• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Revelations |OT| Requiescat in Pace (56k)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They could use dumpsters.

Maybe random dumpsters could be filled with old heroin needles. You might get penalized for hiding in one every once in awhile!

But seriously, though, the hay is pretty dumb too. I haven't seen a single horse in Constantinople. The fuck is all the hay for?

edit: Aaaand you said that in your very next post.

They can't do a modern city because it would be completely ridiculous to have barrels of hay fucking everywhere and that's our core stealth mechanic.

Trucks with canopies, with a one use per truck deal (Since you would break it).

I don't think I'll ever understand all the love ACII gets. I seriously believe it is the worst game in the series.

2 is only made to look bad in comparison to Brotherhood, ACR is dull even when judged on its own merits.

But seriously, though, the hay is pretty dumb too. I haven't seen a single horse in Constantinople. The fuck is all the hay for?

That's the Revelation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They could use dumpsters.

And what would they replace rooftop gardens with? And flower bushes? Homeless people playing hacky sack?! :D

The "blending into crowds" stealth mechanic literally makes no sense. I get that it's a game, but it's time to think outside the box. You can walk in between a crowd of four people talking a) with absolutely no consequence ("excuse me sir, you are a complete stranger and are standing in between me and my three friends") and b) you become INVISIBLE (i cannot see that guy wearing the gigantic assassin's garb with the giant A on it because he's standing in the middle of four other people!").

It's time to evolve the mechanic.

jett

D-Member
And what would they replace rooftop gardens with? And flower bushes? Homeless people playing hacky sack?! :D

The "blending into crowds" stealth mechanic literally makes no sense. I get that it's a game, but it's time to think outside the box. You can walk in between a crowd of four people talking a) with absolutely no consequence ("excuse me sir, you are a complete stranger and are standing in between me and my three friends") and b) you become INVISIBLE (i cannot see that guy wearing the gigantic assassin's garb with the giant A on it because he's standing in the middle of four other people!").

This franchise needs an enema.

BeeDog

They seriously need to take a look at the old Hitman games. Right now, you're not an assassin but a super-obvious, stone-cold murderer. The kills in the game need to be more open-ended and dynamic, and shouldn't simply rely on destroying everything in your path.

Dany

Banned
They did announce a new game for next year? I hope it is III and that it is a big change in location and mechanics. The games we've had for the last three years are great and fun but we've had three games in three years...

hank_tree

I just got a 3D TV so I've been playing this in Side by Side 3D mode on the 360 version. It all looks good but the 360 overlay stuff shows up weird.(Friend notifications etc.). Is there some way to fix this or is it just the price you pay for using 3D?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Any point in keep sending assassins out on those mini missions? Seems like each area is capped at 50% assassin, don't really need the mats and money. After locking the dens do you need to keep at them?

Scapegoat

Any point in keep sending assassins out on those mini missions? Seems like each area is capped at 50% assassin, don't really need the mats and money. After locking the dens do you need to keep at them?
You can station up to 5 Assassins at each city by completing the "create an Assassin den" missions. This way you can boost the maximum influence to 100%. After you have created a den in a city you can assign Assassins to it by pressing X/Square when the city is selected.

Have you ever watched the Bourne movies? Have of his escapes ended with him blending into a crowd, casually walking into a group of people and hiding in plain sight.

It's really not that ridiculous a concept.

jett

D-Member
Have you ever watched the Bourne movies? Have of his escapes ended with him blending into a crowd, casually walking into a group of people and hiding in plain sight.

It's ridiculous when you look like this

1276521116e3afff.jpg

And you're hiding among 5 people.

Jason Bourne doesn't wear an assassin suit. Had fun with this but there is some jarring shit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It made more sense in the first game where those monks dressed similarly to the assassins and Altair would pretend he was praying. It has been jarring ever since the second game.

I don't know, I think the mechanic is fine but it doesn't help that Ezio kept getting stuff added to his design and looked completely out of place in most settings. It would actually make more sense if he took the hood off during the blending or something. It was pretty funny how the wanted posters in brohood featured a generic hooded face with only the mouth showing.

jett

D-Member
It made more sense in the first game where those monks dressed similarly to the assassins and Altair would pretend he was praying. It has been jarring ever since the second game.

I don't know, I think the mechanic is fine but it doesn't help that Ezio kept getting stuff added to his design and looked completely out of place in most settings. It would actually make more sense if he took the hood off during the blending or something. It was pretty funny how the wanted posters in brohood featured a generic hooded face with only the mouth showing.

His Revelations suit is probably the one that "fits" the most, mostly because it's grey by default and not blinding white.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Suspension of disbelief is such a hard concept.

And I'm having a blast with this game, mainly because the "dungeon" sections are miles ahead of those in Brotherhood. Also, the multiplayer is way more complex.

Jason Bourne doesn't wear an assassin suit. Had fun with this but there is some jarring shit.

The original Assassin's Creed is the only one in which there was a known assassin's garb. They had their lair up in the mountains, and people knew they existed, if not their purpose or motivations.

After Altair took over the order, he took the order into the shadows and they operated in secret, so by Ezio's time centuries later, they were removed from the public consciousness. People forgot that they existed, or what they looked like.

By the time Ezio came around, he wasn't wearing anything that would be recognized as an 'assassin' suit, he was just wearing a white and red ensemble that matched the style of the time period. Your transfering your knowledge of the character onto the NPCs inhabiting the game world. To them, he's just a guy who pulled a white suit out of his drawer.

Personally, I always felt like paying to change the color of your outfit should have an affect on your infamy level, in the same way that spray-painting your car in GTA helps your wanted level. Add a gameplay reason for a cool customization feature.

Danny-Boy

The tower defense crap is almost killing the game for me. I can always clear the wave of guards, but then they come through with tanks and it just rolls through the barriers and remaining defense. How do you stop it? I'm dropping bombs on it but it doesn't even put a dent in it's armor. It's too over powered.

The tower defense crap is almost killing the game for me. I can always clear the wave of guards, but then they come through with tanks and it just rolls through the barriers and remaining defense. How do you stop it? I'm dropping bombs on it but it doesn't even put a dent in it's armor. It's too over powered.

What kind of barriers do you have? You eventually unlock cannon walls that handle them quite easily.

In any case, my strategy before unlocking that wall was to build out from the base, kind of like Plants vs. Zombies. I focus on the barrier you start with, right in front of the gate, and only put leaders on the roofs directly above it. One crossbow each, and maybe an aerial assassin on one too. First way comes, they usually take care of it, I help out by targeting with the wrist pistol.

Loot bodies for extra moral, then build a new barrier (normal, fire or machine gun), add crossbows and guns up on the roofs directly above the new one, and maybe reinforce it (make the wall bigger). Help them out with guns, maybe a cannon shot if necessary.

Repeat all the way to the furtherest possible place to build a barrier. By the time the tank comes, I have so many freaking guns on the roof-tops targeting him, along with me shooting bullets and using the cannon, he usually doesn't make it to the last gate before he's done.

rataven

Just finished sequence 4, and holy shit, that changed everything. Great batch of missions, from the hilarious
minstrel mission to the sublime dungeon in Galata Tower.
Good stuff.

Danny-Boy

Loot bodies for extra moral, then build a new barrier (normal, fire or machine gun), add crossbows and guns up on the roofs directly above the new one, and maybe reinforce it (make the wall bigger). Help them out with guns, maybe a cannon shot if necessary.

Thanks. That's where I think I'm going wrong.

sangreal

I posted some advice earlier:

If you're having trouble -- one thing they don't tell you is that you can change your units on that first unit summary screen. Also, riflemen tear through the siege units (and everything else, except those assassin units that you have to shoot manually)

I never even bother to include crossbowmen. Canon barricades are awesome. I rarely need to build more than one barricade

Sai

It's ridiculous when you look like this

1276521116e3afff.jpg

And you're hiding among 5 people.
In the first game, Eagle Vision was being passed off as the Animus' visual representation of the Assassins' observational skills, but was changed to the bloodline-specific, sixth sense-like ability we know it as now in subsequent games.

There could be similar reasons behind Blending.

I actually thought that, with the introduction of Tailor Shops, they would make it so that later on, we'd have to change the color of our assassin garbs to better blend in with the crowds; like a per-district kind of thing.

Would've made the game's stealth element a lil' more interesting, especially if we had to prepare it for specific targets.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In the first game, Eagle Vision was being passed off as the Animus' visual representation of the Assassins' observational skills, but was changed to the bloodline-specific, sixth sense-like ability we know it as now in subsequent games.

There could be similar reasons behind Blending.

I actually thought that, with the introduction of Tailor Shops, they would make it so that later on, we'd have to change the color of our assassin garbs to better blend in with the crowds; like a per-district kind of thing.

Would've made the game's stealth element a lil' more interesting, especially if we had to prepare it for specific targets.

In the first game, Altair actually resembled some of the monks he could blend with.

Ezio sticks out like a sore thumb, and it's bugged the hell out of me since the second game

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crowd blending needs to be reworked. It's pretty useless anyway.

The whole stealth thing must be redone. It has been ignored for long enough. I'd drop the crowd blending crap, and just give the character all sorts of options to be stealthy (crouching, walking crouched, doing idle animations depending on where you are to avoid attracting too much attention).

Massa

The blending in is part of the first CG trailer for AC, isn't it? I remember thinking it looked pretty cool then. It looks too artificial in the game, that's for sure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ATTENTION GUARDS

THIS IS AN ALL POINTS BULLETIN

If you see anyone wearing a gigantic fucking "A" belt, kill him!

I would think part of blending into crowds would be changing clothes/changing appearance.

Let's not forget Yusuf recognizes Ezio when he gets off the boat having never seen him before. Ezio wears the AC2 outfit for over 10 years in AC2. The stealth in the game is more gameplay shenanigans than it is artifice.

Amir0x

Banned
i always wondered why we didn't get a clothes changing mechanic for hiding. wouldn't be hard to implement. A simple jump into a haystack and emerge clothed in monk garb would be sufficient

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Changing clothes as a direct gameplay mechanic would be fucking annoying.

All we need is a more subtle design, and hidden weapons by default, and being able to actually hide in the environment itself. Fuck walking around with a hammer, and hiding among people or hay stacks.

Disguises, fine for a mission in particular, but seriously it would be terrible to use that as a mechanic for the whole game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yes it was retarded in MGS3. Was fine in MGS4 with the Octocamo.

Amir0x

Banned
Changing clothes as a direct gameplay mechanic would be fucking annoying.

All we need is a more subtle design, and hidden weapons by default, and being able to actually hide in the environment itself. Fuck walking around with a hammer, and hiding among people or hay stacks.

Disguises, fine for a mission in particular, but seriously it would be terrible to use that as a mechanic for the whole game.

it sounds annoying on paper, but it would be extremely easy to implement in a fluid way. It wouldn't obviously be 100% realistic, but it would be preferable to what we have and would actually have some depth. And it could have a dual purpose... for example, if you change clothes in a haystack or garden or whatever, you will instantly diminish your notoriety somewhat. This could take partial place of the ol' grabbing wanted posters thing. And you could supplement it with heralds like you have now. And to be particularly effective, you'd have to decide which outfit to come out with based on the environment you're in to be believable.

It wouldn't be like GO INTO MENU, SELECT OUTFIT. It'd be more like you jump into a bush, a special d-pad prompt comes up telling you to quickly select the outfit you want and then voila you're instantly changed and out of the bush. Of course maybe it would be intrusive, and naturally I'd design the game to disallow the prompts if you just wanted to pay off heralds or stay hidden to get away. But outfits would also be an amazing new dynamic to sneak into places.

Blader

Is it worth to go back and play Brotherhood before this, or can I skip it (as I've already done) and just dive right into Revelations?

Haunted

It's not like the stealth mechanic is particularly fleshed out, too. There are the free zones (stationary and moving) and there's being out there, where everything depends on proximity and speed of traversal. It's really not all that complex. That said, the idea of naturally blending in with crowds is effective (and as an aside, very suited to a modern setting), but the way it's implemented in the AC games with 4 identically dressed people moving in unison with a completely different looking fifth person in between feels hamfisted. Gameplay-wise, it's essentially a hiding place that moves with you instead of you having to read and follow and use the flow of a dense crowd like it ought to be.

Is it worth to go back and play Brotherhood before this, or can I skip it (as I've already done) and just dive right into Revelations?
If you've already played II, definitely go for Brotherhood and... wait on this one, or skip it altogether.

sangreal

They seemed to be going down that route in AC2 when you had the different capes for each district which eliminated notoriety.

The Lamp

That works when you have a large crowd of people, ala JAAASSOOOOOOON from Heavy Rain.

Hiding in between 3 or 4 prostitutes does not make a guy in a hood invisible or forgotten about lol

Why is everyone on this page saying to skip Revelations but pick Brotherhood instead? I haven't played either but all my friends said Rev's the best and most varied of the bunch...

Top Bottom