• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deathstroke is too much, guy waltzes into Ollie's secret base, the one place he can be safe and proceeds to kick Team Arrow's collective asses, steals his shit, and then walks out like a boss.

Deathstroke is a Manu's Manu.

Deathstroke is too much, guy waltzes into Ollie's secret base, the one place he can be safe and proceeds to kick Team Arrow's collective asses, steals his shit, and then walks out like a boss.

Deathstroke is a Manu's Manu.
You left out the fact that he was verbally insulting them while kicking their asses.

Wiktor

As far as The Flash, Gotham & Constantine, yes, they only have pilots ordered I believe, but the Netflix shows are happening with full orders of 13 episodes each and I think it was (at least) 4 episodes for The Defenders mini-series.

I have faith in The Flash, not so sure about Gotham and I'm curiously optimistic about Constantine, even though all I know about it is from the Keanu movie some years back.
Gotham is going straight to series. No pilots.

I'm really liking the references to Flash already, Felicity being all jelly about Barry and Iris lulz

See DC/WB? That's how you do a shared universe. Get these guys to supervise the entire DC film division and stop fucking around.

Speaking of Felicity, loved all the Felicity moments in this episode "I never liked her, even before she became a supervillain" <3
That was funny, but I hope they pull it back a bit with these kind of comments from her. She seems to say that about everyone that Ollie gets close to, and it's starting to look petty. (Even though she's usually right.)

I want more Felicity and Sara friendship moments. And hopefully we can see her chilling with her Central City friends too. (Though only temporarily, I want her to stay on #TeamArrow.)

iVx5bOYpaOOW7.gif

The best part of this is that Sarah grabbed the salmon ladder bar to attack Slade with. Even the most powerful weapon in the Arrowcave was useless against UberManu.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Really liked this episode but it's kinda stupid that Olly has known this whole time that it's possible there's a cure and he's only just done something about it. Surely it should have been the first thing he did when he found out that the Mirakuru was back.

Slades arrow deflection is especially impressive given his lack of depth perception.

DieH@rd

Banned
Awesome episode!

Good introduction for two regulars from Flash. Vibe will be funny sidekick, Snow has someone who has died in the explosion [fuel for her becoming villain].

And it's still fucking bad IMO. I watched the post-Winter Soldier episode and 'not terrible' or 'mediocre' is the best I can put it.

They need to throw out basically all of the main cast other than Gregg, get an entirely new VFX team that can actually do decent work for that budget and new showrunners. I love me some Whedon - even when he's not day-to-day like most of Angel - but find very little redeemable elements in SHIELD.

Good thing it is your opinion cause I honestly think the show's been good the last 6/7 episode.

Tugatrix

Finally saw the episode:

First Detective Chesthair is the best detective ever...how can he not know that Oliver is the Arrow

Second father and son boned the same girl, what a cliche

Cure for Miraku? why haven't Oliver or Sarah say anything

Slade in cave Arrow kicking ass yeah, new catch frase "don't forget who taught you how to fight kid"

Wozzly must be crushed there was no incest between Thea and Tommy

Oh god even Barry refuse Felicity?

Laurel rehabilitating herself as a character, I like it

Using Roy was masterful

Laurel and Oliver moment need to be radioactive

Now Rochev also has mirakuru... now this will be interesting

BTW I really don't know what to think of this episode. Some parts of it were great, the fight scenes were awesome, Manu is based as usual, but other parts were just ugh. Some pretty heavy handed exposition, Isabel is another full on crazy with a weak motivation and they just pulled the cure out of their ass. They had access to the mirakuru for weeks (Roy) and could have synthezised it by now.

Mario007

BTW I really don't know what to think of this episode. Some parts of it were great, the fight scenes were awesome, Manu is based as usual, but other parts were just ugh. Some pretty heavy handed exposition, Isabel is another full on crazy with a weak motivation and they just pulled the cure out of their ass. They had access to the mirakuru for weeks (Roy) and could have synthezised it by now.

The cure coming out of nowhere is a bit a shit to be honest. I kinda hope Ollie doesn't use it on Slade (and that Slade dies because that would be the second big villain to somehow survive) and fights him instead. I mean we know he beat him once that was back on island when he wasn't even fully trained.

The island scenes this season are, in general, quite weak. The first season was great because it was basically two stories being told at the same time and they didn't need to use one to retcon the other. Hopefully they'll do better next year.

No he doesn't he just told he doesn't want to know anymore

Agree to disagree then. For me it just sounded full on Comissioner Gordon.

The cure coming out of nowhere is a bit a shit to be honest. I kinda hope Ollie doesn't use it on Slade (and that Slade dies because that would be the second big villain to somehow survive) and fights him instead. I mean we know he beat him once that was back on island when he wasn't even fully trained.

The island scenes this season are, in general, quite weak. The first season was great because it was basically two stories being told at the same time and they didn't need to use one to retcon the other. Hopefully they'll do better next year.

I don't want Slade to die, actually. Cure, redemption and/or Suicide Squad is the way to go imho. Either that or actually make something out of his death. Let Ollie kill him, this time for good, but make it full on revenge, so give him the option to cure him but let him kill Slade instead. Then deal with the emotional fallout in season 3.

And hopefully next season the retcons are not that obvious. They should know where they want to go with the show in advance, not figure it out as they go along.

Ithil

Some shoddy dialogue this episode, lots of very clumsy and frankly unneeded exposition.

I know it's the CW, not The Wire, but it's usually much better than this.

Some shoddy dialogue this episode, lots of very clumsy and frankly unneeded exposition.

I know it's the CW, not The Wire, but it's usually much better than this.

Yeah, I noticed the dialogue was pretty awful this episode. Normally it's okay, if a bit pulpy, but this episode was just... yeah.

Worth it for Chesthair's speech about the Arrow though.

Mario007

Agree to disagree then. For me it just sounded full on Comissioner Gordon.

I don't want Slade to die, actually. Cure, redemption and/or Suicide Squad is the way to go imho. Either that or actually make something out of his death. Let Ollie kill him, this time for good, but make it full on revenge, so give him the option to cure him but let him kill Slade instead. Then deal with the emotional fallout in season 3.

And hopefully next season the retcons are not that obvious. They should know where they want to go with the show in advance, not figure it out as they go along.

Well I just think with Malcom Merlyn's miraculous resurrection, having Slade live on would just make me think that any big bad in Arrow will somehow survive which defeats the point of the whole season's arc. I would like if there was a fallout from it, of course. Something similar to what happened in the finale of the last season, something to influence the future seasons.

Did you really see the episode? He knows exactly that it's Ollie, he just doesn't want to know and he never wants to find out.

Exactly. I read it as he knows, but never wants to confirm, as to keep his plausible deniability for situations just like the one he is currently in.

There were too many instances where Ollie revelaed too much (meeting in not so dim lighting; Arrow's contact being Ollie's "secretary" Felicity; Arrow's backup is Diggle who is Ollie's "Black Driver"; Sarah dating Ollie and revealed to be Canary; Ollie's Phone ringing when Lance called Arrow.... Ollie immediately turning around, guilty as fuck, claiming it to be his mom).
So he knows, he just doesn't want to know and ignores all evidence that reveals the truth.

Mario007

Yeah, I noticed the dialogue was pretty awful this episode. Normally it's okay, if a bit pulpy, but this episode was just... yeah.

Worth it for Chesthair's speech about the Arrow though.

Ripped straight out of TDKR. They usually are a bit more subtle with the Batman inspiration. I still liked it though.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yeah I don't think Slade is going to die. Ollie says he made the mistake of trying to kill Slade on the island instead of using the cure on him, and this whole season started off with the Tommy less killing thing.

Van Owen

Banned
Ollie looks too much like a pussy with all these powered up dudes running around. If Slade is cured and not killed he's still able to toe to toe with Ollie without completely just tossing him across rooms.

Ollie looks too much like a pussy with all these powered up dudes running around. If Slade is cured and not killed he's still able to toe to toe with Ollie without completely just tossing him across rooms.

In theory maybe. Though without the Mirakuru his age may play a factor in speed.

V_Arnold

What does a "pussy" look like in a show where even girls have "balls"? Sexism aside, Ollie is held back not only be the mirakuru but by his own guilt.

In Season 1, the biggest thing that was holding him back against Merlyn was that he did not have true conviction.
In Season 2, the biggest thing holding him back against Slade is his sense of guilt over everything that has happened. Guilt, regret, etc. He also cares about protecting Canary as well.

This is going to be a classic redemption act for Ollie. When he is focused, when he is ready, he will defeat Slade in an appropriate way, imho.

Wiktor

Olie needs to seriously boost his selection of trick arrows if he intends to go against superhumans regularly.

That said, he should have learned how to handle those people. I mean, sure...Slade is much stronger and more resitant than Oliver, but Sara is pretty much always fighting against men who are stronger and more resistand and she does fine just by having better skills. It should translate to Oliver vs superhumans too.

I agree with V_Arnold though. Oliver isn't capable of going all out against Slade. Not yet anyway. When he does, Slade will go down.

zero_suit

No, he doesn't. He just has a lot on his plate. Plus, I'm sure he has some other arrows in his arsenal.

Joni

The original script was awesome, or so I've heard.

Wasn't Guggenheim's original script actually kind of awesome? I heard it was and that it concentrared mostly out space corps instead of Earth.
Could be true, I was thinking of Berlanti who was one of the screenwriters and the producer. So the early script excuse being awesome doesn't hold up for him. he is the one that threw it away.

The problem is Slade was already a world class fighter before the Mirakuru, you add that and he's super strong AND fast AND has awesome reflexes.

Ollie could take Roy down I bet but you add all that and Slade is nigh on unstoppable with his armor - that's why instead of any clever tactics Team Arrow strategy appears to be brute force to try and overwhelm.

Effect

Wasn't Guggenheim's original script actually kind of awesome? I heard it was and that it concentrared mostly out space corps instead of Earth.

If true that's likely why Arrow has been so good. Saw what he originally had and then what the end result was after suits screwed it up. So this time around their hands off to such a degree he and his team are allowed to pull from the rest of the DC universe, even the Batman embargo is either gone or just lowered. Here's hoping Warner Bros has learned from Green Lantern and won't meddle where they shouldn't anymore. Going by Man of Steel and Arrow I like think to think they learned their lesson.

The Oa sections of Green Lantern were great. If the film was mostly that and perhaps other alien locations then it would have been an amazing film. The bulk of the Earth stuff hurt the film. Only the beginning was needed.

Not having Sinestro be the villain was a mistake, I think. Shame about Mark Strong because I liked him in the role but that particular version of the franchise is probably never coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom