• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead |OT| Your browser can't handle its GIFs

Dennis

Banned
I tested out the Sukhoi SU-25 and posted a brief 1080p video on YouTube.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9q7tSy7cuo

Performance was really good even at the 2560x1600 resolution I recorded with FRAPS. Recording also knocks of a good 10 fps so don't let any choppiness fool you. It was smooth.

About performance: I have all settings at max except Post-processing as I find having that enabled gives me a unsharp, washed out look.

Exterior and interior view in sceens below

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Damn, every time I watch a youtube clip of these games I really really want to buy it. I just want to plop my soldier down in the middle of a crazy war zone and just look around. I am this goddamn close to grabbing the pack.

Edit: This thread broke me, I picked up ARMA II for 20$.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I take it my laptop won't be able to run this game very well? I'm running:

P8800 at 2.66
4 gigs
Mobility Radeon 4570
Win 7

EviLore said:
*loads up Arma II*

*puts everything on Very High*

Oh yeah, that works :D

Yeah, after 1.07, shit is RIGHT.

Stallion, glad to hear you join us. You can literally keep yourself busy for hours just placing units and coordinating your own battles.

Even better is when you download missions for online co-op that are designed to never play the same way twice--everything changes. Need to get a GAF game going soon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, after 1.07, shit is RIGHT.

Stallion, glad to hear you join us. You can literally keep yourself busy for hours just placing units and coordinating your own battles.

Even better is when you download missions for online co-op that are designed to never play the same way twice--everything changes. Need to get a GAF game going soon.
Using Mumble? Hells to the yes. I'm thrilled to hear about all the performance improvements. The demo didn't run that poorly for me so the full game should run pretty fantastically. I just need to get home from this family reunion that goes until the next Monday :(

Salacious Crumb

Stallion Free said:
No, I'm pretty sure the $50 for the bundle factors in that ARMA II is currently $20 on sale on Steam.

Damn, I don't have that much money to spare right now. I guess I'll just get arrowhead by itself when I get paid next week. I do already own ArmA 2, just not on steam (D2D), so this is probably for the best anyway

I've wanted to try this game for a long time and the sale today pushed me over the edge. I started the download about noon today and in three minutes it will be done! :D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Okay, so first I loaded up Boot Camp in Arma II original, and was hit with crazy bugs like the shooting range guy immediately failing me and then asking me to retry in an infinite loop, and other such nonsense.

Then I loaded up the new Boot Camp in Operation Arrowhead and everything went fine, and it actually explained the mechanics of the game a hell of a lot better, and seemed much more polished in general.

markot

Banned
EviLore said:
Okay, so first I loaded up Boot Camp in Arma II original, and was hit with crazy bugs like the shooting range guy immediately failing me and then asking me to retry in an infinite loop, and other such nonsense.

Then I loaded up the new Boot Camp in Operation Arrowhead and everything went fine, and it actually explained the mechanics of the game a hell of a lot better, and seemed much more polished in general.
Any point getting the first one then >.<?

GeneralIroh said:
How is the multiplayer mode for this? Is there a coop mode?
The whole reason to buy ARMA II is basically for the multi-player...at least it was for me. They seriously have one of the best multi-player communities to play co-op missions with. I am not sure if everyone here feels the same way, but it feels like ARMA II has a more "mature" gaming community when compared to other FPS multi-player games. The multi-player component of the game is extremely customizable and rarely have I ever played the same co-op missions twice. My personal favorite are servers that run a mode where basically you try to clear out the AI in town after town with around ~50 other people.

Unrelated, as all of you have been saying that last patch is incredible performance wise. I could never run the game in full settings since the game came out and now I can. Along with being able to run full settings, the game plays buttery smooth now. Incredible!

EDIT:

If this unofficial trailer does not give you guys a boner to get OA, then I do not know what will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtmXMFWajk

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Performance seems pretty bad in Arrowhead. 1080p/high/noAA/fullAF was just about unplayable in the first mission, stuttery mess and regularly dipping to 20fps, as opposed to a solid 60fps in vanilla Arma II with the same settings.

i7 @ 3.6, 5870, 12GB ram...

slamskank

The last time I installed Arma 2 I couldn't get into a server. How am I supposed to know which servers are running what mods? It's kind of a turn off, I tried installing ACE2 but failed. Now that steam has finally rolled an autoupdate ill give this another shot. Can anyone tell me what Arma2 and OA's combined install size is?

19Kilo

So I downloaded and installed ArmA II last night prior to kicking off the AO download. Set up my display options and then tried the benchmarks. CTD with crazy errors every time. Couldn't find anything online about those specific errors, so I thought hmm maybe corrupted files or something. Steam --> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. 3 files found corrupted. Steam automatically redownloaded them and then everything was fine. Steam rocks :D

slamskank said:
The last time I installed Arma 2 I couldn't get into a server. How am I supposed to know which servers are running what mods? It's kind of a turn off, I tried installing ACE2 but failed. Now that steam has finally rolled an autoupdate ill give this another shot. Can anyone tell me what Arma2 and OA's combined install size is?
16 gigs or so

19Kilo said:
Steam rocks :D
rocks so much it corrupted the files in the first place. awesome

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dropped Arrowhead down to Medium and benchmarked....still a stuttery mess regardless of the framerate. Why is it that Arrowhead doesn't appear to have any of the optimizations they just gave Arma II? Very silly. Looks like I probably should've waited a year before picking up the expansion, like I waited a year to pick up Arma II, for them to get things right.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
EviLore said:
Dropped Arrowhead down to Medium and benchmarked....still a stuttery mess regardless of the framerate. Why is it that Arrowhead doesn't appear to have any of the optimizations they just gave Arma II? Very silly. Looks like I probably should've waited a year before picking up the expansion, like I waited a year to pick up Arma II, for them to get things right.
Could you post your rig specs?
I wanna see how many bucks i need to run Arma II. (Need a new PC)

EviLore said:
:lol
Sowwy. V__V

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
EviLore said:
I havent played in PC in a loooooong time.
DirectX10 and 11 are Vista/7 exclusive right?

EDIT: I always worked on OpenGL games so im totally out of the loop about DX. :s

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh wow, that sounds awesome.

And then I remember that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (my introduction to MilSims) was crazy broken with the AI having pin-point accuracy with an M16 from a mile away. :lol

Shame I don't have a PC capable of running this. :(

Fersis said:
I havent played in PC in a loooooong time.
DirectX10 and 11 are Vista/7 exclusive right?

EDIT: I always worked on OpenGL games so im totally out of the loop about DX. :s

Yes, DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 are only available on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

EviLore said:

Damn, that's disappointing. They were hyping up how the performance is much better--maybe they couldn't implement the 1.07 changes in time for the release, considering 1.07 was just released a week ago?

slamskank

Mr. Snrub said:
Damn, that's disappointing. They were hyping up how the performance is much better--maybe they couldn't implement the 1.07 changes in time for the release, considering 1.07 was just released a week ago?
With this news I'll be sticking with vanilla arma 2 until this gets patched with 1.07 improvements.

just bought Operation Arrowhead. your right about the performance, seems very unstable. one sec it will be running at 60 the down to 20 up and down.

the training levels have been good so far, much easier that arma which was the last one i played.

wish there was a way to turn off the motion blur though, never been a fan of it, its to distracting.

Sniping is so great, setting the scope distance and leading the target make it so satisfying when you hit the target :)

Dennis

Banned
electristan said:
just bought Operation Arrowhead. your right about the performance, seems very unstable. one sec it will be running at 60 the down to 20 up and down.

the training levels have been good so far, much easier that arma which was the last one i played.

wish there was a way to turn off the motion blur though, never been a fan of it, its to distracting.

Sniping is so great, setting the scope distance and leading the target make it so satisfying when you hit the target :)
Turn off Motion Blur by setting Post-processing to Disabled.

Quite frankly I don't understand how anybody could play with motion blur on. Its the most ridiculously exagerated blur effect ever.

DennisK4 said:
Turn off Motion Blur by setting Post-processing to Disabled.

Quite frankly I don't understand how anybody could play with motion blur on. Its the most ridiculously exagerated blur effect ever.

Really? I love the first person motion blur.

Dennis

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Well, I don't have OA yet, but Low-High usually in ARMA 2.
Hmmm, I think there may have been something screwy with the blur effect on ARMA 2 for me. I just tested the blur effect on Very High in OA, and it looks quite nice.

I don't know whats going on....

Top Bottom