• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Lime

On the build that I played at the ubisoft event there were tons of ships at sea you could destroy. When I got to notoriety level 3 one of the bounty hunters absolutely obliterated me because it managed to fire 3 or 4 broadsides in a span of several seconds. From what I saw the difficulty of ship combat should be way higher compared to the bare bones stuff in AssCreed 3.

*sigh*

I hate the stupidity of mass destruction of incredibly expensive and rare vehicles in games. Apparently everyone and their grandmother owns an expensive ship in the 18th century, which is easily mowed down by superhero guy.

Why not make ship combat rare and eventful? Make it difficult and strategic, toy with player expectations, and make them unique. Basically just take a look at Demons/Dark Souls on how to make player experiences important instead of this bullshit "ctrl+c ctrl+v" game design.

You just contradicted yourself with that statement. Breaking the guard of an enemy isn't a defensive attack, its offensive and opens enemies up for kills. I would say that the only enemy type which forces you on the defense are the elite grenadiers (or whatever they are called) as you can only really get through their guard by disarming them first. They show up rarely, and only if you have a full wanted level in a city.

You are nitpicking now and are also wrong. You can only use guard break against two special enemy types and it doesn't work against the two others. Guard break is also the only way to actually kill one of those enemy types as kill streaks and direct attacks do not work on them. Not to mention that once again you get punished if you try to attack them in any way that is not a guard break.

By limiting your options and punishing you for acting the game forces you to play defensively. Not to mention that there are two enemy types that are immune to attacks and guard breaks. Namely scouts and jaegers, except that unlike scouts the later are also immune to kill streaks and counters.

*sigh*

I hate the stupidity of mass destruction of incredibly expensive and rare vehicles in games. Apparently everyone and their grandmother owns an expensive ship in the 18th century, which is easily mowed down by superhero guy.

Why not make ship combat rare and eventful? Make it difficult and strategic, toy with player expectations, and make them unique. Basically just take a look at Demons/Dark Souls on how to make player experiences important instead of this bullshit "ctrl+c ctrl+v" game design.
Because that's not the kind of game Assassin's Creed is? It's about short and instant gratification, it's about rewarding the player for any minor action or accomplishment and constantly telling them how awesome they are. You are looking for something this franchise is not.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Two questions for anyone in the know.

1. Does the sword combat feel more like 3 or more like the 2 trilogy? Really hoping the later.

2. Is there a large amount of current day crap or just a cutscene or two at the start/finish?

These two questions basically 100% determine my purchase.

Two questions for anyone in the know.

1. Does the sword combat feel more like 3 or more like the 2 trilogy? Really hoping the later.
It's only a minor update of 3, so yes the game will play and control very similar or almost exactly the same as 3. Although it really depends on what "combat like 2" means to you.

Are there ANY details regarding the Wii U version of this game? Controllers supported, off tv play, etc? Also, they said it was a mix of current/next gen, right?
If I buy this digitally off of PSN for the PS3, then when the PS4 comes out, do I only need to pay $10 for a digital PS4 edition?

LuchaShaq

Banned
It's only a minor update of 3, so yes the game will play and control very similar or almost exactly the same as 3. Although it really depends on what "combat like 2" means to you.

In 2/brotherhood/revelations I never had problems doing what I wanted in combat.

3 it almost never did what I wanted when I timed a counter/parry etc but somehow ended up even easier than the easy combat of the 2 trilogy because just mashing attack was effective 95% of the time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So ugly.

2013-10-2822_15_05-wokbqmd.png

Kiraly

Nearing the end.

Present day stuff is much better.

I fucking love Kenway and the cast of this game.

Music is picking up!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm really curious how the Wii U version looks like. Probably won't be available on the US eshop at midnight, so we might get first impressions here from gaffers in 20 hours or so?

Based on the previous experiences, I don't think there will be many Wii U reviews on the gaming sites.

Kiraly

How is Kenway's story compared to the previous MCs?

He starts out pretty average and not anything special, but I kinda like him now and feel he is a much better character. Infinitely times better than Connor in every way.

Tailing characters and eavesdrop missions are still total bullshit, by the way.

I'm really curious how the Wii U version looks like. Probably won't be available on the US eshop at midnight, so we might get first impressions here from gaffers in 20 hours or so?

Based on the previous experiences, I don't think there will be many Wii U reviews on the gaming sites.
If it goes tonight I will try to post some "first hour or so" impressions tonight, otherwise tomorrow night.

(Unless it takes 18 hours to download like ac3 did)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it goes tonight I will try to post some "first hour or so" impressions tonight, otherwise tomorrow night.

Great, looking forward to that!

Eshop speeds have improved since launch and if you run into trouble you can always go for the pause/resume downloads until you hit a good mirror.

Still planning on picking up tomorrow, but my Triton's stopped receiving power from my Xbox, so I may be out of luck unless I can find something to get sound to come from my monitor to my speaker.

He starts out pretty average and not anything special, but I kinda like him now and feel he is a much better character. Infinitely times better than Connor in every way.

It wouldn't it be an AC game if they were not lol

First Assasins Creed game I'm not getting on release day...

same... but then i might get a nvidia card and this comes with it for free. i can't seem to get away from getting AC games one way or another >.>"

i guess i could flip it... but what the heck, not really that much else coming out this winter of interest.

anddo0

First Assasins Creed game I'm not getting on release day...

I've struggled this, but I won't either. I'm not a huge fan of navel warfare (which is 40% of the game). The rest of the game looks like an improvement over AC3. But I'll wait for sales.

I follow most games and usually know when games are coming out. I had no idea this was coming out tomorrow.

Having said that I also didn't realize BF4 releases tomorrow so maybe it's saying something about me just being ready for next gen and completely unexcited for these upcoming current gen releases.

I think about the only thing I'm looking forward to the rest of the year is Mario, and maybe South Park.

Alvarez

Banned
Hey, if I buy the digital PS3 version, will they somehow allow me to upgrade to the PS4 digital version for free?

I am so torn about AC4. I love the series, but I'd rather have the game on PC, and as usual Ubisoft is pulling its "huhuhu PC gets it late" card. The PS3 version will also be inferior to the PS4 version. AND the protag is ugly (sorry)! Grah.

At least now we can vote when we complete missions if we like it or not. Hopefully Ubi finally gets the hint.

hlhbk

i will probably rent WWE 2k14 and AC4 at redbox for midnight launch. If its good I will buy the PC version which I hope is going to have the next gen assests? BTW does anyone know if Redbox stocks at midnight and it shows up on their website?

graywolf323

Hey, if I buy the digital PS3 version, will they somehow allow me to upgrade to the PS4 digital version for free?

I am so torn about AC4. I love the series, but I'd rather have the game on PC, and as usual Ubisoft is pulling its "huhuhu PC gets it late" card. The PS3 version will also be inferior to the PS4 version. AND the protag is ugly (sorry)! Grah.

not free but it's only $10 to upgrade to the PS4 version

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...rade/cid=UP0001-CUSA00010_00-B000000000000108

Xander51

I am cautiously optimistic about this, though I didn't finish Revelations or 3. I so desperately wanted to like 3, and this game seems poised to be great. Embargo is up pretty soon right?

Check out the add-ons that showed up in the European PlayStation Store:
Assassin’s Creed®IV - Time saver: Activities Pack £0.79/€0.99/AU$1.45
This pack will save you time by revealing all of the activity locations on your map.

Assassin’s Creed®IV Time saver: Collectibles Pack £0.79/€0.99/AU$1.45
This pack will save you time by revealing all of the collectibles locations on your map. Note that you will still need to travel to these locations and beat the game play in order to get the rewards.

Assassin’s Creed®IV Time saver: Resources Pack £1.59/€1.99/AU$2.95
This pack with save you time by increasing your cargo capacity. Purchase of this pack gives you 250 units of metal, wood, cloth, sugar, and rum once you’ve reached sequence 4 in the game.

Assassin’s Creed®IV Time saver: Technology Pack £2.39/€2.99/AU$4.35
This pack will save you time by allowing you to skip all of the treasure map activities usually required to upgrade your ship. Your ship will be upgraded as if you completed the activities throughout the game.

What the hell, UbiSoft?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Meh, who cares. There is a market for that stuff. People want the option to make it easier, let them. Looking for more impressions here. =x

Squire

Banned
I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. It's not like it's on disc DLC or something. If you don't want the game to be easier, then don't give Ubi money to make it so.

Kiraly

What?! Where are all the "killing people" missions?

They are in, it just feels like every single fucking time beforehand you have to tail them to some random location - they even managed to fit in tail missions while on the ship.

I might have been frustrated yesterday night as I was trying to finish it but I did not get to it, I just hate these endlessly long tail missions where if you fuck up (and you will) you have to start all over again and listen to those slow men walk and bullshit.

I think I'm only like half a hour away from the end, will wrap it up today. Mission impressions and variety will be posted afterwards.

I absolutely rushed through the main story, it isaround 10-12 hours. But that is without hardly doing any side activities and exploring - my Jackdaw was vastly underpowered at the end of the game and you do really need to upgrade it to make a chance at some later missions.

Check out the add-ons that showed up in the European PlayStation Store:

What the hell, UbiSoft?

Holy shit what??? Are they insane? I mean I get that they want to earn additional money with DLCs, but even they must realise that they can't just cut a feature which was in the last games (buyable with ingame money) and put it in the store. That's just dumb from a PR point of view.

Top Bottom