• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

What's the difficulty spike after GP4? I didn't have much trouble other than Hoops against Cobra Kid. I'm starting to wonder if this is a fighting game I'm actually...good at?

javac

Just got my copy and man I'm struggling so much compared to the testpunch where I was pretty decent, hopefully I improve with time. Playing in handheld mode. My FC: SW-2726-0019-7995

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I did not play the testpunch, but I just picked up the game. There was a Nintendo rep at my Best Buy and he gave me some ARMS sleeves, haha. Can't wait to play this tonight!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"I'm starting to see good Helix players. Literally impossible.

Helix, Ribbon Girl and Min Min are def S tier"

-Some guy on reddit

Anecdotally sounds right to me so far. Helix seems way tougher to use than the other two though. Min Min is keepaway world champion of the world, while ribbon girl is ridiculously versatile and seems like a good counter to her, soo.
I did not play the testpunch, but I just picked up the game. There was a Nintendo rep at my Best Buy and he gave me some ARMS sleeves, haha. Can't wait to play this tonight!
Nicooooga

I'm all in on this one buddy. Where do I get me some of those sleeves.

jts

...hate me...
ARMS getter definitely has more chances to get ARMS for the character you're using. I just use Twintelle and only have 8 arms left to get for her. More ARMS than any other character and some of them are really barren.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

-Some guy on reddit

Anecdotally sounds right to me so far. Helix seems way tougher to use than the other two though. Min Min is keepaway world champion of the world, while ribbon girl is ridiculously versatile and seems like a good counter to her, soo.

Nicooooga

You want mine? If you PM me your address, I'll give them to you. I don't want them, but the guy just pulled them out of his satchel because he saw me buying the game and was all, "Hey, want some sleeves?" I couldn't say no!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ARMS getter definitely has more chances to get ARMS for the character you're using. I just use Twintelle and only have 8 arms left to get for her. More ARMS than any other character and some of them are really barren.
Gore claims it's a 2x chance for the character you're using vs any other character
You want mine? If you PM me your address, I'll give them to you. I don't want them, but the guy just pulled them out of his satchel because he saw me buying the game and was all, "Hey, want some sleeves?" I couldn't say no!
Srsly? I'm PMing you haha. I owe you a favor if you're for real.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to beat GP Level 7 yesterday with Min Min and two Ice Dragons. Still took a while, and was a bit cheese-y, but I feel pretty good about it.

I was a little disappointed that the little drawing you get is the same as the other levels, I had hoped for a different one for beating it on hard.

Crazyorloco

I almost gave up on ARMS and last night the dopamine must have hit my brain harder because I started to really enjoy the game. I kept wanting to play more. I admit I do play on lower difficulty levels and that has increased my enjoyment. As I get better I just increase the difficulty a little.

Unison

1v1v1 matches need to lose the time limit or need to award the win to the player who does the most damage. They are a joke now.

Holy shit I hate playing against someone with dubble electricity arms.

If someone is using just electricity against you, it's probably best to be airborne most of the time so that they can't get a grab off of connecting a punch.

If you're having trouble against just Sparkies, maybe a heavy ARM will help?

-Some guy on reddit

Nicooooga

I can definitely say that as Helix, Min Min is the only character that I struggle with or that worries me when I'm playing ranked, since I get incredibly anxious if they get a dragon arm (specifically the ram ram dragon arm god damn XD). You can just ask random25. In fact on most maps that allow it since I know they'll either dodge backwards or to the side and charge up, I dash forward and grab to guarantee no dragon arm and stay up super close to their face so they're forced to jump or dash away and I can promptly punch or grab depending on what happens after, ususally they can never hit me and if all goes well it's a perfect. Min Min for sure I can't start with tower mode or I'll lose

By the way I'm online guys if you want to play and try going up against me. Eventually I'll become easier to manage the more you fight me. Otherwise how'll you prepare yourself against other good or better Helix players?

Nico_D

Holy shit I hate playing against someone with dubble electricity arms.

Amen brother. I just encountered a rank 3 Twintelle with two of those electric birds. She was kicking my ass until the last few seconds. I kinda cheated too after the first round she beat me: as a Ribbon Girl I took double poppers because hell with it. If she does it, I can do it too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I almost gave up on ARMS and last night the dopamine must have hit my brain harder because I started to really enjoy the game. I kept wanting to play more. I admit I do play on lower difficulty levels and that has increased my enjoyment. As I get better I just increase the difficulty a little.
That's actually a good way of summing up how I recommend improving. :D

Don't "graduate" from a GP difficulty when you beat it once by scraping by. Graduate when you can absolutely brutalize the AI on that difficulty.

I can definitely say that as Helix, Min Min is the only character that I struggle with or that worries me when I'm playing ranked, since I get incredibly anxious if they get a dragon arm (specifically the ram ram dragon arm god damn XD). You can just ask random25. In fact on most maps that allow it since I know they'll either dodge backwards or to the side and charge up, I dash forward and grab to guarantee no dragon arm and stay up super close to their face so they're forced to jump or dash away and I can promptly punch or grab depending on what happens after, ususally they can never hit me and if all goes well it's a perfect. Min Min for sure I can't start with tower mode or I'll lose

By the way I'm online guys if you want to play and try going up against me. Eventually I'll become easier to manage the more you fight me. Otherwise how'll you prepare yourself against other good or better Helix players?
sounds like a counter triangle then cause I don't think you've ever had trouble with a Ribbonista. i.e. Min Min > Helix > Ribbon Girl > Min Min

Obviously I don't actually mean "better than" in any of the above, just as potential counters.

heringer

Found a pretty reliable way to grind coins for the Arm Getter (on the ARMS subreddit)

- Enter 1P Versus and set up a game of V-Ball. Set the CPU to 6 or 7 (gives 3 coins per win).
- Set your player to Ribbon Girl with double Poppers/Crackers and your opponent to Helix (change his arms to Guardians in all 3 slots).
- Once the match starts, begin a double jump when you hear the tone before the ball drops in. Do a grab, and then immediately slam it into the other side of the court. The Poppers are so fast you can do it all before Helix has a chance to react.
- If Helix does get the ball, he'll kinda fumble around with it because of the shield arms.

Just tried that, I feel bad for Helix, haha.

Managed to get about 60 coins in 15 minutes. Not bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Headlok is one of the most satisfying arcade mode bosses to beat honestly
I was thinking this last night too. At first he seems impossible, then just laughably cheap and unfair, and then eventually... I mean I was straight up toying with him in GP4 last night. I'm sure he's still pure insanity on level 7 though. Very very satisfying personal improvement.

Glix

Like most fighting games...

I came in here and read a bunch of more advanced stuff, etc...

And now I'm thinking too much when I play and I'm noticeably worse lol.

Game is great. Online ranked is amazing, and hype and fun. When I lose I feel like I can point to why, which is great.

I love 1 V 100 mode as well and GP.

Can't wait for the continued content rollout, I'm going to be playing this online a wrong time.

Ducktail

Headlok is one of the most satisfying arcade mode bosses to beat honestly

This. First time I beat him was with a buddy, and I had just gotten the game. We got a ton of game overs and had a tense battle when we finally did it and It was just an amazing moment, the sort of feeling I hadn't experienced in a fighting game for quite some time (a decade or more).

I was thinking this last night too. At first he seems impossible, then just laughably cheap and unfair, and then eventually... I mean I was straight up toying with him in GP4 last night. I'm sure he's still pure insanity on level 7 though. Very very satisfying personal improvement.
That's how I feel now, my first time running through GP4 felt like hell, now he's relatively easy to read.

JambiBum

As B&B the only real character I have a problem with is Ribbon girl because of her jumps. Especially on some of the maps with elevation changes that make the difference even bigger. I can handle Helix well enough as long as my positioning is good.

Neoxon

Found a pretty reliable way to grind coins for the Arm Getter (on the ARMS subreddit)

- Enter 1P Versus and set up a game of V-Ball. Set the CPU to 6 or 7 (gives 3 coins per win).
- Set your player to Ribbon Girl with double Poppers/Crackers and your opponent to Helix (change his arms to Guardians in all 3 slots).
- Once the match starts, begin a double jump when you hear the tone before the ball drops in. Do a grab, and then immediately slam it into the other side of the court. The Poppers are so fast you can do it all before Helix has a chance to react.
- If Helix does get the ball, he'll kinda fumble around with it because of the shield arms.
This is just pure evil.

I'm already doing this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Like most fighting games...

I came in here and read a bunch of more advanced stuff, etc...

And now I'm thinking too much when I play and I'm noticeably worse lol.

Game is great. Online ranked is amazing, and hype and fun. When I lose I feel like I can point to why, which is great.

I love 1 V 100 mode as well and GP.

Can't wait for the continued content rollout, I'm going to be playing this online a wrong time.
You should play it a right time instead! ;)

Hehe. I gotta try 1v100, I keep forgetting about it.
That's how I feel now, my first time running through GP4 felt like hell, now he's relatively easy to read.
What's great is there are multiple cheap/easy ways to "solve" him, multiple Arms that are just effective against him in genereal, non-cheesy ways, he's super susceptible to well-timed wide grabs, and you can also just out-skill him in a slug-and-dodge fest if you're good enough. It's a lot less oppressive of a fight than it first appears.

Totakeke

Managing the camera tracking is still one of the weirdest things about this game. If a character moves faster than the camera can track even when you're doing nothing, there's nothing you can do to counterpunch a grab after they've moved. One example is high jumps off the cars on Twintelle's stage when you're next to it. Then when you start to punching and your tracking is partially locked by one of your extended arms, then it gets even trickier.

- Musings from playing Master Mummy

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I've now lost pretty much 6 times in a row against difficulty 4 Max Brass, for some reason everytime I get him low he just wrecks me completely.

Shahadan

I've now lost pretty much 6 times in a row against difficulty 4 Max Brass, for some reason everytime I get him low he just wrecks me completely.

Max just knows how to distract his opponents

tumblr_orm2h5nTbf1v2pzzno1_500.gif

Also his name is the best pun(s) in the game so far

Durden77

So I was posting about wide grabs a while back, but it's now my understanding that you actually CANNOT manually do wide grabs with standard controls, and the width of your grab is just determined by the Arms that you use.

Can anyone confrim this? If so that's 2 things motion controls have over standard controls.

Totakeke

This youtube series is fantastic.
Slide Punching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw9tGD-A3sI
Rush Guard Cancel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8PKL_KHxs

Didn't know slide punching existed even though I must have inadvertently done it a lot of times before.

So I was posting about wide grabs a while back, but it's now my understanding that you actually CANNOT manually do wide grabs woth standard controls, and the width of tour grab is just determined by the Arms that you use.

Can anyone confrim this? If so that's 2 things motion controls have over standard controls.

No it's not. A wide grab looks really wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZroYR9ysMM

Moondrop

Banned
Noticed a little wrinkle with Twintelle. Basically there's a small window after air dodging where you can hold it just long enough to activate "golden time," but instead of stalling you drop straight down, quickly activating a second aura.

So I was posting about wide grabs a while back, but it's now my understanding that you actually CANNOT manually do wide grabs with standard controls, and the width of your grab is just determined by the Arms that you use.

I can reproducibly perform wide grabs with my pro controller. But we're talking training mode and deliberately starting with my stick all the way to the left. Then again I'm getting old; perhaps it's easier for others.

Theswweet

I LOVE the bird arms. They're so fun to use, and it seems most folks aren't used to fighting people using them.

Just got a Yabuki Combo off a ribbon girl... so good!

mjc

Curious about picking this up, I'm not huge on fighting games and the test punch didn't instill much in me..how fun is it for pick up and play like MK8?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Didn't know slide punching existed even though I must have inadvertently done it a lot of times before.

No it's not. A wide grab looks really wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZroYR9ysMM
I'm beginning to cull together stuff for an advanced tips post and these videos are fantaaaaastic.

Stuff I want to include so far:

-Guard Cancel (Dash and Rush)
-Action cooldown refresh on punch contact/block
-Slide Punching
-The actual stats/factors impacted by "+" Arms
-The different types of Rush attacks with damage potentials
-Style of throw/nuances of each Arms type
-Stage/Map feature descriptions

I'm beginning to cull together stuff for an advanced tips post and these videos are fantaaaaastic.

Stuff I want to include so far:

-Guard Cancel (Dash and Rush)
-Action cooldown refresh on punch contact/block
-Slide Punching
-The actual stats/factors impacted by "+" Arms
-The different types of Rush attacks with damage potentials
-Style of throw/nuances of each Arms type
-Stage/Map feature descriptions

This stuff is awesome and really useful, thanks for taking the time to post/put it together :D

I bought Arms to play casually against CPU as I do with most fighting games but something about this game has clicked with me enough that I want to put in the time necessary to git gud so tips/tutorials like this make things way easier

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I bought Arms to play casually against CPU as I do with most fighting games but something about this game has clicked with me enough that I want to put in the time necessary to git gud
I feel exactly the same :D
so tips/tutorials like this make things way easier
and that's exactly why I try to compile stuff, just in case anyone out there is hungry for it but doesn't want to hunt and peck.

Top Bottom