• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

EhoaVash

MmBkPNZ.jpg

not sure how accurate this is lulz

Vizzeh

Banned
I kind of still want the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars, but I also really want an Asian setting.

Those settings you mentioned will be absolutely fantastic, Napoleonic wars will be epic, (hopefully what AC3 should have been) and Japan maybe with martial arts involved, be it samurai or something....omg

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Whoa, so I may be late in the news.

But the Aveline exclusive bits are not coming to other platforms?

Eurogamer Here

I am really excited to get this with the PS4. Anticipation is killing me!

if you read the description of the gold edition of the game on steam this is part of what it says

Aveline Pack: 60 minutes of additional gameplay featuring Aveline de Grandpré from Assassin's Creed III Liberation; Unlockable Aveline ship figurehead

so....is it coming to pc or whats UBI? because it will be really messed up to trick people in to buying something to take it out later

foladar

Anybody have a rough estimate on how long if they've already beat the game? Trying to set aside schedule for it, and I've heard 15-25 hours but wasn't sure if that was fluff. Figured main story current gen, replay again ps4 with side stuff.

wow that was a surprise, bought the game since I liked the look of the tropical setting with the "open world from the start" and was surprised how good the reviews were given its just a year after AC3.

been really enjoying it. PS3 and framerate sucked in the initial "big" city but moving to sea and now in an island town it runs fine (especially since there is no screen tearing) and it looks really nice, especially as the lighting changes with the time.

the open world design and the more interesting architecture (smaller more detailed places mixing towns with natural landscapes) means I am enjoying just exploring, taking in the sights (listening to random people) and doing optional missions and just having fun playing the game as I would an RPG.

Another nice benefit of the game opening up so quickly is that its going to be fun replaying when I eventually get a PS4 (perhaps delayed since watchdogs was my only must have day one game)

-oh and put me in the did not like AC3 camp

Scrabble

I'm having a really good time with it, but I feel AC3 did a much better job of presenting the world and its characters. AC4 seems so afraid to build up and pace its self, that it just immediately is throwing stuff at you with little clarification or thought put into it. Things like "who am I again?", "who are these people?", "why am I really motivated?", etc. I don't know if it's an age thing, or too many people just have ADD or what, but I really appreciated the slow build up to AC3, I was never bored by it like so many others were. But whatever, the game is a hell of a lot more fun than AC3 is so I guess that's something.

Spoo

I'm having a really good time with it, but I feel AC3 did a much better job of presenting the world and its characters. AC4 seems so afraid to build up and pace its self, that it just immediately is throwing stuff at you with little clarification or thought put into it. Things like "who am I again?", "who are these people?", "why am I really motivated?", etc. I don't know if it's an age thing, or too many people just have ADD or what, but I really appreciated the slow build up to AC3, I was never bored by it like so many others were. But whatever, the game is a hell of a lot more fun than AC3 is so I guess that's something.

I would not even consider buying it if people reported it had a slow build like AC3, as that was my primary gripe with AC3 in the first place. I'm glad they didn't do that this time around.

Derrick01

Banned

Uh AC3 was just as bad in that regard. I remember several instances where you would just teleport into a whole different year with a major battle and characters who you (meaning the player, not the character) had never seen before would come up and greet Connor as if they've been lifelong buddies and the cutscene would just proceed like nothing weird was going on. The entire story was broken into random pieces.

I asked on the previous page, but I don't think I got a response. Does anyone know when is the best time to play the Aveline DLC? Does it take place during the main story of the game, so to make the most sense, I should play it at a certain point? Or after I beat the game? Or does it matter? Thanks. :)

FiraB

Banned
Rented it out, more enjoyable then AC3 personally.

Will wait for the PC version as the frame rate is all over the show on 360.

I mostly enjoy just fighting on the ship, the land segments aren't that fantastic to be honest, all formulaic to the series standards. I did enjoy the addition of multi-gun combat but they are way overpowered in ship to ship combat, you can seriously just perch on the side of your ship and go trigger happy without any harm to yourself and take a ship.

The hunting and gathering aspect is pretty dry stuff as well, the animal hunting for seafaring animals is harder then land animals. For anything on land you literally just hit your gun button, walk up, skin and walk away but the boating stuff is just as boring except your on a boat (play that song while doing it, popped up from my mp3 list while playing and it was crackup).

You can get some pretty powerful swords and guns early in the game from just farming the prologue area (first city), which made basically any combat a mute point. And speaking on combat the game is mind numbingly easy when it comes to fighting people, it is so easy to counter now that you will be left feeling like a one man apocalypse that could make the Black Death jealous.

It feels like a QTE which is the saddest part and yet the ship combat is amazingly well constructed (even if mortars are op as hell). Ship upgrades will take a while because you need money and resources, both don't come without expense sadly. If you count the amount of ships you sink vs the amount of ships the Spanish and British had in that era then you'd probably be surprised that you've sunk a lot of battleships.

Speaking on battleships, there are some really nice fights in the game with larger ships, they will scare you half to death when you come across them, specially in a storm when it goes from a hectic fight into a holyshit I'm dodging water tunnels (tornadoes) and massive waves while taking mortars, 28+ side cannons! heavy shots, chainshots and getting kamikaze rammed by a ship that makes mine look like a rowboat.... Ship combat is fun and even more so in the right moments.

Considering the games all about being a pirate they did a good job on the ship front but everything else is assassin creed flavour of the year with tweaked mechanics. Let's hope the next round they get rid of the loading screens because this game would have been really great if everything was just in the one world, some of the stuff is but all the city and town locations are separate areas which really broke the immersive qualities it could of had.

It's enjoyable over all.

I do not know how and why but somehow this game just clicks right from the start in comparison to AC3.

The first hour is basically your tutorial on how to do things, but even then you are free to roam that section and gather every single treasure chest, ingredients, ship songs and fragments.

The atmosphere as a whole is also a lot more light and fun, something this franchise was definitely dying for. In the previous installment I felt that they went overboard with their overall seriousness of the title, tried making the story feel too realistic and they failed on that regard.

The combat has become incredibly easy. I have to agree with the posts above me about that. There is hardly any skill needed. It is basically like Batman's counter system but instead you can just counter and immediately kill them, and right after killing them you can press the attack button every single time and you stay in this kill animation, slaughtering everyone around you with a few clicks of a button. It is childishly easy. In the words of this thread title; it definitely feels like a Disneyland Ride.

The naval combat. Now.. That is on a whole 'nother level. There is a definite sense of weight to ship, so the navigation is hardly easy when in combat. There are times where I was ambushed by 5 ships and I had to navigate through rocks, avoid huge waves, tornados and still maintain my aim so I can destroy the enemy vessels. Not to mention that some ships you destroy can be boarded for extra supplies and a repair for your ship. As a whole, with the volume pumped up, it feels like Pirates of The Carribean 3 when that naval battle hits. It does not have the suspense of Master and Commander, but it can come pretty close when everything just clicks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
if you read the description of the gold edition of the game on steam this is part of what it says

so....is it coming to pc or whats UBI? because it will be really messed up to trick people in to buying something to take it out later

It's coming to the PC. Sites reporting or suggesting otherwise have misunderstood. The "PlayStation-exclusive" content being rolled into the PC DDE is exactly what happened last year with AssCreed 3 and the Benedict Arnold missions.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This article claims the sea is more realistic and alive in the PS3 version than the 360 version. Any truth to that, or are they just kinda guessing based on a screenshot (IMO in the screenshots here the sea actually looks better in the 360 version).

http://gearnuke.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-ps3-vs-xbox-360-screenshot-comaprison/

That article is probably not a good representative. Digital Foundry's already done their comprehensive analysis. The only big graphical differences between the two is that the 360 has some sharper textures from a distance and the PS3 has a "heavier" implementation of SSAO. Otherwise they're about identical.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-assassins-creed-4-black-flag-face-off

Dr Dogg

Well it's actually very subtle in it's approach. The back story behind Edward does slowly start to unfold but it's set up is immediately apparent, you're pirate nothing more needs to be said. Just role with it, I've found it to be way more intriguing that the straight up in your face here's this guy, he's an arrogant assassin/Florentine noble/native American, here's his family, here's his motivation, now go through 4 hours of tutorials nonsense that every Assassin's Creed has done before with character introduction.

Deimo5

About the code on the back of the map poster that gives you another code to put in...the second one didn't work for me for some reason, might try again later. What am I actually missing out on?

Milennia

So what seems to be the general consensus of the people who have played the game so far?

better than the previous one?

please be better than the previous one -.-

Muppety

Here are the images (uploaded from the system it self with the hud on the gamepad) I posted in the reviews thread of the Wii U version. They're from the very beginning of the game.

I hope you don't mind that I stole one for an avatar :p

Dr Dogg

So what seems to be the general consensus of the people who have played the game so far?

better than the previous one?

please be better than the previous one -.-

Well it's a bit hard to say. What didn't you like about III?

There are lots of gripes around the direction III went. Some parts are the same, some are dropped and other are expanded.

Despite only 5 hours in though I will go out on a limb. You're in the thick of things within an hour. The backdrop is a very pantomimie version of the Caribbean (think Treasure Island, Pirate of the Caribbean, Monkey Island) with lots of bright and vibrant colours (even the moon is a massive bright white orb in a purple and black backdrop). If you know your pirate lore you will get a load out of the charters but it's not necessary as it's been handled very well not to think 'who's this guy' like III did.

Milennia

Well it's a bit hard to say. What didn't you like about III?

There are lots of gripes around the direction III went. Some parts are the same, some are dropped and other are expanded.

Despite only 5 hours in though I will go out on a limb. You're in the thick of things within an hour. The backdrop is a very pantomimie version of the Caribbean (think Treasure Island, Pirate of the Caribbean, Monkey Island) with lots of bright and vibrant colours (even the moon is a massive bright white orb in a purple and black backdrop). If you know your pirate lore you will get a load out of the charters but it's not necessary as it's been handled very well not to think 'who's this guy' like III did.

Sounds like a step up already, i knew i would love the pirate atmosphere and lore.

I didn't like the pacing of 3 as well as the tedious main missions and bland atmosphere.

I loved the naval combat though, so i hear thats nice and upgraded/refined to a certain degree.

AC5 potential future setting revealed in email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEj2bQX6yY

Well that answers the question of what time period they'd be considering Egypt for.
13th century isn't really the far back Egypt I think people were hoping for.
These are the ones that can be accounted for.

12th Century Holy Land/Crusades Altair
15th - 16th Century Italian Renaissance/Ottoman Empire Ezio
18th Century American Colonies/ War for Independence Connor

Dr Dogg

Sounds like a step up already, i knew i would love the pirate atmosphere and lore.

I didn't like the pacing of 3 as well as the tedious main missions and bland atmosphere.

I loved the naval combat though, so i hear thats nice and upgraded/refined to a certain degree.

One criticism so far is the combat still hasn't moved out of the counter, stabby, stabby, chain kill, chain kill, chain kill formula. Though I've never really seen the franchise as an action game but more an adventure game and this is the first one where I feel you can genuinely go adventuring.

You've got pretty much the whole of the Caribbean (minus Haiti and The Dominican Republic I think) and the Bahamas to explore. There's only 3 major cities but there's apparently around 80 locations in the game.

The first time you go all Erroll Flynn and swashbuckle your way onto another vessel ship to ship I dare you not to be grinning like a chessire cat.

Milennia

One criticism so far is the combat still hasn't moved out of the counter, stabby, stabby, chain kill, chain kill, chain kill formula. Though I've never really seen the franchise as an action game but more an adventure game and this is the first one where I feel you can genuinely go adventuring.

You've got pretty much the whole of the Caribbean (minus Haiti and The Dominican Republic I think) and the Bahamas to explore. There's only 3 major cities but there's apparently around 80 locations in the game.

The first time you go all Erroll Flynn and swashbuckle your way onto another vessel ship to ship I dare you not to be grinning like a chessire cat.

Whelp thats that lol.

I too consider the games more adventure oriented.
i usually got past the giant street brawls with relative ease in every previous installation so they didn't really even have the time to grow repetitive on me.
I can also say i always attempted to go full "stealth" in each title , hence avoiding most street brawls anyway=p.

looking forward to picking this up, for the record however, i really liked 2-revelations simply because i liked the character the games followed.

Tukker

So this is my fist Assassins Creed game and I thought that this one would be like a huge sandbox where you can go wherever you want and explore. I keep getting into the this memory is not current or whatever the message is when I try to explore or when I go to new islands marked by the black question mark it says its not available yet.

Does the entire map open up at some point or does it only open 1 island at a time as you progress through the story?

So this is my fist Assassins Creed game and I thought that this one would be like a huge sandbox where you can go wherever you want and explore. I keep getting into the this memory is not current or whatever the message is when I try to explore or when I go to new islands marked by the black question mark it says its not available yet.

Does the entire map open up at some point or does it only open 1 island at a time as you progress through the story?

Yeah its way more like the older GTAs. Open the map by playing the story.

E92 M3

So can one say that the improvement in this iteration - from AC 3 - is equivalent to delta between AC1 and AC2?

The combat has become incredibly easy. I have to agree with the posts above me about that. There is hardly any skill needed. It is basically like Batman's counter system but instead you can just counter and immediately kill them, and right after killing them you can press the attack button every single time and you stay in this kill animation, slaughtering everyone around you with a few clicks of a button. It is childishly easy. In the words of this thread title; it definitely feels like a Disneyland Ride.

that's basically how it was in the 2 series. I HATED the fatigue-based combat in 3; even if it's stupid easy, I find huge chain kills super satisfying for some reason.

Ezio

Loving this game so far just got the
Jackdaw

Framerate issues in the big city as people have said which was ok to do deal with. The one thing that has been bothering me though is the audio kicking in and out on my Pulse Elite headset. I wonder if they need to patch it or I just have to deal with it. It's pretty bad in some parts.

Ezio

Also - Does anyone know if I buy the Season Pass for it on PS3 will that follow over to the PS4 version or will I have to re-buy?

B4D1E

It will transfer over.

Unfortunately unlike the saves. The season pass will be transferable over both next-gen until 31/05/2013.

Got the game yesterday for 360, I couldn't resist the wait for the pre-ordered Xbox One version. IMO, it wasn't necessary just for a graphical improvement.

So far, I'm loving it (2 hours in). Still didn't leave Havana. Having ODD, I'm trying to get all collectibles in the city. No major framerate issues so far, and the game looks very good. I don't regret buying it.
Really looking forward having my own ship.

Like I said, it's a shame we can't transfer the progress to the next-gen version of the game.

Scrabble

How much am I missing by not having the uplay passport thing or whatever? Ade told me to go to my cabin and check something out, only for the game to then tell me that exclusive content is available for the passport. Is this tied to sending ships to your fleet? I get that option, but I have absolutely no idea what it does or what it's for, because the game hasn't explained anything about it. It seems crazy they would decide to just lock away an entire system if you don't have a passport.

Top Bottom