• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

mysticwhip said:
For those that have played both
which is more worthy of my money : AC:B or BLOPS? either would be the PS3 version.
Well, Blops SP is complete and utter shit so you'd only be playing it for MP. Do you have a lot of PS3 friends who play that you'll be playing with?

ACB, on the other hand, has both great (and lengthy) SP and very fun MP so.. yeah. If you have a few ACB friends, you'll get quite a bit of enjoyment out of this one. Oh, and it isn't 540p on PS3!

Irish

Revolutionary said:
Well, Blops SP is complete and utter shit so you'd only be playing it for MP.

Best CoD campaign by far; WaW still has the best MP to me.

Still, Brotherhood's SP is so much better than BlOps even though the mission structure is as generic as it was in ACII.

Sanic

I've been taking my time with the SP (something I regrettably did not do with ACII) and am roughly halfway through at this point, but I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed with both the story and the gameplay to a certain extent. It's not bad (far from it), but feels very...by the numbers. Perhaps I just wasn't all that interested in exploring Renaissance Italy again. Experiencing the world hasn't been nearly as exciting because, well, i've seen much of it already just a year ago. The additions to the gameplay have felt mostly superficial so far as well.

I've heard good things about the endgame, so hopefully things will turn around.

rataven

Just reached level 30 in MP and it's getting more interesting. Only thing that's really bugging me is that more people are taking to the roofs, which is of course part of the point, but for slow, stealthly, blending-into-the-crowd-on-the-ground me, it sucks. haha.

conman

I think I'm far enough into the game now (~20hrs) to pass judgment on how ACB fits into the series. Even though AC1 holds a special place in my heart, I have to admit that ACB is the better game.

My hesitation has been mostly because of the way Ezio's main quest-line is structured. I wasn't a fan of how the main missions were structured (or not structured...) in AC2, but I've gotten far enough into ACB that I can see a much clearer sense of rising and falling action. Once the story picks up (~10hrs in for me), the bigger picture becomes clearer and begins informing the way the missions are laid out. I also think that playing this game immediately after AC2 would give Ezio's opening hours in ACB a greater sense of urgency. As it stands, the first few hours in Rome are completely unfocused and without direction.

I also realize now in retrospect that a big part of why I may have felt that the mission structure in AC2 was so "meandering" is because of the two excised sequences (later released as DLC). It meant that for certain large chunks of the game there was not much to do but wander aimlessly (in Forli in particular). Playing through ACB and seeing how well it all fits together, I feel like I need to replay AC2 but with the DLC this time around. I think their absence may have compromised the game's mission structure and pacing in a big way (though reviewers and other gamers didn't seem to mind as much as I did).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
rataven said:
Just reached level 30 in MP and it's getting more interesting. Only thing that's really bugging me is that more people are taking to the roofs, which is of course part of the point, but for slow, stealthly, blending-into-the-crowd-on-the-ground me, it sucks. haha.

Why would people take to the roofs once they play with the game more? I don't understand how you earn points that way. =/

megalowho

Just finished single player last night. Great game, couldn't put it down despite the fact that Ezio's story here probably didn't need a whole game to tell. It's still fun just doing all the cool things there are to do in Rome, there's certainly a full game's worth of content packed in here and I have lots of reasons to go back in the world.

The Desmond aspects were enjoyable and interesting for the most part, except now that he has more to say I'm unfortunately finding him way too Nolan North-y. That vocal style worked for Desmond in a limited role, but in Brotherhood
and specifically in the platforming sequence with Lucy
all I picture is Nolan North in a recording booth, reading roguish yet charming dialog lines. Hope he and the writing staff tone that down a bit as the series continues.

dwebo

rataven said:
I've found people do it a lot less in advanced wanted, I guess since it's much harder to stay on the roofs and score points. But yeah, once you get more tricks and want to play stealthier, the people that don't really get annoying.

Irish said:
Best CoD campaign by far
ACE 1991 said:
Don't listen to this hater! It's a great campaign
You two must not have played it on Veteran. :lol
It exposes the glaring faults in the SP and the way it's structured. Awful respawning enemy setpieces, shit AI, horrifyingly vague instructions at times (hey we need to push forward but I'm not going to tell you that you need to press the action button on those 3 barrels in order to do so - good luck!), etc.
It's a piece of shit and Treyarch should feel very, very ashamed in themselves. But, they won't be since everyone bought it anyway. :lol
I guess you could say the story is okay (if not confusing as shit/nonsensical at first), but Sam Worthington's Australian accent popping out every 5 lines was hard to ignore. Meh.
I still like the MP, though - despite horrible PS3 visuals and performance.

Anyway, serious tangent there, but the answer to his question is without a doubt: ACB.

rataven

ZealousD said:
Why would people take to the roofs once they play with the game more? I don't understand how you earn points that way. =/
It could just be that more people are comfortable taking shortcuts with the roofs, since you can pretty freely run up there, and it's easy to spot anyone who's chasing you. I just don't like having to chase my target up there, because then I'm out in the open too.

Irish

Revolutionary said:
You two must not have played it on Veteran. :lol

Obviously. Veteran on any of the CoDs is just an aggravating affair that's not worth the time or effort.

Revolutionary said:
Anyway, serious tangent there, but the answer to his question is without a doubt: ACB.

Agreed.

Phenomic

Quick Question. Not much of a spoiler but going to tag it anyway. <--- Paranoid Ninny.

Anyway,
Are all the artifacts findable with Desmond at the beginning of the game or do you have to trigger something for more of them to appear? Found 3/5 and I don't want to look them up but I'm having a hard time finding them so I wanted to make sure I'm not running around like an idiot when they aren't available yet

Amir0x

Banned
Apparently I was doing so awesome in this game trying to rid the church of the evil of the Borgia, that God loved me and allowed me to ascend to heaven. Literally I'm strolling minding my own business and out of nowhere Ezio just started floating up slowly, continually floating up, float float floating up all gracefully :lol

EzioAscendstoHeaven.jpg

Ezio Ascends to Heaven upon the Holy Chariot of Enoch

EzioisJesusChristReincarnated.jpg

Apparently God didn't know I was afraid of heights

EzioGoestoMeethisMaker.jpg

oh jesus chr--...oh that's me... I mean oh Ezio Auditore...you know what nevermind

rataven

Snapshot King said:
Does anybody know how poison works in multiplayer? I haven't unlocked it yet and sometimes I just drop dead for no reason.
You have to get close enough to your target to touch them, then a few seconds later they'll drop dead. It's good for scoring points since you'll likely also be incognito.

fernoca

Love this one: :lol
Amir0x said:
And quite surprising that if you choose to go around through the city in foot or horse, there's basically no loadtime from one end to the other. On top of going through the roofstops.

Is what I was doing yesterday. Sending my assassins to missions (only one need one more to go to the Assassin Rank); while waiting I was around the city, buying everything.

Hixx

Game just froze for me on the first assassin recruiting mission. Shit myself cos the console just completely locked up and was expecting a e74 or whatever but looks like it was just the game, rebooted the console and things seem ok.

Xbox better not break, I'm just about to order a new pc monitor and don't want to have to make the choice between monitor or new 360 :(

Phenomic said:
Quick Question. Not much of a spoiler but going to tag it anyway. <--- Paranoid Ninny.

Anyway,
Are all the artifacts findable with Desmond at the beginning of the game or do you have to trigger something for more of them to appear? Found 3/5 and I don't want to look them up but I'm having a hard time finding them so I wanted to make sure I'm not running around like an idiot when they aren't available yet
They're all there from the start.

HixxSAFC said:
Game just froze for me on the first assassin recruiting mission. Shit myself cos the console just completely locked up and was expecting a e74 or whatever but looks like it was just the game, rebooted the console and things seem ok.

Xbox better not break, I'm just about to order a new pc monitor and don't want to have to make the choice between monitor or new 360 :(

It's crashed about three times in the 30 or so hours I've put into it, I thought the same thing too. Games not fully QA'd, probably due to the amount of content vs the amount of time.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
fernoca said:
Love this one: :lol

And quite surprising that if you choose to go around through the city in foot or horse, there's basically no loadtime from one end to the other. On top of going through the roofstops.

Is what I was doing yesterday. Sending my assassins to missions (only one need one more to go to the Assassin Rank); while waiting I was around the city, buying everything.
Basically the game has the whole city in memory, only in just the lowed level of detail (which is good enough when seen from a distance, as shown in this picture. It streams and swaps in/out higher quality lods from the dvd/bd/hard drive when it needs them, and it can be pretty noticeable at times. That's the reason why "teleporting" from one end of the map to another requires a loading. It's not just loading one LOD for a specific zone like it happens when moving around, it's swapping all of them for another set.
Still a highly impressive engine.

HixxSAFC said:

game seems a lot glitchier than AC2 from what I've played

Pachimari

Hmm... How can I see if the missions I select are primary missions and progress the story or just simple side-missions? The ones I take are marked with a "!" symbol on the map but there are various of those to choose from.

ZealousD

Anastacio said:
Hmm... How can I see if the missions I select are primary missions and progress the story or just simple side-missions? The ones I take are marked with a "!" symbol on the map but there are various of those to choose from.

Sometimes you can choose the order in which you can do story missions. If it's marked with an "!" than it's a main story mission.

Anastacio said:

Exclamation point missions are story based. Everything else is extra.

Speaking of extra missions though, I'm thrilled all the assassination, courtesan etc missions are all totally different now and even have hooks into the main plot.

fernoca

Anastacio said:
Only early in the game, multiple '!' missions appear, because they all are tied to the story. Once you do them, only one '!' is going to appear in the map.

Secondary missions are usually:
  • Flower logo = Courtesans
  • Target = Mercenaries
  • Book = Thieves
  • Abestergo
    logo = Templars
  • Broken Heart =
    Christina
  • Letter L =
    Leonardo DaVinci

BeeDog

Just played the PS3 version at a friend's house. Holy shit does the performance suck in this game. Noticeably worse than in AC2 it seems (or my memory's playing tricks). There was a constant microstuttering of sorts that really prevented me from getting into the game.

Pachimari

Thanks guys, I guess it was the same in the predecessors - gotta save my memory in an Animus 3.0 lol!

Sitting here with the review copy, gotta play it all through and I'm not really in the mood even though I really like the series, guess I got tired of the italian setting - I'll force myself through it, eventually I'll enjoy it. =)

fernoca

The only "bug" that I've found (and don't know if it is one actually) is that every time I quit the game and then return; I lose my parachutes. So I have to buy them all again.

fernoca said:
The only "bug" that I've found (and don't know if it is one actually) is that every time I quit the game and then return; I lose my parachutes. So I have to buy them all again.

I've fallen through the world once, which was pretty bad.

Had another great MP session lat night. It still feels like most people aren't getting the idea and still run around too much. Oh well, just more kills for me :p

I realized that I've been waiting for a MP game like this for a long time. Just the idea of pretending to be a NPC to trick the other players is great. I always thought it would be a great concept for an espionage game. After last night though I think I can already tell the MP will grow old quickly. It's a simple premise and it's spread across 4 very similar modes so I don't know if I'll stick it out until lvl 50.

Wow, so I'm 4 Cristina missions in, and
holy shit Ezios a fucking dooouuuchebag. Can't believe he's messing with this chicks head like this.

I think I need to take a break. All the strict fail states combined with game mechanics that work 8 times out 10 can get rather frustrating sometimes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The game still looks great, though it's not as mindblowing anymore (like AC1 was in 2007). Also the performance just seems worse, and WAY worse on horseback.

ZealousD

Lostconfused said:
Ahaha wow. Apparently if you don't have any throwing knives, you can't use your knife/dagger. Hilarious what kind of bugs make it through QA.

There are throwing knives in the game?

Kidding. I know they're there. But why would you use them when you have the crossbow?

Xater

Just finished the SP and the game was fun as hell. I did not leave the Animus once though. :lol

Ther also is still so much to do. It seems like they cramed way more side stuff into this one comapred to AC2.

jett

D-Member
Xater said:
Just finished the SP and the game was fun as hell. I did not leave the Animus once though. :lol

Sux for you, you missed out on a lot of neat character interaction with your crew.

LiK

Snapshot King said:
Throwing knives can hit multiple targets at once.

i forgot about that! it caused me to screw up Full Synchronization at the end of one mission cuz there were two guards. so annoyed cuz it was a long mission to stay undetected and after i used the crossbow the other guy saw me.

LiK said:
i forgot about that! it caused me to screw up Full Synchronization at the end of one mission cuz there were two guards. so annoyed cuz it was a long mission to stay undetected and after i used the crossbow the other guy saw me.
I am not sure if the throwing knives are a guaranteed kill though. They are dodgy like that.

DrBo42

Snapshot King said:
Wow, so I'm 4 Cristina missions in, and
holy shit Ezios a fucking dooouuuchebag. Can't believe he's messing with this chicks head like this.
Was that the Carnivale memory? I felt so bad for both of them after that. I need to go full synch more missions and finish that storyline off.
So what was the deal with the 16 puzzles again? There's something special if you complete them during the course of the game that you can't do or see after it's over?

Top Bottom