• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian US college applicants not ID'ing selves as asian to improve admission chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

Reminds me of the Macleans article in Canada called "Too Asian" where they said that Asians were ruining university for white students by working so hard that they were raising standards and admissions averages too high. White mothers were quoted as saying that Asians were stealing university spots from white children. White students were quoted as saying they were avoiding schools like University of Toronto because it's too academic and had too many Asians, and that they wanted a school where that had better parties.

Acheron

Banned
Well you got affirmative action, it doesn't just have to hit white people. We don't have it in Canada and some how everything works out.

A friend's brother put that he was black and got a shit ton of scholarships.

I edited my post, got mixed up. The guy who applied to medical school applied as a Hispanic. Someone I went to high school with got into a pretty good university by checking the box for Native American.

That is pretty funny though. The schools obviously don't check the applicants. I bet this sort of stuff happens a lot.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I hope the bolded is a duty for asians dating non asians. Otherwise I'll have to start a splinter group.

Of course. I got your back brother. I hope our kids bone.

Zzoram

Well you got affirmative action, it doesn't just have to hit white people. We don't have it in Canada and some how everything works out.

In Canada universities generally don't consider your race for the majority of degrees and admissions are based on grades. However, descrimination occurs In later stages of their careers.

Apparently law firms like Asian articling students because they know they will work 100 hour weeks, and but Asian lawyers almost never make partner due to descrimination.

With Asians the descrimination isn't as obvious but it's there. It's harder to get into many university programs in the US and nearly impossible to break into management.

The bamboo ceiling is ironically justified by their hard working nature in the eyes of senior management. Management figures it's better to leave Asians in the grunt work positions since they'll work super hard even without real prospects for advancement. Silicon Valley tech sector workers are like 30%+ Asian but Asians make up around 1% of management.

NeoUltima

A white friend of mine with average stats applied to college as a Native American and got in.

Heh, I know someone that did the exact same thing.

I had a teacher in high school that encouraged kids to do this. Now, he didn't say to lie, but he said if you have a minority race in your lineage, put that down as your race.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Damnit America, lets at least please stop stealing more shit from Natives.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
None of those girls in the pictures look the least bit Asian. So they could have gotten away with it anyway.
Jasmine Zhuang, a Yale junior whose parents were both born in Taiwan.

She didn't check the box, even though her last name is a giveaway and her essay was about Asian-American identity.
YEDCZ.jpg

Dunno why they didn't include a shot of her for the article.

Big-E

Any race questions should go away. I took a Canadian border service exam where they asked if I was a visible minority. Out of the 250 people taking the test, I was one of 5 people who were not a visible minority. Such a stupid question to ask in a city where every single person is an immigrant.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
You seriously think a college is going to accept all Asians because of their high grades and leave out other ethnicities? Affirmative action, brah.

It would end up like my HS where we had to take a test to get in. All Jews, Asians, Indians - had 5 black people in my class of 700.

Not even affirmative action, schools want diversity for plenty if other reasons as well.

Al-ibn Kermit

I went to an 80% asian high school so I've known this happens a lot. I actually know an Egyptian guy who listed himself as African-American, this title makes it sound like manipulating the "race" box is a new thing.

Personally, I think the race box should be taken off the applications. There is correlation between race and socioeconomic background but it's not 100% at all. Parent's income and school district should be all that matters really as far as background info.

Of course then all colleges would be white/asian and that would piss people off I guess. Stupid.

tenchir

I knew this is what was happening when a surprising amount of my nephews and nieces didn't get into their top picked college even though they more than qualify for it acadamically.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I brought it up, but nobody seemed to comment on it.

Asians applying to schools having a hard time apparently?

What about Asians applying for jobs? I think I need to change my last name to Walker or Jones or Smith...

there's gotta be a way to help out people from underachieving groups without penalizing others who earned their marks fair and square. also, cutting down on nepotism would help, the article seems to hint at it as an even greater problem than lower performing blacks/hispanics/native americans getting in.

there's gotta be a way to help out people from underachieving groups without penalizing others who earned their marks fair and square. also, cutting down on nepotism would help, the article seems to hint at it as an even greater problem than lower performing blacks/hispanics/native americans getting in.

The shitty part is that there is literally no way to do this. Admission processes (schools/jobs, whathaveyou) are by definition a zero sum deal. If you help one person (allowing admission, hiring, etc) you are automatically hurting another, as their potential spot has been filled by the person you helped.

bumpkin

An easier honest solution; apply to UCLA. There's a reason people call it the "University of Caucasians Living Among Asians." :)

But honestly though, wouldn't lying about their race potentially get them disqualified in some way? An application is still something you fill out and sign, verifying that you answered honestly.

Zzoram

An easier honest solution; apply to UCLA. There's a reason people call it the "University of Caucasians Living Among Asians." :)

But honestly though, wouldn't lying about their race potentially get them disqualified in some way? An application is still something you fill out and sign, verifying that you answered honestly.

Choosing not to disclose race isn't the same as lying.

For the people who are lying, yes they could be disqualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom