• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkanoid appreciation (and Neo question)

Grifter

I'm trying to find the name of these 2 different Neo games that were like Arkanoid, but presented as 2P VS. puzzle games (Tetris style, kinda like how Twinkle Star Sprites is done as a puzzle shooter). I recall playing 2 separate games with that same premise.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone else find Arkanoid extremely frustrating? I always found the game interesting in the arcade, esp. with the control that the wheel provides, and was half decent at it once thanks to the NES release. But losing my ball in that game is just crushing, much worse than losing at pinball or getting killed in other games. Go for a power-up, die. Get multi-ball, die. Get the laser and get excited about shooting down tiles yourself, die immediately. I couldn't take the game in big doses. Oh yeah...appreciation. Well, the game doesn't age and I still enjoy it today so something brings me back to fail.

Link316

Banned
Grifter said:
I'm trying to find the name of these 2 different Neo games that were like Arkanoid, but presented as 2P VS. puzzle games (Tetris style, kinda like how Twinkle Star Sprites is done as a puzzle shooter). I recall playing 2 separate games with that same premise.

Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Arkanoid Returns on PS1 is pretty neat, if only for Squash Mode (2 player alternating co-op). The level editor is a decent time waster, too.

Grifter

No...you actually guided a board on your half of the screen to hit a ball into tiles. I can see where you'd see the similarities tho. I hated the later BAM sequels but I'm not sure if BAM Again or Puzzle De Pon is better.

Top Bottom