• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm in media blackout for the game and am wary of scanning through the thread for answers. It's surprisingly difficult to find a straight answer on this online.. Does this game support 3D or did Ubisoft dump it from the franchise?

I just checked the back of my PS3 version, no mention of 3D and no icons.

I'm in media blackout for the game and am wary of scanning through the thread for answers. It's surprisingly difficult to find a straight answer on this online.. Does this game support 3D or did Ubisoft dump it from the franchise?
No support. Technical reasons maybe? They did mention how developing the PS3/360 versions was a pain in the ass, so no 3D might've been a compromise.

Balphon

Still confused why this got a full number instead of a subtitle (e.g., AC4 not "Assassin's Creed: Talk Like a Pirate"). It doesn't really seem to move either the historical or present-day storylines along, which is what typically happens in numbered games.

Branding. AC3 underwhelmed a lot of people, so this was positioned as AC4 to give it more distance. If I recall right, this game was initially announced without the "4," so it's pretty evident that the decision to add it was made hastily around AC3's release.

Lima

Man this is the first Assassin's Creed that provides a serious challenge. Taking down the legendary ships without a fully upgraded ship takes all of your skills as a captain.

DrBo42

Need someone to help me out real quick. Just finished downloading it on PSN, should I start with the Aveline story or jump straight into the main game?

IISANDERII

PS4 version is getting 81 on Metacritics while PS3 is getting 88. Anybody know why? I was going to get this on PS4 but now I'm uncertain.

Lima

PS4 version is getting 81 on Metacritics while PS3 is getting 88. Anybody know why? I was going to get this on PS4 but now I'm uncertain.

It's a lazy port?

The game practically looks the same on both platforms. The PS3 is only missing some smoke effects and is obviously not 1080p native.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Branding. AC3 underwhelmed a lot of people, so this was positioned as AC4 to give it more distance. If I recall right, this game was initially announced without the "4," so it's pretty evident that the decision to add it was made hastily around AC3's release.

I agree this is the most likely reason. The numbered games usually see a large change in the historical setting. AC4 is only about 50-75 years before AC3.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's a lazy port?

The game practically looks the same on both platforms. The PS3 is only missing some smoke effects and is obviously not 1080p native.

What? No it's not.

- particle effects
- dynamic foliage
- way more foliage rendered
- increased sea wave dynamics
- drastically improved lighting engine
- drastically improved weather effects [including reflective surfaces and ripple effects]
- volumetric fog

The differences are mostly subtle but they're definately there. My PS3 version doesn't look like this in the slightest:

ibxIthEqd9qKs6.gif

iIdCZAFQcnuVe.gif

Special C

So How is the multiplayer? AC3 Multiplayer was surprisingly fun. I saw an article where they said they made it "more accessible" which throws up some red flags for me.

CHC

So if I've hated all Assassins Creed games aside from 1 (I didn't love it though) will I like this? For reference I loved Splinter Cell Blacklist and am pretty on board with the recent recent games Ubisoft has been producing.

Lima

So if I've hated all Assassins Creed games aside from 1 (I didn't love it though) will I like this? For reference I loved Splinter Cell Blacklist and am pretty on board with the recent recent games Ubisoft has been producing.

That depends. What exactly did you hate about AC going from II onwards?

Lima

so what are the technical problems of the current gen versions, PS3 in particular?

Framerate mainly. Drops to low 20s in the city sometimes just like Far Cry 3 but nothing too bad. The game looks incredible for current gen and runs at a smooth 30 most of the time.

Jedi2016

Probably just presentation. Reverse expectations, sort of... while the PS4 version looks substantially better, it's not really a full generational leap. What looks gorgeous for a PS3 game only looks "okay" as a PS4 game, and it doesn't fare so well when put up against other PS4 games.

If the releases were further apart, I probably would have already gotten this on PS3. But I only have to wait a few weeks to play the version with full 1080p, enhanced effects, and what I sure hope to be a rock-solid framerate.

I'm actually curious to see comparisons between next-gen console versions and the PC version. I think they're going to be very similar aside from framerate.

PS4 version apparently supports it, but I haven't seen it in writing yet. I hope to pick it up tomorrow, I can tell you then, at least from what it says on the box.

AC3's 3D implementation was absolute shit, and I'll only play it in 3D if it supports full native 3D instead of that piss-poor reprojection they used in AC3.

DrBo42

Framerate in the cities on PS3 is just unacceptable. Completely takes me out of the game. FPS drops pretty hardcore on some ship boarding sections as well. Really disappointing.

Framerate in the cities on PS3 is just unacceptable. Completely takes me out of the game. FPS drops pretty hardcore on some ship boarding sections as well. Really disappointing.

I haven't seen anything nearly as bad as what you're describing, and I'm pretty far in. I'm starting to wonder if the PS3 model has anything to do with the differences in performance some people seem to be experiencing. I've got a 320GB slim and I got a framerate dip in a certain part of Havana and some of Kingston, but other than that - nada.

glaurung

The dense city framerate can be bad, but I find it overall greatly improved over AC3. In there it was single digit frames, all the time.

What makes this even more jarring on the PS3 is when you climb a tall mast sync point and suddenly the framerate goes up to something like 66. Then you start to feel the chasm.

Having a lot of fun with this game, it feels like going back to the good old AC times, and that is for me ACII and AC:B. The only thing I don't like is boarding, is so frikin boring, most of the time I end up destroying the ships even if this means that the loot will be divided in half.

The present day looks like shit, but after the previous games is a refreshing present day and they provide a lot of info.

Edward is ok, not Ezio awesome but not Connor shit.

Lima

What makes this even more jarring on the PS3 is when you climb a tall mast sync point and suddenly the framerate goes up to something like 66. Then you start to feel the chasm.

I noticed that too. Seems like the framerate is unlocked while you sync.

Derrick01

Banned
What? No it's not.

- particle effects
- dynamic foliage
- drastically improved weather effects [including reflective surfaces and ripple effects]
- volumetric fog

The differences are mostly subtle but they're definately there. My PS3 version doesn't look like this in the slightest:

ibxIthEqd9qKs6.gif

iIdCZAFQcnuVe.gif

The more important question is does your PS4 version look like that? We are dealing with Ubisoft after all, the masters of bullshots and faked videos.

Lima

Not from the comparisons I saw. That is why I went with the current gen version. The difference was just too small. That and I couldn't wait to play the game of course.

BigDug13

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Of course, it's still just extra bells and whistles. Gameplay is the same.

Framerates that don't dip is better then "bells and whistles". So far just in Havana (on PS3 rented from Redbox), the framerate dips have been pretty extreme and has caused me to have some problems in my free-running stuff.

conman

It's basic math. The same sites didn't all review the same versions of the game. To get a true comparison, you'd have to have two different scores by the same exact sites, do those averages separately, then compare them.

Metacritic averages don't make sense if you use them the way you're trying to use them. I bristle every time I hear Pachter compare Metacritic scores for PS3 and 360 versions of the same game. As an analyst, he should understand basic math better than that. I can only imagine that he's purposely being disingenuous in order to create a false metric.

Having a lot of fun with this game, it feels like going back to the good old AC times, and that is for me ACII and AC:B. The only thing I don't like is boarding, is so frikin boring, most of the time I end up destroying the ships even if this means that the loot will be divided in half.

The present day looks like shit, but after the previous games is a refreshing present day and they provide a lot of info.

Edward is ok, not Ezio awesome but not Connor shit.

loving this, as well. just about everything i'd hoped it'd be, & a huge improvement over the last 2 games. & edward might be my favorite ac protagonist (possible very early story spoiler) :
really like him being a somewhat brash, naive opportunist, coming to the whole templar/assassin thing from the outside. usually dislike 'chosen one' type heroes, & edward's pretty much the antithesis of that...

people waiting for the next-gen version won't be disappointed. this absolutely is the pirate game you've been waiting for, & the traditional ac aspects
(so glad they went with liberation's 'abstergo' approach, & shit-canned the desmond stuff)
are so subdued that you might hardly even notice they're there :) ...

Played a few hours last night, really enjoying it so far. Gives you freedom very early in the game, and Havana is a better city to play in than any of them in AC3 by a long shot.

My initial impression is that the production values aren't as nice as AC3 (something that game did very well), which I thought was a bit odd. Having a lot of fun though.

LOL at the modern day setup!

Megasoum

Banned
Quick question guys,

So I got the PS3 version today through the Futureshop deal here in Canada. I have no intention of playing it on the PS3 since I will be upgrading to PS4 on friday.

So I know I have to enter that upgrade code on my PSN account to have access to the 50$ off the PS4 digital version. Now my question is, what do I do with the two other codes? The Limited Edition one and the Playstation exclusive content code? Do I enter them on PS3 and they will carry over automatically to PS4 or is that stuff included with every copy of the PS4 download, etc? What's up with that?

How is the story/characters for AC4? Is it an improvement over AC3?

I kinda had to force myself to complete AC3 since the plot and characters (especially Connor) were so uninteresting.

Lima

How is the story/characters for AC4? Is it an improvement over AC3?

I kinda had to force myself to complete AC3 since the plot and characters (especially Connor) were so uninteresting.

All over the place.

The characters are okay but the story is a fucking mess. You jump between locations, most of the things just happen and it is really unfocused.

The present day stuff is even more boring but hey it is very short and for the most part optional.

The game shines in the open world. Just doing stuff, hunting down collectibles, fighting other ships and so on.

Story is not the strong point of AC4.

All over the place.

The characters are okay but the story is a fucking mess. You jump between locations, most of the things just happen and it is really unfocused.

The present day stuff is even more boring but hey it is very short and for the most part optional.

The game shines in the open world. Just doing stuff, hunting down collectibles, fighting other ships and so on.

Story is not the strong point of AC4.

Well that sucks

I didn't really like the naval/ship combat and exploration in AC3. Don't really see a reason to pick up the game now.

CHC

That depends. What exactly did you hate about AC going from II onwards?

I hate how milked the franchise is, hate the padding with tons of collectible and meaningless side activities, not into the metaplot with the sci-fi elements. Basically I just want more "awesome pirate game" and less "Assassins Creed game"

Lima

I hate how milked the franchise is, hate the padding with tons of collectible and meaningless side activities, not into the metaplot with the sci-fi elements. Basically I just want more "awesome pirate game" and less "Assassins Creed game"

Well the pirate stuff is there but this is still very much an AC game. The world is filled with tons of collectibles for you to hunt down while also keeping the AC III stupid since there are collectibles with no rewards whatsoever. The combat is still the same and the game still has meaningless side stuff such as the naval and assassin contracts (at least you are free how you want to do them in this game).

It's kind of a mixed bag. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone that didn't like any AC after II though.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just as a counterbalance - I love the modern day stuff. There's some surreal meta-commentary going on all over the place. The design of the offices is awesome, and hacking co-workers' Animus pc reveals a lot of information regarding story and events in previous games.

It's primarily there for people who want to learn more of the overall story, and sans a few obligatory departures you're hardly ever forced out of the Animus.

sagat2036

Rented this from redbox (ps3) other day and loved it. I havent played any AC past AC2.

Ocean game play is fantastic i loved the ship battles. I got to diving bell in story, gonna have to continue this on the ps4 cause it definitly sold me on the game.

Still has that AC padding and jank but really dug the ship combat.

who dives for treasure in an ocean filled with sharks without a knife or spear, which you both have lol

Vizzeh

Banned
What? No it's not.

- particle effects
- dynamic foliage
- volumetric fog

ibxIthEqd9qKs6.gif

iIdCZAFQcnuVe.gif

It looks awesome, only negative is that I really haven't seen much of this in the gameplay footage! Seen some of it but its not AS evident as those gifs

Edit: why are UniSoft not pushing these vids

CHC

Well the pirate stuff is there but this is still very much an AC game. The world is filled with tons of collectibles for you to hunt down while also keeping the AC III stupid since there are collectibles with no rewards whatsoever. The combat is still the same and the game still has meaningless side stuff such as the naval and assassin contracts (at least you are free how you want to do them in this game).

It's kind of a mixed bag. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone that didn't like any AC after II though.

Thanks for the details, man, from the sound of it you saved me $60. I may pick it up on sale or be so lucky as to borrow it from a friend for a quick n dirty play through, but it doesn't sound like something I'll fall on love with.

Lima

And 100% done.

Took me a week. Loved every minute of it. Brian Taylor did an awesome job with the music, as I have already said my favorite AC soundtrack so far.

Now some multiplayer.

Jedi2016

No, dammit. All the places I went to here in town that were supposed to have it all said the same thing. "Yeah, we have it... for pre-order." FUCK YOU, says I.

So I won't be able to confirm what the box says until Thursday. I'll report back here on Friday once I get the system to tell you whether or not it actually runs that way.

The modern day segments in AC4 feel so bizarre to me. I was really turned off by them initially because it felt like I was touring Ubisoft's studio or something with
Assassins Creed posters, books, etc laying around everywhere.
I don't really like the whole
we're basically a player tester playing through the lives of Edward in order for them to get footage to make a video game
or... something like that. It just feels really weird.

Of course, I actually kind of liked the present-day Desmond stuff in previous games until AC3 fucked everything up. Or I should say, it had potential, but was never fully realized. But I liked the idea of Desmond slowly developing assassin skills from doing animus stuff, but then... yeah, that terrible AC3 ending. >.>

Lima

Of course, I actually kind of liked the present-day Desmond stuff in previous games until AC3 fucked everything up. Or I should say, it had potential, but was never fully realized. But I liked the idea of Desmond slowly developing assassin skills from doing animus stuff, but then... yeah, that terrible AC3 ending. >.>

I always thought that they would keep that going all to the point where you play with Desmond in a present-day Assassin's Creed at some point. Well yeah...

Top Bottom