• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Amir0x

Banned
So this is a qualified yes.

I have 100% the same experience as you with the other games. I think our experience is common. The whole meta story with Juno is fucking offensively bad. The lack of intelligence with the general genetic memory concept is offensively bad. But when AC games are high camp, its lovely. That's what 2 + Brotherhood were - romps.

AC4 is a romp. It does the main stuff - action and running about, mission variety, upgrading - pretty much as well as 2 + Brotherhood. The setting hasn't been really fleshed out in a convincing way but its okay. The naval battles... are fun. Like, you just pick fights with fuckers and take what they own. Characters are fun. They don't rant. Templars and Assassins both are portrayed as rich white fools pontificating on the backs of slaves.. which is pretty refreshing.

Some things are bad. Brace yourself for meta-story stupidity that will now place the AC games in the universe of the AC games.. you'll see. Ubisoft also have NO idea how to run the companion app on iOS or the AC initiates website co-game stuff. The latter isn't even working yet. It's a mess. There's something called 'social treasure chests' that seem to be network-enabled - they don't explain how or why.

But AC4 is a romp. It is unqualified rompiness with a low bullshit factor. It lacks the artistry of 2, but it continues that fine tradition in a way that is unexpected. Don't come expecting complexity but its the best AC since Brotherhood, and if it had come straight after, the series would have not lost a beat.

I can say that having some idea of what your gaming taste is like after many years here, you will enjoy AC and feel it is worth it at full price. It is not unqualified. But it is a BLUE SKIES adventure with not-terrible story and fun characters.

Thank you, this is a wonderfully detailed post and shows a great depth of understanding both of myself and of the issues the series has had up until this point. Seriously, I cannot emphasize enough how this is an perfect, exemplary example of how the exchange of ideas on NeoGAF should strive to be. :D

Man, now I am really feeling confident I will not regret owning it when I get it on PS4. You are a good poster, bro.

I have 100% the same experience as you with the other games. I think our experience is common. The whole meta story with Juno is fucking offensively bad. The lack of intelligence with the general genetic memory concept is offensively bad. But when AC games are high camp, its lovely. That's what 2 + Brotherhood were - romps.

AC4 is a romp. It does the main stuff - action and running about, mission variety, upgrading - pretty much as well as 2 + Brotherhood. The setting hasn't been really fleshed out in a convincing way but its okay. The naval battles... are fun. Like, you just pick fights with fuckers and take what they own. Characters are fun. They don't rant. Templars and Assassins both are portrayed as rich white fools pontificating on the backs of slaves.. which is pretty refreshing.

Some things are bad. Brace yourself for meta-story stupidity that will now place the AC games in the universe of the AC games.. you'll see. Ubisoft also have NO idea how to run the companion app on iOS or the AC initiates website co-game stuff. The latter isn't even working yet. It's a mess. There's something called 'social treasure chests' that seem to be network-enabled - they don't explain how or why.

But AC4 is a romp. It is unqualified rompiness with a low bullshit factor. It lacks the artistry of 2, but it continues that fine tradition in a way that is unexpected. Don't come expecting complexity but its the best AC since Brotherhood, and if it had come straight after, the series would have not lost a beat.

I can say that having some idea of what your gaming taste is like after many years here, you will enjoy AC and feel it is worth it at full price. It is not unqualified. But it is a BLUE SKIES adventure with not-terrible story and fun characters.

What a great write-up. I have the same tastes and feeling towards the series and this was extremely descriptive and helpful.

Quick

Banned
I decision to pick it up. I'm terrible with stealth, it seems. I guess it's just the matter of getting used to the gameplay again. Anytime I finish an AC game, the controls and mechanics would already be wired into my head.

And am I one of just a few who actually enjoyed AC3? It was a ton of fun, and I liked Connor's story for the most part.

Fuck, why did I look in this thread. I loved 2 and Brotherhood, but after Revelations and 3 I swore off this series. Now I'm reading this shit...goddamnit now I'm gonna have to check out the PC version
LLShC.gif

Most of the complaints levied at AC3 have to do with Conner himself, not his story. I didn't mind the game and I quite liked building the little hamlet.

ironcreed

Banned
Fuck, why did I look in this thread. I loved 2 and Brotherhood, but after Revelations and 3 I swore off this series. Now I'm reading this shit...goddamnit now I'm gonna have to check out the PC version
LLShC.gif

Brotherhood was the absolute peak of the series for me, so here I am, flirting with getting it as well. I'm just not sure I'm ready for another AC. Talk about being conflicted, lol.

LLShC.gif
Same feelings, loved 2 and brotherhood but rev and 3 made me say I'd take a break. But since target is doing buy 2 get 1 free on ps4 games I might as well grab it for free.

Peff

Hm, I'm not sure I'd agree with that entirely, even if the game IS better than 3/Rev. I think the sticking point with this game is going to be whether or not you enjoy the setting, much like Red Dead Redemption. The atmosphere, even with obvious performance issues on current-gen platforms, is superbly realized. Like, seriously, if you were the kind of kid who used to cuddle in bed while reading Treasure Island or watch movies like Princess Bride or Captain Blood and let your imagination wonder, you'll be grinning like a madman when you finally get control of the Jackdaw, see a deserted island in the distance and sail to it while the crew is singing. The sea is lavishly recreated, the game is colourful, and going by the map there's plenty to see and explore. But unfortunately, therein also lies its biggest problem, and it's that at the end of the day it's still an Assassin's Creed game. So the main missions are still the same old bland "follow person, reach location" stuff, and the busywork/collectibles seem even more worthless than usual, not to mention the incredibly annoying decision of having a detailed breakdown of every single noteworthy thing in each location every time you get off the ship.

Admittedly I haven't played that much, and I'm curious about this game's version of the Assassin's Tombs, which have definitely been a highlight of the series since they were introduced, but I feel it's somewhat safe to say that your enjoyment of the game depends on how much you like the setting.

Peff

How are the menus, inventory, map and such? Is it as much of a clusterfuck as III, or have they cleaned that up?

More like 2. Upgrade menus have everything bunched together, but you have a few filters to make them easier to navigate.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm having a pretty hard time NOT getting this for PS3. I've been watching some livestreams [only for a couple of minutes at a time, to get a feel for the game] and it looks surprisingly good.

Only 27 more days... *sigh*

Albo

Thank you, this is a wonderfully detailed post and shows a great depth of understanding both of myself and of the issues the series has had up until this point. Seriously, I cannot emphasize enough how this is an perfect, exemplary example of how the exchange of ideas on NeoGAF should strive to be. :D

Man, now I am really feeling confident I will not regret owning it when I get it on PS4. You are a good poster, bro.

LLShC.gif

tumblr_mbhkbxr0Zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

I'm one of the few actually interested in the story having played all the previous games, so was just about to spoil AC4's on wikipedia/youtube as I wasn't planning to buy the game, but then I read this. Though it'll be a while before I get my hands on the PS4 version, if at all...

Dead

well not really...yet
apparently 2 of the unlockable cheats in the game can:

Fill Kenway's speech with "cliches from pop culture pirate lore"

Replace Kenway's crew with skeletons

Want

Scrabble

I'm about nearing the end of the game, and while it's most definitely more fun than AC3, I feel AC3 had a much better story, not the modern day stuff of course. And while I like Edward, I think Connor is a much more interesting character, despite not being as "likeable." I feel AC4 just doesn't do a good job of painting who these characters are. why am I going after them, why am I hanging around these new people, what's everyone's motivations, etc. I just never have a good sense of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it other than "we got to get to the observatory and get our coin."

As someone who started the series with 3 and found the story offensively bad due to it doing a thorough retcon and white wash of US history, will I be able to stomach this as a popcorn pirate action type of game?

Examples of what I'm talking about:
animus database entries that basically are so this stuff happened and ah, fuck it who gives a shit? IF I DIDN'T CARE I WOULDN'T BE READING THIS.
Connor being a "noble savage" and his mentor being a "wealthy black land owner." We won't mention random French patriot. Incidences of in game racism? One line.
Connor's father being all "I'm a good guy NO WAIT I'M A HUGE DOUCHE KILL ME"

Played about 12 hours of the Wii U version so far, definitely regretting not just waiting for the PC version. Performance is abysmal and the IQ as a whole is laughable. Ignoring the glaring technical issues, I can say that Black Flag is easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game, and one of the most fun I've had with gaming so far this year.

Derrick01

Banned

I still remain extremely skeptical but I plan on taking advantage of one of these buy 2 get 1 free ps4 game deals somewhere and I'll probably use 1 of the free games on this, so if it sucks again then no big deal I guess.

ironcreed

Banned
Screw it. I just snagged it off PSN. Another year, another Assassin's Creed. Here is to hoping it lives up to the promise it seems to.

My confidence in the series is redeemed. Revelations and III were letdowns for me, and I was afraid the series had run it's course. I guess I will pick it up on PS4 then.

As someone who started the series with 3 and found the story offensively bad due to it doing a thorough retcon and white wash of US history, will I be able to stomach this as a popcorn pirate action type of game?

Examples of what I'm talking about:
animus database entries that basically are so this stuff happened and ah, fuck it who gives a shit? IF I DIDN'T CARE I WOULDN'T BE READING THIS.
Connor being a "noble savage" and his mentor being a "wealthy black land owner." We won't mention random French patriot. Incidences of in game racism? One line.
Connor's father being all "I'm a good guy NO WAIT I'M A HUGE DOUCHE KILL ME"

Regarding your first example- if you started with AC3 then it may not be obvious but the POV in the Animus entries is the character Shawn and the entries are very much in-character with his portrayal in the AC2 trilogy.

j-wood

I loved AC 2 and brotherhood. Didn't really like revelations and totally skipped on 3.

That said, I'm really thinking of getting 4 on the PS4 as a second launch game based on what you guys are saying in this thread. Wise choice?

Well I don't want to advocate for the game too much - but it looks like I resonated with a couple of people!

Another positive I had forgotten: the weft and roil of the open sea is not something I thought I would see on these consoles, or knew I wanted. I do not care for pirate stories because nerds in waistcoats have ruined them. So I am pretending its about Russell Crowe in Master and Commander. But still: running about while your portable handsome choir sings the hits of 1761 or whenever is just pure fun.

A negative I had forgotten: this is Ubisoft. You have DLC to speed up upgrades. You have the option to rate the missions like Yelp for booty plunder and you have no idea how and why. The menu of the game is styled like a 360 window because Ubisoft likes to mix fine artistry with lunatic daftness. The name Ubisoft appears IN THE FICTION.

So yeah, its qualified but I am reasonably certain that if you enjoyed 2 and Brotherhood for the romp aspects as much as completionism and the attention to art history, this game takes two out of those pretty seriously. If the metastory annoys you too much then this game may push you over the edge.

I will also say that none of the ten commercial reviews I read today describe the game with any intelligence or care. The game is doing some interesting stuff and not a word about it. They are missing a trick. Hence the long posts from me.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
good stuff good stuff good stuff

As soon as you rolled out 2 and BroHood as your high water marks for rompy good fun in the series I was like "This guy.... this guy knows what's up."

Was already gonna dive into 4 for sure when the PS4 rolls around but now i'm confident in my plan of ignoring the shit out of the AC story itself and just going full hardon in the pirate lifestyle..

"Start Fights. Take Their Shit." should be on the back of the box. Good on you meng

Scrabble

I still remain extremely skeptical but I plan on taking advantage of one of these buy 2 get 1 free ps4 game deals somewhere and I'll probably use 1 of the free games on this, so if it sucks again then no big deal I guess.

You will not like it, so just don't even bother.

Bebpo

Banned

What about if you loved the 2 series and hated 3 because of the following reasons:

-A million collectibles that were boring to find
-Sub-objectives to missions that were frustrating and flashing in your face everytime you fail them.
-Really boring sidequests
-Constant hand-holding and tutorials
-Lack of assassinations
-Really boring cities and empty frontier to run around collecting boring collectibles
-Terrible AI when trying to play stealthy like the forts
-Awful crafting system, and homestead was pretty dull and not as simple and straightfoward fun as upgrading the cities in the AC2 series
-Unengaging story that jumped around and had no development
-Navel sailing was fun to do once and neat in concept of portraying the giant size of a boat, but the actual navel sailing and battles were really boring in 3 and just a bunch of slowly moving forward toward your destination while changing sails from half to full at times to avoid rocks and battles were pretty meh with just circling around enemies firing at them with cannons and ducking each time they fired at you.
-Too many missions and sidemisisons and set pieces where all you really do is hold up and run through cinematic boring gameplay. I just wanna go around and assassinate dudes with some freedom.

Does 4 fix most of that? What I hear people talk about most tends to be the sword fighting (who cares about fighting in AC game? You try to avoid it as much as possible and then you counter kill for a few mins when you don't. Don't really care if it's better or worse) and the sailing freedom (which is cool, but if freedom just means slower and more dull world traversal it's not really gonna help).

Effect

Regarding your first example- if you started with AC3 then it may not be obvious but the POV in the Animus entries is the character Shawn and the entries are very much in-character with his portrayal in the AC2 trilogy.

That's quite easy to catch on to as well. I don't get the complaints behind that one. Unless that is the first time one has ever encounter that type of thing in game or outside of a game (tv show, etc). We're dealing with historical fiction here in the end. Not a documentary or a history book.. Expect things to be changed and twisted. It's still a game in the end.

Scrabble

I know there's a great change I won't like it but it's a free ~$30 in trade in credit at the very least.

You are aware that doesn't make something free right? But whatever go ahead, and then when AC5 gets announced next month you'll be telling everyone how awful this series is. Only to buy that one as well.

Peff

What about if you loved the 2 series and hated 3 because of the following reasons:

-A million collectibles that were boring to find

Still there, sorta. The flying pieces of paper return, Animus fragments are relatively well placed, at least for this series, and the rest is just look at map, go to place, interact with item.

-Sub-objectives to missions that were frustrating and flashing in your face everytime you fail them.

Can't say for sure because so far they've been really easy to pull off, but I think they don't do the "HA, HA, TOUGH LUCK" thing anymore. In fact, a bunch of missions even have them hidden entirely and you have to go into the menus to look at them.

-Really boring sidequests

Depends on whether you count exploring the sea a sidequest. Otherwise it seems to be mostly little assassinations missions which you'd swear are ripped straight from the other games.

-Constant hand-holding and tutorials

Well, yeah, but it kinda comes with the territory :p

-Lack of assassinations

Yup. Lots of eavesdropping missions though! You have a bunch of assassination sidequests, but they're really simple two-three minute affairs.

-Really boring cities

They're too big for what you can actually do there, but at least in a couple of them you can actually run around the rooftops for once. The same can't be said about the first one, but at least it's easy to get rid of the guards.

and empty frontier to run around collecting boring collectibles

Not really, but I guess some people will believe this to be true of the sea as well.

-Terrible AI when trying to play stealthy like the forts

It's similar, but I've noticed you no longer alert EVERYONE when dealing with a single guard if you act fast. They can sometimes find hidden bodies and everything but it might have been a glitch, lol.

-Awful crafting system, and homestead was pretty dull and not as simple and straightfoward fun as upgrading the cities in the AC2 series

Crafting is really simple this time (the menu is kind of a mess though) and the ship acts as this game's "city", so it's both simple and constantly affects gameplay by offering you more health and better weapons... which in a shocking turn of events, are actually useful.

-Unengaging story that jumped around and had no development

Seems to be similar so far. Main character is OBSESSED with making money, it's almost anime-ish at times, haha. The abstergo bullshit is dumb, but what else is new.

-Navel sailing was fun to do once and neat in concept of portraying the giant size of a boat, but the actual navel sailing and battles were really boring in 3 and just a bunch of slowly moving forward toward your destination while changing sails from half to full at times to avoid rocks and battles were pretty meh with just circling around enemies firing at them with cannons and ducking each time they fired at you.

Yeah, this might be a problem :p You have a whole lot of upgrades and such, but if you didn't find what was in 3 engaging, there's nothing here that would turn your opinion around, except maybe the open world.

-Too many missions and sidemisisons and set pieces where all you really do is hold up and run through cinematic boring gameplay. I just wanna go around and assassinate dudes with some freedom.

This still rears its ugly head from time to time, but I'd say not that much more than AC2/B.

D-e-f-

Banned
Played about 12 hours of the Wii U version so far, definitely regretting not just waiting for the PC version. Performance is abysmal and the IQ as a whole is laughable. Ignoring the glaring technical issues, I can say that Black Flag is easily my favorite Assassin's Creed game, and one of the most fun I've had with gaming so far this year.

Weird thing is that you're the first one to voice these kinds of issues with that version and everyone else said it's fine.

Bebpo

Banned
Peff, thanks. Some of those sound like good improvements even if it's not a LEAP forward, but just a few steps in the right direction to fix the misteps of 3.

Shame the pages are back. They're not hard to collect, but they weren't fun in the slightest in 3. The way 2/B handled the feathers was fine. Also nice to hear you can actually rooftop run some of the cities. 3's cities were too spread out and no fun to traverse around.

Glad to hear there's more of a focus on assassination sidequests vs go-search-three-locations-then-find-a-bear busy work. Assassinating people is always fun.

Also the optional objectives being more hidden sounds pretty nice.

Hmm, might like this one. Maybe. I just want to enjoy it enough to want to finish it. I pretty much 100%'d AC1-Rev, but 30 hours into AC3 and ~50-60% completion I just couldn't take any more of the tediousness and bailed and watched the remaining cutscenes on youtube. I just want AC4 to be fun enough to finish like the older games were. Rev wasn't particularly great, but at least it was fun and not particularly tedious or slow. Then again AC1-Rev were 20-30 hour games, AC3 and 4 are the same games stretched to 40-50 hours, which is where the tediousness is rearing its head in the design.

Effect

Okay I just unlocked the
Great Inagua hideout/town
. At what point in the game, for those further ahead, does
Edward start officially being trained as an assassin
?

This is something I greatly preferred in AC3. The process to get to that point might have taken a while but I knew it was leading up to that at some point. I'm playing this and I keep wondering when!?

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and please say this game has nothing like the Boston/NY undergrounds? Those were soooooooooooooo bad and you had to spend 1-2 hours wandering around doing them all just to get decent fast-travel around the city.

Also also, do viewpoints actually uncover the whole map like the pre-AC3 games? Or is it stupid like AC3 where it basically uncovers 15 feet and to uncover the entire map you need to manually run around the whole map?

Toa TAK

Banned
Okay I just unlocked the
Great Inagua hideout/town
. At what point in the game, for those further ahead, does
Edward start officially being trained as an assassin
?
Story wise he doesn't offically become an Assassin until the end of the game (and that's something off-screen).

Gameplay wise, you'll just learn things as you go pretty early without all the "creed" context behind it.

But Revelations and 3 really gutted me on the series. However, I felt the naval battles in 3 were one of the sole redeeming factors.

See, I think this is one of the places where they sorely misstepped in my book. The naval battles were the only non-shitty thing in a shitty game, but that didn't mean that I wanted them as one of the core gameplay mechanics in the next one. It's just a further deviation from my vain hope that they will one day realize what I liked about their earlier games. It wasn't about "rompiness", it was a game about assassinating people.

Peff

Oh and please say this game has nothing like the Boston/NY undergrounds? Those were soooooooooooooo bad and you had to spend 1-2 hours wandering around doing them all just to get decent fast-travel around the city.

Also also, do viewpoints actually uncover the whole map like the pre-AC3 games? Or is it stupid like AC3 where it basically uncovers 15 feet and to uncover the entire map you need to manually run around the whole map?

Nope, this time fast travel is sensibly implemented (every activated viewpoint is an instantaneous fast travel point and entering an undiscovered island allows you to fast travel there) and yes, thank God.

Effect

Story wise he doesn't offically become an Assassin until the end of the game (and that's something off-screen).

Gameplay wise, you'll just learn things as you go pretty early without all the "creed" context behind it.

Hmm. Thanks but not sure how I feel about that. Guess I'll see how it unfolds.

PrhvOc7.gif

Thanks for reaffirming my PS4 order. The series punched me in the throat with the last one, but this is good enough to get me sucked back in.

Frillen

No undergrounds like in ACIII. View points uncover the entire map this time around, just like in the pre ACIII games.

Jedi2016

Do restricted areas stay clear once you've cleared them? I know the forts do, what about other areas? I saw in one of the videos a while back that a set of Mayan ruins was a restricted area (for whatever stupid reason), and you had to be all sneaky like to get around them, instead of just exploring. Do those open up permanently once you kill all the guards?

P.S. - I hate "restricted areas". Watch Dogs is going to do it too. /sigh

How's the game perform on the 360?

I originally planned to what until a next-gen version, but it doesn't look like they are a huge visual step up by any means, so I might just get it for the 360.

Frillen

Do restricted areas stay clear once you've cleared them? I know the forts do, what about other areas? I saw in one of the videos a while back that a set of Mayan ruins was a restricted area (for whatever stupid reason), and you had to be all sneaky like to get around them, instead of just exploring. Do those open up permanently once you kill all the guards?

P.S. - I hate "restricted areas". Watch Dogs is going to do it too. /sigh

No, the guards will spawn after a little while in those areas.

Steelyuhas said:
How's the game perform on the 360?

I originally planned to what until a next-gen version, but it doesn't look like they are a huge visual step up by any means, so I might just get it for the 360.

The 360 version looks phenomenal. The framerate is much better than in ACIII and the game has less technical glitches.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Guys, I haven't played an assassin's creed game since 2, but I need a 3rd launch game and this is at the top of my list. If there was one video you'd show someone to sell the game, what would it be? FYI, from what I gather the story is terrible so spoilers aren't an issue.

Edit: Don't care what platform the footage is on, more interested in gameplay

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Playing AC3 again in prep for the PS4 release of this and am finding my opinion improved lately. Quit around Sequence 6 a year ago(Connor finally becoming an assassin and the game starting proper) and some of the sidequests and sequences are pretty solid as I return a year later. Its glitchy as all hell, but the naval stuff is well done and I adored the "map collection" sidequests, which I am hoping AC4 really flaunts. Exploring unique locations, figuring your way through PoP-style platforming and environmental puzzles is fantastic, even if the core plotline is merely ok.

Really dislike Connor though, especially how the developers shoehorn him into so many historical events such as the Tea Party and the signing of the Declaration of Indepence. Also how quickly and publicly he discusses the hidden war between Assassins and Templars.

Glitches abound too. Beyond the gameplay stuff(camera issues, counter insignias not showing, falling through the environment, percentage completion problems, etc...) the game has some nifty concepts. I miss the interface and gameplay design of the Ezio trilogy. Combat and traversal felt more polished there, if slightly. The lock-on in AC3 is terrible and pointless, but I like the removal of health kits and other game breaking upgrades.

Anyway, just hoping AC4 does the open-world exploration a bit better than say Wind Waker or AC3. Having lots of sunken treasure/tombs/treasure locations to plunder and gte involved with. How are the missions and sidequests? Each AC game generally has a few optional missions like the underground tombs in AC2 trilogy or the map collection in AC3 that really flex unique environs and puzzles involving the environment or traversal that are great. Any impressions here? Are there interesting islands to come across and plunder?

Top Bottom