• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ariel cast in live action Little Mermaid Movie

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
DbBhBVQ.jpg

Not sure what you're saying here...

1. WTH are you on about? Who said anything like that?

2. That makes no sense

1. The quoted poster called people racist because, as you explained, "He's talking about the posts (thankfully only a few) saying her hair looks ugly.".
Either it's also racist for a black guy to say a white woman has ugly hair, or double standards.

2. I agree, the same way it makes no sense to call for cultural appropriation when a white woman has dreadlocks

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
1. The quoted poster called people racist because, as you explained, "He's talking about the posts (thankfully only a few) saying her hair looks ugly.".
Either it's also racist for a black guy to say a white woman has ugly hair, or double standards.

2. I agree, the same way it makes no sense to call for cultural appropriation when a white woman has dreadlocks

You're doing good! Now it's time to figure out why there's a double standard!

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Her hair style reminded me of Twi’lek lekku. Thought it was obvious.

I thought you were talking about her eyes. Some think they're too far apart but I think they're fine for her face.

1. I've NEVER heard a black man call a white woman's hair ugly ... It's usually the opposite on both ends.

2. I think most non-white folks are offended when a white person locks their hair because it isn't the same as when a black person does it. If a white person washes their locked hair, it comes undone. So there's a smell associated with a white person with locks. When a black person washes their locks, the locks stay put and the hair doesn't smell bad. It isn't the same process for locking.

I'm still laughing at McCheese's joke. I've been laughing all day.

OT: I don't care what colour she is. I just wanted to see a hot red-head take on Ariel. Imagine if Jessica Rabbit was changed?

Maybe this is the Disney equivalent of the Tifa issue? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
There was that one moment of clarity within the woke press. When a reboot for Buffy The Vampire Slayer was announced with a black lead. All of a sudden, once it was something they cared about, they started making the exact same arguments they call fans of other series' racist for making.

No, I Don’t Want a Black Buffy Reboot, and Here’s Why - The Mary Sue

This is literally the "make original POC characters" argument.

Lets see them try casting a white lead in Blade

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still laughing at McCheese's joke. I've been laughing all day.

OT: I don't care what colour she is. I just wanted to see a hot red-head take on Ariel. Imagine if Jessica Rabbit was changed?

Maybe this is the Disney equivalent of the Tifa issue? :pie_thinking:
Squeenix made Tifa Asian looking after the main game though. With every game outside the terrible fighting game nobody is playing , they made her face look less like the original. She still at least has the same hair color?

Zangiefy360

Banned
Cultural appropriation only counts when it's whites "taking" the parts of minorities. Got it.

Disney is going to have some tough decisions, will the Ariel's out there (for example at the ride at Magic Kingdom) have their skin painted to reflect Black Arial? How about in future Kingdom Hearts games?

Anyway, I'll pass on this and stick to the cartoon. Loved the cartoon as a kid, but clearly Disney's desire for woke points outweighs their desire to be true to the source material.

Last edited:

You're doing good! Now it's time to figure out why there's a double standard!
We all know why there's a double standard.
Being evasive doesn't suddenly make a double standard any less duplicitous, it just adds dishonesty to it.

1. I've NEVER heard a black man call a white woman's hair ugly ... It's usually the opposite on both ends.
Your anecdotal take doesn't remove the double standard.

2. I think most non-white folks are offended when a white person locks their hair because it isn't the same as when a black person does it. If a white person washes their locked hair, it comes undone. So there's a smell associated with a white person with locks. When a black person washes their locks, the locks stay put and the hair doesn't smell bad. It isn't the same process for locking.
Your prejudice and projection are showing.

Please don't try to justify this garbage with some more projection and prejudice.

Just do the test, always do the test:
Swap the words around. If you feel differently about what it says then you have your answer.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Bunch of grown up men in this thread getting their panties twisted because a black chick was cast in a kiddy movie.

I mean if we're doing this shit then I look forward to a movie about Tupac played by Channing Tatum. White folks playing other races causes a problem but the reverse doesn't. Maybe the folks bitching aren't the ones who are racist they just see the blatant double standards.

lock2k

Banned
I mean if we're doing this shit then I look forward to a movie about Tupac played by Channing Tatum. White folks playing other races causes a problem but the reverse doesn't. Maybe the folks bitching aren't the ones who are racist they just see the blatant double standards.

Just imagine...

Tupac and Notorous B.I.G. the movie...

Starrring Harry Styles and Jonah Hill. lmao

Harry-Styles-image-harry-styles-36761842-500-627.jpg

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Just imagine...

Tupac and Notorous B.I.G. the movie...

Starrring Harry Styles and Jonah Hill. lmao

Harry-Styles-image-harry-styles-36761842-500-627.jpg

Apparently there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's fucking stupid but that's just me. If folks can't look at this logically and see why this is an issue before crying racism then ya can't be helped imo.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Ariel isn't real.

Tupac was.

Why is it when this topic comes up, someone always brings up a real person being played by another race.

Ariel is fictional.

ExpandKong

Banned
Ariel isn't real.

Tupac was.

Why is it when this topic comes up, someone always brings up a real person being played by another race.

Ariel is fictional.

Then Blade.

Or Black Panther.

Or any other example of a fictional character you could’ve come up with on your own.

lock2k

Banned
Apparently there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's fucking stupid but that's just me. If folks can't look at this logically and see why this is an issue before crying racism then ya can't be helped imo.

I would watch the fuck out of that because it would be so funny seeing him perform as Tupac.

Ariel isn't real.

Tupac was.

Ariel is fictional.
Unless a film biopic is going to be 100% accurate to real life in every single regard then your argument falls over.

None of it is actually real.

Also, there was a guy who won an oscar recently that portrayed a real person despite being a different nationality to them.
Funny how not a single person had an issue with it.

When Cate Blanchette portrayed Bob Dylan in the "I'm Not There" biopic, did you have an issue with this not being an accurate reflection of a 'real person' because of a mismatched immutable characteristic?

Once again, the double standards and prejudice are front and centre.
I'm fine with this, because as the mountain of double-standards grows ever higher, the easier it is to identify the social grifters that rely on them.

Last edited:

thequestion

This whole experience, with Ariel, feels like Disney wanted to go on a fishing expedition. If they dropped in on this thread, they would quickly realize, they’d need a bigger net.

Ya’ll just made a list in a google database.

Change to popular, established characters is a good thing. It shows growth and tolerance, as a society.

For example, In the next Spider-Man movie, Peter will be in a love triangle with his much older boyfriend, and Doctor Octopus, who is a Trans. It will be a great film filled with action and contemporary romance we should all relate to, and enjoy.

There will always be detractors who allow fear to fill their hearts, but
hopefully, by the time: Spider-man: Homerun, hits theatres, you will all fall in line.

kunonabi

Funny how you mentioned DC because Aquaman because is supposed to be white and have blonde hair. No one seemed bothered by Mamoa playing as Aquaman. Otherwise, there would have been a thread about it.

I refused to see Aguaman because of the Mamoa casting. Of course, I also think he's a freaking terrible actor to boot. Didn't matter to anyone else because nobody cares about Aquaman.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Unless a film biopic is going to be 100% accurate to real life in every single regard then your argument falls over.

None of it is actually real.

Also, there was a guy who won an oscar recently that portrayed a real person despite being a different nationality to them.
Funny how not a single person had an issue with it.

When Cate Blanchette portrayed Bob Dylan in the "I'm Not There" biopic, did you have an issue with this not being an accurate reflection of a 'real person' because of a mismatched immutable characteristic?

Once again, the double standards and prejudice are front and centre.
I'm fine with this, because as the mountain of double-standards grows ever higher, the easier it is to identify the social grifters that rely on them.

Your post is riddled with assumptions of what I have seen, know and agree or disagree with.

Never seen the Bob Dylan movie
Have no idea what actor and movie you're talking about

Also, were you ok with Angelina Jolie playing a real life light skinned black woman?

And so what if the biopics aren't 100% accurate. They were still real people. So no, your argument falls to pieces there

Mihos

Gold Member
Halle Berry. The 52 year old? There's seriously no one else younger? What about Naomi Scott?

Bailey

Berry already made her woke contribution when she took cat woman.

Who knows, maybe it will work out. Like with Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury, or Idris Elba as Heimdall

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
No, but does he look standard black as Blade does? Hell no. In Brazil we don't have one drop rule so he is neither white nor black to me. He is mixed. A third "race" if you will. Looks completely different when compared to Blade. Just goes to show how this whole concept of race is stupid.

Your post is riddled with assumptions of what I have seen, know and agree or disagree with.
No, it takes your rhetoric and applies it uniformally rather than selectively.
I merely removed the prejudice.

Never seen the Bob Dylan movie
Have no idea what actor and movie you're talking about
Ignorance is not an excuse.
Excusing yourself from having to address a counterpoint means you've evaded it, not addressed it.

Also, were you ok with Angelina Jolie playing a real life light skinned black woman?
I'm OK with a lot of things. I want the best placed, most viable, best performing person in the post.
I don't care about easy optics and superficial championing.
I'm old and cynical enough to know when a corporation is patting me on the back with one hand, whilst the other hand is reaching for my wallet.

Things I'll never be OK with:
Hypocrisy, double-standards, prejudice, dishonesty, bullies.

And so what if the biopics aren't 100% accurate. They were still real people. So no, your argument falls to pieces there
Au contraire, if you're OK with them being about real people and not being 100% accurate ..
.. then then you just defeated your own point about real people being needed to be accurately portrayed.

Congratulations, you just disproved your own point.
And proved my point about prejudice and double-standards instead.

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned

Mermaid is obviously a protected race or something lol.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No, it takes your rhetoric and applies it uniformally rather than selectively.
I merely removed the prejudice.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

I'm OK with a lot of things. I want the best placed, most viable, best performing person in the post.
I don't care about easy optics and superficial championing.
I'm old and cynical enough to know when a corporation is patting me on the back with one hand, whilst the other hand is reaching for my wallet.

Things I'll never be OK with:
Hypocrisy, double-standards, prejudice, dishonesty, bullies.

Au contraire, if you're OK with them being about real people and not being 100% accurate ..
.. then then you just defeated your own point about real people being needed to be accurately portrayed.

Congratulations, you just disproved your own point.
And proved my point about prejudice and double-standards instead.

Ok. You win. Don't agree with anything you said but you win. I don't do constant back and forths. Enjoy, hoss.

ExpandKong

Banned
Bailey

Berry already made her woke contribution when she took cat woman.

Who knows, maybe it will work out. Like with Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury, or Idris Elba as Heimdall

Shit I’d rather have Sam Jackson as Ariel. If you’re gonna go woke go wide fucking awake.

“YOU WANT THINGAMABOBS? I GOT TWENTY MOTHERFUCKER!”

Last edited:
Ok. You win. Don't agree with anything you said but you win. I don't do constant back and forths. Enjoy, hoss.
I really don't see conversations in the context of 'win' and 'lose'.
I've raised contextually valid points that have not been addressed - just evaded instead.

Rather than look at this exchange to better appreciate how such rhetoric perpetuates double-standards and prejudice, you've chosen to duck out of any sincere engagement and still choose to assert that I must be wrong regardless.

I'm sorry to say I recognise this behaviour all to well.

lock2k

Banned
My best friend is biracial (white mom, black dad) but looking at her, you'd think she was either JUST white or native Latina. And Vin's father is black.

See, that's another misconception.

I am latino, but I'm white. There's a whole concept of latinos being tanned or whatever, but it's not a standard look at all :)

Top Bottom