• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are handhelds the future? Can we reduce dev time and costs with them?

Worth remembering that the last time Nintendo and Sony tried to support a home console and handheld console at the same time it didn’t work out.

Wii U and Vita both struggled while their manufacturers were trying to split development between two platforms.

Any future handheld must be compatible with all games on the home system. So ideally the next Sony handheld would need to play either PS5 games or PS6 games. For brand simplicity, it should also bear either the PS5 or PS6 name (thought it doesn’t necessarily need to use the same architecture).

However in order to achieve this, they’ll have to endure the problems that developers are having with Xbox Series S support being mandatory to get games on Series X. If it only plays some of the games then the market may become confused. And no, using the “SteamDeck Verified” model isn’t simple enough for the mass market.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

So, I don't usually make threads, but I've been thinking about this for a while ever since the PS5 Pro announcement.

As some of you may know, the current rumors for the next generation of Xbox and Playstation look similar: An enthusiast, traditional console that most likely will cost a lot of money, and a handheld designed for the core audience. Xbox seemingly wants to try their hand at this a couple years earlier, but both companies want to go torward a similar direction.

The Nintendo Switch and especially the Steam Deck have shown that people are ready and willing to have premium gaming experiences on a specifically designed handheld console. When I think back on my childhood, I remember thinking just how awesome the PSP was. It was essentially a PS2 but in my hands. Playing Tekken and Monster Hunter, even God of War, it was a blast. I think this concept has always and will always be enticing to people, which is why especially the Switch dominates so hard.

It also proves that you do not need to go balls to the walls hard on fidelity. The successes of Nintendo's games and games like Elden Ring that are outside of Nintendo's ecosystem show that, if you can just make a pretty enough looking game, achieved with amazing art direction, and just focus on gameplay, you can sell gangbusters.

We live in times where games have insane costs and dev times. I've always lamented the latter. It sucks. I know that we get plenty games year after year, but what if I like a specific game, and want more of it? I guess I should get ready for a minimum wait of 4 years. Ghost of Tsushima is one my favourite games from last gen and 4 years later there isn't so much as a peep of its sequel.

And now with this recent trend of handhelds getting more popular, could this be the paradigm shift the industry needs? Could this be the solution to these problems? These traditional consoles have cemented themselves as goods that push fideility first, much like gaming PCs. Handhelds do not have that sort of image. You kind of don't expect that, gaming on a handheld and all. What if Microsoft and Sony decided to "copy" Nintendo and focus less on fidelity, and more on other things like logic, physics, ai and art direction while subsequently lowering budgets and dev times?

And for those that want more, the traditional enthusiast consoles will simply take what's on the handhelds, but offer an enhanced experience. Much like emulating Switch games on PC. I'm sure you've seen some of those 4k 60 fps Tears of the Kingdom vids!

Handhelds would also be generally more affordable. I think the PS5 Pro is simply a sign of times to come. These "traditional" consoles will keep going up in price. A handheld focused industry would be more affordable and healthier. Plus in terms of tech, we got all that AI stuff happening too. There's so many advancements that have been made. Handhelds, for the average consumer, just seem ideal going forward.

I personally think this would be a great future. This is of course completely subjective, and many might not agree, but I just feel like games have looked good enough for more than a decade and have entered the diminishing returns era eons ago. Bobby Kotick said that the Nintendo Switch 2 has power comparable with the PS4 (or even PS4 Pro, not sure on that one). If you can give me that + DLSS and have me playing games like The Last of Us Part 2 I'll be over the damn moon. I do not need more. I think games don't more than that.

I guess my questions to you guys are:
- Would you like a "Nintendofied" gaming industry? If not, why?
- Do you have other suggestions to stop the ballooning game dev costs and especially dev lengths?

I'd like to read some of your ideas.
you can do all this without being on a nerfed overpriced handheld.

Astrobot just released and MS has put out (although not cared about) titles like hi-fi rush and grounded.

It's the chase for everything to make fortnite money that is destroying most things. We are in an era of just consume consume, more content... So we get the same slop repackaged in a different skin and that is what gamers are getting bored of. It's why a Helldivers 2 can take the world by storm, while nothing unique, it was just different from your generic AAA slop and same goes for space marine 2, not breaking any ground but they focused on good old fashioned fun over content, content, consume, content.

We also just need pubs and devs to stop fighting with and hating their audience and instead just embrace them.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Any handheld by Sony/Microsoft is going to have to support the exact same games as PS6 and whatever Xbox Next we get. This is the standard Steam Deck and PC handhelds has set. Anything else is DOA.

The future is just making games with highly scalable graphics which can range from like 10W to 600W GPUs, everything else like RAM, storage speed and CPU performance etc is fairly fine between device categories.

Parazels

Among the current handhelds I take seriously only Switch, because I know there is Nintendo's power behind the console. I believe them.

I can't take seriously pc handhelds. They feel like experimental devices with no guarantee, no optimization, no clear future.

My conclusion? Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are able to create a mass market portable console, because they are very respectable companies. I think customers figure out the same.

Asus, Lenovo, MSI etc? No.

Valve? Maybe, but it's still in the shitty pc niche.

Last edited:
The future is just making games with highly scalable graphics which can range from like 10W to 600W GPUs, everything else like RAM, storage speed and CPU performance etc is fairly fine between device categories.
Tell me you've never looked at PC power and performance stats for any component without telling me that you've never looked at any power and performance stats.....

Any handheld by Sony/Microsoft is going to have to support the exact same games as PS6 and whatever Xbox Next we get. This is the standard Steam Deck and PC handhelds has set. Anything else is DOA.

A low powered basic handheld would also be under constant threat from mobile and smartphones

I think the iPhone is a big reason why the PS Vita didn’t take off. The SteamDeck form factor is the way forward, but they’ll also need console sensibilities (eg: every PS5 game runs and runs well) for them to be mass market.

As much as I loved the PSP, iPhone changed everything and there’s no going back to that.

Last edited:
Among the current handhelds I take seriously only Switch, because I know there is Nintendo's power behind the console. I believe them.

I can't take seriously pc handhelds. They feel like experimental devices with no guarantee, no optimization, no clear future.

My conclusion? Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are able to create a mass market portable console, because they are very respectable companies. I think customers figure out the same.

Asus, Lenovo, MSI etc? No.

Valve? Maybe, but it's still in the shitty pc niche.

Fully agree, only Sony can have mass market success here (outside Nintendo anyway).

But they must learn from the mistakes with the Vita and not end up supporting two platforms again.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
A low powered basic handheld would also be under constant threat from mobile and smartphones

I think the iPhone is a big reason why the PS Vita didn’t take off. The SteamDeck form factor is the way forward, but they’ll also need console sensibilities (eg: every PS5 game runs and runs well) for them to be mass market.

As much as I loved the PSP, iPhone changed everything and there’s no going back to that.

There's a big (monumental) gap in the gaming library between a low powered handheld like the 3DS or Switch and the iPhone's native mobile apps. iPhone has like Genshin and HSR, and almost nothing else of note, certainly not in the numbers 3DS or Switch has, where you can list off thousands of AA and 1st party games without even blinking an eye.

It definitely feels like handhelds which can run 75%+ of multiplatform games are a viable solution for gaming/gamers to continue existing and iterating on themselves.

Or handhelds that target the prior gen - like people keep saying they'd love to see Sony release a PS4 handheld. I think if we see Sony move past the PS Portal to another handheld or a MS sponsored/branded PC gaming handheld (I mean the Ally/Go is basically this already with gamepass), but perhaps with the Xbox OS or something, that'll just be even more evidence the handheld market is thriving.

Last edited:
Or handhelds that target the prior gen - like people keep saying they'd love to see Sony release a PS4 handheld.

I made a thread about this, people don’t seem keen…

I think a PS5 Portable releasing towards the end of the generation would be the best bet

- Keep costs down
- Have a huge library of games available at launch
- Take advantage of the inevitable cross gen once PS6 launches

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, yah. The current gen leader is the Nintendo Switch, which is a hybrid handheld and double as a home console. And hybrid handheld models has a lot of rooms to grow. Sooner or later the gap with home console will be so close or negligible, you’ll have to zoom in to tell the difference like the PS5 Pro trailer

Sony is currently trapped in the neverending chase for more fidelity while their products get more expensive, and at the same time the rest is going to raise the bar of hybrid handheld gaming.

?

It's already the case. Wukong is the #1 played game on Steam Deck currently and looks to be decently above 30 fps. The same game will also make a 600W RTX 5090 sweat at 4K in the pathtraced cinematic preset.
Yeah, I'm not gonna start explaining why different kinds of games hit hardware very differently from scratch here.....
We've just come from a gen with very imbalanced hardware and the issues with that have been discussed ad nauseum.

Last edited:
There's still a place for both, but as the gap between handhelds and traditional home consoles decreases, we will increasingly see people opt for handhelds. Think about the desktop market vs laptops - for the vast majority of people, laptops are just a superior option.

Ammogeddon

They’re certainly the future for me. I bought an ally x on a bit of a whim a couple of weeks and it’s hands down one of the best bits of tech I’ve bought in a long while. Bear in mind I’m new to PC gaming too though. Games look and play way better than I thought they would. I dock it to my TV as well, and when I pair that with GeForce Now I’m golden.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
I’m sure handhelds are great you have Nintendo a real handheld empire and you want Microsoft making handhelds? Talk about a quick fix.

RickMasters

Boooooy….. I really hope not. Only so much you can do with a handheld as far as power/ performance.

I love my ally but I would never replace my PCs or Xbox with it. It’s more a compliment to them. It’s spend most of its time on my car, and on the road with me. When I’m at home it’s all about console and PC.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is what I think MS and Sony could be doing.

MS:
Xbox handheld - $399-$499 (arm, will aim for ps5 pro power)
Xbox PC - $999 (x86 PC in a console form)

Sony:
PS portable - $399-$499 (arm, will aim for ps5 pro power)
PS6 - traditional
PS6 pro - traditional

I hope to everything that is holy that this does not happen. Sounds like a recipe for a fragmented disaster scenario where every game will be limited by what the lowest common denominator can handle. Much worse than the current situation with the XSS.

Last edited:
If this handheld will do better at handling UE5 and current gen engines than the existing home consoles, then yeah. I suppose it will inherit the AI units from the bigger PS6 just like Switch 2, as well.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm personally more concerned with the death of Moore's law. People want more powerful hardware, but it's gonna come at a cost...

As far as game development goes, we're in a tight spot right now. But I think when AI gets better, the cost of game development will come down aswell. Even the big ones..

AndrewRyan

Ideal gaming for me is 120fps on the largest OLED I can find. However been traveling the last year and gaming primarily on the Steam Deck. And the last two months been using them with Viture XR glasses, bumping up the resolution to 1080p. It's a damn good substitution. I feel as the glasses technology improves these mobile devices will surely grab huge chunks of market share.

I'm personally more concerned with the death of Moore's law. People want more powerful hardware, but it's gonna come at a cost...

As far as game development goes, we're in a tight spot right now. But I think when AI gets better, the cost of game development will come down aswell. Even the big ones..

I’m guessing with this theory…

PC console power/graphics progression stops around 2040

Handhelds also stop, ending up quite weaker than consoles with no room for hrowth

Mobile phones also stop, ending up another step behind due to the market valuing the smaller size

At that point, the focus should shift from graphics (though graphics will be more than good enough for everyone by then).

At this point I also think streaming will really grow, but there will be a market limit due to lack of ownership.

Last edited:

Jesb

Didn’t game development just rise even more with the rise of handhelds? Since it’s an added platform(s) to develop for.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The gaming industry spent too much chasing cinema, and the TV industry somehow managed to slip wall-sized screens into more households than I would ever believe remotely possible (some people have convinced themselves that using a 42” as a desktop monitor is totally legit, ffs). They are not going to scale back after that. Or rather, they may try to combat the inevitable contraction of the home console market caused by the similarly inevitable raise of hardware prices. But they will be quick to backpedal when they find out that people are not going to compromise when they’ve been fed increasingly better realistic graphics for two and a half decades, and when people have gotten used to the biggest screen estate they can fit in their living room.
Handhelds are devices for people who commute a lot and want to play home games anywhere. In the west, that’s a niche that’s not going to expand as much as it’d need to in the age of ubiquitous smartphones.

People didn’t buy the Vita because they wanted the “real thing” on TVs that were getting bigger and bigger.
DS and PSP benefited enormously from 1) smartphones being in their infancy as do-it-all devices, and 2) widespread, easy-as-pie piracy.
These conditions are never going to happen again. Switch is successful thanks to Nintendo and Pokemon.

I’m all for competent handhelds, but they’re going to remain a complement for “real” gaming hardware for the foreseeable future.

Trilobit

I'm getting so sick and tired of open-world games like Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima that have barely any physics mechanics and poor interactivity with the world. I don't need every object to be destructable, but try at least making something that doesn't make you feel like you're just on a movie set wandering around. BotW is several generations behind both of those games graphically, but it actually made me feel connected to it and like I had an affect on the world. If pulling the breaks is what's needed for developers to focus on other things than high fidelity graphics then so be it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You dont need MS or Sony to do handhelds to reduce dev time and costs.

They just need to reduce dev time and costs.

If building a handheld forces them to do that both MS and Sony have much bigger problems.

Deerock71

Worth remembering that the last time Nintendo and Sony tried to support a home console and handheld console at the same time it didn’t work out.

Wii U and Vita both struggled while their manufacturers were trying to split development between two platforms.
I'm sorry (but NOT sorry), but the Wii U suffered, FIRST AND FOREMOST, from a marketing decision. If they simply called it Wii 2 or Super Wii, it would have trod the path the Switch is currently sailing.

ZehDon

We're starting to leave the zone of cost-effective console gaming, with consoles set to be positioned as "premium devices" with price tags to match. Handhelds introduce several physical restrictions - heat, weight, and size - that limit the scope of what can actually be put into the device, thus limiting its price compared to traditional consoles. With AUD$1,200.00 PlayStations on the horizon, and consoles that aren't being properly used four years into the generation while struggling to run poorly optimised and bloated games that are visually indistinguishable from last generation titles, I'll welcome anything that might get us off this current industry track.

Wildebeest

If you look at what people seem to want to play on the steam deck it is Cyberpunk, Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring, Wukong, God of War. So, nooooooo.

Last edited:

Katajx

No. I love my switch, but it’s definitely more of a handheld than a home console.

Looking at it next to the 3DS with things like Pokémon and things and the game prices have already went from $40 to 60 dollars in that transition.

Tears of the Kingdom was a sign of things to come.

W11d

Handheld is a good way to expand the ecosystem. It's just need to be powerful enough so the PS5 games could be ported easily to it working at 1080p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I consider them more as a companion for PCs and consoles. And frankly speaking, it's not a bad thing

As for dev time, I feel handhelds like Steam Deck may actually become a big help especially for indies where high end graphics aren't a priority, but in a bit different way than you expect. I heard multiple stories of devs who are showing their games by using handhelds like Deck during trade shows, either to colleagues from the industry or to quickly present their game to some of the execs in business areas and by doing so securing a proper pitch meetings with them. This type of stuff can help a lot with gathering quick feedback, securing meetings that otherwise wouldn't be possible and the like

This is the sweet thing about current handheld PC’s hybrid concept taken from Nintendo Switch. It is also applicable to consumers too, who can now carry their Switch 2, Steam Deck, ROG Ally or any PC handheld for some LAN or multiplayer gaming during visiting or gathering. And they are only going to get more powerful in the coming years and close the game.

Now, any handheld PC can handle every PS5 non-VR games like Rift Apart or GOW Ragnarok. Sooner or later they will handle these games with better fidelity. There’s a lot of room to grow.

We’re moving into the era with such freedom. No more tethering to a TV just to play games. But that will only be possible if the platforms can handle games with various fidelity. It will be dumb to get a game designed for TV to work on a portable without impact such as battery draw due to rendering 4K and bunch of graphical effects.

This generation Nintendo and Microsoft has been asking their 3rd party developer to craft lower fidelity of their games for Nintendo Switch and Series S, so getting them to work on next gen handhelds like Switch 2 or Xbox portable is a smaller issue. PC games are very scalable with bunch of settings to cater for various hardware, from high end desktop to low end laptop, so getting them to work on handheld PC is just an easy extension.

It is only Sony who’s going to be unprepared for this, as the PS5 games are optimized for only high end home consoles gaming environment. Getting every PS5 games to work on a portable is going to have issues like lower battery life. The developers would have to go back to optimize and offer a handheld version of their PS5 games which is unrealistic. By the time a PS handheld improved to the point where they can easily handle PS5 games with high end console fidelity like 4K and ray tracing, PS7 would have been released.

No. Handhelds mean you get less performance for your money, that's just how it works. I want maximum quality on my TV. Immersion on a tiny handheld screen is close to zero.

(I do enjoy the hybrid concept of the Switch, but making that the only thing that exists? No thanks.)
Yeah, the introduction of laptops and hybrid PC tablets didn't cease the production of desktop PCs.

The proliferation of home TVs didn't stop people from attending movie theaters.

Same deal with handhelds and home consoles. They will always co-exist. The Switch's success will never take away the demand for premium games. Sure, development costs are rising, but companies are also making more money than ever and gamers are still willing to pay good money for high budget AAA experiences like Wukong, RDR2, Spiderman 2, and the upcoming GTA 6, which is gonna be a massive game that will sell gangbusters I'm sure of that won't be possible on underpowered hardware like the Switch.

Last edited:

kevboard

handhelds are the future in the sense that we will reach a point in the next 20 to 30 years where the amount of hardware power you can get in a portable device and the limit of what AAA dev teams can produce will be matched.

then the hardware will slowly grow above the power needed to basically perfectly run anything any dev team can throw at it.

once that point is reached it would be nonsensical to have a stationary device when your portable device can deliver the same quality and can easily be connected to a TV to be used on the big screen.

Last edited:
handhelds are the future in the sense that we will reach a point in the next 20 to 30 years where the amount of hardware power you can get in a portable device and the limit of what AAA dev teams can produce will be matched.

then the hardware will slowly grow above the power needed to basically perfectly run anything any dev team can throw at it.

once that point is reached it would be nonsensical to have a stationary device when your portable device can deliver the same quality and can easily be connected to a TV to be used on the big screen.
Not without jacking up the price though. Compact devices tend to be more expensive to manufacture than stationary ones. Laptops are a great example of why they cost more than desktops.

yurinka

Steamdeck only sold around 3.3M units and pretty likely the other PC handhelds sold much less. But I think a big potential there. I think that in the future can take the role of Series S but being hybrid consoles, and at the same time a minimum baseline regarding what hardware should support PC games.

At the same time, they can be the succesor of -in case of PS- the PS Player: using it also as a Remote Play player and as cloud gaming player.

And as PC+console+mobile keep converging as market getting more games like Fortnite or the MiHoyo ones, they may also take the role of a more hardcore and premium yet approchable gaming device for mobile phone players.

I think in the future these PC handhelds won't replace PC, home consoles or mobile gaming. But will be complementary to all 3 and also the bridge between them.

Sony already is a top 10 publisher on Steam history, and I think in a handful years will open their own PC PSN, which I assume will be heavily integrated with the conosle one (crossbuy, crossplay, shared cloud saves, shared friends and trophies etc. to all) and obviously would be greatly benefited from getting a PS PC handheld that would also complement their home console and act as lower horsepower cheaper entry point for it.

Multiple crossed synergies that I think would turn them on the biggest player on the PC handhelds. Which combined with the other ones from the other brands, I think will keep eating Switch market share.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do not want a "Nintendofied" gaming industry whatsoever. Handhelds are a great complimentary device for the vast majority of people, but let's not overstate where handhelds stand in the industry right now. We are not talking about devices that are approaching PlayStation and Nintendo levels of sales.

I think PCs and consoles will remain the focus of game development, but devs will eventually have to keep handhelds in mind when make their games to ensure that growing populace can play the games.
Din din din, i would straight up stop playing if this would happen.

Killjoy-NL

Steam Deck transformed my outlook completely.

Chasing higher resolution is a dead end. The deck allowed me to forget almost all of that and just enjoy playing games.
Didnt Steam Deck sell >5M?

That's the opposite of being the future.

Edit:

Beaten.
It apparently sold around 3.3M.

That's a complete joke. If anything I'd be looking at a hybrid like Switch.

Last edited:

mrabott

We have to dial back. The new Star Wars game got me thinking. We don't need huge open world games, 100 hours long, with 50 thousand pages of dialogue and full of cutscenes. I think the devs should release less ambitious and more creative games.

RCX

Didnt Steam Deck sell >5M?

That's the opposite of being the future.

Edit:

Beaten.
It apparently sold around 3.3M.

That's a complete joke. If anything I'd be looking at a hybrid like Switch.
Not suggesting the deck by itself is the future. But it seems to have lit a fire under every major player in the console space (besides Nintendo who were already there) to the point where they're all making moves towards their own mobile consoles.

What I'm saying is that the compromises made on handheld dont matter anything as much as I thought they did when I was exclusively playing on a PC with a much larger screen

Top Bottom