• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Definitely wait for the PS4 version guys. There is an enormous amount of things to do - but you will get tired of the low framerate before you even completed half of it. The game is beautiful at times - but hardly on the PS3.

The game is far thus good, but if you can wait -do so.

I have way too much on my plate game-wise anyway, so waiting isn't a problem. I'm probably getting AC4 ( for the PS4 ) for Christmas.

Kiraly

I suppose tomorrow?

I am surprised not many people are playing it yet, Ubisoft (Netherlands) actually decided to push the release date forward and release it on the 26th.

I suppose tomorrow?

I am surprised not many people are playing it yet, Ubisoft (Netherlands) actually decided to push the release date forward and release it on the 26th.

Unless they absolutely cant wait to buy it, i don't see too many people going for the current gen versions over the next gen versions.

hell, I made the thread and i'm still waiting for the PC version.

i'd imagine this thread will pick up once we're a week away from next gen/pc versions.

Anyone know when the review embargo is up?

i believe tomorrow. that reminds me i'll need to update the reviews section in the OP tomorrow.

M.W.

Definitely wait for the PS4 version guys. There is an enormous amount of things to do - but you will get tired of the low framerate before you even completed half of it. The game is beautiful at times - but hardly on the PS3.

The game is far thus good, but if you can wait -do so.

Yeah, I'll wait for the PS4 version. I don't see the point of upgrading a game like this. By the 15th, most people should finish the game.

K' Dash

Does anyone know how big is this game on PS4? I see 30GB on PC, is it the same?

I was planning on playing KZ while AC is downloading.

Kiraly

I can't wait to fully upgrade my Jackdaw and wreck some shit on the open seas.

I like the game thus far, sailing and skirmishes on the water are pretty fun.

Logash

On tuesday. As far as I know for the PS4-version as well. Didn't hear anything about the XBO-version.

So we should know the final graphics resolution of one PS4 game on tuesday.

PS4 version is all I care about. In my search for the review embargo I came across a gameplay walkthrough that is 31 episodes in. How are people do that this early?

Raxious

Most people are waiting for next gen..

This.

AC IV wasn't really on my radar after the disappointment ACIII gave me, but after watching some trailers and that 'next-gen' trailer I'm planning on buying it. However, I'd rather wait a month to play a version that hopefully has a stable FPS, and is much better looking.

Kiraly

Yeah but I ain't getting a PS4 any time soon lads so just buy the game so we can have something to chat about in this thread :(

Rolfgang

Yeah but I ain't getting a PS4 any time soon lads so just buy the game so we can have something to chat about in this thread :(

Well, I've done the first mission after the tutorial, so I haven't played much yet, but so far I'm impressed. I don't even need to go on holiday anymore, Black Flag is sunny enough!

I ask this as one of the biggest Assassin's Creed fanboys on the planet but....

...does anybody find the concept of the DLC side-story announced for this game way, waaaaaaaaaaaaay more intriguing than Kenway's story?

Ashtar

I ask this as one of the biggest Assassin's Creed fanboys on the planet but....

...does anybody find the concept of the DLC side-story announced for this game way, waaaaaaaaaaaaay more intriguing than Kenway's story?
Me definitely but I'm from the Caribbean and I'm black .... I was hyped for ac4 bc I'm a big fanboy but that adewale dlc is going to be something special I can feel it.

Effect

It has been sort of worrying that hasn't been much talking in this thread but really what can be said? AC is a known quantity now. Those interested know what they're getting into and those new don't know enough to really talk a lot about it. Ubisoft has been releasing a lot of videos about the game so possibly a lot of talk and questions have just been taken care of ahead of time.

Derrick01

Banned
It has been sort of worrying that hasn't been much talking in this thread but really what can be said? AC is a known quantity now. Those interested know what they're getting into and those new don't know enough to really talk a lot about it. Ubisoft has been releasing a lot of videos about the game so possibly a lot of talk and questions have just been taken care of ahead of time.

I think it's that plus most are waiting for the next gen versions. I feel like I could already write up a review of the game and end up being roughly 70-80% correct just because AC games don't ever change much and all have the same problems. I came in here hoping to see some early impressions but I guess I should have expected most would hold off.

fernoca

Getting this from Amazon (the version with the extra pirate figure, and DLC) for the Wii U.

I'll admit that I haven't been very excited about this game, but still getting it because of how great the series turned out to be with the second game. Hopefully, my lack of hype will turn out into actual hype when I actually play the game.

Then again, Sonic Lost World and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures will be shipped by Amazon that same day too; so..who knows what I'll play more. :p

Sucks about the lack of DLC on the Wii U. Even more weird, when Batman Arkham Origins, which noone expected to have DLC on Wii U after the ambiguous info, lack of online multiplayer and the late/missing DLC-mess of Injustice (also published by WB) had preorder DLC and a Season Pass day one on Wii U. Guess ACIII DLC didn't sold much, since just Dance 2014 also from Ubisoft has DLC (and more content on Wii U).

cripterion

I was ready to buy this, had no idea it was releasing this late on pc. A big mistake imo, by that time I'll be in next gen console goodness, too busy with Ryse & NBA2K14 to care for this game.

Josam27o7

Neo Member
One thing they should bring back is the ability to look around in first-person view. You could do it from AC1 - Brotherhood (by clicking on the left stick). Then they took it out.

Did they bring back this ability back in any way?

Ahasverus

Also, LOL at
Abstergo being a game developer and the setting being chosen because pirates sell games

What? really?

Basta.gif

This is self parody now.

Linius

I can't wait to fully upgrade my Jackdaw and wreck some shit on the open seas.

I like the game thus far, sailing and skirmishes on the water are pretty fun.

It's so weird this game is already for sale in most shops in our country. Having a hard time deciding if I want to buy this or Arkham Origins in november. Not buying next gen anytime soon so Black Flag will definitely be played on a current gen console by me.

Kiraly

About 5 hours in.

This game is much better than AC3.

Does not come close to the holy trinity that is the Ezio trilogy though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I will get this on Wii U, but delaying it in Europe so close to Mario 3D gives me too little time to play it.

Rolfgang

About 5 hours in.

From what I've played so far and from what I've read about it, this game is miles better than Revelations. In my opinion it's around the same level as AC2 and ACB. The story is also way more lighthearted and Edward reminds me sometimes of the young Ezio.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Gemüsepizza;87795235 said:
Does anybody know at what time the embargo will end? 9 AM EDT?

It's at 10 AM CET tomorrow for us here in France, so 1 PST. (Unless I'm wrong in my calculation, we just changed ended DST this week-end)

Tactics18

About 5 hours in.

I'm at sequence 5, and played a lot of side missions.
It think it's on par with/the best in the series after 2.
And I hated 3.

I've played every Assassins Creed to Date. Creed 2 and Brotherhood were my personal favorites.

Assassins Creed 3 was one of the most disappointing games....ever.

I'm LOVING BLACK FLAG. I watched all the hype videos and left unimpressed. Now after 6 Hours in its been a hell of a ride! Now, I just need to see if the the game will take the often predicable "UBI" route and get boring, repetitive, glitchy, etc.

The honeymoon phase has been great. TONS of variations in gameplay. Best part is that most of the newly introduced systems work well. Haven't run into much jank.

Playing on 360 fyi.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've played every Assassins Creed to Date. Creed 2 and Brotherhood were my personal favorites.

Assassins Creed 3 was one of the most disappointing games....ever.

I'm LOVING BLACK FLAG.

So, you pretty much said how I have felt about the series. I've played them all, I really enjoyed 2, and Brotherhood was the height of the series for me...Never played revelations because that's when it started to just feel like they were milking that timeline a bit much. I put in over 12 hours into AC3, and I couldn't finish it. I hated the game so much at that point, that I just could not bring myself to play anymore of it.

I know I might be in the minority in this, but until AC revelations, and AC3, I enjoyed the Desmond story parts. I wanted to know more about what was happening, but...they just got so fucking lazy with it by the time AC3 was made, and it was so terribly written and obvious that it was badly thought out that I just lost interest completely.

Seeing as how you were also disappointed with 3, how come you're liking this game so much?

For anyone who's playing the game, how is the melee combat shaping up? I found the stuff in 3 to be very dull and frustrating compared to the earlier games.

Doffen

I've got the Xbox One version pre-ordered. Have no idea when I'll get it tho.
I've also have yet to complete AC Revelations and III.

Bladenic

Don't think I'll be getting it at release because I'm playing other games and there's a sale for it at Black Friday. But I'm definitely hoping for a AC2/B caliber experience, paired with the naval experiences from AC3 (the missions during stormy nights with huge tidal waves omgggg).

So, you pretty much said how I have felt about the series. I've played them all, I really enjoyed 2, and Brotherhood was the height of the series for me...Never played revelations because that's when it started to just feel like they were milking that timeline a bit much. I put in over 12 hours into AC3, and I couldn't finish it. I hated the game so much at that point, that I just could not bring myself to play anymore of it.

I know I might be in the minority in this, but until AC revelations, and AC3, I enjoyed the Desmond story parts. I wanted to know more about what was happening, but...they just got so fucking lazy with it by the time AC3 was made, and it was so terribly written and obvious that it was badly thought out that I just lost interest completely.

Seeing as how you were also disappointed with 3, how come you're liking this game so much?

I'll start with the character:
-The "pirate" theme fits perfectly. What I mean is that I don't "feel bad" doing bad things. Best way to explain is what I call the Niko Bellic effect. "Wants a better life, but murders hundreds. Playing as a pirate I can justify whatever I want to do.

For anyone who's playing the game, how is the melee combat shaping up? I found the stuff in 3 to be very dull and frustrating compared to the earlier games.
Combat has DRASTICALLY improved. AC3 somehow managed to completely fuck up a great combat system.

AC4's combat system is the best to date. Personally I feel that AC:BroHood had the best combat. AC3 is by far the worst in terms of combat.
+Lots of counter variations.
+Brutal finishing moves. Very satisfying.
+Unarmed and Hidden blade combat is better than ever.
+Have yet to run into any "cheese" enemy archetypes yet. AC3 was plagued with certain enemies that could only be defeated a specific way which made the combat boring.

-Still some janky animations. Nothing too bad.

How are the controls?

This is tough to answer so early. That might sound odd but Ubi has altered the controls in this series with every game. Often I felt it was downgraded. I remember in Brotherhood you had the option to "jump and grab" while climbing. Seems like this has been left out since Revelations, no idea why they did that... Streamline controls?

Something I haven't quite figured out is the jumping off walls during while free running. It seems this has been toned down. Before you panic you still can jump and changed directions while free running. There are just certain walls that don't "allow" you to perform this move. Still trying to figure out whats going on. My guess is the game prevents you from making this jump when there's chance it could kill you?

The big thing that matters is that I haven't felt like I'm "fighting" with the controls. Getting used to a few new traversing mechanics can take hours for me. There's sort of a flow I need to get into which each game. New environments, structures, shortcuts etc. AC4 has a blend of old tricks and quite a few new additions.

Sailing
Let me first state that I HATED the sailing portions in AC3. I cringed at the fact that AC4 would have such a huge focus on sailing.....

MY GOD....its easily the best part of AC4 for me. Whaling, hunting sharks, all out naval wars...and the ship boarding....bliss. Lots of fun ways to board disabled ships.

The ship controls take some getting used but once it clicks you'll be in pirate heaven. Sailing has enough depth to be its own game.

Keep in my mind these might sound like typical AC early impressions(lol) But Black Flag is doing a lot of good things right early on. Can't say the same for AC3. I kept playing that game just hoping for the game to get better and just got worse :(

Rolfgang

Halfway AC3 is just did the story missions, not caring anymore for side missions and other stuff. I could just blast through it, so I knew the ending and progress of the story. That game could have been so much better if Haytham was the main character, Connor was just a dull idiot.

In AC4 it feels to me that the combat has become harder, because enemies attack you more often and deal way more damage when they hit you (at the start it's 3-4 hits and then you're dead) and human shield now works properly, hooray! Also, the new gun controls (LT for aiming, RT for shooting and quickly hitting Y for chain shooting) are way, way, way better than that stupid gun system in AC3. Who invented that LT to aim and Y (!!!) to shoot system? I don't have three thumbs...

glaurung

In AC4 it feels to me that the combat has become harder, because enemies attack you more often and deal way more damage when they hit you (at the start it's 3-4 hits and then you're dead) and human shield now works properly, hooray!
I like reading this.

I thought the human shield mechanic worked in AC3 too, it's just that the game would not accept the button press at some junctures.

ekim

So I got the latest issue of the German mag Gamestar and they reviewed the console versions of the game. That said they usually only review PC games so they gave no final rating but a margin: 88-93% and they said it's the best Assassins Creed yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
+Have yet to run into any "cheese" enemy archetypes yet. AC3 was plagued with certain enemies that could only be defeated a specific way which made the combat boring.

Yeah, the brutish enemies in 3's main campaign were annoying to fight outside of cramped areas since they took a fair bit of whittling down before you could execute them, which quickly grew tedious -- at least in tighter spaces you could quite easily dispose of them using the environment (typically walls).

I'm still waiting on Ubi to remove the retroactive region-lock on the RU Steam subs. The matter was raised with Ubi's sales team more than a week ago now and there's been no news.

Top Bottom