• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

Cheska

So after a few more hours invested in this, I'm getting quite frustrated with some of the mechanics. As a long time AC fan, and someone who considers ACII one of the best games this generation, I can't help but feel like I'm not enjoying myself as much.

I thought my problems with the climbing would go away, but nope, they're still there. I still find myself having issues with Ezio jumping in the completely opposite direction as I'm scaling a wall. This is particularly frustrating when I'm chasing a den captain down or trying to escape an area to become anonymous. Which brings me to my next point, fuck capturing the dens. Yes, you can completely ignore this feature EXCEPT that you then cannot unlock the surrounding merchants. You see, one of my favorite aspects of these games is being able to upgrade the towns, and pretty much go anywhere I need to in order to buy supplies. The den captains seem even harder to assassinate, and go into hiding way too quickly IMO. Yesterday I found myself on very low health with all medicine supplies exausted, and I had to travel across the entire map (while all the guards were on high alert) to get back to an area with a doctor.

I love the environment, but I'm definitely not enjoying thie game as much the previous two installment. I will say though ,that I'm loving the way the Sofia portions are being handled :)

White Man

I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of my previous bitchings, so I'm offering the forum this new one (you know, gotta keep the bases\dens covered): Is the color "off" on this game for anyone else? It's fine on every other game (including Brotherhood) but I'm getting a purplish hue or tint on skin. It's kinda difficult to tell if any other colors are off since there are far more dark colors used in the game than there are light.

(I do like the game, btw. Whereas most significant changes were improvements in ACB, it feels mostly the opposite here. If the bar for quickies hadn't been set so high with Brotherhood I probably wouldn't be griping so much at all)

I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of my previous bitchings, so I'm offering the forum this new one (you know, gotta keep the bases\dens covered): Is the color "off" on this game for anyone else? It's fine on every other game (including Brotherhood) but I'm getting a purplish hue or tint on skin. It's kinda difficult to tell if any other colors are off since there are far more dark colors used in the game than there are light.

I had this for a while...then realized I'd somehow turned the 3D on without realizing it. Not sure if you did the same perhaps?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
How's the game play, better or worse than brotherhood?

Hoping it goes down to 40 because im a cheapass.

So far I would say its mixed. While the core gameplay is better (hook blade is great), i don't care for the tower defense stuff. Not a RTS fan and why they put that stuff in my action game I'll never know and them gimp it with the awful camera. At least you can raise your assassins to a point were you don't have to deal with it at all. Miss the posters too, harder to get your infamy down and shit like buying stores raises it.

Haven't gotten to any of the tomb raider like areas yet but the fighting is more refined then ever as well. You are walking death at this point, kinda makes me wish I could just go down to street level on the tower defense sections and wipe everyone out myself.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So after a few more hours invested in this, I'm getting quite frustrated with some of the mechanics. As a long time AC fan, and someone who considers ACII one of the best games this generation, I can't help but feel like I'm not enjoying myself as much.

I thought my problems with the climbing would go away, but nope, they're still there. I still find myself having issues with Ezio jumping in the completely opposite direction as I'm scaling a wall. This is particularly frustrating when I'm chasing a den captain down or trying to escape an area to become anonymous. Which brings me to my next point, fuck capturing the dens. Yes, you can completely ignore this feature EXCEPT that you then cannot unlock the surrounding merchants. You see, one of my favorite aspects of these games is being able to upgrade the towns, and pretty much go anywhere I need to in order to buy supplies. The den captains seem even harder to assassinate, and go into hiding way too quickly IMO. Yesterday I found myself on very low health with all medicine supplies exausted, and I had to travel across the entire map (while all the guards were on high alert) to get back to an area with a doctor.

I love the environment, but I'm definitely not enjoying thie game as much the previous two installment. I will say though ,that I'm loving the way the Sofia portions are being handled :)

How can you still have this issue? Don't press the feet button when climbing, that's not how you climb, you use the direction stick to go where you want, not the JUMP button, unless you point upward, in which case he will jump up.

It's so simple, I NEVER make that mistake, and people have doing that since forever.

Cheska

How can you still have this issue? Don't press the feet button when climbing, that's not how you climb, you use the direction stick to go where you want, not the JUMP button, unless you point upward, in which case he will jump up.

It's so simple, I NEVER make that mistake, and people have doing that since forever.

I've always pressed X while climbing so he will go faster and I've never had as many issues as I have with Revelations :( I'm not sure if they made the sensitivity higher or what, but Ezio definitely jumps backwards when Im clearly pressing forward.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've always pressed X while climbing so he will go faster and I've never had as many issues as I have with Revelations :( I'm not sure if they made the sensitivity higher or what, but Ezio definitely jumps backwards when Im clearly pressing forward.

Pressing x doesn't allow you to go faster, holding the right trigger does. It hasn't changed in Revelations.

X does NOTHING while climbing, except if you tap it while pressing upward, in which case he will jump upward. Right trigger = "high profile", so faster climbing.

X = jump button. If you don't press a direction, he will jump back.

Cheska

Pressing x doesn't allow you to go faster, holding the right trigger does. It hasn't changed in Revelations.

X does NOTHING while climbing, except if you tap it while pressing upward, in which case he will jump upward. Right trigger = "high profile", so faster climbing.

X = jump button. If you don't press a direction, he will jump back.

GAH that's what I meant, though I press the right trigger and X. So basically, I'm pressing R1 + x and forward, but he goes backwards. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm pressing the exact same buttons I have in the past, but having issues this time around.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This was my least liked AC game. The story I thought was throwaway garbage that did justice to the game's beginnings as a shitty 3DS game. The Altair stuff was frankly boring, short and amounted to very little. The Ezio stuff equally boring and again amounted to nothing.
Third fucking time we go after an apple of eden, are you fucking serious
. Where were the revelations? Everything this game allegedly "reveals" we already knew from AC2. The Desmond stuff was also fucking horrible and the worst out of animus experience in the entire franchise.

Worst city design in the entire series too. Small, forgettable map. This series can't sustain this yearly shit any more. They pulled a minor miracle with Brotherhood, but clearly that was a one-time thing. Now they've screwed themselves with AC3 which has to be released next year no matter what.

Gameplay-wise I'm feeling some serious franchise fatigue, it's the third mainline AC game released in a span of 24 months. That's ridiculous for games of this size. I tried to skip all of the additions, meaning the Den Defense(which is SHIT) and the Mediterranean Defense(I hated leveling up retards in ACB, such a shore, I wasn't gonna do that again). They really need to lean this series and leave all the non-stealth/action crap on the table. Enough of that. Den Defense in particular is GARBAGE, and shit if you "liberate" a tower your status is immediately set to red. One time after I set a tower afire two other dens got invaded within two minutes, before I could kill a witness or bribe anyone. At that point I said fuck it to this shit mechanic.

The one improvement was the visuals, character models are really the best in the series, but overall this engine is really showing its age.

My assessment is to only buy if you are unfortunately already too invested into the franchise. I have some seriously low expectations for AC3, right now it's looking like in a perfect world this whole thing would've been put out to pasture after Desilets left.

Maybe Brotherhood worked because they wanted to include Rome in AC2 and had to cut it last minute. So they had content already started.

edit: Aaaand you said that in your very next post.

They can't do a modern city because it would be completely ridiculous to have barrels of hay fucking everywhere and that's our core stealth mechanic.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I disagree about the city, best looking one yet, and most fun to freerun in. Rome was a big map of boring slow horse travel, drab looking too. MUCH less popin in this one too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I agree with your post, especially these bits. I know some people love Brotherhood, but AC2 is without question the high point in the series so far IMHO. It's not perfect, but it had vision. ACR really really does not. Feels very cheap, like a bad TV movie.

I can't disagree with you more. Rome felt much more like a living city instead of a map + procedural buildings like AC2 cities felt to me. Also calling in assassin's no matter how ridiculous is probably my favorite small mechanic of any game this generation.

White Man

The most noticeable control improvement for me was with jumping. The last couple hours of Brotherhood had me doing side missions that involved annoying jumping, and this feels way better. I on't think I've inadvertently committed suicide more than 3 or so times in Rev.

Question: isn't money deposited in bank every 20 minutes? I've been playing for about 35 tonight now and haven't had money put in once, and this seems to happen a lot.

Never mind...I may have just answered my question. I lowered my templar awareness, and bam, money was deposited. I was never told that'd hold up my deposits. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

Sai-kun

Banned
Only on Sequence 3, but...

Yusuf is so hot. God damn.

Edit: Why do I get the feeling that Data Frags will be so hard to find :(

Quick

Banned
They can't do a modern city because it would be completely ridiculous to have barrels of hay fucking everywhere and that's our core stealth mechanic.

There's bushes to hide in now in Revelations.

On a modern day setting, I can think of maybe a trash bin or...a box.

IS SNAKE AN ASSASSIN?!

I've just been stumbling upon them. Out of nowhere, there's one right beside me. Haha.

Maybe Brotherhood worked because they wanted to include Rome in AC2 and had to cut it last minute. So they had content already started.

edit: Aaaand you said that in your very next post.

Actually, the core stealth mechanic is blending in with crowds of people.

I wouldn't mind some portion of the game taking place in the present-day with updates to the formula, but I think the majority of the game should take place in another past era. Egypt would be absolutely wonderful.

White Man

Uh, another question: I'm a little confused with the notoriety meter. Right now, it's -all- red, but about 2/3rds of it is marginally darker red. It's kind of difficult to tell at a glance whether I need to do something about it. I didn't see any other notoriety indicators on menu screens or anything. Is the slightly lighter red temporary heat that goes away with time?

ctrayne

I can't disagree with you more. Rome felt much more like a living city instead of a map + procedural buildings like AC2 cities felt to me. Also calling in assassin's no matter how ridiculous is probably my favorite small mechanic of any game this generation.

Oh, no doubt about the assassin calls being awesome. And Brohood is better than Revelations. I just mean that AC2 felt very inspired from an artistic vision, even if the tech couldn't quite catch up. Everything from the color palette to Ezio's clothing felt kind of dreamlike and hyper-real. It had ambition. ACB/ACR were kind of drab and "un-fun" in comparison, they just feel like cash-ins to keep the AC brand awareness up. They're not terrible games at all, though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Uh, another question: I'm a little confused with the notoriety meter. Right now, it's -all- red, but about 2/3rds of it is marginally darker red. It's kind of difficult to tell at a glance whether I need to do something about it. I didn't see any other notoriety indicators on menu screens or anything. Is the slightly lighter red temporary heat that goes away with time?
All red means it's on full alert. It won't go away until you get the meter back to 0.
Btw, I got to see the PC version running at work (software&games reseller, our version has no release date checks strangely). We didn't reach the city yet since the intro is sooooo fucking long, but it ran at 60 fps/1080p with everything maxed out on a i7/gtx570. I'll try and get to the city on Monday to check how the performance is there.
Nah, I find the 30 required to do all the Desmond stuff by chance. They are especially easy to find at the arsenal part of the city.

sangreal

Nah, I find the 30 required to do all the Desmond stuff by chance. They are especially easy to find at the arsenal part of the city.

Yeah, it seems to be pretty much impossible to not cross 30 by the end of the game. I unlocked at least 2 missions at the arsenal alone. I thought at first that all 100 were required for the Desmond missions which would have been awful, even though I got all of the feathers in AC:B

sangreal

Question: isn't money deposited in bank every 20 minutes? I've been playing for about 35 tonight now and haven't had money put in once, and this seems to happen a lot.

I'm pretty sure this is completely broken. In AC:B it was like clockwork, but I can play for hours in AC:R and only seem to get one deposit.

The most noticeable control improvement for me was with jumping. The last couple hours of Brotherhood had me doing side missions that involved annoying jumping, and this feels way better. I on't think I've inadvertently committed suicide more than 3 or so times in Rev.

You can commit suicide? It seems like no action kills you unless you previously lost all your health and haven't regenerated the first bar. Regardless, as far as jumping goes, the controls are still pretty weak and you can be climbing up a tower on second and jumping off it the next without moving the stick but you have parachutes to save you from dying. I don't think I had any platforming deaths. Finding myself accidentally diving into a haystack was a much larger annoyance.

Haunted

Tower defence? Mandatory tower defence? Shit mandatory tower defence? In an Assassin's Creed game? Really, Ubisoft?

Completely agree with jett, Y2Kev and RockPaperShotgun's review. My least favourite AC game - II >= Brotherhood > 1 > Revelations.

Biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Tower defence? Mandatory tower defence? Shit mandatory tower defence?

In an Assassin's Creed game? Really, Ubisoft?

Completely agree with jett, Y2Kev and RockPaperShotgun's review. My least favourite AC game - II >= Brotherhood > 1 > Revelations.

Biggest disappointment of the year for me.

It's not mandatory.

EDIT: Save one tutorial mission.

Haunted

It's not mandatory.

EDIT: Save one tutorial mission.
Leaving your zones contested locks all shops in the vicinity, correct?

I call that mandatory.

edit: actually, the awfulness of this mechanic goes even further. If you want to keep your dens uncontested, you can't do any of the fun stuff ("illegal behaviour") in the game. Imagine if GTA would actually punish you with something unfun and drab when you get up to 5 stars instead of unleashing the military resulting in the most hilarious thrillrides.

This mechanic has been a terrible idea and I hope they take the negative feedback they'll get to heart.

Leaving your zones contested locks all shops in the vicinity, correct?

I call that mandatory.

edit: actually, the awfulness of this mechanic goes even further. If you want to keep your dens uncontested, you can't do any of the fun stuff ("illegal behaviour") in the game. Imagine if GTA would actually punish you with something unfun and drab when you get up to 5 stars instead of unleashing the military resulting in the most hilarious thrillrides.

This mechanic has been a terrible idea and I hope they take the negative feedback they'll get to heart.

I captured all the dens as early as possible, within a few hours of starting the game. By the end, I literally had to FORCE the game into triggering a Den Defense so that I could complete the challenge necessary to unlock the Sword of Altair.

It's easy to keep Dens uncontested.

You can still do plenty of illegal activity, you just can do a shit ton of it without bribing heralds or killing witnesses to keep your heat down.

Or do you think that Assassin's would be able to cause havoc at a whim without raising any eye-brows.

That said, the actual Den Defense isn't very fun so I either hope they improve it or scratch it. But claiming it's some huge burden when it's ludicrously easy to avoid entirely is kind of ridiculous.

Haunted

So at best you want to avoid the mechanic, at worst it sours you on the experience. Who at Ubi thought this would've been a good idea in the first place? >_>

You can still opt to not doing them and just kill the den captain again.
That sounds much better than doing the tower defence.

Irish

I don't think I'll ever understand all the love ACII gets. I seriously believe it is the worst game in the series (which still means I like it better than 90% of what else is out there). It's like Metal Gear Solid 2 compared to MGS (AC1) and MGS3 (AC:R), with Brohood being the equivalent to 4.

Cheska said:
GAH that's what I meant, though I press the right trigger and X. So basically, I'm pressing R1 + x and forward, but he goes backwards. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm pressing the exact same buttons I have in the past, but having issues this time around.

You're still doing it wrong. :p

So at best you want to avoid the mechanic, at worst it sours you on the experience. Who at Ubi thought this would've been a good idea in the first place? >_>

I didn't intentionally avoid the mechanic. My style of play, where I bribed heralds and killed witnesses in the area frequently, made it a non-factor.

Conceptually, the idea of elaborating the system from Brotherhood (where you simply capture areas) to areas that needed to be defended is great. It wasn't well executed.

It happens, and it's like 10% of the game.

I don't think I'll ever understand all the love ACII gets. I seriously believe it is the worst game in the series (which still means I like it better than 90% of what else is out there). It's like Metal Gear Solid 2 compared to MGS (AC1) and MGS3 (AC:R), with Brohood being the equivalent to 4.

You're still doing it wrong. :p

People who perceive the Assassin's Creed games as historial GTA games love AC2, because it basically provided them with the widest variety of shit to do outside the main quest. The quest itself was significantly worse than AC1, because the assassination missions were short, unfulfilling and lame. The storyline was about the same for me, but your enjoyment of AC2 vs AC1 depends on your preference for Altair or Ezio's character types.

Sai

Man, it's not like I loved Den Defense or anything, but I didn't have much of a problem with it compared to others, it seems.

I played it the required number of times to snag the Achievement and complete the Assassin's Guild Challenges, then got those Dens locked down with Master Assassins ASAP... Didn't feel like I dealt with it more than I needed to.

But then, I think somebody said that even the tutorial was too much. So if that's the way you feel about it, then I guess I can understand. XD

Why do I get the feeling that Data Frags will be so hard to find :(
dey b ez bro

Just keep your Eagle Sense active whenever you're in high places, man. They'll be automatically marked on your map. You'll be surprised by how many you chance upon just from synchronizing viewpoints.

And once you get 50 of them, the game automatically marks the rest of them on your map.

jett

D-Member

That is seriously assbackwards.

People who perceive the Assassin's Creed games as historial GTA games love AC2, because it basically provided them with the widest variety of shit to do outside the main quest. The quest itself was significantly worse than AC1, because the assassination missions were short, unfulfilling and lame. The storyline was about the same for me, but your enjoyment of AC2 vs AC1 depends on your preference for Altair or Ezio's character types.

I just realized there are virtually no assassination missions in ACR. lol. Ubisoft made a whoopsie!

Scapegoat

Are you talking about story or gameplay?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Get to the door of the contested den and accept the Den Defense mini-game (if you select "decline" it doesn't do anything and the area will still be in the contested state). After it loads, press start and select "abort memory". When it loads back to the normal city, the area will be back into Templar control and you'll have to kill the Den Captain again to get it back to the Assassins.

You'll have to see two loading screens but it's still better than doing the mini-game if you consider it insufferable. I personally did Den Defense around three times in my entire playthrough and didn't mind it. It was only annoying when I didn't understand how the awareness system worked properly at the start, but after I got it it was easy to not get my dens attacked for the rest of the game.

jett

D-Member
Get to the door of the contested den and accept the Den Defense mini-game (if you select "decline" it doesn't do anything and the area will still be in the contested state). After it loads, press start and select "abort memory". When it loads back to the normal city, the area will be back into Templar control and you'll have to kill the Den Captain again to get it back to the Assassins.

You'll have to see two loading screens but it's still better than doing the mini-game if you consider it insufferable. I personally did Den Defense around three times in my entire playthrough and didn't mind it. It was only annoying when I didn't understand how the awareness system worked properly at the start, but after I got it it was easy to not get my dens attacked for the rest of the game.

And after you kill the den captain your meter will immediately be put on full alert...repeating the cycle. Like I said before, one time two of my dens got invaded immediately after I killed a captain, before I could kill a VIP or bribe a heraldI frankly ignored the dens, not a single fuck was given, and it didn't affect my playthrough at all. I think I only liberated three. There's really no point.

Fuu

And after you kill the den captain your meter will immediately be put on full alert...repeating the cycle. Like I said before, one time two of my dens got invaded immediately after I killed a captain, before I could kill a VIP or bribe a heraldI frankly ignored the dens, not a single fuck was given, and it didn't affect my playthrough at all. I think I only liberated three. There's really no point.
Doesn't it only get attacked if you do something illegal while in the alert state? I didn't find it hard to find heralds after that, although officials were rare. But yeah, the point is that you can go the entire game without doing den defense if you don't want to (not counting the tutorial).

seriously?

What do you consider an assassination mission?

There were a lot of missions in AC2 and ACB where you were tasked with killing a bad-guy, but actually doing so wasn't really an assassination - it was just the conclusion of an otherwise standard mission.

There were a FEW missions in AC2 and ACB that involved infiltration, by-passing or quietly removing guards, and chase sequences, but not many. There are even fewer in AC:R, but you do help your assassins in training perform a few basic assassinations.

The elaborate assassinations of AC1? No, there are none of those in AC:R.

TheOddOne

How do you actually use a group of thieves? So I hire them and then go to a group of Templars, press B and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Fuu

How do you actually use a group of thieves? So I hire them and then go to a group of Templars, press B and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
The option should appear when you target lock one of the guards in the group.

Started this up yesterday, love it so far. Bought all the stores, captured all the dens and even raised all the master assassins I can at this point and I just got to the bomb making part. Got some Guild master armor and a sweet axe, sword and dagger from the assassin dens. Only had the started 1st 2 armor items before I got the best stuff. Working on the landmarks now. Guess I gotta advance the story to get the last lookout point and lock up the last den.

this is how i played brotherhood, & exactly how i've played revelations - not advancing the story till i've unlocked/upgraded everything i possibly can. probably not so much fun if you're not loving the environment/atmosphere, but it was pretty effortless for me, & (in the case of brotherhood, anyway) makes the storyline, once you do move it along, feel a lot more cohesive, & enjoyable...

not to mention, it eliminates the need to play den defense :) ...

LuchaShaq

Banned
Super disappointing they didn't do anything to punish players in multiplayer who just sprint on rooftops they entire time. They are easy to avoid/kill but impossible to get more than 100 per kill on them so it's almost better to just kill a civvy if you get them as a target.

Top Bottom