• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

galvatron

Nice to know that I'm not the only one hooked on this one. I've already had some good games against some other people in the thread, but please add me to the list in the OP.

galvatron | doc wily

EDIT:
Yeef said:
Killing monsters isn't really the best way to get points. Constructs seem to be the best method for scoring, with a lot of them having a 1:1 ratio of points to cost. Some of the lifebound cards also let you get points just by playing them, which can add up pretty quickly. I recall the Yggdrasil Staff being particularly good at getting points quickly.

I usually to try kill the Avatar of the Fallen, but yeah, he's only good for one awesome turn. My highest scoring games involve not watering down my hands with low powered cards and getting constructs play into that perfectly. I look at the cards that draw another card after they are played as mini constructs that fire every x turns when considering their worth.

I got rolled by some guy who seemed really selective about picking up any card from the center, but when I would take a card it would inevitably reveal something great that he could take for his deck. Now, I'm toying around with considering the opportunity cost of picking up a central card seeing as you never know what you're setting up your opponent to do to you next turn. Again, constructs, later in the game, seem like a great option for scoring points. Early on, though, constructs can make you really slow to get out of the gates since they don't often help you acquire more cards.

Anyone else have thoughts on strategy?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Glad to hear the servers are back up. I was in the middle of a 4=person game yesterday while at work and couldn't attend to it as frequently as I'd have liked to. Then the servers crashed! I wonder if games that were in progress are screwed.

Say, speaking of screwed, is there any way to delete an offline game that is in-progress? Was 15 turns into a 2-bar difficulty game when it crashed and now won't load past the loading screen.

Chorazin

Horseticuffs said:
Glad to hear the servers are back up. I was in the middle of a 4=person game yesterday while at work and couldn't attend to it as frequently as I'd have liked to. Then the servers crashed! I wonder if games that were in progress are screwed.

Say, speaking of screwed, is there any way to delete an offline game that is in-progress? Was 15 turns into a 2-bar difficulty game when it crashed and now won't load past the loading screen.

All my online games in progress were just as they were before the servers went down, yours should be fine too.

That's weird, I joined a 4 player game with 90 possible points, and yet two of the players aren't playing, so its only a 2 player game.

Also, I am available for games and prepared to lose.

GC: jessecuster3

Darb

Neo Member
I wish this game had a chat function. There's been a few times I'd like to cry for mercy congratulate folks.

Chorazin

Darb said:
I wish this game had a chat function. There's been a few times I'd like to cry for mercy congratulate folks.

That's pretty much my only problem with the game as it stands. Hopefully it'll be added in an update.

Berksy

Tried Lite version ten minutes ago, then bought it.

Berksy = BERKADAM [GC]

Invite me, bare my noobness.

Kosh

A chat function would be nice. Also, some type of ratings system to track yourself with, something like ELO in Carcassone.

Phreaker

Darb said:

Yes, I've yearned to say...something during a match or after one ended.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kosh said:
A chat function would be nice. Also, some type of ratings system to track yourself with, something like ELO in Carcassone.
yes this pls. fwiw i do know the devs are reading BGG so may be worth posting some of these ideas there. ELO would be huge. even though i hardly care about it that much in carc, it still gives a really nice sense of persistence and stakes

Darb

Neo Member
Phreaker said:
Yes, I've yearned to say...something during a match or after one ended.

Perhaps a kind word following your stomping of me? :) I think you beat me by 30 pts. one game.

pulga

Banned
galvatron said:
Nice to know that I'm not the only one hooked on this one. I've already had some good games against some other people in the thread, but please add me to the list in the OP.

galvatron | doc wily

EDIT:

I usually to try kill the Avatar of the Fallen, but yeah, he's only good for one awesome turn. My highest scoring games involve not watering down my hands with low powered cards and getting constructs play into that perfectly. I look at the cards that draw another card after they are played as mini constructs that fire every x turns when considering their worth.

I got rolled by some guy who seemed really selective about picking up any card from the center, but when I would take a card it would inevitably reveal something great that he could take for his deck. Now, I'm toying around with considering the opportunity cost of picking up a central card seeing as you never know what you're setting up your opponent to do to you next turn. Again, constructs, later in the game, seem like a great option for scoring points. Early on, though, constructs can make you really slow to get out of the gates since they don't often help you acquire more cards.

Anyone else have thoughts on strategy?

Dude you totally slaughtered me last time we played. You had this crazy combo going on, I swear you played like 30 cards in one turn.

Berksy

Servers are failing at the moment. Set up some games with you guys, seems like we got time zone issues.

Some achievements and score keeping via Game Center would be nice.

And do the game have an easy way to keep track of your deck honor? They should put in a honor meter which combines both in-game and deck honor points.

Also can someone tell me the library-graveyard mechanics?

Would love to see them upgrade the servers - not getting notifications of new game invites etc. Love the game though, beautiful and fun to play!

Phreaker

Kaidfather said:
Would love to see them upgrade the servers - not getting notifications of new game invites etc. Love the game though, beautiful and fun to play!

It's odd. I get the notifications (with sound), and badges on my iPad but not on my iPhone when it is installed on both. I deleted it from my iPad to test it and then I started getting badges, but no notification on my iPhone.

red13th

I downloaded the free version it's pretty fun. It's very different from Magic the Gathering because you build your deck as you play and stuff lasts for only 1 round (other than the "construct" type cards). I'd get the full version if I had a prepaid card with me.

I finally took the time to play through the tutorial and learn the game today and I think I'm hooked. I played 4 or 5 rounds against the AI to get my bearings and then hopped online for a game. I think something messed up though, because my two opponents didn't take any turns - I just played over and over again until we ran out of Honor.

Anyway - I'm ready to play some gaffers!

Berksy

JLateralus said:
I finally took the time to play through the tutorial and learn the game today and I think I'm hooked. I played 4 or 5 rounds against the AI to get my bearings and then hopped online for a game. I think something messed up though, because my two opponents didn't take any turns - I just played over and over again until we ran out of Honor.

Anyway - I'm ready to play some gaffers!

If your opponent's name is written in red at your games list, this means he forfeited the game. You can still continue the match in a somewhat solitaire mode.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Yeah, I get absolutely no notifications on my Ipod either. I don't think they anticipated this being as popular as it might be, because the servers have gone down now twice that I know of.

I'd love for their to be a Gaf Tournament, hopefully it will become a regular thing so I can participate once I get Wifi at the house.

Also, thanks to the person who invited me to a game. I had to refuse due to being at work on Friday and not having Wifi access at home as I didn't want to hold up your game while I waited all weekend to take my turn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Horseticuffs said:
Yeah, I get absolutely no notifications on my Ipod either. I don't think they anticipated this being as popular as it might be, because the servers have gone down now twice that I know of.

I'd love for their to be a Gaf Tournament, hopefully it will become a regular thing so I can participate once I get Wifi at the house.

Also, thanks to the person who invited me to a game. I had to refuse due to being at work on Friday and not having Wifi access at home as I didn't want to hold up your game while I waited all weekend to take my turn.
you should accept anyway -- that's how asynchronous gaming works! :p some games go fast, some go slow.

i will say again though that this game really makes you appreciate how will carcassonne handles multi and async

Ok that is crazy, I just beat someone 106 - 72. He only had 6 points during our game, but had collected 66 points from the cards in his deck. Is this some strategy I am unaware of?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
kryptikjoker said:
We should definitely get a tourney going. How many are interested? Should we do a 2-player single elimination bracket?
that would probably be fairest, but i also like the idea of doing a little 3P action

jessecuster said:
Ok that is crazy, I just beat someone 106 - 72. He only had 6 points during our game, but had collected 66 points from the cards in his deck. Is this some strategy I am unaware of?

I would say it is a viable strategy, although I don't know much about strategy. I have been playing around with different ideas though. Mostly just collecting one type of card (i.e. enchanted, void, mechana, or lifebound). It is hard to keep track though when you have 12 games going at once though :p

kryptikjoker said:
We should definitely get a tourney going. How many are interested? Should we do a 2-player single elimination bracket?

I'd be interested.

Kosh

I'm down for a tournament, 2p or 3p is fine by me.

jessecuster said:

It's a viable strategy, but you really need to pick up the mechana constructs that are worth a lot of points. There's one worth 8, I think it's the Hedron Cannon, one worth 7, and a couple worth 6 and 5 points.

I guess what I don't get about that strategy is that you seem to be throwing away any Powers that you get, I cannot get into that mindset.

Chorazin

jessecuster said:
I guess what I don't get about that strategy is that you seem to be throwing away any Powers that you get, I cannot get into that mindset.

I'm not sure what you mean by that...

jessecuster said:

Not necessarily true, the resources on the cards he grabbed may not have had runes and but rather power.

Awesome Animals said:
Not necessarily true, the resources on the cards he grabbed may not have had runes and but rather power.

He still is going to get powers show up, even if its just the 2 militia you get to start the game...

And this guy I played didn't even use those.

Phreaker

jessecuster said:
He still is going to get powers show up, even if its just the 2 militia you get to start the game...

I toss those "starter" cards as soon as I can. I try to pull cars that let me discard. They are not worth any stars (honor?) and I don't want to draw them if I have +2s in the deck I'd rather draw.

Chorazin

jessecuster said:

You can (and want to) get rid of your starting cards using cards that let you banish from your hand or discard. When they're gone you have a better change of drawing more useful stuff.

Kosh

Chorazin said:
You can (and want to) get rid of your starting cards using cards that let you vanish from your hand or discard. When they're gone you have a better change of drawing more useful stuff.

This. In Magic the Gathering they call it 'thinning your deck.' You're taking out weaker cards so that when you draw cards, you'll draw the better cards.

Phreaker said:
I toss those "starter" cards as soon as I can. I try to pull cars that let me discard. They are not worth any stars (honor?) and I don't want to draw them if I have +2s in the deck I'd rather draw.

Basically this. Snag Void Initiate and/or Arbiter of the Precipice ASAP to start banishing your starter cards.

eznark

Banned
I love the core game but man, there needs to be some sort of results tracking.

I'm in on the tourney by the way!

Ok that was weird, this guy just beat me, yet our scores were exactly the same!

66/36/30 for both of us, but they gave him the win.

Chorazin

jessecuster said:
Ok that was weird, this guy just beat me, yet our scores were exactly the same!

66/36/30 for both of us, but they gave him the win.

In the case of a tie, the person who went last will win.

chicken_ramen said:
I picked up the light version, and now I'm down $25. It's no Dominion, or even Thunderstone, but its a nice little deck builder.

Thank the sweet merciful gods it's not Thunderstone, I'd rather play Monopoly for 24 hours straight then every play another game of that shitlicious fuckfest of a game.

My apologies for thinking its not quite as good then? Something about the fact that Ascension has a single draw deck with a constant tableau of 6 purchasable cards. I like how streamlined that is, but I think you do lose something. I didn't realize I was going to elicit such a violent response. :p

Top Bottom