later there isn't so much as a peep of its sequel.

And now with this recent trend of handhelds getting more popular, could this be the paradigm shift the industry needs? Could this be the solution to these problems? These traditional consoles have cemented themselves as goods that push fideility first, much like gaming PCs. Handhelds do not have that sort of image. You kind of don't expect that, gaming on a handheld and all. What if Microsoft and Sony decided to "copy" Nintendo and focus less on fidelity, and more on other things like logic, physics, ai and art direction while subsequently lowering budgets and dev times?

And for those that want more, the traditional enthusiast consoles will simply take what's on the handhelds, but offer an enhanced experience. Much like emulating Switch games on PC. I'm sure you've seen some of those 4k 60 fps Tears of the Kingdom vids!

Handhelds would also be generally more affordable. I think the PS5 Pro is simply a sign of times to come. These "traditional" consoles will keep going up in price. A handheld focused industry would be more affordable and healthier. Plus in terms of tech, we got all that AI stuff happening too. There's so many advancements that have been made. Handhelds, for the average consumer, just seem ideal going forward.

I personally think this would be a great future. This is of course completely subjective, and many might not agree, but I just feel like games have looked good enough for more than a decade and have entered the diminishing returns era eons ago. Bobby Kotick said that the Nintendo Switch 2 has power comparable with the PS4 (or even PS4 Pro, not sure on that one). If you can give me that + DLSS and have me playing games like The Last of Us Part 2 I'll be over the damn moon. I do not need more. I think games don't more than that.

I guess my questions to you guys are:
- Would you like a "Nintendofied" gaming industry? If not, why?
- Do you have other suggestions to stop the ballooning game dev costs and especially dev lengths?

I'd like to read some of your ideas.

Kurotri

For consoles? Could be.

For PCs it is kind of the present already as the great majority of gaming PCs are actually laptops. I know this isn't a handheld but it's still a practical, all-in-one device that can be taken around freely.
Can you elaborate on that?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think handhelds are part of the foreseeable future as a companion to a console. I do not think a handheld is remotely powerful enough to be a primary console unless you are Nintendo.

Topher

Gold Member
Do not want a "Nintendofied" gaming industry whatsoever. Handhelds are a great complimentary device for the vast majority of people, but let's not overstate where handhelds stand in the industry right now. We are not talking about devices that are approaching PlayStation and Nintendo levels of sales.

I think PCs and consoles will remain the focus of game development, but devs will eventually have to keep handhelds in mind when make their games to ensure that growing populace can play the games.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I don't know if we can say that people are willing to accept a premium handheld's output as good enough based on the Steam Deck's sales. I'd hope so, and I might even suapect it for the majority, but I guess we'll see.

There might be other, less disruptive paths to reducing budgets/dev times though. The industry is watching AI with interest amd worry. It would be nice to have both though.

Are handhelds the future?
Is mobile the future?
Are consoles the future?
Is GAAS the future?
Is PC the future?
Are MMOs the future?
Is mobile the future?
Is FarmVille the future?
Is VR the future?
Are MOBAs the future?

There is no single “the future”

Everytime something gains traction people boast or panic about it being the future with everything else disappearing, it never ever turns out to be the case.

Last edited:

ergem

This is what I think MS and Sony could be doing.

MS:
Xbox handheld - $399-$499 (arm, will aim for ps5 pro power)
Xbox PC - $999 (x86 PC in a console form)

Sony:
PS portable - $399-$499 (arm, will aim for ps5 pro power)
PS6 - traditional
PS6 pro - traditional

Why just focus on one thing? I like the approach playstation and Xbox are taking for next gen. A traditional home console and an accompaniment handheld. You really miss out, as a gamer, if you only have one thing. Ideally, you will have each console plus pc. There are some games that I prefer playing on my ps5, others that I prefer to play on my pc. If I had the money, I would have bought an Xbox as well.

Kurotri

Do not want a "Nitendofied" gaming industry whatsoever. Handhelds are a great complimentary device for the vast majority of people, but let's not overstate where handhelds stand in the industry right now. We are not talking about devices that are approaching PlayStation and Nintendo levels of sales.

I think PCs and consoles will remain the focus of game development, but devs will eventually have to keep handhelds in mind when make their games to ensure that growing populace can play the games.
I think handhelds are part of the foreseeable future as a companion to a console. I do not think a handheld is remotely powerful enough to be a primary console unless you are Nintendo.
What are you thoughts on the (probably) high costs of buying the next traditional Xbox and PS6? Since handhelds are in Xbox's and Playstation's vision, it seems to me that they know the traditional consoles won't be the primary goods to sell. And if handhelds are the mass market device, wouldn't all of game dev revolve around designing for the handheld and make the games perform better on the more expensive consoles instead of the other way around?

Guilty_AI

Can you elaborate on that?
like i said, the majority of PCs out in there are laptops already. I think something like 2x to 3x more than desktops? Depends on where you read it but they all show the amount of laptop users being much higher than that of desktops.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Are handhelds the future?
Is mobile the future?
Are consoles the future?
Is GAAS the future?
Is PC the future?
Are MMOs the future?
Is mobile the future?
Is FarmVille the future?
Is VR the future?
Are MOBAs the future?

There is no single “the future”

Everytime something gains traction people boast or panic about it being the future with everything else disappearing, it never ever turns out to be the case.

Great point. Folks seem to get tunnel vision when it comes to a lot of these "futures". It is really about expansion rather than linear migration from one state to another.

Great point. Folks seem to get tunnel vision when it comes to a lot of these "futures". It is really about expansion rather than linear migration from one state to another.

I’ve seen many many fads come along and blow up since I started playing in the early 90s.

They become huge because they’re new and novel, then most people become bored and they just end up on the big shelf of different gaming types along with everything else.

For example, GAAS will never go away, but it won’t be anywhere near as big as it is now in a few years.

Cyberpunkd

Steamdeck is a fraction of sales of consoles, other handheld are a fraction of sales of Steamdeck. As much as I want it to be the case this segment is very niche right now.
But I don’t care, Steamdeck made me not quit gaming.

Dazraell

I consider them more as a companion for PCs and consoles. And frankly speaking, it's not a bad thing

As for dev time, I feel handhelds like Steam Deck may actually become a big help especially for indies where high end graphics aren't a priority, but in a bit different way than you expect. I heard multiple stories of devs who are showing their games by using handhelds like Deck during trade shows, either to colleagues from the industry or to quickly present their game to some of the execs in business areas and by doing so securing a proper pitch meetings with them. This type of stuff can help a lot with gathering quick feedback, securing meetings that otherwise wouldn't be possible and the like

reinking

Gold Member
Maybe for the rest of you.... 😜

Season 3 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

Edgelord79

Gold Member
What are you thoughts on the (probably) high costs of buying the next traditional Xbox and PS6? Since handhelds are in Xbox's and Playstation's vision, it seems to me that they know the traditional consoles won't be the primary goods to sell. And if handhelds are the mass market device, wouldn't all of game dev revolve around designing for the handheld and make the games perform better on the more expensive consoles instead of the other way around?
I think the era of consoles being cheaper than PCs (although kind of false over a term of 5 years when cheap PC games are taken into account) is largely over. I’m fact due to the amount of accessorizing consoles will do with hardware I think next generation the costs of being in the PlayStation ecosystem will be more expensive by a good amount.

I see costs increasing for very incremental gains, and increased nickel and diming to cover research and development costs. Also I see another increase in game prices to $100 per game (as opposed to the 89.99 in Canada). There is very little competition in the console space now for Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Computing process for graphics on top notch GPU now vs PS4 level of hardware is very different, but the human perception no. We see with every portable since the original Deck, and one even might say the Switch but I digress

Cyberpunkd

For consoles? Could be.

For PCs it is kind of the present already as the great majority of gaming PCs are actually laptops. I know this isn't a handheld but it's still a practical, all-in-one device that can be taken around freely.
Gaming laptops are huge, weight a ton, have embarrassing Colors and logos and the battery lasts 30 minutes.

it's impossible that in an era (or coming era) of TVs that nobody could even dream of decades ago, the future is playing on a tiny screen.

mobile and handhelds have the convenience advantage but aren't taking over living room gaming anytime soon.

They’ll just be integrated like the Switch, play it on the big screen or take it on the go. I believe the majority of these new handheld pc’s already have that functionality.
I haven’t had a pc for a while now, but I’ve been sorely missing a lot of the smaller titles that don’t see console release. The Steamdeck definitely caught my eye when it released, I plan on picking up the second iteration whenever it sees release.

Kurotri

it's impossible that in an era (or coming era) of TVs that nobody could even dream of decades ago, the future is playing on a tiny screen.

mobile and handhelds have the convenience advantage but aren't taking over living room gaming anytime soon.
What if they came with a dock like the Switch? I don't know since I don't own one, but can't the Steam Deck connect to your TV as well?

Topher

Gold Member

I don't see handhelds becoming the mass market device. There is money to be made in the industry on handhelds and that's why they exist, but we are long way aways from a console/PC gaming market where handhelds are the driving force. That may change over time, but I think the tech will need to evolve quite a bit, including the operating systems they run on, before we reach a level that the mass market will embrace handhelds in significant scale.

Agent X

And now with this recent trend of handhelds getting more popular, could this be the paradigm shift the industry needs? Could this be the solution to these problems? These traditional consoles have cemented themselves as goods that push fideility first, much like gaming PCs. Handhelds do not have that sort of image. You kind of don't expect that, gaming on a handheld and all. What if Microsoft and Sony decided to "copy" Nintendo and focus less on fidelity, and more on other things like logic, physics, ai and art direction while subsequently lowering budgets and dev times?

There's certainly a place for handhelds in the market.

Like you, I was enthusiastic about the PSP, and its ability to deliver games that held up well when compared to contemporary consoles. About 15 years earlier, the Lynx was viewed in much the same way.

As great as both of those systems were, their hardware designs had a few shortcomings (particularly in controls and screen resolution) that prevented them from fully replacing their home console peers. Switch was the next evolutionary step, that largely addressed those issues. The control scheme is very close to Sony/Microsoft consoles, and the resolution (on the small screen) is good enough for virtually every game you could throw at it.

Game development has evolved in recent years. With modern tools, it's much easier for developers to create a game that is equally enjoyable on a big screen as well as a handheld, and also scale it appropriately to the level of the hardware. This is a luxury that wasn't as ubiquitous in the days of the Lynx, GBA, DS, and PSP. With this in mind, it would be good to see if Sony, Microsoft, or someone else wants to try their hand at a new handheld.

Kurotri

I think the era of consoles being cheaper than PCs (although kind of false over a term of 5 years when cheap PC games are taken into account) is largely over. I’m fact due to the amount of accessorizing consoles will do with hardware I think next generation the costs of being in the PlayStation ecosystem will be more expensive by a good amount.
So essentially, you think that people will accept the higher prices so to speak, and handhelds won't have the sway they need to become the primary choice? I guess that could happen, though to be honest it would make be a little sad.

What if they came with a dock like the Switch? I don't know since I don't own one, but can't the Steam Deck connect to your TV as well?

Sure, if you don't lose quality, that's the perfect situation. At the end of the day, people want their lives easy. That's why the average console gamer will never go to PC and, for the same reason, I own a gaming laptop for work and videogames instead of a monster occupying half a room.

Hohenheim

I'm mainly a PC gamer, and I love these new handhelds.
They will however never replace a high-end rig for me, but as a companion piece they're amazing.
High end desktop and a steam deck/Ally on the side is perfect.

If Microsoft (and Sonys?) new plan is to have a similar line up in the console world, that sounds great.
Similar to the switch, but you keep the home console at home and continue playing your games on that after playing a bit on the go on the handheld companion piece.
It's very similar to how myself and lots of PC gamers do it now, but will probably be quite a bit cheaper for many.

And if you're fine with missing out on fidelity and frames, the handheld piece is all you need.

As for these potential console line-ups being something that makes dev time shorter.. I have doubts. Most games will be made with higher end in mind, and scaled down to fit the handhelds anyways, as we already see today.

Last edited:

tmlDan

why would costs and dev time be reduced for a handheld, you're funny.

Just because graphics get slightly worse doesn't mean it gets easier lol

and no, generally handhelds cost significantly more, you're only thinking of the switch if you say that and even then its the same price as a digital PS5 at launch.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
So essentially, you think that people will accept the higher prices so to speak, and handhelds won't have the sway they need to become the primary choice? I guess that could happen, though to be honest it would make be a little sad.
I do think so. There is no alternative unless they want to go the PC route and I get why a lot don’t.

The market is also normalizing higher prices for everything not just gaming. It is what it is.

Kurotri

why would costs and dev time be reduced for a handheld, you're funny.

Just because graphics get slightly worse doesn't mean it gets easier lol

and no, generally handhelds cost significantly more, you're only thinking of the switch if you say that and even then its the same price as a digital PS5 at launch.
I don't know, I'm not super informed and I don't want to pretend to be. Can you tell me why games cost so much and take such a long time to make, and why lowering the focus on fidelity wouldn't help?

Woopah

Publishers have control of a game's budget. You don't need to make it for a handheld to have lower costs (in fact, optimising for lower power hardware can add cost).

Both Sony and MS are likely to offer more portability options. But they don't need to move away from then TV.

The cheapest, most portable Switch model is also the least popular.

splattered

I agree with Topher, i want a premium console/gaming experience with a handheld just meant to be complimentary to it. Plus handheld machines have ALWAYS hurt my hands and wrists. I buy all of them and for some reason i just cant play them very often because they are painful for me. I wouldnt ever want that form factor as the primary way i'd have to play games. Not even getting into the lower graphical power etc.

MayauMiao

I see Switch 2 will absolute dominate console going forward. Consoles nowadays have come to a point where its going after highest resolution or framerates, while lacking unique interesting titles that most gamers truly want on their console. If one wanted those crazy graphic fidelity, they'll just get a PC.

Astral Dog

Handhelds will not dramatically lower development costs since they are still powerful HD devices, PS3/360 was the gen were the costs skyrocketed, we will not go back, even for Nintendo.

And the Switch is still home to visually complex(for first party) games like Xenoblade 3,or Breath of the Wild , that took
5 +years to make.

What could happen if everybody adopts the hybrid approach is that people accept a variety of experiences on a portable, for example indie games and visual novels are popular on the Switch, those aren't as expensive as AAA productions

Yes, but probably not in the way the OP intended. Current handhelds are a nice addition to, but not a replacement for, current home consoles or PCs until we see better improvements for streaming that'll allow us to game on any device.

No. Handhelds are good companion devices but they are never replacing consoles (for Sony at least).

Nintendo are the only ones putting out huge numbers in that space. Steam Deck is nice but 3 million sold according to the last estimate is pretty shit compared to the consoles.

I can see a future where Sony is releasing a handheld device to go with their consoles but it's not going to be replacing the console for them. MS is cooked in the console space so maybe they'll be more willing to go the hybrid/handheld route.

Guilty_AI

I don't know, I'm not super informed and I don't want to pretend to be. Can you tell me why games cost so much and take such a long time to make, and why lowering the focus on fidelity wouldn't help?
It's hard to say for certain but i think a lot of the ballooning costs come down to the fact big publishers bleed talent all the time and try to make up for it with numbers.

If you know anything about game dev, its a very interdisciplinary process, and having few people with experience and branching knowledge in the multiple areas involved can be way better than many hyperspecialized individuals.

Graphics can affect costs too but not directly, and probably not as much as the above issue. It's more that if you increase graphical fidelity, you end up having to invest in a lot of other areas to make sure everything is up to par with the visuals (like voice acting, testing, art, sound, animation, etc.)

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think the gaming space will become increasingly a high risk space on console and the costs of those risks will be passed on increasingly to consumers. Handhelds are just another piece of hardware that you will pay a luxury tax for. Consider the PS Portal. It’s essentially a standard screen that runs streaming software and you play remotely with a standard controller and it’s $250 dollars. I also think it’s a market test on how it sells and what pricing they can get away with. The result, highly popular and price isn’t an issue.

If Sony were to make an actual handheld I feel it would be the same price as the Pro console because it’s essentially a console, it’s convenient, plus a luxury tax because they can. I think people will be looking at an $800 item. I think the PS6 base console will be $799 now that Xbox is spasming though so who knows.

Last edited:
Yeah well, back when the Wii became a hit console, everyone thought that waggle controls were gonna be the future and that casual games will take over the hardcore. Needless to say, that never happened. The industry didn't become "Nintendofied" from the Wii's success, and neither will the Switch. If anything, handheld gaming will always play second fiddle to traditional gaming. Also, there's no such thing as having good enough graphics. I heard that same argument back in the Wii vs PS360 wars where everyone said that HD wasn't important, Super Mario Galaxy style graphics were "good enough", yadayadayada. And still, HD became the norm. There's always room for improvement. Diminishing returns? I don't think so, unless you're talking about the jump from Wii to Switch.

Cyberpunkd

Switch 2 will probably be a paradigm shift for the industry. If it's pumping out PS4/Pro level graphics to a 720/1080p screen the graphics might be close enough to its next gen counterparts that Joe Normie might not see a huge difference.
Honestly - I don’t think Nintendo is capable right now to deliver 1080p game @ 60FPS from their core IPs, they spent too much time with dogshit hardware. For non-Nintedo IPs - many handhelds are already delivering what they will never match.

Nintendo audience doesn’t need cutting tech.

Top Bottom