• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
conman said:
Combat:
This has undergone some serious changes from game to game. I loved the ability to experiment with a bunch of different strategies in AC2. And even in AC1, there was a lot of room for trying new ways to kill. But in ACB, there seems to be a design acknowledgment that most people who play the game just use the counter attack over and over again (which I never did). So the new combo system favors that fast, simple response. It makes most of the other dozen forms of attack almost pointless. The focus on experimentation seems to have disappeared in favor of a more Batman-like speed and flow. Of course, it could be just me having lost patience with the prior game's experimental focus. Not sure.

Anyhow, just my running thoughts. I'm sure my opinion will change yet again by tomorrow. :lol

I feel like ACB is more experimental than the series has ever been, it's just in different areas. Stealth seems to have a much bigger focus with stuff like the poison darts and assassin calling, a group of 4 guards can easily be taken out silently just with some of Ezio's new tools.

Papercuts said:
I feel like ACB is more experimental than the series has ever been, it's just in different areas. Stealth seems to have a much bigger focus with stuff like the poison darts and assassin calling, a group of 4 guards can easily be taken out silently just with some of Ezio's new tools.
The only thing I need now is a sneak button.

I haven't noticed any issues on PS3 - game looks pretty good as well even though the Quincux or whatever. Still, gotta double-dip for PC version. The scenery in 1080p, curses it will be exciting.

Blue Ninja said:
The only thing I need now is a sneak button.

Was really hoping they'd add this to the game by now :(

jett

D-Member
I think I'm gonna go try to fullsync this game. Thankfully I 100%'d most of the missions during my regular playthrough. Just unlocked the
Desmond
skin. Pretty funny to play like that. :p

damn, I am laughing my ass off after playing the MP for about 2 hours. I got to lvl 15 already and so far I'm just slaying people. I prefer manhunt; working as a team is more fun IMO. What's great is that if you play the game right you have a huge advantage. I got a triple escape and stunned 2 more with my disguise in the last match. Honestly the whole game is just full of hilarious moments.

I do have a question: is it worth more to stun a person then get killed or just ignore them?
I've noticed the tactic of just having one person guess wrong then kill the target after they stun the teammate.

jett said:
I think I'm gonna go try to fullsync this game. Thankfully I 100%'d most of the missions during my regular playthrough. Just unlocked the
Desmond
skin. Pretty funny to play like that. :p

Wish I could do that. If I don't get fullsync, I immediately redo the mission over and over until I get it.

conman

Snapshot King said:
I'll eventually play through the previous ones again, and I gotta say, I'm kind of lost with what you mean by experimenting. There's combo kills, but they're useless compared to counter kills. Grabs never did any damage unless there was scaffolding around...so like, what're you talking about with dozens of other attacks?
For the first game, most people never realized how many different attacks and defenses there were. You had to be an "experimental" player to learn how to use them. Things like guard-breaks, lunges, evasions, offensive combos, multi-enemy combos, grabs, aerial attacks, and so on. Then when you start messing with the different weapons, you end up with a whole slew of new timings and possibilities. Most people missed all of this (and a bunch of other amazing game features in AC1) because they insisted on just using the counter-kill over and over.

Then in AC2, on top of all the attacks in the first game, they introduced a whole mess of new weapon types, throwing knife combos, bullet combos, sand-throwing, disarms, smoke bombs, etc. And on top of that, they introduced different enemy types that responded differently to different attack strategies. But, like in the first game, most people who played the game never realized any of this because they stuck to the counter-kill for most of the game.

In ACB, you can still do all of that, but the group dynamics on the enemy AI doesn't allow for it. If you go into an offensive combo, another enemy will almost always interrupt you. Same goes for evasions, disarms, grabs, and so on. The group AI has become too aggressive to allow you to do anything other than counter-kill. The designers likely saw this, so they introduced the execution combos to try to make up for the loss of the other combat possibilities.

Even though you can still do all of those old attacks, they don't fit into the combat design anymore. Just about the only combat abilities you can viably use are counters, execution combos, guard-break stomp, sneak attacks, and assassin attacks. Now, clearly that's still quite a bit of variation available, but not nearly as much as there used to be.

But as I said, there's a lot of incredible new design approaches here--especially in the stealth aspects of the game. There's nothing more satisfying than sneaking into a well-fortified base surrounding a Borgia Tower, then finding and killing the captain undetected. Those sections are simply some of the best game design in any open-world game ever.

conman said:
For the first game, most people never realized how many different attacks and defenses there were. You had to be an "experimental" player to learn how to use them. Things like guard-breaks, lunges, evasions, offensive combos, multi-enemy combos, grabs, aerial attacks, and so on. Then when you start messing with the different weapons, you end up with a whole slew of new timings and possibilities. Most people missed all of this (and a bunch of other amazing game features in AC1) because they insisted on just using the counter-kill over and over.

Then in AC2, on top of all the attacks in the first game, they introduced a whole mess of new weapon types, throwing knife combos, bullet combos, sand-throwing, disarms, smoke bombs, etc. And on top of that, they introduced different enemy types that responded differently to different attack strategies. But, like in the first game, most people who played the game never realized any of this because they stuck to the counter-kill for most of the game.

In ACB, you can still do all of that, but the group dynamics on the enemy AI doesn't allow for it. If you go into an offensive combo, another enemy will almost always interrupt you. Same goes for evasions, disarms, grabs, and so on. The group AI has become too aggressive to allow you to do anything other than counter-kill. The designers likely saw this, so they introduced the execution combos to try to make up for the loss of the other combat possibilities.

Even though you can still do all of those old attacks, they don't fit into the combat design anymore. Just about the only combat abilities you can viably use are counters, execution combos, guard-break stomp, sneak attacks, and assassin attacks. Now, clearly that's still quite a bit of variation available, but not nearly as much as there used to be.

But as I said, there's a lot of incredible new design approaches here--especially in the stealth aspects of the game. There's nothing more satisfying than sneaking into a well-fortified base surrounding a Borgia Tower, then finding and killing the captain undetected. Those sections are simply some of the best game design in any open-world game ever.

That's all well and good, but none of those were ever as effective as the counter kills. Thus kind of useless. I'm having more variety in the combat now, especially since you can now do double kills with the gun or throwing knives.

Just beat it. Great experience and better than AC2. More stealth elements, improved combat, more to do that doesn't actually feel like filler....awesome.

AC3 needs the following...

A stealth/cover button
Manual aiming for ranged weapons
Combat in multiplayer modes

One thing that would improve combat would be larger variety in enemies, and making some of the things you're able to do with the system harder. For example the timing for counters should be far less forgiving and result in you taking more damage if you miss, and the execution stringing should be a limited powerup ability like the God of War and Force Unleashed meters that make you godlike once in a handful of battles.

Good news is that all of this should be a piece of cake for Ubisoft to implement. I look forward to the next game.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'd hate to start a console war, but has anyone noticed if AC:B runs at a better framerate on 360 than PS3? I played AC2 on 360 and now I'm playing brotherhood on PS3 and I feel like there's a lot more tearing and fewer fps. Is it my imagination?

Gileadxv

Banned
I was getting so frustrated with the hit detection in Call of Duty: Black Ops, I ended up going out and renting Brotherhood. What a welcome relief it's been! I may have to try and find a Black Friday deal and permanently purchase it. I love taking my time and slowly taking over the city. This is one of those few games where it's all about the journey, and not so much the destination. I was skeptical that Brotherhood could be a decent follow up with just one year after the stellar AC2, but consider me a believer :D

Revolutionary said:
When the goddamn Stun doesn't work when it should, yes.

Otherwise, it's fun as hell and I love it.

Assassinations always beat stun. Always. You have to catch the player off guard or else they can mash it out and beat you.

LiK

I just beat the SP. HOLY SHIT at ending, awesome game. 32 hours of epicness and i didn't even finish all the sidequests. LOVE THIS GAME.

totally worth the monies if you loved AC2.

dwebo

Snapshot King said:
Assassinations always beat stun. Always. You have to catch the player off guard or else they can mash it out and beat you.
I wish you could just stun any npc, like assassinate. Right now, stun only pops up on people contracted to kill you, which is an advantage in a few circumstances. I'm still trying to get the hang of poisoning people, but it's a bit finicky and I'm getting stunned more than I'd like :lol

jett

D-Member
LiK said:
I just beat the SP. HOLY SHIT at ending, awesome game. 32 hours of epicness and i didn't even finish all the sidequests. LOVE THIS GAME.

totally worth the monies if you loved AC2.
Yes, any AC fan should love this game from top to bottom. It's probably the best realization of every element that has been introduced in the franchise. Gotta say that I love how, for once, stealth takes center stage in an AC game. :p

Have to admit I was wrong and that Ubisoft surprised me delivering a AAA AC game in less than a year...do take 2 years to make the next one though plz. :p

Finally started playing this. I did an awesome tower leap onto some poor bastard guard and ran my wrist blade through his throat. :lol

How much of GAF is going to do the multiplayer? One podcast made it sound pretty awesome and the tutorial itself showed that it could be a really fun experience. Doesn't feel tacked on at all.

jett

D-Member
Gooster said:
Finally started playing this. I did an awesome tower leap onto some poor bastard guard and ran my wrist blade through his throat. :lol

How much of GAF is going to do the multiplayer? One podcast made it sound pretty awesome and the tutorial itself showed that it could be a really fun experience. Doesn't feel tacked on at all.

I have little interest in MP, maybe it'll grab me later. Frankly everything about MP feels unpolished and extremely disconnected from SP. Visuals are completely different, controls are different, presentation is super rushed(what the hell is up with those low-res 2D assets), matchmaking is kinda crap. I dunno.

dwebo

jett said:
I have little interest in MP, maybe it'll grab me later. Frankly everything about MP feels unpolished and extremely disconnected from SP. Visuals are completely different, controls are different, presentation is super rushed(what the hell is up with those low-res 2D assets), matchmaking is kinda crap. I dunno.
By different, you mean much better right? :lol It runs smoothly, never tears, and some of the levels (Siena, Venice) are downright gorgeous. I dunno what low-res 2d assets you're talking about either.

Matchmaking is assuredly crap, though.

jett

D-Member
dwebo said:
By different, you mean much better right? :lol It runs smoothly, never tears, and some of the levels (Siena, Venice) are downright gorgeous. I dunno what low-res 2d assets you're talking about either.

Matchmaking is assuredly crap, though.

I didn't say it looked bad, just completely different, which ties into what I said about it feeling disconnected from the main game. And of course it runs smoothly with no screen tearing, all the enclosed areas of AC:B run well too. :p

I'm talking about the menus and icons btw. Looks awful.

jett said:
I didn't say it looked bad, just completely different, which ties into what I said about it feeling disconnected from the main game. And of course it runs smoothly with no screen tearing, all the enclosed areas of AC:B run well too. :p

I'm talking about the menus and icons btw. Looks awful.

Different or disconnected or not, it plays great and it's a blast.

Amir0x

Banned
of course it's disconnected, it's literally Abstergo simulations :lol

I really dig multiplayer, although I doubt I'll spend enough time to get to lvl 50 in it

Amir0x said:
of course it's disconnected, it's literally Abstergo simulations :lol

I really dig multiplayer, although I doubt I'll spend enough time to get to lvl 50 in it

I just got out of a game that had two level 44s in it. How the fuck does this happen.

Zertez

I was in Best Buy and Wal-Mart today, and I have never seen so many copies of one game on the shelves. Even CoD or Halo did not get the same amount of space for any release. Both stores had at least 70 if not 100 copies for each system on the shelves, and Best Buy had a separate cardboard stand with another 40 copies for each system on it. Guess if the game doesnt sell great this Christmas, we can expect a price cut just so stores can clear space. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is there an easy way to get the multiplayer trophies?

dwebo

Revolutionary said:
I'm 46. :(

...but I've had it since Sunday.
KdoubleA said:
I'm level 47....You're not lying :lol
So what's the silent hunt perk do? Level 42 is so far away :lol

As far as trophies go, you should be able to grab most of them just from playing normally (since you have to get to 50 anyway). You'll probably need a partner to get all the co-op bonuses in one game, though. Or you could just keep playing manhunt and hope you get lucky.

Double D

Sitting through the credits right now. Missed
what was said during them. Got up to take a leak. Anyone remember what was said? Also, I'm kind of assuming there will be something else when they finish...

Edit: guess not. Huh.

KdoubleA

dwebo said:
So what's the silent hunt perk do? Level 42 is so far away :lol

As far as trophies go, you should be able to grab most of them just from playing normally (since you have to get to 50 anyway). You'll probably need a partner to get all the co-op bonuses in one game, though. Or you could just keep playing manhunt and hope you get lucky.

If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't let your stealth meter fall from silent to discreet as quickly. I guess it's good if you wanna do a little quick run towards a further target...like one you threw a knife at and trying to get to him before he recovers and flees.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well I'm for multiplayer partnering for the trophies. If anyone wants to partner up, just PM me.

Bebpo

Banned
Do you get anything game-wise for clearing VR challenges (besides the trophy for 3 golds)? Seems kind of a waste if you don't bring anything back to the main game from accomplishing them. They should give you money or unlock bonus items or something.

jett

D-Member
Bebpo said:
Do you get anything game-wise for clearing VR challenges (besides the trophy for 3 golds)? Seems kind of a waste if you don't bring anything back to the main game from accomplishing them. They should give you money or unlock bonus items or something.

Complete all the challenges, doesn't matter the ranking, and you get a
Raiden from MGS4
skin.

Double D

Bebpo said:
Probably not a spoiler but you get
a Raiden (mgs4) skin (outfit)
for bronzing everything

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ULTROS! said:
Is there an easy way to get the multiplayer trophies?

If you get a boost buddy, you can easily get all of them except for the lvl 50 one in player match.

dwebo

KdoubleA said:
If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't let your stealth meter fall from silent to discreet as quickly. I guess it's good if you wanna do a little quick run towards a further target...like one you threw a knife at and trying to get to him before he recovers and flees.
Thanks. I guess that could pretty useful, especially in regular wanted. Everybody runs around like idiots in that mode :-/

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
what can i do in the
present?

Check e-mails, explore outside and talk to the peeps. I recommend leaving the animus at least once per sequence, all the characters get new dialogue.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jett said:
Check e-mails, explore outside and talk to the peeps. I recommend leaving the animus at least once per sequence, all the characters get new dialogue.
i want to
blow up the van or something

is there anything to explore?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Loving this game, just loving it. The combat system is awesome and its nice to see stealth implemented so well.

timkunedo

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I haven't noticed any issues on PS3 - game looks pretty good as well even though the Quincux or whatever. Still, gotta double-dip for PC version. The scenery in 1080p, curses it will be exciting.:(

I noticed just a tad bit of framerate slow down as soon as you get to Rome, but that's it. Once you are in Rome proper it is smooth.

timkunedo said:
I noticed just a tad bit of framerate slow down as soon as you get to Rome, but that's it. Once you are in Rome proper it is smooth.

Yeah I'm on the PS3, I had it freeze up on me for a good 5 seconds, twice, then it was fine, some framerate slow down, and when ever I buy a new weapon Ezio disappears and there is just a floating sword, then he comes back, kinda weird.

Definitely not hindering my enjoyment on the game though. Also mutiplayer is really fun. Are the team modes any good, I've only been playing "wanted" I'm at level 6 right now, about an hour of play time.

jett

D-Member
DevelopmentArrested said:
Combat is just terrible. Bash X to win. Ugh.
Rest of SP is good though. So is Wanted MP.

Nah it's totally awesome. :p Combat has never been hard in these games, why pretend anymore. They unleashed the badassery with Brotherhood. The killing animations with the dagger are amazing. The new kicking thing is worse than the killstreaks, in my opinion. It breaks the defense of every enemy in the game. I don't like it personally, I enjoyed moving around in the fights in AC1/2, trying to flank the enemies. Can't do that anymore.

Top Bottom