• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead |OT| Your browser can't handle its GIFs

panda21

the graphics settings in the ARMA 2 demo acted really crazy for me the first time i tried it. after i quit/restarted and tried again it worked fine. but it seemed the settings weren't sticking or something and it just kept randomly changing stuff the first time i ran it..

i still don't quite understand the multiplayer in this or what people actually do in it, I don't like the idea of joining some hardcore game that people are really serious about as a complete newbie and getting shouted at while i throw flashbangs at myself.

is it fairly anonymous? or do you have to get together with people (who? how?) to start a mission together and they will be pissed if i drop out? because I don't like playing with people where they care too much about how well i'm doing or if i drop out (COD is fine, things like SOCOM i hate)

the idea of just having a never ending sandbox attacking the AI that you could just jump in and out of sounds fun though, is that more what its like?

and is it fun to just put together SP scenarios just sticking in a few AI in the editor and fighting them? thats mainly how I like to play Lockon/DCS.

oh and was the A-10 in Arma 2 OG? I think it was but I forget.

Flambe

Performance tweaks (or guesses, as with most PC crap your mileage may vary heh.

From http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101124

In Game:
Set Audio Sampling rate to 16
Post Processing to Low or Disabled

Out of Game:
In your ArmA2OA.cfg file, set following
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=8;
Change HDRprecision from 8 (or whatever it is at) to 0.

Win7 users, find the arma2oa.exe in your steamapps\common folder and set it to Run as Administrator

In Steam, right-click Arma2:OA and go Properties then Set Launch Options in general tab

Dual-Core processor:
-nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

Quad-Core processor:
-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

Hexacore processor:
-nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7

Dennis

Banned
Yasae said:
Say what now?
Oh, thats just me speculating we will get a another GTA game this console-cycle (will it never end *sigh*) - not GTA V, but a Vice City type spin-off.

As I looovee PC GTA IV, I really hope we get RDR + next GTA on the PC.

Flambe said:
Performance tweaks (or guesses, as with most PC crap your mileage may vary heh.

From http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101124

In Game:
Set Audio Sampling rate to 16
Post Processing to Low or Disabled

Out of Game:
In your ArmA2OA.cfg file, set following
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=8;
Change HDRprecision from 8 (or whatever it is at) to 0.

Win7 users, find the arma2oa.exe in your steamapps\common folder and set it to Run as Administrator

In Steam, right-click Arma2:OA and go Properties then Set Launch Options in general tab

Dual-Core processor:
-nosplash -cpucount=2 -exThreads=1

Quad-Core processor:
-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

Hexacore processor:
-nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7

You Sir/Ma'am are a god. LOCKED at 60 fps now

Could not find ArmA2OA.cfg in the folder but did the rest (i use win7) and it worked at once.

Flambe

electristan said:
Could not find ArmA2OA.cfg in the folder but did the rest (i use win7) and it worked at once.

Mine was in C:\Users\<User>\Documents\ArmA 2

Also for Win7, Everything search is a fantastic utility for searching files/etc on your computer, extremely fast and doesn't miss stuff like the Start button search

Thanks, found it with Everything.

But i take back the "everything is great statement", it works perfectly in the training missions but i still hover around 25 during the campaign.

i7 920 @ 2,8GHz
5870 1GB
8GB ram

Guess ill wait for the patches to come out :)

Dennis

Banned
I posted a 720p HD YouTube video of the Blue Mosque in Zargabad

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnd46kLUQQ

electristan said:
Thanks, found it with Everything.

But i take back the "everything is great statement", it works perfectly in the training missions but i still hover around 25 during the campaign.

i7 920 @ 2,8GHz
5870 1GB
8GB ram

Guess ill wait for the patches to come out :)

Hmmm, 25 fps with a 5870 and an i7, you say. At what resolution, how much SSAA and how much MSAA?

DennisK4 said:
I posted a 720p HD YouTube video of the Blue Mosque in Zargabad

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssnd46kLUQQ

Hmmm, 25 fps with a 5870 and an i7, you say. At what resolution, how much SSAA and how much MSAA?

Screen and texture resolution is set to 1920x1200. I'll have to check to be sure when i get back, but im quite positive that i have everything application defined in the ati control panel.

In game i have Post Prosessing and AA disabled. AF set to very high.

Im going to play around more with the settings when i get back from work, start on low and step up. Ill report how it goes, and tips woild be great as the first three missions were very good, even if the control was a bit laggy.

EDIT: also saw that a poster in the Operation Arrowhead performance optimizations/comparisons thread has fps and smoothness issues wit a I7 920 @ 3.8 and gtx 480's sli. hope they get it to the 1.07 level sooner rather than later.

Well, as you can see bellow there is something odd. these are screen shots during mission 2 going from the Very Low to Very High preset and there is no difference in fps.

thinking it might be a cpu issue as in the training levels i get 60 (wont go over, seems locked at 60), maybe its all the AI calculations.

Any help would be great, but either way its a great game :)

EDIT: Definitely seems to be AI/Script related, to many makes the game struggle. I downloaded son single-player maps and they work great, 45-60 all the time.

Looks like its patch waiting time :)

So the visuals are improved in this or about same as Arma 2? Just got Arma 2, have almost all settings up on very high and it's a pretty so so visual experience. Kinda expected more out of so many people saying how badly the game run. Large game no doubt and does have some nice texture work in parts, but overall it seems fairly mediocre.

i really like tank gameplay. is there tank gameplay in the multiplayer and if is it any good? how many gaffers play arma 2 online?

ArmA 2...

So I fired it up for the first time in about 10 months last week, thinking "Hey, it must have been updated and improved by now?". The last time I played it, I managed to bungled my way through to the 3rd mission, whereupon the vehicle textures just stopped loading, and wouldn't come back.

So anyways, I fire it up last week, and start the game on the air craft carrier. The Admiral finishes his speech and... my character can't walk straight. I change the key maps, no luck. I restart, no luck.

Sigh.

Haeleos

So I picked the ARMA 2 + OA pack up off of Steam since the next few months aren't that exciting for me with new releases. Is there anyone out there with a group who plays this co-op that would like to take a noob on? Let me know, my Steam name is Haeleos.

19Kilo

Haeleos said:
So I picked the ARMA 2 + OA pack up off of Steam since the next few months aren't that exciting for me with new releases. Is there anyone out there with a group who plays this co-op that would like to take a noob on? Let me know, my Steam name is Haeleos.

I'm not in any groups yet, but I plan to get into the group over at SimHQ. Check it out.

Dead Man

Okay, bought the combined pack on steam, my laptop can barely run it, and my backlog is enormous. Why do I do this to myself? :lol

Billen

Banned
Tried this in multiplayer with servers running the dominion mod yesterday. Is it just me, or do AI tend to warp around alot? Tried several servers aswell as with a friend only.

Anyhow, when it works as it should it is an amazing experience. Almost similar to the one in World War II Online in scope.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Billen said:
Tried this in multiplayer with servers running the dominion mod yesterday. Is it just me, or do AI tend to warp around alot? Tried several servers aswell as with a friend only.

Anyhow, when it works as it should it is an amazing experience. Almost similar to the one in World War II Online in scope.

Just lag, you were probably connected to a server outside your country.

Billen

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Just lag, you were probably connected to a server outside your country.

Never a problem with European servers, usually. Hardly ever reach above 30 for anything. This server I had around 20 or so.

Skenzin

Banned
Is this game dead online? Considering jumping in again. Bought Arma2 at launch and that was a buggy crappy mess of a product. Never actually paid to beta test a product before. Arrowhead seems like what Arma2 should have been.

Skenzin said:
Is this game dead online? Considering jumping in again. Bought Arma2 at launch and that was a buggy crappy mess of a product. Never actually paid to beta test a product before. Arrowhead seems like what Arma2 should have been.

Nope. The quality is in the groups.

ShackTac / CharlieFoxtrot / TacticalAssualt? / PCGamer (believe it or not)

dc89

Sorry for the big bump but I just downloaded the demo off steam and it's incredible. I was going to see if Op Flashpoint Red River was any good but I may just have to get this now!

Sethos

Banned
dc89 said:
Sorry for the big bump but I just downloaded the demo off steam and it's incredible. I was going to see if Op Flashpoint Red River was any good but I may just have to get this now!

You'll be even more impressed when you realise the demo is running off a very old patch build, the new(est) patches and even Beta patches has done a lot of work. Let us know if you need any mod suggestions :)

dc89

Purchased this on Steam just now! I was excited to see it's in the Steam Mind-week Madness sale.

ARMA II is £3.99 but I opted for Joint Operations which includes Op Arrowhead for around £17 down from £30.

Salazar

dc89 said:
Purchased this on Steam just now! I was excited to see it's in the Steam Mind-week Madness sale.

ARMA II is £3.99 but I opted for Joint Operations which includes Op Arrowhead for around £17 down from £30.

I've had a rumble through ArmA II, and am now downloading Arrowhead. These games are far too awesome.

Q: Has anybody used the Six Updater mod thing with a Steam version ?

Zenith

Banned
Take On Helicopters preview is available for Operation Arrowhead now as an addon but there doesn't seem to be much content.

demolitio

Zenith said:
Take On Helicopters preview is available for Operation Arrowhead now as an addon but there doesn't seem to be much content.
Yea, there's not much to do of course, but the flight physics for the chopper in the preview is amazing compared to ArmA 2's chopper handling. I'm definitely interested but I wish that it had interactive cockpits that you use the mouse with.

I've been glued to OA after getting it during the Steam sale and I'm so happy with the improvements over ArmA 2. I just wish the SP ran a little better regardless of settings.

Sethos

Banned
demolitio said:
Yea, there's not much to do of course, but the flight physics for the chopper in the preview is amazing compared to ArmA 2's chopper handling. I'm definitely interested but I wish that it had interactive cockpits that you use the mouse with.

I've been glued to OA after getting it during the Steam sale and I'm so happy with the improvements over ArmA 2. I just wish the SP ran a little better regardless of settings.

It does have interactive cockpit. Go into free look when in cockpit view, there's lights, engine starter and battery.

And no, the preview is not meant to be a demo, it's purely a light preview of the flight model, so of course it won't be content heavy.

demolitio

Sethos said:
It does have interactive cockpit. Go into free look when in cockpit view, there's lights, engine starter and battery.

And no, the preview is not meant to be a demo, it's purely a light preview of the flight model, so of course it won't be content heavy.

I'm talking like MS FSX level interactivity where you need to go through all the steps. If that's in the full game, I'll be happy. And I know it's supposed to be a preview and that's why I said "of course". I didn't expect anything more...

Sethos

Banned
demolitio said:
I'm talking like MS FSX level interactivity where you need to go through all the steps. If that's in the full game, I'll be happy. And I know it's supposed to be a preview and that's why I said "of course". I didn't expect anything more...

It won't have have that and the other part was a reply to Zenith.

demolitio

Sethos said:
It won't have have that and the other part was a reply to Zenith.
They did mention that they were going to have some military helicopters with the new physics too, correct? I think mission variety will be the key for me, but I can't even imagine how awesome it'd be trying to fly a Chinook with the new physics. :D

Sethos

Banned
demolitio said:
They did mention that they were going to have some military helicopters with the new physics too, correct? I think mission variety will be the key for me, but I can't even imagine how awesome it'd be trying to fly a Chinook with the new physics. :D

Only confirmed military helicopter so far is the Merlin HC3.

872084000.jpg

Zenith

Banned
Sethos said:

Don't be so defensive. It wasn't fun to play, end of. It's not like BIS don't make plenty of mistakes.

Only confirmed military helicopter so far is the Merlin HC3.

They also showed images of a Huey with forward facing miniguns.

Sethos

Banned
Zenith said:
Don't be so defensive. It wasn't fun to play, end of. It's not like BIS don't make plenty of mistakes.

They also showed images of a Huey with forward facing miniguns.

Not defensive, just stating it wasn't supposed to be a lololfun demo for the simple minded but a very limited preview of the flight model, nothing else.

Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
time to wake sleeping soldiers :)

4 games patched (A2, A2: Free, A2: OA, A2: RFT)
2 DLCs patched (A2: BAF, A2: PMC)

http://www.bistudio.com/english/hom...date-for-entire-arma-2-product-range-released

huge amount of improvements across all parts :)

Operation Arrowhead patched to 1.60
New features: FXAA Anti-Aliasing mode, user-definable memory allocators, new scripting commands, new commandline options
Multiplayer is much smoother, no more warping, includes a number of fixes, optimizations and improvements
Netcode, VON and dedicated server fixes plus configuration additions in place
Singleplayer received visual states smoothing and prediction (notable e.g. on distant units)
AI is improved, especially (but not only) in combat, AI has received numerous bug fixes
Aircraft & Helicopter simulation received slight improvements
ARMA 2, ARMA 2: OA, ARMA 2: EW campaigns and stand-alone missions received special treatment to get rid of most annoying bugs
Numerous other small bugs/glitches fixed

Arma 2 patched to 1.11
Numerous bug fixes, multiplayer code tweaks and mission fixes
ARMA 2, ARMA 2: OA, ARMA 2: EW campaigns and stand-alone missions received special treatment to get rid of the most annoying bugs

Arma 2:Free patched to 1.11
MP Code brought into line with Arma 2 for compatibility

BAF patched to 1.03 and PMC patched to 1.02
Several stability and game saves fixes as well as mission tweaks, also new BAF missions included.

discuss: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=129042

read readme/changelog
http://forums.bistudio.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81&d=1324571120

http://www.bistudio.com/happy-holidays/

Foffy

Banned
time to wake sleeping soldiers :)

4 games patched (A2, A2: Free, A2: OA, A2: RFT)
2 DLCs patched (A2: BAF, A2: PMC)

http://www.bistudio.com/english/hom...date-for-entire-arma-2-product-range-released

huge amount of improvements across all parts :)

discuss: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=129042

read readme/changelog
http://forums.bistudio.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81&d=1324571120

http://www.bistudio.com/happy-holidays/

Hey there. I have a question. I have the Steam bundle of every ArmA game to date. Does booting these games through steam enable the updates or is it done on it's own like other Steam games?

Sethos

Banned
And for the people that still play the game and use mods, J.S.R.S 1.4 is out on the 24th. He even managed to implement a proper distance script for the sound - This soundmod even shits all over 95% of retail productions.

Top Bottom