• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I couldn't find a response in the pages I searched. Does the PS3 save transfer to PS4? If not, I'll just wait for the PS4 version. Too many games to play right now anyway!

Lima

I'm aware, but personally, it wasn't all that to me.

But then again, I'm the guy who loved ACR and ACIII.

My man.

ACR is the best in the series. Had everything that Brotherhood had and such an awesome story with the Ezio and Altair finale.

So I wanted to wait for the next-gen version but caved and bought this on 360. Games looks really good, especially considering the massive size, much improved over AC3 but holy shit at that sky texture. Tis a joke ay?

Not too far in, just reached Nassau. My only complaint would be that while they finally put the feature in that he takes down his hood while not in a restricted area (I've always wanted this), Edward the main character looks like one ugly motherfucker.

I'm aware, but personally, it wasn't all that to me.

But then again, I'm the guy who loved ACR and ACIII.

Sweet....jesus.....

1310.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay, I just did the first eavesdropping, first combat and first sneaking mission.

Don't let anyone fool you - the AI is still as retarded as the first AC. It's riddled with pathfinding glitches, insane "can they see me or not" stuff and overall clunkiness. The fighting is still a matter of pressing O to dodge, then square to kill - kill - kill.

It's pretty unbelievable they still haven't been able the pathfinding after all these years. I mean, nothing is more immersion-breaking than following someone who somehow walks into a crate or other object and starts doing the the most quirky jumps to get over it. It's just as stupid as every grunt being a freerunning master following you across rooftops and such.

That being said, Havannah is a nice place. It's rather small in comparison to massive cities like Constantinople but it has more.. soul. Mostly thanks to the colorful buildings and stuff. Edward Kenway is a decent character and the voice acting has been great.

I hope I unlock my ship soon, I want to sail damnit.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just tried to take on a white whale

lol guess you need fully upgraded harpooning to take it on

Game is total awesome

Scrabble

Sweet....jesus.....

1310.gif

I'm sure you're just playing around. but it gets kind of old seeing the constant scolding at anyone who enjoys a certain game. Do opinions really upset people that much? AC2 is far and away my favorite in the series, but AC3 is a great game as well. It wasn't trying to be just another AC2, which is something that I commend. Even if there are some rough spots.

Omni

Eh.

Thirty seconds in and I can already tell my complaints about III are still valid here. Controls are still oversimplified.

There's no jumping. There's no looking at which ledges you may or may not make if you jump. Just hold those two buttons in the general direction and the game does it all for you.

I'd return it now if I hadn't already opened it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh man

Sequence 4 spoiler:
the villa and hideout is straight out of AC2! Including locked up outfit with associates quests. Even better those side quests are tied perfectly into the main narrative
!

This is a total return to form after AC3

Eh.

Thirty seconds in and I can already tell my complaints about III are still valid here. Controls are still oversimplified.

There's no jumping. There's no looking at which ledges you may or may not make if you jump. Just hold those two buttons in the general direction and the game does it all for you.

Imagine it's a racing game.

Eh.

How is this different than all AC games? It's like complaining about ADS in COD after playing MW3. Where have you been?

Omni

How is this different than all AC games? It's like complaining about ADS in COD after playing MW3. Where have you been?
In AC 1/2 you had to do more than just hold the trigger and a direction on the thumb stick to climb. It's boring.

Can't comment on combat just yet. But in terms of moving around and whatnot, it's such an oversimplified process that takes the fun out of one of the game's most interesting aspects.

gribbles

Banned
Connor may have been bland, but he wasn't blatantly stupid and knew what side he stood on from the get go.

Ummm... yes he was. He kept siding with George Washington even after Washington admitted to Connor that he was the one who attacked and burned down his mother's village, NOT the Templars. Any sane, normal person at this stage would have killed George Washington. But hey, that's okay, because George Washington is fighting on the side of freedom, and those Templars are bad and evil because...... well, they're just bad and evil alright? Who cares if it doesnt make any sense??? So let's just keep killing the templars simply because they're templars, and support the dude who killed our own mother.

Now if that isn't stupid, I dont know what is.

Omni

Its an early game plot device. edit your post. if you think its a spoiler, dont repost. :)

game is still called Assassin's Creed
How the fuck am I supposed to know if it's a spoiler?

How about, and bear with me here, not posting it without tags in the first place. You've basically spoiled a part of the story for me. Early "plot device" or not.

I don't see how the title is relevant here. If you said he was an Assassin you'd have a point. But you didn't and so you don't.

Sounds a bit harsh, so I apologise. But I get so frustrated when it comes to spoilers.

Omni

yeah, how about not jumping me from the rooftop and stabbing my face if you're unsure its a spoiler? :)

Still, it was a slip on my part. I apologize. I'm precisely like you in that I prefer to be in the dark and any slip of information breaks that illusion. Again, I apologize.
:)

Gosh this game has made me realise nextgen is long overdue. It's not so much the visuals as it is the frame rate. It's horrible. Hurts my eyes even

In AC 1/2 you had to do more than just hold the trigger and a direction on the thumb stick to climb. It's boring.

Can't comment on combat just yet. But in terms of moving around and whatnot, it's such an oversimplified process that takes the fun out of one of the game's most interesting aspects.

Explain what else you had to do other than continue to find a path upwards. Naturally, pathfinding upwards isn't nearly as important in a game with little verticality.

The biggest change was when they added the button timing on the upwards leap (either AC2 or ACB), but even then, they didn't give you that until late-ish in the game.

I know the controls were slightly different early on when it was conceived as controlling a puppet, but that just meant you were holding down two buttons instead of one to do the same thing. That doesn't make it better.

Scrabble

All the reasons people dislike Connor, are exactly why I find him to be such an interesting character. Video game protagonists don't have to adhere to the same "mr perfect cool guy and likeable action hero" or the "badass anti hero." He seemed like a real person caught between two sides of a conflict in which he had no hope of winning, and becomes quite a tragic character in the end. Using the backdrop of the Revolutionary war, to tell a coming of age story that parallels Americas own, I thought was a really good idea as well. He's flawed, he's naive and idealistic, he's brash at times, and makes mistakes. And that's exactly why I think he's one of the more memorable and unique protagonists we've seen in a videogame.

Edward in comparison is just too simple of a character. Whose only motivation being "lets go find the observatory and get our coin" , doesn't exactly make for a nuanced and compelling character. Especially when they finally, and lazily, decide to give him some character development in the last 30 mins of the game. It's no surprise people are taking a liking to him though. He's the typical 'devil may care' type character we see in games all the time, and who seems deliberately made to make sure to appeal to as many people as possible, and in no way offend anybody playing.

gribbles

Banned
All the reasons people dislike Connor, are exactly why I find him to be such an interesting character. Video game protagonists don't have to adhere to the same "mr perfect cool guy and likeable action hero" or the "badass anti hero." He seemed like a real person caught between two sides of a conflict in which he had no hope of winning, and becomes quite a tragic character in the end. Using the backdrop of the Revolutionary war, to tell a coming of age story that parallels Americas own, I thought was a really good idea as well. He's flawed, he's naive and idealistic, he's brash at times, and makes mistakes. And that's exactly why I think he's one of the more memorable and unique protagonists we've seen in a videogame.

Edward in comparison is just too simple of a character. Whose only motivation being "lets go find the observatory and get our coin" , doesn't exactly make for a nuanced and compelling character. Especially when they finally, and lazily, decide to give him some character development in the last 30 mins of the game. It's no surprise people are taking a liking to him though. He's the typical 'devil may care' type character we see in games all the time, and who seems deliberately made to make sure to appeal to as many people as possible, and in no way offend anybody playing.

There's a stark contrast between someone who is flawed and makes mistakes, and someone who knowingly and willingly allies himself with the murderer of his own mother. Connor wasn't flawed. A flawed hero would have acknowledged his mistakes and set about righting those wrongs. Instead, he stuck his head in the sand and continued to convince himself he was fighting on the side of good and justice. He was self-righteous, he was stupid, he was hypocritical, and easily the most awfully written protagonist in AC history.

Toa TAK

Banned

Jesus Christ, this fucking man right here gets it 100%. Putting it into words far better than I can.
There's a stark contrast between someone who is flawed and makes mistakes, and someone who knowingly and willingly allies himself with the murderer of his own mother. Connor wasn't flawed. A flawed hero would have acknowledged his mistakes and set about righting those wrongs. Instead, he stuck his head in the sand and continued to convince himself he was fighting on the side of good and justice. He was self-righteous, he was stupid, he was hypocritical, and easily the most awfully written protagonist in AC history.
I personally thought that's what made him great. He had to learn eventually that there is no "black and white". Connor tries to convince himself (and others) that the one path he's on with the colonists will be the ultimate endgame and things will be great for everyone onwards once they accomplish their goal. He's a hypocrite, sure, but so is everyone else around him and he wants so badly to be above it all and save his people, hence him being incredibly self-righteous. The dude is being used and shut down by people left and right (Samuel Adams, Haytham, Achilles, etc), and while he agrees to do their dirty work, he expects them to be as good to him as he was to them. When that doesn't happen, that's when he becomes frustrated and calls people out on their bullshit like Haytham and Samuel Adams.

conman

My man.

ACR is the best in the series. Had everything that Brotherhood had and such an awesome story with the Ezio and Altair finale.
I'll grant you that ACR had the best systems design, best city design, and best combat/stealth mechanics in the series, but story? It had almost none, and the Altair stuff was melodramatic junk.

I loved my time with ACR, but it wasn't the story that got me there.

Scrabble

I was unaware that there is a rulebook on creating flawed characters, I'll have to look into that. And Connor by the end of the game does acknowledge his mistakes and shortcomings, and knowing American history towards the treatment of Native Americans is what makes his story all the more tragic. He believed in the patriots message of "liberty" and "freedom" above all else in order to save his people, only to then find out that only applies to the white and privileged.

gribbles

Banned
I was unaware that there is a rulebook on creating flawed characters, I'll have to look into that. And Connor by the end of the game does acknowledge his mistakes and shortcomings, and knowing American history towards the treatment of Native Americans is what makes his story all the more tragic. He believed in the patriots message of "liberty" and "freedom" above all else in order to save his people, only to then find out that only applies to the white and privileged.

But did he do anything to fix it? Nope, he just sat around his homestead like an idiot.

Scrabble

But did he do anything to fix it? Nope, he just sat around his homestead like an idiot.

what? The game ended, and by that point his people had been forced out . And do you know American History? The fuck could Connor ever hope to do? Again, playing as a character who for all intents and purposes "loses", is again why I find him so fascinating. Video game characters don't always need to win and come out on top, the real world doesn't work like that.

ironcreed

Banned
This game just gets better and better as it keeps introducing new stuff at the perfect pace. I can't get over how huge it is, either. Just damn. So much more to see and do as well. Let's just say it will be keeping me busy for awhile.

Anyway, say what you will about the yearly releases, but this game is fucking good. It is by far the most they have ever done with the series and it has freshened it up to the point that I finally love it again... free running quirks and all. Hell, it is easily up there with my favorite games of the year. I am even having more fun with it than I did with GTA V.

gribbles

Banned
what? The game ended, and by that point his people had been forced out . And do you know American History? The fuck could Connor ever hope to do? Again, playing as a character who for all intents and purposes "loses", is again why I find him so fascinating. Video game characters don't always need to win and come out on top, the real world doesn't work like that.

Yes I know American History, and yes I know that the US government committed against the Native American population a series of injustices tantamount to genocide, culminating in the Trail of Tears.

What we're talking about right now is a video game. And video games dont have to be historically accurate. In fact, the AC series has proven time and again how historically INACCURATE it is. I can count off the top of my head over a dozen historical inaccuracies from each AC game. This series is riddled with them.

And where did I say that video game characters always have to win? I never said that. I said that Connor is a stupid fucking idiot, and that's why I dont like him. Simple as that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Scrabble

Yes I know American History, and yes I know that the US government committed against the Native American population a series of injustices tantamount to genocide, culminating in the Trail of Tears.

What we're talking about right now is a video game. And video games dont have to be historically accurate. In fact, the AC series has proven time and again how historically INACCURATE it is. I can count off the top of my head over a dozen historical inaccuracies from each AC game. This series is riddled with them.

And where did I say that video game characters always have to win? I never said that. I said that Connor is a stupid fucking idiot, and that's why I dont like him. Simple as that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

So what exactly are you asking for? You claim characters don't have to win, while also advocating ubisoft just decide to go with some alternate version of US history. One in which the atrocities and missteps towards Native Americans never happened. Because it's a video game? Small historical inaccuracies aside, ubisoft completely rewriting American History is sort of a stretch, even for the series. But whatever, I don't really care if you dislike Connor. This is an AC4 thread.

He cuts ties with Washington after Haytham shows him Washington's plans for nuking his village. I don't know how threatening to kill someone if they pursue counts as allying yourself with them.

BigDug13

I've never played an AC game but I love Sid Meier's Pirates.

Will this game tickle that "HD Sid Meier's Pirates" style of gameplay?

gribbles

Banned
So what exactly are you asking for? You claim characters don't have to win, while also advocating ubisoft just decide to go with some alternate version of US history. One in which the atrocities and missteps towards Native Americans never happened. Because it's a video game? Small historical inaccuracies aside, ubisoft completely rewriting American History is sort of a stretch, even for the series. But whatever, I don't really care if you dislike Connor. This is an AC4 thread.

Jesus fucking christ, here you go again, making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

1) I'm not asking for anything.
2) I never advocated for an alternate version of history. All I was doing was discussing why I disliked Connor, and then suddenly you bring up American history out of nowhere, so I responded accordingly by saying that this is just a video game where historical accuracy is irrelevant. Not once did I say history should be rewritten, but for some reason you decided to make that logical leap. Jesus christ, I was talking about Connor but then you decided to make it all about history. Talk about derailing.
3) Connor sucks

Omni

Well, it seems I've misjudged the game. Upon first impressions I was ready to trade it in (because of the mess that is ACIII). A few hours of gameplay and I'm loving it. Weird. Not many games have changed my opinions of them.

Regardless. Where do I find my special edition content? On the box it says there is a single player mission called "Sacrificed Secrets" and something called "Captain Kenway's Legacy: Outfit and weapon". Can I do them whenever?

Scrabble

Jesus fucking christ, here you go again, making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

1) I'm not asking for anything.
2) I never advocated for an alternate version of history. All I was doing was discussing why I disliked Connor, and then suddenly you bring up American history out of nowhere, so I responded accordingly by saying that this is just a video game where historical accuracy is irrelevant. Not once did I say history should be rewritten, but for some reason you decided to make that logical leap. Jesus christ, I was talking about Connor but then you decided to make it all about history. Talk about derailing.
3) Connor sucks

lol chill bro, I didn't know bringing up American history in regards to AC3 would constitute as "me bringing it up out of no where." Seems to contextually be appropriate for the discussion, and sorry I mis-interpreted that tangent you went on. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, but whatever you win. Connor sucks.

Martian

Hmm seems the controls havent been fixed since 3. Is there at least less accidentally running onto buildings while you run away from guards?

Top Bottom