• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

sjay1994

Yes , would not recommend. Graphically it is horrible to me

Something from unity had to get hit in order to make it perform ok

Does the game specifically detail that Ned is a transman either in dialog or the codex?

Do they use gendered pronouns with Ned?

Dunno about the codex, but its not really brought up with someone asking if he is transgendered. I don't remember them using him or her, but rather they just used Ned.

BatSu

Graphically, the environment is acceptable, but the main character created , are horrible.

svTM1jb.png

dt8NR2u.png

sjay1994

I really hope that the game Montreal is working actually has decent AI and has the sensibility not to have non hostile NPC's scattered all around an area you are supposed to sneak around in. It just looks so stupid in practice, and the dumbness of the AI + the general sense that detection isn't a penalty and you can easily deal with guard makes me wonder what is the point of stealth in the first place.

And I fucking hope it releases in a solid condition, because both AC3 and Unity, the "we've changed so much" games both released in abysmal quality.

Then again, unless the game they are working on is in a time period I actually care about, I probably won't pick it up.

The modern day has gone to total shit in Syndicate, and my obligation to buy each of these games has ended.

sjay1994

I was already thinking during Unity that buildings/landscapes looked way too flat, but it at least had better lighting.

Lighting got hit.

Unity used a fixed lighting system (lighting sytem never changes until the game needs it to). Syndicate uses dynamic lighting (goes from night to day on its own)

Whatever this engine Ubi is using for these current gen AC games isn't great.

norm9

Looks pretty fun from all the gameplay footage. Guy looks goofy with the hat. Girl looks dope with the cane. Too bad I still need to finish Black Flag and Unity before I even think of playing this one.

sjay1994

Jacob is absolute garbage while Evie is absolute perfection.

Yeah, he doesn't really get any better, and mostly acts as a foil to make Evie look good. He is an idiot for most of the game.

And its more annoying that he is "the face" of Syndicate.

Evie might be on the box, but she is pushed so far of to the side, and the european special edition is even worse

Its just Jacob, and Evie is relagated to a peel off sticker

And its baffling considering they have this key art, that they could have used for the boxart

WeTeHa

Looks like I won't be playing today. A few minutes after putting the disc in I had the NXE update pushed on me resulting in:

Wait, what? An update was actually pushed to your console without you downloading/installing yourself that broke your game? (I don't own an XB1, so I have no idea how the system works)

But if so, that's ridiculous. Though maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

My PS4 copy of the game actually arrived today, though I probably have to wait for two weeks until I can play :/

Cth

I'm having a blast so far.. although it seems the difficulty is a lot easier this time around so far.

Characters are fun and have the kind of banter that Marvel films do.

As far as combat goes, the speed is awesome, makes you feel overpowered. Then again I just picked a fight with a bobby and got shot :D

Minor thing, but I like how one of the collectibles was tied into the game (Shaun wanting you to sample various ales so he could vicariously live through the experience)

B-Dex

Sure it had a graphical downgrade from Unity but to me it looks great still. Those glass shaders are pretty nice too.

antitrop

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate Looks Worse Than Unity - Lacks Cloud Shadows, Features Less Crowd

https://youtu.be/h4YU_hy9xFk

Less crowds sounds more like a plus. Unity had so many NPCs standing around doing nothing that it was completely immersion breaking. That's not even to mention the obvious impact on performance. I wouldn't have wanted that many people standing around Paris even if they could have locked it at 30fps.

As someone who hated Unity, but picked this up after seeing the positive impressions, I am absolutely astounded at how much I like it. Just feels like a much smoother and more cohesive experience. The improvements to hand-to-hand combat make that part feel better, while the skill trees and inventory stuff makes you feel like you are actually making progress when you are chasing the icons around on the map. Even the menial tasks are more enjoyable because there's no companion app BS and the game isn't constantly hassling you to buy microtransactions. And the grappling hook vastly improves the mobility and makes getting around in general just more enjoyable. My only complaint this far really is that I feel of the two main characters, Evie is vastly superior. I find myself never really being compelled to switch back to Jacob unless the game tells me to. All in all, just feels like a game that is a lot more focused and tight than Unity ever did.

Less crowds sounds more like a plus. Unity had so many NPCs standing around doing nothing that it was completely immersion breaking. That's not even to mention the obvious impact on performance. I wouldn't have wanted that many people standing around Paris even if they could have locked it at 30fps.

Didn't Unity have those nasty LOD pop up with the crowds too? I think this game looks very nice, love the music that plays around town.

Cth

Do you need to enter a special code to download the extra missions the ps4 has or are they already installed?

There's two inserts in the case which you have to enter.

Also, on the store there's a free DLC called RUNAWAY TRAIN in the store.

Klocker

As someone who hated Unity, but picked this up after seeing the positive impressions, I am absolutely astounded at how much I like it. Just feels like a much smoother and more cohesive experience. The improvements to hand-to-hand combat make that part feel better, while the skill trees and inventory stuff makes you feel like you are actually making progress when you are chasing the icons around on the map. Even the menial tasks are more enjoyable because there's no companion app BS and the game isn't constantly hassling you to buy microtransactions. And the grappling hook vastly improves the mobility and makes getting around in general just more enjoyable. My only complaint this far really is that I feel of the two main characters, Evie is vastly superior. I find myself never really being compelled to switch back to Jacob unless the game tells me to. All in all, just feels like a game that is a lot more focused and tight than Unity ever did.

Agree across the board

Toa TAK

Banned
Right on.

The map isn't anywhere near as cluttered as Unity's, and while it may have been better graphically, the game looks just fine here.

Just got my Master Assassin outfit for Evie. Pumped.

I'm starting to get the hang of the controls now, referring to climbing up and down buildings using R2 and either X or O, it's feeling more natural when it initially felt weird.

I think the fact that Jacob is put front and center, and doesn't share the spotlight with Evie is a bit troubling.

That said, I feel like the game is better off for including them both. They work with each other from a narrative standpoint. If it was just Evie or Jacob, they both might seem a bit weak characterization wise.

16BitNova

Hey guys quick question about resolution and PS4. I know this is later into the gen and I'm just now wondering but, should I set my PS4 to automatic or 1080p? Does the PS4 upscale 900p to 1080p regardless? So if I leave it at automatic will it just play the game at 900p without upscaling? I ask because I would rather play the game at its native resolution. I feel like upscaling may look worse.

Yoday

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone reading so many people being happy with AC.

Anyway, off to finally go pick up my copy!

level1

Don't get all the jacob hate. He's kind of a meathead, but definitely not unlikeable. I actually kind of prefer him to evie. Although there's not a chance that any one of them could carry the game alone.

Yoday

Hey guys quick question about resolution and PS4. I know this is later into the gen and I'm just now wondering but, should I set my PS4 to automatic or 1080p? Does the PS4 upscale 900p to 1080p regardless? So if I leave it at automatic will it just play the game at 900p without upscaling? I ask because I would rather play the game at its native resolution. I feel like upscaling may look worse.
You aren't going to get native 900p unless you have a 1600x900 monitor. A 1080p TV is always going to display at 1080p, regardless of what you set the outputting device to. There is no 900p option on the PS4 regardless. Unlike last gen the scalers in these consoles are perfectly capable of doing the job, so always set both consoles to your max supported resolution.

Cth

Don't get all the jacob hate. He's kind of a meathead, but definitely not unlikeable. I actually kind of prefer him to evie. Although there's not a chance that any one of them could carry the game alone.

I like Jacob, but like Evie more.

Jacob's more of a kid.. as soon as he hears about the possibility of making his own gang, he's all giddy and making grand plans. It's kind of like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes to me. But yeah, the interplay between the two is great, sibling rivalry is fun :D

I like that they went this route, and the GTA V comparison is a good one.. it also lets you as a player decide which route you like to roleplay more as -- combat or stealth.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I think what some people in the camp of "Evie should've been the sole protagonist" don't get is that neither Evie NOR Jacob would be anywhere near as entertaining and likeable as they are without the brother-sister dynamic.

At least, that's how I see it as. Both play off each other and both foil each other perfectly.

16BitNova

You aren't going to get native 900p unless you have a 1600x900 monitor. A 1080p TV is always going to display at 1080p, regardless of what you set the outputting device to. There is no 900p option on the PS4 regardless. Unlike last gen the scalers in these consoles are perfectly capable of doing the job, so always set both consoles to your max supported resolution.

Okay 1080p it is. Thank you.

Parley

Banned
The game looks good and it is added to my "to buy" list. Always happy to wait and see a game and how it turns out. Leads me to skipping Unity and getting this. Less wasted time.

malfcn

Hello all-

I sincerely apologize if you were unable to place a pre-order for Assassin’s Creed Syndicate yesterday due to the items no longer being available for pre-order. However, pre-orders were still available in most cases at your local Best Buy store.

These items would have switched to being available at 12:01am CST as this was the release date for the game and they became accessible for order at that time. Regrettably, if you did not pre-order before 10/23, the My Best Buy Get $10 promotion would not be added to your purchase.

It’s certainly not in Best Buy’s interest to not have this available for pre-order the day before launch and it absolutely was not to drive people to pre-order the other editions.

Again, I am truly sorry if you were not able to pre-order through BestBuy.com yesterday.

They couldn't accept orders and it was our fault?

nOoblet16

Weather effects, environment density (buildings etc) and draw distance looks better than Unity, despite lower NPC count and no cloud shadows.

Honestly this looks bad to me. Buildings look flat and cardboard-like. Probably looks better in motion though.

Imo it looks very good, that's acceptable LOD for far off objects since you are not going to get high quality models when you have an ariel view of a dense city like that. Most game don't even do that, infact Unity was way worse in this area and the textures on those buildings and land looked horrible in Unity even on PC.

Klocker

Haha the Thames river feels so cool at dusk with rain... it's alive. much prefer this to unity's large crowds. Also prefer the time of day change compared to ACU static time even if lighting was a little better. Graphics are fine man.

Top Bottom