• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

Elios83

I'm really liking the game so far, many different activities, tons of stuff to do, the setting is amazing and graphics are really good (videos don't do it justice), NPC count has been reduced compared to Unity and there are less building interiors to visit so far but day/night cycle, a few improved effects (rain and smoke) plus smoother frame rate make up for it so overall they are at the same level. I'm also liking the story and the two main characters, it's kinda funny and refreshing for a AC game, lots of weirdos around :p
My complaints are that the enemy AI is dumb for a game with any kind of stealth ambition. They really need to improve this aspect which has always been a weak element but with the latest games becoming more and more about a stealth approach this is not acceptable.
Fighting system is basically Batman+classic AC. It does its job but it's not top notch either.

I'm having tons of fun with this. Combat still feels slughish. But the main missions are so diverse, and the characters are great.

What a twist for the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Was expecting something worse than Unity and Watch Dogs

Is there any way to disable double xp?

It's kind of offensive that Ubi assumes that all people who buy DLC also want pay to win as well. Ugh.

im not sure, I cant find anything in the menus. The double xp is not listed as a specific dlc. Not sure if u could uninstall something and it would go away, but you might lose something else in the process...idk

Been playing for a couple hours now.

I am loving this. Technical-wise, it's great. Smooth, and relatively free of glitches and bugs.

Visuals are fantastic. Paris in Unity was gorgeous, and London's no slouch. The atmosphere is fantastic. Sound design is great. I'm loving the score so far.

As for characters, I'm really digging them! Evie and Jacob are very charming and fun and likable. If they stay this likable, I'd totes play another couple of games starring this duo. Evie is rad. Jacob is an idiot, but he's a hilarious idiot like Nathan Drake.

There's a charm to this game and its cast that I saw glimpses of in Unity but was ultimately squandered. Let's hope Syndicate keeps it up!

Modern day story is still useless as fuck. Ubi is gonna continue to let me down on that aspect, but it's early days yet.

Also, guys, how do I change my clothes in the game? I wanna give Evie and Jacob new duds, but every shop I find just sells ammo and shit.

coming in November...

http://blog.ubi.com/free-assassins-creed-syndicate-outfits/

final.jpg

These are baller as fuck.

Not going to buy this quite right now but I'll probably buy it mid November (considering waiting on FO4) plus I'm still working through the Uncharted collection.

Never really played an AC game. I'm tempted with this one! Does anyone know how well optimized the PC version is?

There is no way to know yet. PC version isn't out until November.

It looks like the console version is much better optimized than Unity and we can only hope the PC version follows suit

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how to turn off that ring that is around your character? Also, anyone have the link to PDF file for the instructional manual? I want to know what all the general options are before I start turning stuff off. Thanks.

v0mitg0d

Can someone talk about the side missions and activities? Are the things to do that have really nothing to do with getting main story line? Is there one elite armor and/or weapon to get? Can you recruit assassins?

GreyWind

Anyone else thinks the soundtrack is very weak? Considering Austin Wintory did an amazing job with Journey but this soundtrack sounds a tad boring.

gossi

Can someone talk about the side missions and activities? Are the things to do that have really nothing to do with getting main story line? Is there one elite armor and/or weapon to get? Can you recruit assassins?

The side missions now all have main characters running through them, who are historical figures. They're also great. You get clear rewards for them. They basically reworked this, and did a good job.

You can conquer areas and then recruit gangs to help you.

I've watched some gameplay so I'm pretty certain I already know the answer to this, but is there any ambient music while freeroaming?

It's a really good game. A complete surprise. And running around the Thames at night time in a storm setting fire to boats (without even having a quest) was fab.

It one of those games as I reviewed it, I kept asking myself "will others see it as an improvement as much as I do come launch?" so that's why I'm glad to see others just as surprised by the game as I was.

v0mitg0d

The side missions now all have main characters running through them, who are historical figures. They're also great. You get clear rewards for them. They basically reworked this, and did a good job.

You can conquer areas and then recruit gangs to help you.

That sounds great, thanks!

Holy s#it I am legit shocked. AC unity was so bad, I thought AC would never recover. I read the reviews that this game was like a 7 or 8 and thought...nah no way could AC be fun again. I beat the first 3 chapters and holy Crap its a good assassin creed game. It's fun and the story is interesting the characters engaging. It's not like a 9 or 10, but damn it works and is totally solid.

dcassell

Banned
Haven't played an Ubi game all the way through since AC4. The impressions of this are really tempting me.

Would you guys say it harkens back to the AC2 and Brotherhood style of gameplay, in that it's not too offensive with the huge world map filled with blips? Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs felt like there was so much worthless content in it, I'm worried jumping into this will just overwhelm me. Any impressions?

The world map is huge, and filled with a bazillion collectibles. They do try to keep it manageable, ie when you start out you really only need to look at one small zone and not go anywhere else, but it is a Ubisoft game and they all tend to have massive maps, collectibles up the wazoo, etc. If you liked AC2 I think you would like Syndicate, it feels very much like a callback to those games including the mix of animus/modern day.

Few things I am really digging about syndicate:

whistling is back, baby! Man I loved sitting in hay carts assassinating random goons walking by. Firecrackers in Unity were total shit, by comparison, plus either I ran out of firecrackers super fast or I always saved them for "later" and ended up being frustrated at not having any whistle-type options.

combat is not as clunky as Unity. I always felt frustrated in Unity, never quite seeing what was killing me and just automatically restarting if 5+ guys were on my ass. No problems in Syndicate, I can take on large gangs with counter. I know some people will call it ez-mode or whatever, but I don't want to play Batman with a million combat variations, I want to play Assassins Creed.

The world map is clean and simple. No bazillion icons, just stuff around you and fairly clean UI. Its nice that you can buy all the treasure maps for just in game currency, don't feel like the microtransaction stuff is being forced down my throat.

Everything is offline? Yay! No more stupid crap with tablets/phones, or having to go online to do parts of the game.

It's a really good game. A complete surprise. And running around the Thames at night time in a storm setting fire to boats (without even having a quest) was fab.

I almost want to cry tears of joy. Boy, did I want this game to be good.

Sales-wise, I think it'll do worse than Unity, but that's the Sins of the Father/Ghosts-Advanced Warfare thing for you (hell I'm not planning on buying this til after the new year). I kind of hope it does sell worse, if only to show Ubi what damage Unity did to the brand, and have the positive reviews point them in the right direction.

When does the day/night cycle come into effect?

I'm 80% of clearing Whitechapel and it has always been the same time of day.

Edit: Just had a cutscene where none of my characters were visible, just their weapons floating. Heh.

Basketball

I don't like the weapon system

only 3 weapons, repeated animations over and over especially with the knuckles and cane

un-usable rifle that the snipers have

Why can't they bring back the weapon system from brotherhood and all the countless combat animations from 3

Etzo had a knife, crossbow , barehands, assassin blades, swords, maces, axes, throwing knives, a gun, ability to throw weapons (spears,axes ... so satisfying). bombs ..etc

Conner and Aveline had all the badass animations, and all the hidden moves with the smoke bomb/ whip

I hate that you can't even pull out your weapons anymore (since 4),

and Unity had better customization with all the layers

OrochiJR

Oh man, the grappling hook is super cool.

I find it kinda hard to use. Sometimes it works and you see a grapple-on point, but sometimes it doesn't find anything, but maybe that's just me. I did a mission in Sequence 6 yesterday where
you had to tail a chariot and despaired due to the hook working so clumsily. I then tried it again by just running after the chariot on foot and did much better
. The grappling hook in the Batman Arkham games spoiled me in that regard, as that was absolutely phenomenal to use. Ubi should have looked more to emulate that.

Yoday

I am so happy they improved the AA method used for Syndicate. Unity was a blurry mess thanks to the AA used, and Syndicate is significantly sharper looking.

I'm a little torn on the parkour changes. They made some changes that were clearly in response to people complaining about how easy it was to mess up in past games, but it came at the cost of player control. Unity's parkour was much more involved and took some getting used to, but the amount of player control was incredible for those that learned to properly control it. I suppose the changes are for the greater good though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played the first two sequences and memory one of sequence three. So far so good. Still prefer the free running / parkour pre-Unity as im not a fan of having to press the X button while free running. Controls do seem tighter and more responsive thus far. I do wish I could change the button configuration but oh well.

Very happy that I was able to turn off that conflict ring as I hated in right from the start. If only "last known position" was optional as well, I would be even happier.

Love the melee combat. I did this finisher combo with Evie on the train in sequence two where I beat the hell out of a blighter and she uses her knife to stab his hand through the railing of the flatbed car and his hand stayed stuck until she removed it and then leg swept him and killed him. Shit was insane. Basic stuff is similar to Unity but these finishers are far more brutal.

Aside from the free running complaint, only other complaint is the camera is too close at times especially when in sneaking mode and you go against a wall or crate to be in cover. Camera is way too close. Reminds me of Deus Ex.

Definitely off to a better start than Unity and im hoping that it continues as im enjoying the game as expected. :)

For anyone who's finished the game, how many memories are there in the story? I know that there's nine sequences but im hoping that the story isn't as short as it appears. Thanks.

This game is taking FOREVER to download. I purchased it six hours ago and I'm only at 74%. I was able to play the first two missions and really dug both of them, but as the twins happily hitched a ride to
London
, I was met with a loading screen telling me I couldn't play anymore until the game finishes installing. Sadness.

My biggest gripe, coming straight off of Unity is making the tweaked controls extremely bothersome. I imagine things will get better the farther I get away from Unity.

locke_21183

Neo Member
I really love this so far too. I'm about halfway through Memory 4. It seems like from 4 onwards the Memories have way more individual missions than the first 3.

I like the setting, the characters and the gameplay. If you use the grapple a lot, it really changes the pace of the stealth stuff, as you deal with one guy then zoom right back up to the roof again to plan your next move.

The story is really, really abrupt and under-developed so far. The other games tend to either have a fairly drawn-out process by which the main character encounters the Assassins for the first time, and then gets involved with them; or there's a slower setting up of a specific problem that an already-established Assassin is going to face in this particular game. Here it's just two characters who are already assassins literally just deciding in the moment to go to London and free it from the Templars. I guess more involved story points might come in later!

EDIT: oh - the technical side is really great 99% of the time, with a perfectly smooth framerate. But I had one hilarious bug when the character models didn't load during a cutscene. So it looked like something out of The Invisible Man as invisible people spoke and the boxes and weapons they were holding moved around as they moved their invisible bodies and arms.

Sagroth

I'll likely pick this up eventually. Maybe in a buy 2 get 1 free game sale(is Target doing that this year?). I need to play through Unity first, though. I bought it last year and haven't even gotten to the point of being an Assassin yet.

gossi

I'll likely pick this up eventually. Maybe in a buy 2 get 1 free game sale(is Target doing that this year?). I need to play through Unity first, though. I bought it last year and haven't even gotten to the point of being an Assassin yet.

You should probably just skip Unity. Syndicate is much better.

I've been enjoying it so far. Technically it's run fine (PS4). I kinda wish it had come out a week earlier since I know my gaming time is going to be dominated by Halo 5 next week

I really love this so far too. I'm about halfway through Memory 4. It seems like from 4 onwards the Memories have way more individual missions than the first 3.

I like the setting, the characters and the gameplay. If you use the grapple a lot, it really changes the pace of the stealth stuff, as you deal with one guy then zoom right back up to the roof again to plan your next move.

The story is really, really abrupt and under-developed so far. The other games tend to either have a fairly drawn-out process by which the main character encounters the Assassins for the first time, and then gets involved with them; or there's a slower setting up of a specific problem that an already-established Assassin is going to face in this particular game. Here it's just two characters who are already assassins literally just deciding in the moment to go to London and free it from the Templars. I guess more involved story points might come in later!

EDIT: oh - the technical side is really great 99% of the time, with a perfectly smooth framerate. But I had one hilarious bug when the character models didn't load during a cutscene. So it looked like something out of The Invisible Man as invisible people spoke and the boxes and weapons they were holding moved around as they moved their invisible bodies and arms.

I had this bug too, see my post above. Was it during the
train sequence for you?

Karak

Game looks really good at times. The AI reactions are solid, really needs a photomode (I can't see one if it does exist). Not sure screenshots show it at its best though.

Agreed. There are a good number of instances where it really looks good.

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't seem to get the hang of the combat.

It's just super weird to me that one button input = 3-hit combo. Pressing the basic attack button makes Jacob/Evie perform three attacks. The timing for counters seems iffy as well, especially in big[er] groups where I keep getting hit from enemies standing off-screen who suddenly lunge in and hit you. I keep getting caught off-guard.

Also - is there no roll/dodge/dive button? I hate getting ganked and having no way to break out the group.

Naedtrax

Banned
I wonder if the PC version will have the Nvidia addons.. sure it chunked performance, but damn those settings were pretty.

Fordy

If I've never played an AC game before this will I be lost with the plot? (specifically the 'modern day' parts).

Also, how is remoteplay?

HT UK

Just went to buy this online, then realised the PC version isn't out till November.....after Fallout.

Looks like I'll just get this next year instead :/

Top Bottom