• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Immortal Heroes World Cup

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How to Play
1. Add everyone in your Group on GameCenter/Playdek

2. Challenge each person below you in your group to a separate match with the following setup:
-Storm of Souls + Immortal Heroes for decks
-14-Day Time Limit

3. Winner report results in the following format (ties, both report)
[Group Name] [Winner] [Score] - [Loser] [Score]

4. Have all your games started by Tuesday, July 5th. If someone has not invited you who should, or has not accepted your invite by midnight on Friday please post and I will remove them from your group. 14-day timer will take care of enforcing time restrictions after that.

Win is worth 3 points and tie is worth 1. Top 3 from each group will advance to the playoffs, where I have adopted a wacky format. The 3 seeds will play each other, while the top 8 also play. Then the lowest-ranked seed (based on score differential) to survive round 1 will have to play an extra game against the 3-seed champion. Don't worry yourself about it. Just try to make the top 3 :)

Group Arbiter
AstroLad
sladeums
Diesel Pioneer / superrobot
Heel/[Slade]
gavatron/docwily
soldat7

Group Burrower
blahness
Got the Shakes
Smiley90
Brakara
Li Kao
Squirrel_Killer

Group Combustion
RaySpencer
tm24
Z3R05UM / Gatekeeper
jessecuster3
bonesquad/justjeff
LugNut74

Group Druids
eznark
Octobot
Roodiculous
slacker
_LOLduke_/DukeSucks
Mercviper

Cool beans.

I have important questions!

- I'm at the top, so I challenge all 5 people below me yes?
- the main idea is that you should have 1 game vs everyone else in your group?
- and the most important question... What's combustion? Is it a card? How did you come up with the group names!?

Good job, it looks great.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool beans.

I have important questions!

- I'm at the top, so I challenge all 5 people below me yes?
- the main idea is that you should have 1 game vs everyone else in your group?
- and the most important question... What's combustion? Is it a card? How did you come up with the group names!?

Good job, it looks great.
Yes to all!

Combustion is Combustion Idol

AstroLad 71 - 64(?) superrobot (Diesel Pioneer)

I was hoping for an advantage by playing during my Monday morning breakfast while AstroLad was probably up until 1 am his time.
This didn't work :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, I was super afraid that game after you slayed those two giant monsters.

Group Arbiter: AstroLad 71 - superrobot 64

When that 6 Monster popped up during my turn I knew if you got it, the gap would be too much.
I just need to win 3 games now. *

* Not going to win any games

eznark

Banned
Group Druids:

Mecha Octobot 75 eznark 63

What the hell, did they get rid of all the monsters in these two decks?!

Slacker

Good practice game with Ray. Seems like you really need to figure out what you're focusing on with the expansions.

Edit: Not so good game on my part against Octobot. I don't think I managed to acquire a single soul gem. >__< Well done, sir.

Heel

Bought the expansion, have pending games with everyone but soldat7 who I sent a GameCenter friend request to.

Guess I should get some practice games in later.

Good practice game with Ray. Seems like you really need to figure out what you're focusing on with the expansions.

Edit: Not so good game on my part against Octobot. I don't think I managed to acquire a single soul gem. >__< Well done, sir.

Yup, but focusing on things is really hard to do when you dont get to decide what shows up in the middle. Its nice when it works, but it sucks when it doesnt, haha.

Im not super happy about having SoS in the mix too, I like just using new stuff! haha. Im always bummed when the middle is a bunch of old stuff ive seen before :p

GG Jesse

Well except for the outcome :p

So unfair!

jFNGDXD.jpg

Group combustion

Ray 64 - Jesse 65

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yup, but focusing on things is really hard to do when you dont get to decide what shows up in the middle. Its nice when it works, but it sucks when it doesnt, haha.

Im not super happy about having SoS in the mix too, I like just using new stuff! haha. Im always bummed when the middle is a bunch of old stuff ive seen before :p

The new stuff is fun, but it's just too dense if you don't dilute it a little.

The new stuff is fun, but it's just too dense if you don't dilute it a little.

Yeah, I'm sure it's better, it's just a personal thing. Haha. I bought a new thing I wanna see the new thing! Not this old stuff!

I'm horrible and always have been horrible at ascension anyway, so it doesn't really matter. :p

Edit:
Yeah you had better cards available for most of the game, I got lucky.

If I had better cards I sure didnt know it. Haha. Maybe one day I will figure out actually how to win in ascension. Right now it all just feels like blind luck. :p

Obviously there's some luck involved (and IH has a tad more of this due to the randomness of the soul gems), but a better player will always have an edge (like in poker).

Yeah, I know this because I lose to people who know what they are doing all the time. But there is more than what I would consider 'some' luck, haha. Its just all in how you adapt to work with the 'luck' (the cards in the middle) you're given.

edit: and better players win in poker because of betting, they cant control the cards. BlackJack is a more apt comparison imo.

I would actually put it closest to Gin Rummy in that your "sets" are partly a good draw and partly a reaction to what is shown for the community effectively.

How do you tie in Ascension? Isn't the rules so that if both players have the same score, the person who went last wins?
Yes and yes, :p. I'll update the op tomorrow. Every win is worth a billion points.
Isn't that just so every game has a definite winner, and a game isn't like kissing your sister? Since we're going damned dirty Euro-style, maybe we should just let ties be ties. Seems kind of odd that a blowout loss and tie where you went first have the same weight (I mean a billion points!? I could understand 50 million points, but I think Astro's getting a little point happy there.)

Top Bottom