• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asia Nikkei: Populism fails to catch fire in Japan

ggx2ac

More at the link: https://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/20170824/Tea-Leaves/Populism-fails-to-catch-fire-in-Japan

Working in the Japanese media, it is hard to ignore the question on everyone's lips: "Why has anti-establishment populism spread around the world?" Equally puzzling for Western journalists, it seems, is the fact that Japan appears immune to this global trend.

Japan lacks large numbers of recent immigrants to blame something on, and unemployment numbers have a 23-year low of 2.8% recently.

Japan is unfavorable terrain for populists. For a start, it lacks one of the principal drivers of populism in Europe -- the presence of large numbers of recent immigrants. It is common these days to see people from other parts of Asia working in convenience stores saying, " Arigato gozaimashita" (Thank you very much), in accented Japanese. But there is little sense among Japan's aging population that immigrants are taking Japanese jobs; the unemployment rate hit a 23-year low of 2.8% in June. This contrasts sharply with many European countries, where globalization and mass immigration are seen as tearing the social fabric.

Those who struggle, blame themselves intensely. Also, society shames people on welfare.

For those struggling to get by, especially among the young for whom climbing the economic ladder seems like a pipe dream, the lack of an "other" to blame means they turn their frustrations inward, which partly explains Japan's high suicide rate. Low income is often attributed to a lack of personal effort, leading to criticism of people on welfare.

Mainstream media ignores populist politics, worker's unions effectively useless at supporting worker's rights.

Jeff Kingston, a professor at Temple University in Tokyo, also points to the "institutionalized interests in Japan that look suspiciously on populist politics." Kingston notes that mainstream media tend to ignore the stark realities facing millions of Japanese, while the Japanese Trade Union Confederation, or Rengo, has "become a tool of business rather than an effective voice for workers."

The one thing I don't like about Japan's Quality of Life is that it's almost too good.
/reference

British parliamentarian remarks, "My little recession can't be this cute."
/meme

Most importantly, Japan's failure to nurture a populist revolt reflects its quality of life, which is pretty decent for most people. Thanks to deflation, everyday goods are relatively cheap. The crime rate is low. Basic education is excellent. The streets are clean. The trains run on time. In a book on Japan, David Pilling, the Financial Times' former Tokyo bureau chief, quotes a visiting parliamentarian from northern England who looked at Tokyo's throbbing streets and said: "If this is a recession, I want one."

Wait, I thought those struggling had nobody to blame but themselves?

Younger people like me complain over drinks about the privileges that the older generation enjoyed -- a growing economy, lifetime employment, steady wage increases. In reality, though, such complaints are a conversation-starter that lacks substance. After a couple of glasses and a good night's sleep, it is back to work as usual the next day.

Looks like shit will still hit the fan anyway.

None of this means that Japan will stay quiet forever. Gross government debt is equivalent to a staggering 240% of gross domestic product. The country's potential economic growth rate is headed toward zero. And the Bank of Japan cannot buy stocks and government bonds to shore up the economy for eternity.

Cheats & Tips if you want to be the next political leader of Japan.

Even so, said Harukata Takenaka, a professor at Japan's National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, voters are more likely to respond to a "coolheaded leader" than to a Trump-style insurgent. "Someone who will say: 'You all know that this country is in a precarious state. That's why you don't spend. That's why you worry about the future. Let's think about the solutions together.'"

Even so, said Harukata Takenaka, a professor at Japan's National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, voters are more likely to respond to a "coolheaded leader" than to a Trump-style insurgent. "Someone who will say: 'You all know that this country is in a precarious state. That's why you don't spend. That's why you worry about the future. Let's think about the solutions together.'"

So why do so many people love Abe?

Stoop Man

Wasn't there a time in the 50's or 60's where a right-wing, pro-imperial crazy man straight up murdered a senator on stage, grabbed the mic, made an impassioned call for the people and military to rise up and restore Japan's former glory... only to be met with blank stares of disapproval?

ggx2ac

Wasn't there a time in the 50's or 60's where a right-wing, pro-imperial crazy man straight up murdered a senator on stage, grabbed the mic, made an impassioned call for the people and military to rise up and restore Japan's former glory... only to be met with blank stares of disapproval?

I don't remember the blank stares of disapproval but I do remember a thread on that assassination which had a video of the incident. I can't find the thread though.

I don't remember the blank stares of disapproval but I do remember a thread on that assassination which had a video of the incident. I can't find the thread though.

Not sure if it's the one being talked about but it wasn't the attempted coup involving actor Yukio Mishima was it? Blank stares and he ended up committing seppuku.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm not surprised. The education system here kills any kind of rebellious behavior or personal expression here from like age 9. In school life it's all about knowing your place/role and that then seems carries on into work life.

Also, Persona 5 is a lie!

Jeez, I shudder thinking about whats going to happen to this country in 20-30 years when the effects of the falling birth will really start to be felt...

Sakura

But....they do for the most part?
Especially compared to basically any other country in the world with public transportation.

For the most part, isn't really good enough when you need to get to school or work.
I used to take the train every day to school, and I don't believe there was ever a week where the train ran on time every day.
The train in the city I've had no problems with, it's JR that I experience most of it.

Somnid

They do blame their ills on non-Japanese, but the majority group doesn't feel like they are losing power because it's pretty damn hard to immigrate there naturally and cultural-wise it's fairly uniform.

Go_Ly_Dow

Jeez, I shudder thinking about whats going to happen to this country in 20-30 years when the effects of the falling birth will really start to be felt...

I just got back from a health clinic here like an hour ago. There were about 25 people in the waiting room and I was the only person under like age 40 (and foreigner) in that room. It did feel very strange haha.

My neighbor here also works in a hospital and was telling me how big the problem is starting to become.

A few years ago on NHK I did see a piece on how the government was running schemes to bring over immigrant nurses from developing economies across Asia, such as the Philippines. I don't think these immigration schemes are that common tho.

keuja

Of course populism is not a thing there. They barely have any immigrants relatively to their population.

kirblar

Of course populism is not a thing there. They barely have any immigrants relatively to their population.
Populism is a rural phenomenon that generally hates two things: City people and immigrants/minorities. Almost everyone there is a city person, and there are no immigrants or large minority populations!

Citizens of rural areas will be replaced by robots in around 10 years. It's time to adapt.

I would totally like to move out to a quaint little rural town where all the inhabitants are robots, live there for a few years, and then write an award-winning memoir about the experience which may or may not be adapted into a Hollywood film where everyone (robots included) is played by white people.

Cocaloch

Disturbing explanation attempt.

Uh why? Do you just reject any possible social/demographic connections to politics out of hand?

Populism is a rural phenomenon that generally hates two things: City people and immigrants/minorities. Almost everyone there is a city person, and there are no immigrants or large minority populations!

Well the current wave seems to be somewhat related to the city country divide, but I think that's somewhat of either an abnormality or a relatively new development. The Wilkite movement, one of the first and most influential serious populist movements, was more powerful in the cities than the country.

Your explanation could explain why Japan seems to be avoiding the current movement though. The immigration issue is certainly relevant. I'd be more inclined to place emphasis on the fact that Japan has a very different political culture from the West though.

Valhelm

contribute something
What this article fails to mention is that revanchist, revisionist nationalism is already the dominant paradigm of Japanese politics. The policies of the Liberal Democrats, from their history erasure to an illegal military buildup make Trump and the GOP look like mild-mannered liberals. The Japanese far right has little need for populist rhetoric because they have held a decades-long monopoly on Japanese politics almost without interruption. A Trump or Le Pen-style movement would be redundant. Clever political dealings with smaller parties (such as the Buddhist Komeito Party) ensure that LDP-dominated coalitions can stay in power even when the LDP itself loses popularity. So instead , fascist tendencies in Japan are manifest through suit-and-tie businessmen who politely honor their 20th-century genocidaires.

japanHOC.png

For its entire history, the Liberal Democrats have been the most powerful party in Japan. Connections with corporations, local politics, the US military, and even the Yakuza have allowed them to create well-oiled machines on the most local level, edging out rival candidates and creating hundreds of loyal bureacrats in each of the 47 prefectures. Thanks to this really impressive tradition of political control, the LDP has been able to brush off challenges to its power by telling voters that no-one else is as fit for the job.

It's reductive to say that Japanese people don't want populism. Instead, far-right control of Japanese politics is so advanced that there's no need for an angry and popular nationalism to emerge. The closest thing to a populist movement which exists in Japan would be centered around the rising Communist Party, which seems to be steadily consolidating power within the opposition bloc and even challenging local LDP dominance. Even though they're an exceptionally radical political organization, over a million people subscribe to their newspaper. Should Japanese life continue to decline and should resentment of the Liberal Democrats cotinue to build, expect a populist fury to come from the left, not the right.

Kaworu

What this article fails to mention is that revanchist, revisionist nationalism is already the dominant paradigm of Japanese politics. The policies of the Liberal Democrats, from their history erasure to an illegal military buildup make Trump and the GOP look like mild-mannered liberals. The Japanese far right has little need for populist rhetoric because they have held a decades-long monopoly on Japanese politics almost without interruption. A Trump or Le Pen-style movement would be redundant. Clever political dealings with smaller parties (such as the Buddhist Komeito Party) ensure that LDP-dominated coalitions can stay in power even when the LDP itself loses popularity. So instead , fascist tendencies in Japan are manifest through suit-and-tie businessmen who politely honor their 20th-century genocidaires.

japanHOC.png

For its entire history, the Liberal Democrats have been the most powerful party in Japan. Connections with corporations, local politics, the US military, and even the Yakuza have allowed them to create well-oiled machines on the most local level, edging out rival candidates and creating hundreds of loyal bureacrats in each of the 47 prefectures. Thanks to this really impressive tradition of political control, the LDP has been able to brush off challenges to its power by telling voters that no-one else is as fit for the job.

It's reductive to say that Japanese people don't want populism. Instead, far-right control of Japanese politics is so advanced that there's no need for an angry and popular nationalism to emerge. The closest thing to a populist movement which exists in Japan would be centered around the rising Communist Party, which seems to be steadily consolidating power within the opposition bloc and even challenging local LDP dominance. Even though they're an exceptionally radical political organization, over a million people subscribe to their newspaper. Should Japanese life continue to decline and should resentment of the Liberal Democrats cotinue to build, expect a populist fury to come from the left, not the right.

Thank you for your message. That's basically it, the LDP has been using far-right populist tactics for such a long time that there is no need for one populist revolt. In fact you can argue that Koizumi was already a figure similar to Le Pen, Trump, etc

Cocaloch

japanHOC.png

Far right and populism aren't the same thing at all as you seem to acknowledge in the last bit. In fact the well entrenched machine that you're describing is, if anything, more likely to provoke a populist response in other political cultures. Populism in the Western style is traditionally a reaction against a perceived corrupt elite to restore the true spirit of the nation. Part of the interesting issue with Japan here is that the people don't seem to have nearly as much of a problem with a political system that would be seen as totally corrupt by western standards.

I mean the very system you're describing sounds like that of Walpole's "Old Corruption", the system that British and American populism more or less came about to attack.

Populism doesn't seem to be a response to the left or right position of politics but instead to perceived flaws within the ruling class.

Populism is code word for racist uprising.

That's certainly one of the forms in which it can manifest and one of the pressures that can lead to it, but I don't think its meaningful to totally conflate the two.

kirblar

Well the current wave seems to be somewhat related to the city country divide, but I think that's somewhat of either an abnormality or a relatively new development. The Wilkite movement, one of the first and most influential serious populist movements, was more powerful in the cities than the country.

Your explanation could explain why Japan seems to be avoiding the current movement though. The immigration issue is certainly relevant.
It is very much not a new development here in the US.

Right Wing Populism is failing to take over Japan because the ideals of the Right Wing are already baked into Japan. A man like El Donaldo the Builder would be pissing in a sea of piss.

Cocaloch

It is very much not a new development here in the US.

For populism to be totally rural? It seems to me like it's traditionally been mostly urban, at least until the 20th century. I know less about things after that, but it seems like American populism was mostly dormant in the 20th century outside of the 30s and late 70s early 80s.

Populism mostly seems to come about from periods of a sustained crisis in the legitimacy of the government, America's government was remarkably stable after the war.

Somnid

Right Wing Populism is failing to take over Japan because the ideals of the Right Wing are already baked into Japan. A man like El Donaldo the Builder would be pissing in a sea of piss.

It's not just right-wing. Think of Bernie brand "fuck the corporate ruling class" populism. That's also not taking root.

Cocaloch

That's not at all the case. It's always been rural in the US- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism#United_States

The Revolutionary sentiment, clear populism in the vein of Pitt and the Wilkites, was strongest in the least rural part of the country. In fact it pretty clearly correlates very well with rates of town and city living on a state by state basis with the, admittedly major, exception of Virginia.

That's an odd article to link to since it doesn't actually say anything about populism being inherently rural. It just says the People's Party was.

Z..

But....they do for the most part?
Especially compared to basically any other country in the world with public transportation.

My frame of reference may be small, but judging from living in Portugal, the UK and other places around the EU for shorter intervals of time over the last 12 years... trains are literally ALWAYS on time everywhere. That's the whole point of them, no? Assuming we're talking metropolitan trains/subway, obviously.

Cocaloch

I'd argue it's more nationalist than populist because the "other" in this case is external instead of internal, but there's not much difference with the end result.

I'd say there's a large difference. Populist movements are by their nature reformist, even if they pretend to be merely going back to some previous golden age. They lead to instability and directly challenge the current ruling class. Right wing populism might lead to similar policy as establishment right wing governments, but it's a major difference in political context.

For the most part, isn't really good enough when you need to get to school or work.
I used to take the train every day to school, and I don't believe there was ever a week where the train ran on time every day.
The train in the city I've had no problems with, it's JR that I experience most of it.

No idea where you were located, but that's definitely not my experience in 10+ years living here and I have traveled to both work and school via train every day the entire time.

JR does tend to be delayed more than other lines, though that is just a result of them having a vast network where one train delay affects dozens of others connected systems.

I might get a 10-20 minute delay every couple of months. Maybe. I honestly can't remember the last time I was delayed longer than 2 minutes because of rush hour crowds or whatever.

My frame of reference may be small, but judging from living in Portugal, the UK and other places around the EU for shorter intervals of time over the last 12 years... trains are literally ALWAYS on time everywhere. That's the whole point of them, no? Assuming we're talking metropolitan trains/subway, obviously.

Outside of Japan, I only have limited experience in cities like Barcelona, New York, Boston, Germany (mostly Cologne), and San Francisco during business trips and such.
Barcelona was horrible and we never saw a single train arrive or depart at the recorded time with them being 30 minutes behind at times.
New York was about 50/50 crapshoot.
I can't really remember any issues in Boston, but that was a long time ago and during the summer!
BART in San Francisco has never been on time for me after about a dozen trips, although it was rarely more than 10 minutes over.

It's less populism and more politics as a whole that don't catch fire in Japan.

It's honestly the single most politically disinterested country I've ever been, couldn't find a single person under 50 that could name their diet representative. There's a reason it's basically a mono-party state.

kirblar

The Revolutionary sentiment, clear populism in the vein of Pitt and the Wilkites, was strongest in the least rural part of the country. In fact it pretty clearly correlates very well with rates of town and city living on a state by state basis with the, admittedly major, exception of Virginia.

That's an odd article to link to since it doesn't actually say anything about populism being inherently rural. It just says the People's Party was.
No, it just happens to list a lot of populist parties from US history that were based out of the South and or Midwest/Plains! :) (Roosevelt's being the exception.)

The original party that birthed the term: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Party_(United_States)
Built on a coalition of poor, white cotton farmers in the South (especially North Carolina, Alabama and Texas) and hard-pressed wheat farmers in the Plains states (especially Kansas and Nebraska), the Populists represented a radical crusading form of agrarianism and hostility to elites, cities, banks, railroads, and gold.

Top Bottom