• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian US college applicants not ID'ing selves as asian to improve admission chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I am in admissions and I don't care if you are black white green or yellow... you have the grades and you are in.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
An easier honest solution; apply to UCLA. There's a reason people call it the "University of Caucasians Living Among Asians." :)
Pretty much every UC campus has a large asian population. They call out Berkeley in the article as an example.

The shitty part is that there is literally no way to do this. Admission processes (schools/jobs, whathaveyou) are by definition a zero sum deal. If you help one person (allowing admission, hiring, etc) you are automatically hurting another, as their potential spot has been filled by the person you helped.

yeah, but these admission folks are deliberately penalizing Asian students in that they are blocking them or holding them to an unfairly high standard.

Zzoram

I am in admissions and I don't care if you are black white green or yellow... you have the grades and you are in.

Not every school is like that, which is the point. The OP article says that in schools where they do not consider race for admissions, there are 30-40% Asian student bodies, compared to like 10% for schools that do, which highlights the discrimination.

Kusagari

Not every school is like that, which is the point. The OP article says that in schools where they do not consider race for admissions, there are 30-40% Asian student bodies, compared to like 10% for schools that do, which highlights the discrimination.

Both examples in the article were California schools which are going to have more Asian applicants regardless.

Poyunch

Haha I love how accurate Filipino stereotypes are. Except I prefer to be punctual and I'm a nurse. Still the majority of the Filipinos I know are nurses.

TheBear

Do you guys seriously have forms that say:
[] Hispanic
[] Black
[] white
[] Asian etc.

If so, holy shit! What the fuck for?

I brought it up, but nobody seemed to comment on it.

Asians applying to schools having a hard time apparently?

What about Asians applying for jobs? I think I need to change my last name to Walker or Jones or Smith...

This is also definitely a problem.

I think my first name and last name being extremely long has caused employers to dismiss me as a potential worker.

Natetan

we have three people working in our brazil office

One has last name cheung, another Sekine. Hah. Then we've got jewish and asian people all over our other offices too.

Looks like the asian invasion continues into the work force too.

I'm applying to doctorate programs and all of them ask you to be as specific as possible about your ethnicity. Like this:

u7NW5.png

Here in Aus we sort of have race questions. On big state run exams in high school/ university entry forms they always asked "Are you aboriginal or Torres-strait islander?". They don't really care about races other than that, but I think they are trying to track the progress of native Australians, since there is a big gap in life expectancy etc.

I brought it up, but nobody seemed to comment on it.

Asians applying to schools having a hard time apparently?

What about Asians applying for jobs? I think I need to change my last name to Walker or Jones or Smith...

Do you really have trouble with that?
I've had a few places advertise for a Japanese speaker and then turn me away because they wanted someone Chinese (they told me outright). wtf. Racism, racism everywhere.

Zoe

Where the hell is the "mixed" box? There are so many different mixed people right now that are lacking a box to check.

Do you really think there are that many "mixed" people who would not be able to identify at least one of those boxes?

Jintor

Here in Aus we sort of have race questions. On big state run exams in high school/ university entry forms they always asked "Are you aboriginal or Torres-strait islander?". They don't really care about races other than that, but I think they are trying to track the progress of native Australians, since there is a big gap in life expectancy etc.

Do you really have trouble with that?
I've had a few places advertise for a Japanese speaker and then turn me away because they wanted someone Chinese (they told me outright). wtf. Racism, racism everywhere.

Hah, wow.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander comes up a lot in the law because there exists a limited legal recognition of customary law, and there are legislation-specific efforts in regards to the indigenous population relative to the rest of the population (basically what you said)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
As a non-asian minority, I still don't put down my ethnicity on forms. Always check "other" and leave it blank.

Bgamer90

Banned
Good number of examples in this thread of the effects of putting too much emphasis on race (which is in itself a non-biological concept).

Can't say that I'm surprised by what's stated in the OP.

Laekon

I think the article is missing the fact that some of those schools are looking for the perfect well rounded candidate. Very few of my over achieving Asian friends and co-workers had jobs in high school or did any type of activity beyond an academic club. This includes the ones with parents that had a small family busines. All they ever did was school work and have little ability to apply all their knowledge creativley. I work for a $1 billion Taiwanse company with 5 factories in China and run into this all the time. The brightest people they've hired can only do exactly what they are told to do. Giving them just a general idea of what needs to be done leads to problems 75% of the time.

The Mexican kid with a 3.8 GPA and a 2200 SAT is probably is probably a little more well rounded.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yup, still a nice dose of "It's still OK to shit on Asians."

Zzoram

I think the article is missing the fact that some of those schools are looking for the perfect well rounded candidate. Very few of my over achieving Asian friends and co-workers had jobs in high school or did any type of activity beyond an academic club. This includes the ones with parents that had a small family busines. All they ever did was school work and have little ability to apply all their knowledge creativley. I work for a $1 billion Taiwanse company with 5 factories in China and run into this all the time. The brightest people they've hired can only do exactly what they are told to do. Giving them just a general idea of what needs to be done leads to problems 75% of the time.

The Mexican kid with a 3.8 GPA and a 2200 SAT is probably is probably a little more well rounded.

Asian kids aren't all robots, plenty of them have tons of experience beyond grades like volunteer work and sports.

The problem is that Asian applicants need those things AND higher grades/test scores than every other race to get in to competitive schools/programs.

Affirmative action means that Black and Hispanic students get in with lower overall requirements because they're trying to hit a minimum enrollment. For Asian students it's the opposite, they just keep raising standards as high as they need to so that they don't pass a maximum number of Asian students. This leaves White students in the middle, with a guaranteed majority of spots with requirements set between the other racial groups.

It sucks for everyone involved because race becomes such a major determinant of enrollment, since your race determines what grades and other resume boosters you need to get in.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Well, let's all remember that the prupose of affirmative action in admissions is to address potential, and no past performance.

I really enjoyed your post. I share many of the sentiments you raised. I've been kind of bitter over the years about how our issues are pushed aside. It's like if anybody gives us crap, even if caught on TV. Just quickly apologize and they get a free pass because nobody gives a shit. I remember the radio station making a song that made fun of the Thai tsunami victims from some years ago. My memory is foggy but I don't think anybody lost there jobs and I don't remember it even making headline news. When that radio guy called the female BB players "nappy hoes", he got hit with a massive shit storm.

But enough about that stuff. I don't necessarily blame these half-Asians for doing what they did. Especially if it helps them get further ahead.

Erasus

Do you guys seriously have forms that say:
[] Hispanic
[] Black
[] white
[] Asian etc.

If so, holy shit! What the fuck for?

This is what I reacted on. WTF USA? In Sweden we apply by name so there might be discrimination there but none of these forms and shit

ChiTownBuffalo

I really enjoyed your post. I share many of the sentiments you raised. I've been kind of bitter over the years about how our issues are pushed aside. It's like if anybody gives us crap, even if caught on TV. Just quickly apologize and they get a free pass because nobody gives a shit. I remember the radio station making a song that made fun of the Thai tsunami victims from some years ago. My memory is foggy but I don't think anybody lost there jobs and I don't remember it even making headline news. When that radio guy called the female BB players "nappy hoes", he got hit with a massive shit storm.

But enough about that stuff. I don't necessarily blame these half-Asians for doing what they did. Especially if it helps them get further ahead.

Yeah, that was the Hot 97 controversy with Miss Jones and Miss Info.

Oh, Miss Info...

missinfo.jpg

I like her. (Man that photo is asking for a Brazzers logo)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
anyone else notice that almost all the students talked to are ivy league?

Quick search shows that roughly 15% of the non-international students at yale and harvard identify as asian. About 5% of the country is asian-american I believe.

About 18% of the enrolled students are international, with the bulk of the students coming from China and India, followed by South Korea, Canada, England, and Germany.

It's not that asians are getting discriminated against, it's that they're all trying to get into ivy league schools when they already are far overrepresented in these student populations, and even more disproportionately so in applications.

anyone else notice that almost all the students talked to are ivy league?

Quick search shows that roughly 15% of the non-international students at yale and harvard identify as asian. About 5% of the country is asian-american I believe.

About 18% of the enrolled students are international, with the bulk of the students coming from China and India, followed by South Korea, Canada, England, and Germany.

It's not that asians are getting discriminated against, it's that they're all trying to get into ivy league schools when they already are far overrepresented in these student populations, and even more disproportionately so in applications.

A truly merit-based admissions process would have no consideration of who is "over-represented" and "under-represented". If you meet the criteria, you are admitted. Period.

The fact that it's okay to deny admissions to Asians because they are "over-represented" relative to their percentage of the overall population is itself inherently racist and goes against everything people are supposed to believe about how college admissions processes work. Then again, Ivy League schools have never ever have merit-based admissions processes to begin with, so we're probably just tilting at windmills when people like George W. Bush can attend Yale just because he's from a particular family. Ivy League schools have always pretended to have a real admissions process when they've always reserved spots for sons and daughters of alumni, people from rich and powerful families, members of the Illuminati, etc.

I'm only half-joking about the Illuminati part. But the reality is that the Ivy League schools are part of the structure of this country through which people with power protect their power and nurture their successors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom