• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assault Android Cactus |OT| Do Androids Dream of Bullet Hell? (Multiple platforms)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I had $10 of card money sitting in my steam wallet, so said to hell with it and picked it up.

Paz

You all made an epic game. I loooooooooooooove arcade shooters and this one is among the best! I loved the demo to death and can't wait to dig into this. All the praise and success gained from this labor of love is well deserved. Thank you!!

Thanks man, it's really heartening to hear things like this :)

We're small, our reach is even smaller, the chances of financial success even smaller again, but there's nothing quite like knowing someone out there just digs the hell out of what you're doing.

Btw we just updated the demo today, same levels as before but all the new polish/visuals/balance so it should be a ton better :)

This is one of my favourite twin-stick shooters in a long, long time.

I'm having difficulty deciding whether I favor Assault Android Cactus or Resogun after binging on the latter for the past week (in part thanks to its layered scoring mechanics), but the fact WitchBlade can stand toe-to-toe against Housemarque in my eyes is an remarkable achievement in its own right. Definitely going to replay this some more now in an attempt to acquire S+ rankings with multiple characters, and suffice to say being greeted by this unlock got me mildly excited.

Nezzhil

YEEEEEEEEEES!!!

I was waiting for this day since the reveal trailer :D And I loved the demo.
But I'm still a terrible twin-stick arcade player :(

Good luck Paz!

Leatherface

Thanks man, it's really heartening to hear things like this :)

We're small, our reach is even smaller, the chances of financial success even smaller again, but there's nothing quite like knowing someone out there just digs the hell out of what you're doing.

Btw we just updated the demo today, same levels as before but all the new polish/visuals/balance so it should be a ton better :)

I will check it out for sure. By the way, even if financial success is tough for this game I think doors will most certainly open. We are a bunch of hardened, stiff nosed gamers here. If we're impressed you can bet others will take notice. I think you have a lot of good things to look forward to. Just sayin'. Good luck! :)

I think this game will do pretty damn well sales wise.
Own it on PC but cant wait for PS4+Vita

EDIT: Please please please don't do the "PS4 version now, Vita in a few months (maybe)" thing that's so popular with indies lately..

MaLDo

Hi Paz, congrats because the game looks fantastic.

I really hate Unity Engine but maybe I can step over it if only...

Is exclusive fullscreen mode available?
Is framerate really really smooth? I mean, no little hitches here and there because, you know, Unity is loading assets or losing refreshrate sync because rounded fixed tic?

Thank you!

Sinatar

Is framerate really really smooth? I mean, no little hitches here and there because, you know, Unity is loading assets or losing refreshrate sync because rounded fixed tic?

Thank you!

Try the demo?

Shaneus

Thank you!
This thing looks and runs amazingly. IIRC it was designed (and won) some Intel chipset award thing that required it to run on a fairly base-level laptop. And always 60fps too!

From memory, will be 60fps on all platforms too. Including Vita.

Peterthumpa

Thank you!

Wish I was so specific with my gaming issues, haha.

drotahorror

Very happy to see this finally out. I've had it on my wishlist for years, hoping it would go on sale when it was in EA. The only sale it ever got was what it is currently, but screw it I'll bite.

iosefe

Big question for Paz!

can each different input work together? meaning DS4 with 360 controller? or is it, DS4+KB or 360+Kb exclusively

Thank you!

Booted up the demo and played it at 144FPS, seemed dead smooth.

Seems like a cool game, will definitely check it out after I am done playing Metal Gear.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
YAY 3 YEARS AND ITS FINALLY OUT!

Hope everyone digs it :) Please let me know what you think, it feels so strange to be at this point after so long.

I have a PS4 (and pc and just about everything) but I really dig off tv play, are there any gfx differences on WiiU besides lower res? Framerate? Sfx?

Cheers, game looks fab

Paz

Big question for Paz!

can each different input work together? meaning DS4 with 360 controller? or is it, DS4+KB or 360+Kb exclusively

You can mix and match :)

I have a PS4 (and pc and just about everything) but I really dig off tv play, are there any gfx differences on WiiU besides lower res? Framerate? Sfx?

Cheers, game looks fab

Can't talk to specific differences yet because we're still in heavy development on it, but the Wii U version won't be identical to the PS4/High spec PC version no. We'll make sure it still looks good.

Gazunta

#TEAMHOLLY REPRESENT

So very very proud of the team. Local devs done really damn well here.

I bought the Early Access as soon as I got home from playing it at AusPAX 2013 and have sunk a lot of time into it since and it just gets better and better. Absolutely can't wait to finally play the full game tonight. Congratulations Paz and team!

GET THIS GAME GAF SERIOUSLY

epmode

I bought this thanks to those ~50 FPS GIFs from the last year. Y'know, the ones that showed the arena rearranging itself.

I like it so far!

Leatherface

Just a heads up to anyone using the PS4 controller on Windows 10. There is native DS4 support in this game so if you are using one and also use DS4windows you will end up controlling two characters at once while playing through the game by leaving that software enabled. I didn't realize this at first and thought this was some sort of design change (lol). I made it all the way past the first boss controlling two characters before it finally clicked that I didn't need it running. whoops! Much easier now haha

AWESOME game BTW. Buy this ASAP! :eek:

iosefe

Just a heads up to anyone using the PS4 controller on Windows 10. There is native DS4 support in this game so if you are using one and also use DS4windows you will end up controlling two characters at once while playing through the game by leaving that software enabled. I didn't realize this at first and thought this was some sort of design change (lol). I made it all the way past the first boss controlling two characters before it finally clicked that I didn't need it running. whoops! Much easier now haha

AWESOME game BTW. Buy this ASAP! :eek:

i love games with native support.

but that sounds kinda awesome in its own right. playing double characters...i need to try this

EDIT:

This is AWESOME.

Sinatar

Hmm not really my cup of tea honestly.

2 main gripes:

1. It soooo *slow*. The movement rate when the accelerate power up is on feels like what the normal movement should be, and accelerate should double that.
2. Battery power ups despawning. Nothing like getting a game over 5 minutes later because you failed to notice a power up earlier in the level. There are way too many particle effects and enemies on screen to make an item that makes you fail when missed decay after a short period.

epmode

You have a point there. I have a hard time telling the difference between bullets and those white weapon XP things. Take a look at a Cave game for ideas on making projectiles stand out.

I didn't have any trouble with batteries since the UI really tries to point it out, not to mention the audio cue.

Shaneus

Hmm not really my cup of tea honestly.

2 main gripes:

1. It soooo *slow*. The movement rate when the accelerate power up is on feels like what the normal movement should be, and accelerate should double that.
Would probably make it easier though, yeah? When the "normal" speed is offered in power-up form, I feel like I have a distinct advantage. If that advantage was had all the time, the game wouldn't be as balls-out challenging as it is now.

2. Battery power ups despawning. Nothing like getting a game over 5 minutes later because you failed to notice a power up earlier in the level. There are way too many particle effects and enemies on screen to make an item that makes you fail when missed decay after a short period.
Like the poster before said, I think the batteries have enough audio and visual cues to cause you to neglect to see it. I've always seen them, the problem comes in working through the horde until you're close enough for it to draw itself to you.

I can't disagree with the earlier poster about the power-up dot things, either. Maybe a more luminescent colour (like purple) could be used to better distinguish them from bullets. But it's not a major issue for me, they're magnetised just like the battery and seem to find themselves to me anyways.

ricki42

Fantastic game. I really like the character design. Great performance too, runs at steady 120 fps at highest settings.
More importantly, it's fun to play. Now I just need to learn how not to suck...

C.Banana

Neo Member
I like the aesthetic of this game. Is there any story that would make it good for single player or would I just be buying it for the multiplayer?

Paz

I like the aesthetic of this game. Is there any story that would make it good for single player or would I just be buying it for the multiplayer?

There is a story thread throughout the game with intro/outro cut scenes and different dialogue for each boss depending on what character you play. I won't pretend it's the most intricate thing, but I think it's a lot more than you'll find in similar games. We actually built it first as a single player game and added co-op as a bonus mode, not the other way around.

Oh and LithiumSpade - I can't say for sure since we're yet to finish all optimizations but the plan right now is to have as much feature parity as we can for the Vita version, the things it will be missing are co-op (as there is no network play) and possibly the EX Options related to co-op like adding AI and allowing duplicate character selections.

Top Bottom