• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Well, you could do what I do which is adjust the saturation and levels/exposure but I use photoshop so I'm not sure if GIMP lets you do that or to what extent.

I messed around with the contrast and levels, but which one do you think looks better? I'm not satisfied with either.

1st is edited 2nd is not

3mxJHUF.jpg

Agh, you have no idea how much I struggled with that decision. I was afraid putting a decay effect would make it seem like I was overly relying on filters to prop it up. Next time, I'll have to go with my first instinct.

Its hard to get a great effect of vinatge that doesnt look meh. If you can accomplish it (a little tear on the page, some minor page bending here and there... I think it would look lovely.

Keihart

I got a my first digital tablet 2 weeks ago, and i'm triying to learn digital art to help some friends on a game project. So this is my first attempt at it, i did it on Mischief, great program.

Should i learn how to paint on photoshop? it seems like i should...
mischieffirsttryawesomenesscolor_by_shounenhart-d96ng54.png

First NeoGART post. Some doodles from the last few months:

tumblr_nmrkqthkgi1qz6c60o1_500.png

tumblr_nmmbccufg01qz6c60o1_500.png

tumblr_ni30pu4x1d1qz6c60o1_500.png

tumblr_nh06d8lRHl1qz6c60o1_500.jpg

tumblr_navtaegjiK1qz6c60o7_500.jpg

tumblr_navtaegjiK1qz6c60o5_500.png

tumblr_mhi3y0HGA71qz6c60o2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_navtaegjiK1qz6c60o10_500.png

Wait a sec there...
You are frenden the guy who made those amazing pencil and ink brushes?!
Just bought them last week!
May I say they are fantatsic and the best I have ever tried, so thanks a BUNCH for creating them. Using them for the media art for our game, like collectible cards.

And also your drawings and sketches are fantastic.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Frenden! Big fan! Bought the MSP19U on your recommendation a few years ago and I really dig your presets, which I use very often.

Nice to see you around these parts and nice work!

Frenden

Banned
Crazy. That's awesome.

I've been on GAF for a bit (mostly sticking to Giant Bomb and Destiny threads). Figured I'd say hello!

Hey gang,

This is the latest design I worked on as a personal piece for prints and shirts. I will leave it just at that (since I don't want to break any rules on promotion).

Hope you like it! I have been getting lots of positive feedback on it.

ddddd.jpg

My portfolio site is right here: www.egregoredesign.com

Keihart

Hey gang,

This is the latest design I worked on as a personal piece for prints and shirts. I will leave it just at that (since I don't want to break any rules on promotion).

Hope you like it! I have been getting lots of positive feedback on it.

ddddd.jpg

I would wear that shirt!

That's me! I'm glad you dig 'em. I'd love to see the collectibles.

Will do, we are still working on the game, but I made so shitty tests to see if the hanna babera style art worked with the ink brushes, and it does. We want to give the cards some retro felling, so im still looking how to do that.
Also thinking of buying the other pack after the first one is working so well.
It was pehesse, thats also making a game on the gaf game dev thread, that recommended me your brushes.

Trickster

Hey guys, wondering if you could give me some beginner tips for getting started with drawing.

Basically I haven't drawn since I was little, but recently got the urge to try drawing and maybe even become decent at it. So basically, what I'm wondering is if there's any good universal drawing tips for when you're just starting out? Like, should I just draw stickmen? should I try to copy works of others? Or sit and watch tutorials, and etc.

Basically, any tips you guys might have would be appreciated!

olympia

Hey guys, wondering if you could give me some beginner tips for getting started with drawing.

Basically I haven't drawn since I was little, but recently got the urge to try drawing and maybe even become decent at it. So basically, what I'm wondering is if there's any good universal drawing tips for when you're just starting out? Like, should I just draw stickmen? should I try to copy works of others? Or sit and watch tutorials, and etc.

the first piece of advice i'd like to give you is to just draw. any spare time you have should be spent drawing.

second, do a little bit of everything. draw what is in front of you. draw from photos/pictures/artist you want to copy, and draw from the imagination. if you frequently cycle between these three approaches you'll develop a a good pace. watch tutorials to discover new approaches. also, don't be afraid to post your stuff here :).

third, draw what you want. don't feel compelled to do art you don't want to do. take pride in what inspires you.

lastly, be patient with yourself. let yourself enjoy your drawing. if you keep it up, you will get to a place you'd like to be.

Trickster

the first piece of advice i'd like to give you is to just draw. any spare time you have should be spent drawing.

second, do a little bit of everything. draw what is in front of you. draw from photos/pictures/artist you want to copy, and draw from the imagination. if you frequently cycle between these three approaches you'll develop a a good pace. watch tutorials to discover new approaches. also, don't be afraid to post your stuff here :).

third, draw what you want. don't feel compelled to do art you don't want to do. take pride in what inspires you.

lastly, be patient with yourself. let yourself enjoy your drawing. if you keep it up, you will get to a place you'd like to be.

Alright thanks, will try to do these things as much as I can. Will definitely try to post something here. But don't want to flood the thread with random sketches of eyes, noses or other random small things :p

Have a look at this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1010752

Many people recommend starting with the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".

Thanks for the link, will give it a look :)

bigmac996

Echoing what olympia said, you really need to practice by actually DOING. But the only way you'll improve is if you challenge yourself.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to draw from life. Look up life drawing in your area and do that as often as you can. Even though you're drawing a nude figure, it helps things like your shorthand, line quality, shape design, anatomy, lighting, everything. Poses longer than 10 or 15 minutes aren't as helpful.

Draw people outside, go cafe sketching, ride the subway and do it. Go to the zoo, draw animals. Draw cars, buildings anything.

That's my advice!

Here's a piece I finished about a week ago of Chun-Li. Had a lot of fun painting her up:

Loving the thread guys.

I think after I'm done with this current picture I'm going to ease off using ballpoint pen. It's really easy to press just a tad bit harder than you intend and then you get a dark spot in a space that's supposed to be light. It just throws the whole thing off and since it's ink you can't erase it.

Edit: Gosh damn at that Chun-Li painting. That shit is ace!

Keihart

I think after I'm done with this current picture I'm going to ease off using ballpoint pen. It's really easy to press just a tad bit harder than you intend and then you get a dark spot in a space that's supposed to be light. It just throws the whole thing off and since it's ink you can't erase it.

Edit: Gosh damn at that Chun-Li painting. That shit is ace!

Have you ever used nibs and ink? Now that's some finnicky stuff, i love the G one tho.

I'm having such a hard time sketching digitally, can't get half as confortable as with paper...sigh, i even jumped straigh to a Cintiq to make it easier, i guess i just gotta keep practicing, kinda frustating that it feels like learning all over again.

Have you ever used nibs and ink? Now that's some finnicky stuff, i love the G one tho.

I'm having such a hard time sketching digitally, can't get half as confortable as with paper...sigh, i even jumped straigh to a Cintiq to make it easier, i guess i just gotta keep practicing, kinda frustating that it feels like learning all over again.

I don't even know what a nib is.

As much as I like all the awesome work everyone is making here (srsly some impressive work), where's all the abstract, conceptual, or other type of art?

Just wondering :)

Keihart

Übermatik;178941470 said:
Just finished this digital piece that I've been working on for what seems like forever now. Liquid Affinity:

liquid_affinity__by_ubermatik-d99phs4.png

really cool, looks kinda like a kaleidoscope image.

Epcott

Echoing what olympia said, you really need to practice by actually DOING. But the only way you'll improve is if you challenge yourself.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to draw from life. Look up life drawing in your area and do that as often as you can. Even though you're drawing a nude figure, it helps things like your shorthand, line quality, shape design, anatomy, lighting, everything. Poses longer than 10 or 15 minutes aren't as helpful.

Draw people outside, go cafe sketching, ride the subway and do it. Go to the zoo, draw animals. Draw cars, buildings anything.

That's my advice!

Here's a piece I finished about a week ago of Chun-Li. Had a lot of fun painting her up:

Loving the thread guys.

Absolutely love your Chun-Li piece. Do you have a website or FB page?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Doing some Dragon Ball themed stuff because of ... reasons, but heres some of my first sketches

tumblr_nuqjv3eUup1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nv1to3cESP1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

Does anyone know how to get rid of those dark dirty spots in drawings? I don't really see them in person, but once they're scanned it is extremely obvious and throws off the picture. I look at a lot of other artists traditional work and their pics look squeaky clean.

How do I clean mine? I tried using eraser in GIMP, but that just makes a stark white mark on the paper and there's no way to apply it to whole thing without touching some of the drawing as far as I know.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Has anyone here had experience with calibrating the color on a cintiq?

My primary monitor is displaying a bigger color range. Most of what I work on is not matching the view of any of my other devices. I found one tutorial, but it is using AMD's driver system. I have an nvidia graphics card.

Does anyone know how to get rid of those dark dirty spots in drawings? I don't really see them in person, but once they're scanned it is extremely obvious and throws off the picture. I look at a lot of other artists traditional work and their pics look squeaky clean.

How do I clean mine? I tried using eraser in GIMP, but that just makes a stark white mark on the paper and there's no way to apply it to whole thing without touching some of the drawing as far as I know.

Try using the colour picker thing on a spot close to the marks then go over it.

Raging Spaniard

Have you tried cleaning your scanner surface? Its a more common problem than you might think

For the new page because damnit:

Doing some Dragon Ball themed stuff because of ... reasons, but heres some of my first sketches

Try using the colour picker thing on a spot close to the marks then go over it.
Go over it with what?

Have you tried cleaning your scanner surface? Its a more common problem than you might think

For the new page because damnit:

That could be it, but unfortunately the scanner i used wasn't my own, so I can't go back to it and do that. Those are some decent DBZ sketches.

Top Bottom