• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate |OT| Once more unto the glitch

valkyre

Ok I already made a couple of posts about this, but I am really amazed, baffled and even flat out curious why there was so little response involved.

Guys I cant be the only one with such framerate issues on PS4... it is driving me crazy so just bare with me for a while.

My game certainly does not reflect the Digital Foundry metrics. I dont know if it is due to memory leaks pilling up (I am at 60% overall completion) or some other shenanigans going on, but I face some serious framerate issues , that frankly are even worse than Unity. Yes there are some sections were the game plays at 30 fps but the drops are so frequent that it doesnt make sense that noone is talking about them.

First let me say that:

- I have reinstalled the game 2 times

- I have deleted profile save

- I have rebuilt my PS4 database

- Ps4 is very well ventilated and the fan stays silent with AC Syndicate

- I have tested other games and my PS4 performs normally.

- Syndicate disc is very clean, no scratches or anything.

So, you see, I am at a loss here... on the one hand I cant believe I am the only one to face such issues and be vocal about it. On the other hand, exactly because of that, I am thinking that perhaps there is a defect with my disc? Is that even possible? Though it doesnt make much sense to me really.

When I am at a section with framerate issues (it certainly goes to the low 20s at least) , if I quit the game and restart it at the very same spot, performance is rock solid 30 fps. Then I start going around that city block 1-2 times and return back to that same spot and framerate revert to being crappy. Basically free roaming in the world in street level has become a very choppy experience for me...if i go to the rooftops framerate is ok. But on ground level everything is most of the time not running smoothly.

Please give me a hand here. Not because I care so much anymore about how Syndicate performs in general, but because this is really driving me crazy.

Framerate definitely takes a hit on busy streets with multiple characters. And when driving a carriage. Also in some story missions.

It's fine on the roofs and less populated areas.

It's really not a solid 30fps like some claimed.

valkyre

Framerate definitely takes a hit on busy streets with multiple characters. And when driving a carriage. Also in some story missions.

It's fine on the roofs and less populated areas.

It's really not a solid 30fps like some claimed.

From my experience, its shockingly off of being as solid as Digital Foundry seems to suggest... not even remotely close. At least on street level free roaming situations.

And I cant believe that even if I google about framerate issues with this game I find absolutely NONE. I am not kidding. I can see some reports of preview builds suffering, but I cant for the life of me find it for the released version.

The game literally isnt anywhere close to the metrics going around. Which is extremely weird. I dont know if there is some kind of memory leak going on that makes the game worse as you play more and more of it, and I certainly dont remember the game being so choppy when I started it, but hell what gives?

I bought the game because I thought it had mostly solid performance as DF and other videos/reviews suggested. And yet when I free roam this game is far from it...

I was actually convinced that I was the only one with a problem, hence a defective disc or something, you are the first one to go out and say that framerate isnt as solid as claimed.

leng jai

From my experience, its shockingly off of being as solid as Digital Foundry seems to suggest... not even remotely close. At least on street level free roaming situations.

And I cant believe that even if I google about framerate issues with this game I find absolutely NONE. I am not kidding. I can see some reports of preview builds suffering, but I cant for the life of me find it for the released version.

The game literally isnt anywhere close to the metrics going around. Which is extremely weird. I dont know if there is some kind of memory leak going on that makes the game worse as you play more and more of it, and I certainly dont remember the game being so choppy when I started it, but hell what gives?

I bought the game because I thought it had mostly solid performance as DF and other videos/reviews suggested. And yet when I free roam this game is far from it...

I was actually convinced that I was the only one with a problem, hence a defective disc or something, you are the first one to go out and say that framerate isnt as solid as claimed.

I've posted about the dodgy frame rate in this thread, I even posted about returning it and getting the PC version. It gets really bad while running around crowded areas, and almost 100% of the time when you're "driving". The PC port is fairly solid though.

So I'm returning this and hoping that the PC port is good. I definitely like the game but the framerate is a bit annoying. I'm still miffed at how many reports of solid 30fps there are even on this forum, but to me it feels like spends half the time around 25. "Driving" in particular is pretty much never at 30 and feels terrible. I'm not sure why I seemed to be extra annoyed by it in this game but it might be because the last few games I've played have all been 60fps (UC Remastered, Halo 5, Forza 6, Transformers).

if there wasn't a PC version I'd keep the game because I actually like it quite a bit.s

What's with people saying the frame rate is good? This struggles to stay at 30fps half the time.

SomTervo

I don't have the game yet - just an observer ITT - but from the sounds of things you are either in the extreme minority (so nobody will respond because they can't empathise) or everybody else has lower standards (so nobody will respond because they can't empathise).

Sorry to hear about it. Contact customer support?

Edit: good to see a couple of others are levelling with you.

Edit edit: A trick which worked in Unity was to disconnect from the internet while playing. It sounds like Syndicate is designed very differently, but give it a try?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Game didn't feel much different to me than unity performance wise. It just didn't have the large crowds and pop in issues.

The again I also didn't feel like the game was graphically downgraded much either. Both games are gorgeous to me when you have a well lit area to set the mood.

valkyre

I've posted about the dodgy frame rate in this thread, I even posted about returning it and getting the PC version. It gets really bad while running around crowded areas, and almost 100% of the time when you're "driving". The PC port is fairly solid though.

There are lots of sections of the city where it drops to the low mid 20s, it's very noticeable.

Rooftops are generally fine.

Game didn't feel much different to me than unity performance wise. It just didn't have the large crowds and pop in issues.

The again I also didn't feel like the game was graphically downgraded much either. Both games are gorgeous to me when you have a well lit area to set the mood.

Thanks for all the responses guys. It really is relaxing to see that I am not crazy lol or that my copy is defective or something.

The reason I really wanted an answer was because media and even users havent reported about this issue. And both Digital Foundry and some other comparison are quite non reflective of actual performance of this game.

Just look at that Digital Foundry framerate test. The game literally doesnt drop a single frame in their footage while the player is on foot, only when driving the carriage.

I dont know why, but this doesnt even remotely reflect how the game performs and it would be nice if they revisit the games (possibly with a save file that has something like 40-50% completion) and put the games again to the test.

I bought the game thinking that it is a mostly solid experience based on the framerate tests, and I've come to realize how different reality is.

So, a fair warning then that this game, while an improvement over Unity in terms of performance, its really a far far far cry away from being "solid".

Edit edit: A trick which worked in Unity was to disconnect from the internet while playing. It sounds like Syndicate is designed very differently, but give it a try?

Tried that, didnt help at all unfortunately. I also made a ticket to Ubisoft back in Tuesday, still waiting.

Thanks for all the responses guys. It really is relaxing to see that I am not crazy lol or that my copy is defective or something.

The reason I really wanted an answer was because media and even users havent reported about this issue. And both Digital Foundry and some other comparison are quite non reflective of actual performance of this game.

Just look at that Digital Foundry framerate test. The game literally doesnt drop a single frame in their footage while the player is on foot, only when driving the carriage.

I dont know why, but this doesnt even remotely reflect how the game performs and it would be nice if they revisit the games (possibly with a save file that has something like 40-50% completion) and put the games again to the test.

I bought the game thinking that it is a mostly solid experience based on the framerate tests, and I've come to realize how different reality is.

So, a fair warning then that this game, while an improvement over Unity in terms of performance, its really a far far far cry away from being "solid".

Tried that, didnt help at all unfortunately. I also made a ticket to Ubisoft back in Tuesday, still waiting.

Could've sworn I seen a video claiming to be 30fps but had severe hitching, like the capture equipment wasn't picking it up.

All I can suggest to try and install on a external hard drive, or perhaps if not too much trouble delete a few games and then install Syndicate so it goes onto a different location on the HDD. Hard drives can produce weird faults and sounds like you have some block in the data.

Just opened and started my copy.
My only 2 questions are:
Do the twins have to be lvld seperately?
and does building traversal significantly speed up when you obtain the hook?
Havnt played an AC since brotherhood and I recall climbing being much faster.

12227113_10153713720614197_8980030310852610625_n.jpg

I am done with Assasins Creed Syndicate dispate there are missions and collectibles.
Until Jack the Ripper DLC that is

SpotAnime

Got my PC version and am ready to install. Man, it's been ages since I bought a boxed, physical PC copy. Five install discs!

Here we go...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Just opened and started my copy.
My only 2 questions are:
Do the twins have to be lvld seperately?
and does building traversal significantly speed up when you obtain the hook?
Havnt played an AC since brotherhood and I recall climbing being much faster.

You get the hook through story progress and your experience points always count for both of the twins. However, you level up by spending your skill points you get for racking up experience points, so strictly speaking, as you have to spend the skill points individually for each character, you level up separately.

valkyre

How is the framerate on this? The pop-in as well?

look a few posts above for a more accurate description than the one circulating around comparison tests and reviews...

Game is improved over Unity and on rooftops you can say it is mostly solid 30 fps. But if you are free roaming in street level, the game is droping frames a lot. There are sections of the city were everything is smooth and feels great, but most of the time the game is choppy.

During nighttime fps is better even on street level, and that is because there are not a lot of NPCs or carriages druing nighttime. But nighttime in this game lasts considerably less than daytime.

Overall it aint solid. Not even close to what DF test suggests.

As for pop in, there is pop in , but it is not as noticeable. Its a lot imporved compared to Unity were NPCs pop in right in front of you. I say pop in is not much of an issue in Syndicate.

So, if I'm part-way into Sequence 7, how long do you think I have left if I don't rush things too much? I'm hoping to beat the game soon, sell it and then pick it up for my console of choice.

I was gifted it for another device.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Perhaps you're experiencing framepacing issues? As someone who is quite sensitive to framerate issues, my experience certainly seems to differ from yours. I just sprinted around town for 20 twenty minutes and the only major drop was caused by going into a train station.

Game is seriously gorgeous. It looks much better than Unity imo, Unity had very bland art direction and was incredibly uneven (some things looking fantastic and other things looking like absolute garbage).

Also love that TOD and ambient music are back. So good.

valkyre

Perhaps you're experiencing framepacing issues? As someone who is quite sensitive to framerate issues, my experience certainly seems to differ from yours. I just sprinted around town for 20 twenty minutes and the only major drop was caused by going into a train station.

this sounds so different from my experience ... :(

Can I ask something if I may? I dont know if it cause any trouble what with personnal data and such, or even if it is possible, but would you mind sending me your save file (not profile) just to test and see if it is my save file the culprit? Dont know if my game/save is filled with memory leaks and that has affected my performance, but I would like to test. I could give you my save file as well.

All this as long as i wont cause any trouble/violation or something. It really is just for testing purposes and just to satisfy my curiosity.

this sounds so different from my experience ... :(

Can I ask something if I may? I dont know if it cause any trouble what with personnal data and such, or even if it is possible, but would you mind sending me your save file (not profile) just to test and see if it is my save file the culprit? Dont know if my game/save is filled with memory leaks and that has affected my performance, but I would like to test. I could give you my save file as well.

All this as long as i wont cause any trouble/violation or something. It really is just for testing purposes and just to satisfy my curiosity.
I don't believe you can use other people's save games on PS4/XB1. However, I would suggest launching the game on a Guest account on PS4 (not sure if they have that on XB1?) as that would be new save data so you would be able to check if it was your data or your game.

valkyre

I don't believe you can use other people's save games on PS4/XB1. However, I would suggest launching the game on a Guest account on PS4 (not sure if they have that on XB1?) as that would be new save data so you would be able to check if it was your data or your game.

ah did not know that. Thanks for the info. :)

Truant

Just got to London on the PC version. I don't know if it's the 60 fps or the game, but I'm pretty impressed. Everything from the movement to the combat feels super solid and responsive. Intro missions were both great.

Vastly superior to pretty much anything since Black Flag. Maybe even better seeing as it's more focused. Can't wait to play more.

chadskin

It's a shame the Dreadful Crimes missions are PS4 exclusive because they're really, really fun and also offer a nice money/XP boost.

Have to say, as someone who has completed the story of every AC except 1, Rogue and the Chronicles games, I was extremely skeptical of Syndicate but so far it's an absolute blast.

It's a shame the Dreadful Crimes missions are PS4 exclusive because they're really, really fun and also offer a nice money/XP boost.

Have to say, as someone who has completed the story of every AC except 1, Rogue and the Chronicles games, I was extremely skeptical of Syndicate but so far it's an absolute blast.

They're really that good?

I got the game early, and when I tried to input the codes they wouldn't work because the content wasn't on the store yet. I haven't played it since just prior to release, and wasn't sure if I'd bother with the PS-exclusive stuff.

Corpekata

Banned
Feels like you level up way too fast in this game. Only like 15 percent finished and level 5. Rewards are all over the place. Chests in lower level areas giving me like level 7 loot, needing schematics or decent main mission progress for like level 3 stuff.

They really need to work on their loot system or something. It's better here than in Unity at least so far, but still spending half the time getting gear I've far outleveled.

chadskin

They're really that good?

I got the game early, and when I tried to input the codes they wouldn't work because the content wasn't on the store yet. I haven't played it since just prior to release, and wasn't sure if I'd bother with the PS-exclusive stuff.

There are ten missions in which you investigate crime scenes as well as other places of interest to the crime, interview witnesses and suspects and ultimately accuse one of the suspects of the crime. It's not as full-fledged as Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishment or the like, obviously, but they're pretty well done overall.

I haven't bothered with the exclusive stuff in the past, either, but definitely give one or two of these missions a try.

There are ten missions in which you investigate crime scenes as well as other places of interest to the crime, interview witnesses and suspects and ultimately accuse one of the suspects of the crime. It's not as full-fledged as Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishment or the like, obviously, but they're pretty well done overall.

I haven't bothered with the exclusive stuff in the past, either, but definitely give one or two of these missions a try.

My plan is to sell the PS4 copy and pick it up for Xbox One, to play through that version as well. I was going to include the codes, but maybe I'll try the missions before I sell it instead.

Playing the game on PC. Looks and runs great, and holy shit, it's fun. I love the game so far. So much to do and all of it really enjoyable.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This game is absolutely amazing on PC and has reinvigorated my love for the franchise. I haven't enjoyed an Assassin's Creed since Black Flag but this tops it easily. Everything just works and it works really fucking well.

Well done Ubisoft.

This game is absolutely amazing on PC and has reinvigorated my love for the franchise. I haven't enjoyed an Assassin's Creed since Black Flag but this tops it easily. Everything just works and it works really fucking well.

Well done Ubisoft.

Yup, it's surprising how polished the PC port is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I fully finished the game yesterday, platinum and all. It's firmly in my top 5 of the year right now though probably not number one. It has its issues, but it's the second time I've truly loved an AC game. And I think Jacob's growth throughout the story and some of his writing is pretty amazing.

Incidentally, I still found Evie very dull even by the end and felt like she had no real arc and that nothing she did really mattered despite it feeling like the game treated her like the main character. Maxwell Roth was also a much more entertaining villain than Starrick who I feel would have been much better if they actually attempted to portray him as the guy who considers himself the good guy like he says in his dialogue. Because with what the twins, and Jacob especially, do it would be very easy to go that route and make a compelling villain.
But then he randomly smokes innocent people in cutscenes to show MAXIMUM EDGE while talking about how he's trying to protect people.

Peterthumpa

This game is seriously good. This is what Unity should have been. Franchise fatigue would never set in last year with an entry like Syndicate.

A shame that a lot of people won't even try it because of that.

Bollocks

Finished it, it was off to a good start but I was disappointed by the ending.

It kind of ended abruptly, I hoped for something more mysterious also throughout the game, like in Assassins Creed 2. Going underground, hidden cult and whatnot. Instead you find a secret vault, slide down, literally climb 1 ledge and there you are, end fight. Done.

It seemed to me that the ending was rushed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Only played an hour or so on PC so far, but I'm really enjoying this. It actually feels like a proper game again, and it really hasn't for me since ACII or so.

Grisby

Picked this back up again after Halo and Tomb Raider. I've actually been thinking about it this entire time.

Just been liberating sections of the city and having some good fun doing so. It's still AC, but the missions feel better/more fun and the rope tool was something this series sorely needed.

Did a dreadful crime mission and it's way more involved than what I thought it would be. Good stuff. Wouldn't mind unlocking some more outfits for Evie though.

I'm also watching Penny Dreadful for the first time and I've got The Knick lined up next. I'm in some Victorian ass Victorian waters and I love it.

Lime

Any way to edit the day/night cycle? I want to play this during night time the most, as that echoes the Victorian London setting better for me.

It seems like a waste with so much daylight all the time

foladar

Quick question re: story (towards the end)
Is there another point where it requires you to take over areas? For example, to start seq 8, it's forcing you to take over 3 sections? Does this happen again for seq 9?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The London Drift perk requirement really ought to be downscaled -- drift around a corner 75 times is far more reasonable than drift around five corners 75 times. I don't think I've ever used a carriage when outside of a bounty mission.

I'm loving this tbh. It's so good and I hope people do give it a chance. I honestly loathed Unity but I finished it anyway so that I could criticise it and have grounds to.

Imo it's amazing how they went from the worst game in the series to one of the best.

Anyway, OT, how do you execute the multiple takedowns? Sometimes I'll get three or four people all in near death state super close to me and then Evie will just kill them one by one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyway, OT, how do you execute the multiple takedowns? Sometimes I'll get three or four people all in near death state super close to me and then Evie will just kill them one by one.

Position yourself such that two or more enemies near death have a white outline then press attack. Whether or not you can actually highlight multiple enemies seems to depend on how much clear space is in your immediate vicinity, which is why multi-kills in street fights are spotty while fight club rings are much more reliable.

is this game hard or what? jez man compared to the other AC games this one is rather tough lol
Did you play Unity?

Most enemies have guns which can take off a ton of your health with no warning and no opportunity to dodge

Combat was frustrating and confusing and sometimes you'd get hit and then it would immediately trigger a kill animation causing you to reload

Stupid difficulty spike areas where there was literally no chance you'd survive (unlike Syndicate where if you are resourceful you can take on areas 2-3 levels above you)

Lime

Thoughts after 30% in:

• Story is complete whatever. I don't care at all and every character seems to be care-free without a worry or drama. There's no drama and no weight to anything, everyone just jokes around while murdering the evil mustache guy's henchmen.
  • Evie's design is really, really good. The long skirt integration into the assassin's design makes much sense and fits the setting nicely.
  • I wish there were more night and evening time. The vast majority of the time I spent is in daylight, as if there's something wrong with the day/night cycle in the game.
  • Bugs and glitches can be kind of annoying.
  • Gameplay is easy as always. I wish combat was better.
  • Driving is ridiculous and completely non-sensical. It takes away from the game and everything becomes a joke when I'm running through people, lightposts, trees, and horses. It's Sain's Row silly.

So yeah, the game is high-production values good dumb fun with a shitty story.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Thoughts after 30% in:

• Story is complete whatever. I don't care at all and every character seems to be care-free without a worry or drama. There's no drama and no weight to anything, everyone just jokes around while murdering the evil mustache guy's henchmen.
  • Evie's design is really, really good. The long skirt integration into the assassin's design makes much sense and fits the setting nicely.
  • I wish there were more night and evening time. The vast majority of the time I spent is in daylight, as if there's something wrong with the day/night cycle in the game.
  • Bugs and glitches can be kind of annoying.
  • Gameplay is easy as always. I wish combat was better.
  • Driving is ridiculous and completely non-sensical. It takes away from the game and everything becomes a joke when I'm running through people, lightposts, trees, and horses. It's Sain's Row silly.

So yeah, the game is high-production values good dumb fun with a shitty story.
The story is the most lighthearted of all the AC games. There are some good dramatic moments later on though. The night time iirc lasts for only ten minutes compared to the half hour day. Which is odd because Victorian London but I remember them saying that they wanted to avoid Victorian London tropes like a super dark color pallette, hopefully cheats are on the way so that we can set a specific TOD.

Top Bottom