• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I played the first 4 games to 100% completion. I got bored with AC3 about 12 hours in. I just wasn't feeling it.

AC4 is fucking fantastic. It starts off interesting and smartly gives you just enough leash as it slowly opens the world up to you (it gates you but it's SOOO much better than 3). I just love sailing around the world with so many things to do (though the copy/paste islands are disappointing). And I still can't do everything I want to do yet (like diving for treasure or taking over a couple of things).

The combat is better (and seems tougher), there are much fewer bugs/glitches, the UI is 100 times better, and I just love the pirate/exploration premise.

I'm really, really impressed. So impressed that I'll probably finish this AND play through the PS4 version.

spannicus

So ugly.

2013-10-2822_15_05-wokbqmd.png

pppput the lotion in the basket

gribbles

Banned
I thought most people were enjoying it? Most of the hate just stems from the people who hate the series, and have made it their duty to tell everyone how awful it is.

No, I'm a huge fan of AC2 and ACB and they're two of my favourite games ever, this game and AC3 genuinely suck.

I finished Arkham Origins faster than I had anticipated so I jumped on the extra trade in credit at Best Buy and traded it for eShop credit. Downloaded AC4 in a fairly quick time and I've finally been playing it. I was shocked at how quickly I was in the game. They didn't screw around this time.

It also looks fucking good. Not just good, fucking good. I doubt it's all that extra Wii U power...I think it has to do with how colorful the setting is time time around. It's just...prettier to look at than three was.

P.S. If you play multiplayer and have the Wii U version, add me! NNID: TheMarioLink

This game was fantastic. This was going to be my first AC I was going to skip due to the fact, that the third let me down, so I decided to rent it, in order to get the story out of the way. I am planing on purchasing it now for the next gen due to the fact that there is so much stuff I had to skip in order to rush through it. I was only at 34% at sequence 11, which amazed so much that I had almost beaten the main game, with only this much done.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous, which I was surprised about it. The combat is pretty much the same as before, except two swords, and no dagger or hatchet. There is some glitchy movement, but I went in expecting that, so no biggy.

The storyline is pretty good, but you kind of question, why you are doing what you are doing, but that's besides the point. Edward has great characterization throughout this game, as does a few of the side characters, but the templars are utterly forgettable.

The present day missions, involve mainly little mini-games, with some information popping about what is going to happen next, but it really seemed like filler, though the emails about which locations are available are probably the most interesting part.

I will guess this will be the fifth game of the year nomination at the VGA's, which previously was open for interpretation.

Dead

well not really...yet
I could see Black Flag dethroning Brotherhood.

But AC2 is just superb, pitch perfect balance of story, characters, intrigue, new gameplay systems, intuitive, incredible game world. It's one of the top 5 games of the generation for me.

Actually, to be honest, Brotherhood pretty much feels like a proper and natural expansion to AC2 anyways so I shouldn't even rank them separately.

This game was fantastic. This was going to be my first AC I was going to skip due to the fact, that the third let me down, so I decided to rent it, in order to get the story out of the way. I am planing on purchasing it now for the next gen due to the fact that there is so much stuff I had to skip in order to rush through it. I was only at 34% at sequence 11, which amazed so much that I had almost beaten the main game, with only this much done.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous, which I was surprised about it. The combat is pretty much the same as before, except two swords, and no dagger or hatchet. There is some glitchy movement, but I went in expecting that, so no biggy.

The storyline is pretty good, but you kind of question, why you are doing what you are doing, but that's besides the point. Edward has great characterization throughout this game, as does a few of the side characters, but the templars are utterly forgettable.

The present day missions, involve mainly little mini-games, with some information popping about what is going to happen next, but it really seemed like filler, though the emails about which locations are available are probably the most interesting part.

I will guess this will be the fifth game of the year nomination at the VGA's, which previously was open for interpretation.

I have had this problem with every single AC game. Even the best ones (AC2, Brotherhood) suffer from this.

Picked up the art book for the game (I can't get the game until two weeks when the PS4 version hits) and it is beautiful. I also have the AC3 art book as well as the Encyclopedia 2.0 (the one that came with AC3). I lack the AC1 art book (the big one, not the one that came with the game) -- is it still worth picking up or does the Encyclopedia include some (all?) of the art from it?

Effect

This is becoming a problem for me as I play more of this. Again I have to go back to AC3 since that's the only other AC game I've played but with that while you were doing all this stuff it always came back to the Templars and going after them. Having to do other stuff in order to get to them. I feel like it kept that aspect of the game in the forefront. While that isn't the case here. I thought that was the central story aspect about the AC games. So I guess I just expected to learn more and see it being an important focus. It seems like an afterthought for the most part here.

The game has made a point several times they want you the player to focus on the
Observatory
stuff, which sounds like it would be really interesting, but it keeps swinging back to this pirate stuff. Playing out situations where I really couldn't give a damn about anyone involved on both sides.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I would have always prefered to see the first civ stuff remain murky, unclear, like a religion something that people think they understand but which ultimately remains up to interpretation and is interpreted different by factions with different intentions. This is why to me it worked so well in AC1, and even AC2 (until the first civ chick appeared at the end).

It is absolutely ridiculous how little religion itself didn't have much of a place in the series after AC1, especially during eras such as the renaissance, the ottoman empire, and even in AC4 considering that it was a good opportunity to look at the fall of religion as a colonizing force and the emergence of the new era which really took hold a few decades later. Instead the brand has focused on first civ stuff. Why did people become pirates? Where did they sleep? How did they manage not to get caught or betrayed? What did a pirate do with his money? Why risk his life like this? Etc. Heck, I think AC2 and Brotherhood never even said the word "Jesus". ACR had civil war between Ottomans and "Byzantines", which never happened, they byzantines had been kicked out when the Ottoman empire invaded decades before.

So to me AC has a lot of potential, but is still not handled with the level of maturity that the brand itself deserves considering that it makes history its playground. It just manages to stand out in the respect because pretty much no other series has believed that historical settings could make for great AAA games, but it could be a lot better on that front.

ironcreed

Banned
Spent forever in Havana collecting everything and doing all the side stuff and finally got out to sea. Holy shit this game really takes off once you do so. I saw the huge map, the open sea and all the ships for the taking and just had a big grin on my face. Time for some ship upgrades.

Spent forever in Havana collecting everything and doing all the side stuff and finally got out to sea. Holy shit this game really takes off once you do so. I saw the huge map, the open sea and all the ships for the taking and just had a big grin on my face. Time for some ship upgrades.

Me too. It is a shame the game does not really reward you for gathering everything in the cities. I got all the chests, fragments, songs and did all of the assassination missions in Havana. I know you get a costume for completing every assassination mission, but still.

ironcreed

Banned
Me too. It is a shame the game does not really reward you for gathering everything in the cities. I got all the chests, fragments, songs and did all of the assassination missions in Havana. I know you get a costume for completing every assassination mission, but still.

But what makes it click for me is that the cities are fun to explore again. At least Havana so far anyway. It has that old AC vibe, only with the added pirate twist and it all just meshes so well.

But again, wow at getting set loose on the open sea map with all of the locations, ships, huge waves, wind, weather and sea life. Just a wonderful atmosphere that really feels like it's own game. Can't wait until I can dive.

SJRB

Gold Member
You fuckers and your "better than Brotherhood" comments got me to buy the game just now.

Interesting tidbit for those on the fence between the PS3 and the PS4 version: inside the box is a voucher you can use to get the PS4 version for 10 bucks off the PSN store. The only downside is that you can only play with the PS3 disc inserted in the PS4.

So just get the PS3 version el cheapo somewhere and you got yourself a copy of the PS4 version for 10 bucks too.

Alpende

Can someone tell me if the emphasis on stealth is actually true? They say that stealth is important in almost every AC game and it never really is.

gribbles

Banned
Can someone tell me if the emphasis on stealth is actually true? They say that stealth is important in almost every AC game and it never really is.

If by stealth you mean "10 billion stalking/eavesdropping missions which instantly desync you over and over if you're only even 2 or 3 seconds outside of eavesdropping range", then yes, there's lots of stealth.

Effect

You fuckers and your "better than Brotherhood" comments got me to buy the game just now.

Interesting tidbit for those on the fence between the PS3 and the PS4 version: inside the box is a voucher you can use to get the PS4 version for 10 bucks off the PSN store. The only downside is that you can only play with the PS3 disc inserted in the PS4.

So just get the PS3 version el cheapo somewhere and you got yourself a copy of the PS4 version for 10 bucks too.

I was wondering what the catch was to this upgrade for $10 plan.

Ezio

Played more over the weekend. I gotta say I'm loving this game, for sure on par with AC2/B for me and I absolutely loved those two. I love just sailing around, taking out ships and getting loot, also whaling etc. are a lot more fun then I thought they'd be, especially hunting the
white whales
there skin goes for 4,000!

Peterthumpa

I'm kinda disappointed with the Wii U version. I'm running it off an USB stick, don't know if that's an issue but there are frequent, clear framerate drops everywhere while playing on TV.

Off-TV play is smoother, and I usually like to play my Wii U games that way, but also I'm noticing that the stream quality to the gamepad seems worse than my other games. It looks almost Onlive-ish, can't say for sure what's the problem.

Gonna upgrade to an external HDD this weekend to see if the framerate problem goes away. Doubt it, though.

^Agree. Played a lot more this weekend and trying to go very slow as I will get the PS4 version next week. I am really loving the stealth in this. It is very gratifying.

I did not think I would like the open seas however I can't stop getting into ship battles and taking over other vessels.

The Aveline extra story included is my cup of tea, all stealth, hiding and slashing.

ironcreed

Banned
Played more over the weekend. I gotta say I'm loving this game, for sure on par with AC2/B for me and I absolutely loved those two. I love just sailing around, taking out ships and getting loot, also whaling etc. are a lot more fun then I thought they'd be, especially hunting the
white whales
there skin goes for 4,000!

I ran into the
white whale
straight away after leaving Havana and sailing around a bit. It served as a nice reminder that I am going to be needing some upgrades.

At any rate, I know one thing. I want more pirate games like this damn it.

Effect

I'm kinda disappointed with the Wii U version. I'm running it off an USB stick, don't know if that's an issue but there are frequent, clear framerate drops everywhere while playing on TV.

Off-TV play is smoother, and I usually like to play my Wii U games that way, but also I'm noticing that the stream quality to the gamepad seems worse than my other games. It looks almost Onlive-ish, can't say for sure what's the problem.

Gonna upgrade to an external HDD this weekend to see if the framerate problem goes away. Doubt it, though.

I believe Nintendo said not to do that as it would cause issues. That could very well be the source of your issues.

Money is becoming an issue so I think I should be looking into whaling now. Would like to fully upgrade things before going forward. This game does have AC3 beat in all areas but the story for me. Though there is one section that really stood out to me and it reminded me of some of the best parts of AC3. That would be the death of
Blackbeard and the entire mission leading up to it. By the end I actually ended up liking the character more then I thought.
. How that played out was pretty good. Parts of that mission reminded me of the Charlestown mission in AC3 where crap is just exploding around you. Hopefully that's the point where things will be picking up in intensity. There's been a lack of that in the game I think. At least for me.

Scrabble

I believe Nintendo said not to do that as it would cause issues. That could very well be the source of your issues.

Money is becoming an issue so I think I should be looking into whaling now. Would like to fully upgrade things before going forward. This game does have AC3 beat in all areas but the story for me. Though there is one section that really stood out to me and it reminded me of some of the best parts of AC3. That would be the death of
Blackbeard and the entire mission leading up to it. By the end I actually ended up liking the character more then I thought.
. How that played out was pretty good. Parts of that mission reminded me of the Charlestown mission in AC3 where crap is just exploding around you. Hopefully that's the point where things will be picking up in intensity. There's been a lack of that in the game I think. At least for me.

Agreed, the story is really disappointing and never really goes in any interesting directions. Excluding the modern day stuff, I though AC3 actually had a really good story. I think AC4 is so afraid to pace and build its self after the reaction to 3, that you're always left wondering who these characters are, why am I after these characters, why should I care about these pirates, what's going on, etc.

Agreed, the story is really disappointing and never really goes in any interesting directions. Excluding the modern day stuff, I though AC3 actually had a really good story. I think AC4 is so afraid to pace and build its self after the reaction to 3, that you're always left wondering who these characters are, why am I after these characters, why should I care about these pirates, what's going on, etc.
I'm pretty Sure black flag was way too far in development to have changed dramatically from 3s reception. The story is a mess because they basically said fuck it and strung along a plot that let them cover some basic themes and set pieces. Its just a slapdash of memories that build to you finding what abstergo wants.

Mister D

I'm really seriously considering getting this game for PS4 although I got bored within the first few hours of playing AC3 which I got for free with my graphics card. Does anyone know if the PS4 version is 60fps or 30fps. How would an I7 3770k and a slightly overclocked GTX 680 fare in getting a locked 60fps? With the PS4 version getting some extra content and just not having to deal with the UPlay launcher despite the game being on Steam I'm really conflicted. One on hand, I think I would probably get better performance and a better looking game on PC but with Target's B2G1 deal I might just get NFS Rivals, COD: Ghosts or NBA2K14, and get ACIV for free.

I'm really seriously considering getting this game for PS4 although I got bored within the first few hours of playing AC3 which I got for free with my graphics card. Does anyone know if the PS4 version is 60fps or 30fps. How would an I7 3770k and a slightly overclocked GTX 680 fare in getting a locked 60fps? With the PS4 version getting some extra content and just not having to deal with the UPlay launcher despite the game being on Steam I'm really conflicted. One on hand, I think I would probably get better performance and a better looking game on PC but with Target's B2G1 deal I might just get NFS Rivals, COD: Ghosts or NBA2K14, and get ACIV for free.

PS4 version is 30fps. You should be able to get 60fps no problem on PC with those specs. (if the pc version is optimized properly). AC3 had some problems when setting the environment quality to max.

I am also still on the fence on PS4 or PC. Though right now I am thinking more PS4 since I would want a big game to play on the new system and fool around with the remote play vita gimmic. Also, I thought the PS4 had exclusive Aveline single player missions, but I see they are also listed on the steam page for the game. I guess it is "console exclusive" lol.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm thinking about buying Brotherhood but i'm worried i get burned out on Assassin's Creed when Black Flag comes out on PC.

Toa TAK

Banned
Best Assasins Creed entry so far. Even beating Brotherhood.

I'm thinking about buying Brotherhood but i'm worried i get burned out on Assassin's Creed when Black Flag comes out on PC.

Of course it beats Brotherhood. It doesn't take much to beat it.

So much more to do in the Caribbean than in Rome. I enjoy the setting a lot more here, too than Italy in II and Brohood. Story is better, too.

okayfrog

Banned
Two questions, if ya'll don't mind me asking.

1. How much of the game is naval combat? AC3 was, what, about 10% naval combat? I'm hoping for more, like, a lot more.
2. Are there any silly twists or wacky future past alien things going on like in the past games, or have they swept that under the rug? A simple "yes/no" is fine for this.

Peff

1. How much of the game is naval combat? AC3 was, what, about 10% naval combat? I'm hoping for more, like, a lot more.
2. Are there any silly twists or wacky future past alien things going on like in the past games, or have they swept that under the rug? A simple "yes/no" is fine for this.

The main missions are actually fairly light on ship stuff, but it's not a big deal because there are infinitely respawning enemy ships in the sea. And not really, but you do get pulled from the Animus to do some dull stuff from time to time.

okayfrog

Banned
Ahhh, that doesn't sound good at all. I want my wacky twists and turns. Other than this whole ship thing, that's the only reason I play the AssCreed games. Oh well, guess I can wait for it to drop to $20 or less. Thanks.

ironcreed

Banned

Put it this way, there is a huge open world at sea available to you after leaving Havana. Complete with ships sailing around you can attack, sea life, islands to explore littered everywhere, ship upgrades and customization, huge waves, varying weather, diving for treasure and harpooning. The pirate thing is not just a novelty here, but the highlight of the game that makes it so special.

Enco

Played this on the PS4 and I wasn't very impressed.

I've never been a huge AC fan but damn the AI sucks. It was embarrassingly bad. The graphics were pretty dodgy too. I'm thinking it was a badly set up TV but there sure as hell was nothing next gen about it. The water looked nice though. PS4 controller is sexy and light. Feels gooood. Frame rate was smooth but you can tell it's not 60 (if you've played a 60 FPS games regularly at least). It was a smooth 30 FPS.

That being said, I only played 15-20 minutes. I can see why some people like the game but it's not for me.

Mister D

Yeah, I've never really been much into the AC series and have never finished any of them. The only thing really drawing me to this game is the pirate stuff since I've been craving an actual pirate open world game and this seems to be as good as it's gonna get so I'll probably just ignore the AC stuff and play it like a pirate version of Far Cry 3. The PS4 version not being 60fps is pretty disappointing. With my huge backlog and how much time I think I'm gonna be spending on BF4 and KZ I doubt I'll get COD since that's shooter overload with Blacklight being free too. I've already paid for BF4 on PSN and my bundle comes with KZ so I don't really have too many games I'm really that interested in to use the Target sale. Plus coming from Steam sales, $40 a game is not that good of a deal. I'll just wait for the PC version to go on sale and get my pirate on then.

I'll take 30 fps on PS4

You can tell in Havana it really struggles with the framerate, presumably there is less pop in and better quality shadows (very blocky on PS3)

Surprised how good and smooth the water is when you are out at sea though on PS3

Peff

Well, whaddya know, these secret super powerful ship boss battles are actually challenging! I'm impressed.

Yeah, I've never really been much into the AC series and have never finished any of them. The only thing really drawing me to this game is the pirate stuff since I've been craving an actual pirate open world game and this seems to be as good as it's gonna get so I'll probably just ignore the AC stuff and play it like a pirate version of Far Cry 3.

I'd be careful with that mindset, the open world is there, and the game may get to the point faster than AC3, but you still have to advance quite a bit to fully unlock the map and all the activities like shipwreck exploring.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay, I'm only about 30 minutes in but I'm really enjoying it so far. The extremely vibrant colors and the lighthearted pirate theme already work 10 times better than the drab and depressing setting in ACIII.

And the current-day Abstergo stuff is so meta it makes me feel weird, it's very well done. Amazing art design btw, I wish I worked in an office that looked like that.

So I read on the playstation blog that if I buy AC4 digitally off PSN the ps4 version will automatically show up for $10 for me in the store after the ps4 is released. Can anyone else confirm this? And also, if I were to buy the gold edition of the game, would I get a gold edition of the ps4 version?

So I read on the playstation blog that if I buy AC4 digitally off PSN the ps4 version will automatically show up for $10 for me in the store after the ps4 is released. Can anyone else confirm this? And also, if I were to buy the gold edition of the game, would I get a gold edition of the ps4 version?

there are instructions inside the PS3 box about how to buy the $10 upgrade

you have to have the PS3 disc to play the PS4 game however

Also, buying the season pass transfers over to PS4, not sure what the gold edition is.

EDarkness

I think Nintendo said that using USB flash drives wasn't recommended? I have the game on disc, but I can't play it until tomorrow since I'm on vacation. Though, I've heard from people who've played it that the framerate is smooth. They own the disc version, though. Not sure if there is a difference between playing from the disc or the download version.

Top Bottom