• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I'm late to this story and don't have a cool gif to post, but, I just want to take a moment and give you some applause for using the term smoak stacks. Fucking almost fell out of my chair laughing man, 100% honest.

I died while writing it. I don't even know where Smoak Stacks came from but I knew I had to use it somehow.

I genuinely want Wozzly to write an episode for this show, and for the actors to film it. I will do direction and cinematography for free if CW allows this.

I don't think the world is ready for the Ollie/Moira/ADA Adam Donner ship just yet.

You're right. I'll leave that to Wozzly, that cunning linguist.

I don't chose the words, the words chose me.

Came here to let ArrowGAF know that the first season blu-ray is $16.99 on Amazon and found this glorious promo. Fuck, I haven't been this hyped for a series since BSG!

Cool thanks for that link! I just bought it now. Couldn't resist that awesome price.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I caught up. And now I'm pissy.

• Ollicity BS is BS. The writing room should stop checking the Tumblrs, they only lead to frustration and terribleness. Sexual tension is ok, feelings are not. One Laurel is already enough.
  • Thea is Merlyn's love baby. Seriously, what is this soapy mess?
  • The Count died. And with that, Arrow lost its biggest and most awesome villain yet. Yes, I'm also counting Malcolm Merlyn. Laurel, even.
  • Thea's sparring session. What are you doing Roy. Pls staph. Pls.

It was an enjoyable episode overall, but I can see the show going into some seriously cringy places if the writers keep listening to the shippers. Time to shoot Felicity in the gut and turn her into Oracle already.

I caught up. And now I'm pissy.

• Ollicity BS is BS. The writing room should stop checking the Tumblrs, they only lead to frustration and terribleness. Sexual tension is ok, feelings are not. One Laurel is already enough.
  • Thea is Merlyn's love baby. Seriously, what is this soapy mess?
  • The Count died. And with that, Arrow lost its biggest and most awesome villain yet. Yes, I'm also counting Malcolm Merlyn. Laurel, even.
  • Thea's sparring session. What are you doing Roy. Pls staph. Pls.

Anyway, I'm out. It was an enjoyable episode overall, but I can see the show going into some seriously cringy places if the writers keep listening to the shippers. Time to shoot Felicity in the gut and turn her into Oracle already.

This episode's Ollicity-ness was tolerable. Last week's random bout of jealousy wasn't.

I prefer Felicity to Laurel so, so much though. But they gotta earn that shit.

I'm still depressed The Count died.

mjc

I'm kinda glad the Count died. Vertigo served it purpose and his death obviously bothers Ollie. It was definitely an OH SHIT moment for me when Ollie plugged a handful of arrows into him.

Someone else linked that Amazon has the Blu Ray/DVD combo pack for $16.99, but Best Buy has it same price in stores as well if you don't want to wait.

I'm kinda glad the Count died. Vertigo served it purpose and his death obviously bothers Ollie. It was definitely an OH SHIT moment for me when Ollie plugged a handful of arrows into him.

I was really hoping the Count would go further into a spiral of insanity and lace his drugs with something like Scarecrow's fear toxin. Would make for a great, trippy episode if Oliver gets dosed by that.

Well, if they did introduce the Pit, then it'd be interesting to see someone dip the Count in it.

Not gonna happen though.

Ah yesh, DVD+BRD combos, why don't more people do this (yes I don't have a BRD player ... yet)
I am just annoyed that WB is going Ultraviolet only for the digital copies of things. They dropped iTunes files a while ago, and it bugs me. I have gotten so used to buying TV shows on iTunes or ripping my DVD collection to use on the TV. So much easier just pulling up random episodes that way, and I like now waiting for Blu/DVD releases to have them.

I still might grab the blu/dvd pack because the price is great, but still keeping an eye on an iTunes sale so I don't have to rip it later.

Sober

I am just annoyed that WB is going Ultraviolet only for the digital copies of things. They dropped iTunes files a while ago, and it bugs me. I have gotten so used to buying TV shows on iTunes or ripping my DVD collection to use on the TV. So much easier just pulling up random episodes that way, and I like now waiting for Blu/DVD releases to have them.

I still might grab the blu/dvd pack because the price is great, but still keeping an eye on an iTunes sale so I don't have to rip it later.
Oh yeah I just noticed it is WB, wished some of the other publishers did that too. Ultraviolet I haven't used but I heard it is a pile of shit. Do some of their shows make it onto iTunes, Netflix, etc.? Something like Person of Interest is under WB and apparently still aren't on Netflix.

Cwarrior

So after all the talk about arrow I gave it a shot what expected was smallville level of shitty rom com infuriating dumb drama and anti-climatic villains plot after another......I was wrong I feel ashamed to say this but am addicted now on episode 6 season 1 right now.

- it's like batman but with oliver queen not giving a shit taking this vigilantly thing serious killing when he needs to without flinching and there's plenty of sweet hand to hand action face offs and it's not afraid to make us of dlc villains & characters.

- all the characters are like able all of them and server there purpose so far there's no shity lana lane or Louis to ruin this.

I don't understand how this is good when it shouldn't be....while agent of shield is crap.

Oh yeah I just noticed it is WB, wished some of the other publishers did that too. Ultraviolet I haven't used but I heard it is a pile of shit. Do some of their shows make it onto iTunes, Netflix, etc.? Something like Person of Interest is under WB and apparently still aren't on Netflix.

All CW stuff is on iTunes to buy, as is most WB stuff. I know Person of Interest was a hold out for some time due to some rights BS or something, but is on iTunes now.
I usually check iTunes daily for whenever seasons go on sale and buy the currently airing seasons. Usually current seasons of shows are $50 for the entire season in HD, and they download the morning after they air. Wait a bit and check for random sales and you can get current seasons for $20-35 or so. Just paid $35 for the current season of Supernatural the other day.

Sure, it is a lil more expensive than the Blu will be when it does release, but I dont have to wait for it and having all episodes easily accessible to watch at any moment is a godsend. After starting to do this a couple of years ago and ripping my DVD collection of TV seasons, I have trouble going back. Only show I have all on Blu is Fringe, but I was already up to season 3 on blu with that so I just decided to finish it. All other TV shows I watch I had on DVD before, so those were easily ripped to my computer to play on Apple TV later.

I am tempted to just grab the DVD set of Arrow for $10 on Black Friday and rip it, but still waiting for a good sale on iTunes to get in HD and not go through the hassle of ripping and editing metadata.

So after all the talk about arrow I gave it a shot what expected was smallville level of shitty rom com infuriating dumb drama and anti-climatic villains plot after another......I was wrong I feel ashamed to say this but am addicted now on episode 6 season 1 right now.

- it's like batman but with oliver queen not giving a shit taking this vigilantly thing serious killing when he needs to without flinching and there's plenty of sweet hand to hand action face offs and it's not afraid to make us of dlc villains & characters.

- all the characters are like able all of them and server there purpose so far there's no shity lana lane or Louis to ruin this.

I don't understand this good when it should be....while agent of shield is crap.

It gets even better.

The show kinda shamelessly rips Nolan's Batman, but it's still good.

I would say there are a lot of elements of Nolan's Batman DNA in this, in terms of a more grounded world (not realistic, but grounded, somber). I loved the Nolanesque idea of all the heroes and villains being grounded individuals who have basically turned themselves into heroes and villains. The addition of superpowers is eh, but I hope they pull it off well.

Superior choreography to Nolan Batman.

Clevinger

The show's whole tone and look, the whole grounded no-superpowers take on a superhero and his villains (until they abandoned it this season), Laurel is basically Rachel Dawes, The Count is a wannabe Ledger Joker/Scarecrow hybrid, Malcolm was Begins R'as and his dumb water evaporation machine was a dumb earthquake machine in this, dialogue is lifted like "always be aware of your surroundings", Rochev is Miranda Tate right down to them having a personal connection and fucking and no doubt her having some big twist ulterior motive, Chesthair is Commissioner Gordon, the bodyguard confidant Diggle's moral preaching/the butler confidant Alfred's moral preaching, the copycat Arrow vigilantes/copycat Batman vigilantes, I'm positive even the workout scenes were heavily "inspired" from Bale's
hot
shirtless workouts in the movies.

I'm sure there's plenty more but the movies aren't that fresh in my mind.

The show's whole tone and look, the whole grounded no-superpowers take on a superhero and his villains (until they abandoned it this season), Laurel is basically Rachel Dawes, The Count is a wannabe Ledger Joker/Scarecrow hybrid, Malcolm was Begins R'as and his dumb water evaporation machine was a dumb earthquake machine in this, dialogue is lifted like "always be aware of your surroundings", Rochev is Miranda Tate right down to them having a personal connection and fucking and no doubt her having some big twist ulterior motive, Chesthair is Commissioner Gordon, the bodyguard confidant Diggle's moral preaching/the butler confidant Alfred's moral preaching, the copycat Arrow vigilantes/copycat Batman vigilantes, I'm positive even the workout scenes were heavily "inspired" from Bale's
hot
shirtless workouts in the movies.

I'm sure there's plenty more but the movies aren't that fresh in my mind.

I don't even mind. It's a more comic-booky and twisty take on the Dark Knight. I'm cool with that.

I prefer it to Nolan's flicks in some respects. Get the chances to really dig into Ollie's history and psychology, lots of cute girls, great choreography, and they're nailing it with Ollie's character development.

This is why I kinda hoped they wouldn't go into superpowers. They'll end up having to rely on those as a crutch. I like the grounded world of the first season.

Clevinger

I don't mind Arrow's inspirations, since it manages to actually surpass Nolan's Batmans in many ways.
I don't even mind. It's a more comic-booky and twisty take on the Dark Knight. I'm cool with that.

Yeah, I don't mind either, I was just pointing it out. In those first super-rough 13 or so episodes most of my enjoyment (outside of laughing at all the bad stuff) was how it was essentially Nolan Batman: The TV Show with Green Arrow paint thrown over it. After that, and especially this season so far, it's come into its own and it's mostly found its own voice.

Wiktor

Yeah, I don't mind either, I was just pointing it out. In those first super-rough 13 or so episodes most of my enjoyment (outside of laughing at all the bad stuff) was how it was essentially Nolan Batman: The TV Show with Green Arrow paint thrown over it. After that, and especially this season so far, it's come into its own and it's mostly found its own voice.

Yeah. Altough..there's no way the workout scenes were inspired by Batman Begins. That movie had no good workout scenes and they hardly showed his built. With Arrow you can bet this was pure CW.

Van Owen

Banned
The shot with Brother Blood opening the cabinet to reveal the mask last ep was straight out of Begins when Bruce does it with the Batman cowl.

And The Count with the handheld video camera was straight Joker from TDK.

Clevinger

Yeah. Altough..there's no way the workout scenes were inspired by Batman Begins. That movie had no good workout scenes and they hardly showed his built. With Arrow you can bet this was pure CW.

I dunno, man.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/dinatzv/2010/hv4e1ejpg.gif

eabd8e18b07d1fe4885561b7cdda6638.jpg

KblRHxy.jpg

I don't have a gif of the league of shadows training, but it's basically a sweaty giant shirtless Bale jumping around on some poles. It could be 100% CW like you said, but with how much the producers took from Begins I think they were inspired by this as well.

Wiktor

I dunno, man.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/dinatzv/2010/hv4e1ejpg.gif

eabd8e18b07d1fe4885561b7cdda6638.jpg

KblRHxy.jpg

I don't have a gif of the league of shadows training, but it's basically a sweaty giant shirtless Bale jumping around on some poles. It could be 100% CW like you said, but with how much the producers took from Begins I think they were inspired by this as well.

But Bale's physique not only isn't hugely impressive, but he also doesn't do anything impressive with it in the movie. There are just some extreme short cuts of him shirtless and doing nothing. I would say you're reaching here..badly.

But Bale's physique not only isn't hugely impressive, but he also doesn't do anything impressive with it in the movie. There are just some extreme short cuts of him shirtless and doing nothing. I would say you're reaching here..badly.

Bale's physique is very impressive there. He just didn't need to show it off.

It is more impressive when you realize that he looked like this a few months before filming Batman Begins:
VYX4aiA.jpg

Clevinger

But Bale's physique not only isn't hugely impressive

whut...

but he also doesn't do anything impressive with it in the movie. There are just some extreme short cuts of him shirtless and doing nothing.

He's training in both his big shirtless scenes. The league of shadows scene in particular shows off his body a bunch. The reason why it's so short compared to Arrow is because it's a movie and Arrow has 23 hourlong episodes.

Wait what? He's reaching because Bale's physique is different and they didn't have the same amount of time to devote to largely pointless workout scenes?

Joni

I don't care if it is CW mandated, but Arrow needs the shirtless workout scenes. He is human, he needs to train and it is not bad to show it.

Ripclawe

Banned
well damn, Moira will kick your ass any day of the week and twice on Sundays

Susanna Thompson

Date of Birth
27 January 1958, San Diego, California, USA

She is skilled in Aikido and stage combat.

Susanna received a Dramalogue Award for her role as Luisa in "A Shayna Maidel." She was also nominated for Best Actress by the San Diego Critics Circle for her role as Agnes in "Agnes of God."

Got the role of the "Borg Queen" on "Star Trek: Voyager" (1995) only because Alice Krige (who played the role in the movie Star Trek: First Contact (1996)) refused to reprise her role. For the final episode, Susanna Thompson was not available (because of shooting "Once and Again" (1999)) so Alice Krige played the Borg Queen in the final episode.

L1NETT

Fully caught up now, love the show. Not a fan of some of the sub plots (mainly Roy and Thea) but aside from that it bumps along at a nice pace and I always want to watch the next episode straight after.

Oh and the nice helping of good DC characters helps. Really like Deathstroke, and excited for his appearance in Starling. I hope his mask and costume looks a little more Arkham Origins, but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, one week :)

tumblr_mwlz6jY46O1r9pr34o5_r1_250.gif

tumblr_mwlz6jY46O1r9pr34o6_r1_250.gif

Wiktor

Wait what? He's reaching because Bale's physique is different and they didn't have the same amount of time to devote to largely pointless workout scenes?

I just don't see it. There were no real workout scenes in Batman Begins. They just showed he had muscles and used short cuts as excuses to show that. Arrow has genuine workout scenes, the way Rocky or martial arts movies have. I think that what those Arrow scenes were inspired by. If they were going after Begins they would limit the scenes to him looking at himself in the mirror, because that's what Bale did essentially. He never actually showed those muscles are for anything but a show. With Arrow they had to show that not only their actor look great (which is what every superhero movie since Blade was doing), but also that he could actually perform superheroic feats, which is something Nolan never bothered with and for a reason, because his Batman could barely move.

So yeah, IMO it's reaching...badly.Arrow obviously took a lot of thins from Begins, but workout scenes weren't one of them.

I just don't see it. There were no real workout scenes in Batman Begins. They just showed he had muscles and used short cuts as excuses to show that. Arrow has genuine workout scenes, the way Rocky or martial arts movies have. I think that what those Arrow scenes were inspired by. If they were going after Begins they would limit the scenes to him looking at himself in the mirror, because that's what Bale did essentially. He never actually showed those muscles are for anything but a show. With Arrow they had to show that not only their actor look great (which is what every superhero movie since Blade was doing), but also that he could actually perform superheroic feats, which is something Nolan never bothered with and for a reason, because his Batman could barely move.

So yeah, IMO it's reaching...badly.Arrow obviously took a lot of thins from Begins, but workout scenes weren't one of them.

It's not that deep. Bale wasn't ancient for Begins. If they wanted to show him being more athletic, they could have easily trained him for some montages. The difference between Arrow's style and Begins style in terms of "workouts" is that Arrow is a tv show that can afford to toss 20 seconds here and 10 seconds there to workout montages. They can have him sparring with Diggle on the bookends of a dialogue scene. They've got more time to work with throughout a season to do so. A movie doesn't have the same liberty.

There's also the fact that if Arrow gets called out for it being gratuitous you know Begins would have as well. And Nolan was going for a more seriously received product than what WB is going for with Arrow.

It's really not that big of a deal. Arrow doesn't need to be defended. It's a fun, fast paced live action comic. Nobody is expecting Emmy winning ideas or writing. Just laugh off the similarities to other plots and enjoy the parkour!

Tabby

So when will Ollie train Felicity shirtless?

I'd rather Sara train Felicity shirtless tbh.
I mean why not? Felicity already saw her topless.
Salicity > Olicity.

Unrelated but not really, does anyone know if Tommorow People is off this week too?
It's terrible but honestly I just want to watch something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom