• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

ironcreed

Banned
I am really loving the views in this game and find myself anxious to find a new high perch or synchronization point so I can just spin the camera and enjoy the atmosphere for a few moments. I have not felt that since Brotherhood, but appreciate it here even more because of the whole sea vibe. You really know a game has it's hooks in you when you find yourself just sitting there staring out into the horizon over and over again.

glaurung

BOOM.

This.
Seconded. But even before getting to the story bits being poorly handled, for me the overall atmosphere of AC3 was simply too drab. Everything was grey and brown, it felt like chugging through a swampland of feces. The poor frame rate on the PS3 did not help either.

I have sank a lot of hours into Black Flag now (also on PS3) and so far it has been an awesome OCD-riddled ride. Just a few missions every night, some harpooning and some collect-a-thon, scouting those little islands with chests and animus fragments. It's great.

There is this little graphical nuance to the waves I really like - when sailing toward the sun, the topmost part of waves becomes transparent and gains a beautiful blue sheen. It's lovely.

This game also runs considerably better than AC3 did. At times the framerate surprises me (low fidelity areas).

I am really loving the views in this game and find myself anxious to find a new high perch or synchronization point so I can just spin the camera and enjoy the atmosphere for a few moments. I have not felt that since Brotherhood, but appreciate it here even more because of the whole sea vibe. You really know a game has it's hooks in you when you find yourself just sitting there staring out into the horizon over and over again.

Pretty much this. This is the first AC game since Brotherhood that totally grabbed me from the start. I see myself walking around the world, rotating the camera for every view. Hearing and seeing the world, sea and jungles feel alive by the ambient sounds. This game is in no way perfect, but it is definitely perfect if you compare it to AC3.

ironcreed

Banned
Pretty much this. This is the first AC game since Brotherhood that totally grabbed me from the start. I see myself walking around the world, rotating the camera for every view. Hearing and seeing the world, sea and jungles feel alive by the ambient sounds. This game is in no way perfect, but it is definitely perfect if you compare it to AC3.

Yeah, it still has the free running quirks of running up walls by accident and some frame dips here and there, but the game on the whole is just so damn satisfying. Slicker menu system, amazing atmosphere, huge world, so much to do and the perfect pacing in terms of feeding you those new things in order to keep the experience growing and fresh. It has the old AC feel and formula, only with the massive added pirate element that takes the series farther than it has ever been with ease. It's co-GOTY for me right beside The Last of Us.

HT UK

As someone who really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 1 -> Revelations, but really didn't like 3. (I never actually got through the horrific tutorial)

Do you think I'll enjoy Black Flag? Is there much story stuff that I missed during 3, that'll effect the experience of playing 4?

Fifty

As someone who really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 1 -> Revelations, but really didn't like 3. (I never actually got through the horrific tutorial)

Do you think I'll enjoy Black Flag? Is there much story stuff that I missed during 3, that'll effect the experience of playing 4?

Yeah, you'll like it, no question. You don't need to play 3 and it gets started much faster.

This game deserves a helluva lot more attention then it has now. It is flawed in the story departement but boy does it make up with the exploration and atmosphere.

ironcreed

Banned
This game deserves a helluva lot more attention then it has now. It is flawed in the story departement but boy does it make up with the exploration and atmosphere.

Yep, not many open world at sea games with a pirate theme. Hell, I actually can't even think of any others. This one does it so well, too. It's pretty special in my book.

Anyone heard anything about the PC performance of this game?

Should I stick with my PS4 purchase or cancel it and get it for the PC for $40 less?(Amazon shipping to Australia).

My specs:

Windows 7-64BIT
I7 2600K@ 4.6GHZ
SLI GTX 670 4GB GB Windforce edition
8GB DDR3@1600MHZ

For some reason I'm just scared about the game being unoptimized for PC,hopefully it is a good enough port.

Thanks.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay guys, I'm about 7 hours in and this game is pretty awesome so far.

The pirate theme really clicks with me, there's something incredibly satisfying just sailing the open seas. It's a remarkable feeling and I can't believe no one ever thought of this before. It's just so cool to sail around, spot an island, get close and just jump off your ship, explore the island and find some treasure, swim back to the ship and have your men cheer when you climb back on board.
I just unlocked the Homestead and the fleet mechanic, which is essentially the same as the Brotherhood "send out your assassins to parts of the world to do missions". But it works really well, it's fun to manage and entirely optional.
The game introduces new stuff really gradually, as opposed to ACIII's "here's a bunch of shit to do. You can do them or not I don't give a fuck".

Another thing that really stands out for me [and this is a total pet peeve of mine] is the user interface - menus are super fast and snappy, intuitive and logically to navigate. The aesthetics are very appealing even though I haven't really figured out why.

I did one official story-related assassination in my playthrough so far, side objective was to kill my target via air assassination. So I spent 20 minutes setting up the perfect situation, finally taking the leap and that asshole Edward auto-locks onto the wrong guy and fucking stabs the guy standing right next to my target - who's AI kind of borks while this is happening and is just standing there looking at me like he couldn't believe what the fuck just happened.
In the end I guess the enjoyment of this game is 100% dependant of wether or not you like the pirate setting. The core gameplay is still as stupid as ever with shit stealth, shit eavesdropping and shit scripted mission segments that 9/10 times pan out wrong because the AI messes up somehow.

ASTROID2

I went to four stores to try and find this for the Wii U and it was sold out at all of them. I had to order it and now I have to wait till fryday to play it. I guess it's good that it's selling on the Wii U though, at least around me it is.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I was not prepared to love this game as much as I do. Hell, I was even hesitant to get it. The open world at sea, atmosphere and ship battles are providing me with some of the freshest fun I have had in a very long time.

- Your crew singing the shanties you have collected as you sail the wavy seas with changing weather conditions.
- Searching for ships to attack and using your spy glass to get a read on what kind of ship it is, it's strength and what the rewards are.
- Being hunted by hunter ships when your wanted level goes up.
- The great music as you are engaged in battle and trying to outwit the other ships.
- Attacking and seizing beach forts.
- Upgrading your ship so you can face more badass ships for bigger rewards. You can of course give it nice cosmetic enhancements as well.

Seriously, there is nothing else like this right now and it has me absolutely hooked. While the core gameplay on land may remain the same, the open world sea aspect takes this series to another level. The naval missions in III were merely a tease of the better game to come with the idea behind it fully realized.

Dead

well not really...yet
Sailing on the sea, surviving a bunch of naval encounters until the morning and then sailing with the sun coming up and shining radiantly.

Shits amazing. Super impressed at how incredible the game looks even on PS3.

Toa TAK

Banned
Not a Reddit reader, but AMAs are always fun to read for me depending on who's being questioned.

Here's the one for Black Flag. May contain spoilers, but the devs were good about that.

Anival

Banned
So I'm guessing this is a lot better than 3? I'm wondering if I should pick this up at ps4 launch, apparently I can't transfer a reserve to Killzone but to any other ps4 game.

Fedelias

So its been a week after launch, what are your impressions guys? I'm on the fence about buying it after getting AC3 at launch. Better than AC3? How are the mechanics? How's the piratey feel?

Dead

well not really...yet
So I'm guessing this is a lot better than 3? I'm wondering if I should pick this up at ps4 launch, apparently I can't transfer a reserve to Killzone but to any other ps4 game.
This is easily one of the best games this year. Incredible world, really fun and satisfying naval gameplay, and they pretty much cleaned up all the clunky ui of 3 as well as vastly improved the pacing of the game and how the side content is woven in. It is much closer to AC2 in quality.

Serandur

I'm liking what I'm reading about this game, can't wait t play.
Anyone heard anything about the PC performance of this game?

Should I stick with my PS4 purchase or cancel it and get it for the PC for $40 less?(Amazon shipping to Australia).

My specs:

Windows 7-64BIT
I7 2600K@ 4.6GHZ
SLI GTX 670 4GB GB Windforce edition
8GB DDR3@1600MHZ

For some reason I'm just scared about the game being unoptimized for PC,hopefully it is a good enough port.

Thanks.

That machine is several times stronger than a PS4, there is no scenario in which it doesn't run this game at least as well as a PS4. There is little to worry about there.

Toa TAK

Banned
So I've never played an AC game before. Is this an ok game to get started on? It just sounds plain fun.

Story-wise you'll be lost, even for a few bits during the main historical game.

It's a fun game to play, though. I don't know if it would be a proper introduction to the series. I'm the kind of guy who before jumping into a series or franchise, starts from the very beginning and goes in order from there.

Toa TAK

Banned
So how essential did the hunting system turn out to be for getting through the game?

Not very, you can buy the necessary pelts or whatever through the stores at an expensive price in order to craft whatever you want.

Really, you can go through the game not crafting or upgrading Edward. Now the Jackdaw however, you REALLY should upgrade that.

Simo

So I've never played an AC game before. Is this an ok game to get started on? It just sounds plain fun.

As someone who played but didn't finish the first game and hasn't played an AC game since, I'm having an absolute blast with Black Flag. It starts with a pretty packed opening and the first "town" seems standard AC fare but once you get your ship you're sucked in for good and so far everything is getting better and better as you progress.

Speaking of your ship, I'm playing on 360 and the mission where you get it...man I was on the edge of my seat when
you're caught up in the storm and having to escape through it. With my surround sound cranked up and the old big TV that was a memorable epic event for me. Damn. lol

Takuhi

Not very, you can buy the necessary pelts or whatever through the stores at an expensive price in order to craft whatever you want.

Really, you can go through the game not crafting or upgrading Edward. Now the Jackdaw however, you REALLY should upgrade that.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Killing cute little animals just isn't my thing. :)

ironcreed

Banned
Haha, I agree. I didn't find out about that until waaaay later when I was almost done crafting armor.

Now if only I could buy metals for my Jackdaw...

Yeah, I had no idea until you mentioned it. Finding the animals and the ships with the materials you need is all part of the fun anyway. No short cuts for me.

Toa TAK

Banned
Thanks, that's good to hear. Killing cute little animals just isn't my thing. :)

I feel you. :)

Yeah, I had no idea until you mentioned it. Finding the animals and the ships with the materials you need is all part of the fun anyway. No short cuts for me.

What's going to kill me are the treasure maps. At least the game is nice enough to let you know if you're in an area where there is treasure as long as you have the map for it.

ironcreed

Banned
What's going to kill me are the treasure maps. At least the game is nice enough to let you know if you're in an area where there is treasure as long as you have the map for it.

Just read the coordinates and then dial it in on the main map. Boom, there is the island for that specific map.

I'm liking what I'm reading about this game, can't wait t play.

That machine is several times stronger than a PS4, there is no scenario in which it doesn't run this game at least as well as a PS4. There is little to worry about there.

Yeah I cancelled the PS4 version, saved myself $40 which is pretty good,I hope this game holds up to my expectations....AC3 was horrible.

greg400

Banned
Story-wise you'll be lost, even for a few bits during the main historical game.

It's a fun game to play, though. I don't know if it would be a proper introduction to the series. I'm the kind of guy who before jumping into a series or franchise, starts from the very beginning and goes in order from there.
Is 3 a decent starting point? Don't want to revisit the others as the time periods don't interest me that much.

Scrabble

Is 3 a decent starting point? Don't want to revisit the others as the time periods don't interest me that much.

Most people hate 3, so it might turn you off from the series. Though I'm a crazy person and think you should just start from the original, but 2 is an absolute must play. It's my favorite game this gen, and maybe of all time.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So, after playing AC3 and pretty much giving up once I got to Boston, I was pretty sure I wasn't getting 4 for the PS4. But after reading this thread, I'm excited enough for AC4 that I started up 3 again yesterday, and actually enjoyed myself.

Sure, I'll probably run thru the main story, and not bother with all the side stuff. And I might get bored again later, but feels good now.
AC2 was, together with Uncharted 2, probably my favorite game this gen. And the only game I've ever platinumed. Glad to hear that 4 is a return to form.

The fun thing is that no one expected this game to turn out this good because it is not the true successor to Assassin's Creed 3. It felt like a filler. A quick cash 'n grab by Ubisoft at the end of this console's generation for the gamers who never truly disliked the franchise.
It had all the signals for it. Small development time. Same ship and naval combat but more expanded. Less interesting story/character development. I guess that is where Ubisoft triumphed. The expectations were set so low that the only thing that could happen' was to go up, and it did.

It is in no way a perfect game. The missions do still involve some crappy eavesdropping and simple assassinations, but the improvement in stealth and different locales makes it a breath of fresh air. The missions so far has took me towards cities, jungles, temples and so forth.
You can not say this game ''feels and looks'' terrible if you have only watched some gameplay videos. The true power comes out when you play it at your own leisure. I caught myself casually walking around places, where as in AC3 the world was so lackluster the only thing I was tempted to do was either fast travel or run through it.

Dr Dogg

I think this is the right game to jump in at. All the 'other' stuff you may have heard about the present day takes a massive back seat for the most of Black Flag. New protagonist as well (though there are connections there but nothing to make you get lost) with a story that is not 100% self contained but the world is it's own and massive amount of fun to just go exploring and doing piratey things.

I'm going to agree with the folks who liked Connor, and just didn't like the story telling method. I would add the voice acting delivery as well, they should have let the actor be less monotone in his emotions. I get that's the character but a little bit more variance in it would have still carried that idea while being more interesting.

Personally I liked 3 a lot, better than I and II for me.

Saiyan-Rox

after 8 hours in I had to stop playing the slowdown in towns,the pop in and the constant sound vanishing just killed it for me. I was enjoying it but i'll keep my copy to do a digital upgrade hopefully it's a lot better in performance wise. other than those I was enjoying it altho I was just story missions didn't bother with any side stuff at all.

Carbonox

As I'm waiting until the PS4 version, can someone clarify if there is character customization? The lack of it in AC3 was annoying. The alternate skins were shite as well.

glaurung

As I'm waiting until the PS4 version, can someone clarify if there is character customization? The lack of it in AC3 was annoying. The alternate skins were shite as well.
Character customization is limited to the actual costumes.

Here's a short list from memory:
- The game detects your Uplay history and gives you Altair's robe, Ezio's robe and Connor's robe. All look awesome, if a bit out of place.
- Various colored variants of the regular hooded costume. Some feature minor design differences. Definite favorite - Privateer's Outfit - sleek and black.
- Some outfits that can be bought in stores - I bought one that had a massive crimson cloak instead of the ordinary smaller flaps.
- Crafted costumes. Whaling, hunting, stealth, etc.

Top Bottom