• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot Director rules out PSVR2 version but wants to hear from fans about potential PC version

But ya gotta get those DualSense features working, Sony.

Depends on the game, but a lot of them already work. I'm playing Ghostwire: Tokyo now with all the DualSense features. I just finished Ghost of Tsushima, and that used all the DualSense features over wireless BT.

BlackTron

You guys ready to make that PSN account for PC then?

lol nice one. Quick history lesson, that blew up because they let people buy and start playing the game without PSN requirement, then when they added it, people in countries/territories with Steam but not PSN got locked out of the game.

Love how people make it just about making an account though, to this day.

Says the guy getting all passive-aggressive because someone isn't putting his favorite plastic toybox on a pedestal.

If you knew my stance on this I actually wish Sony leaned more into PC and developed their own day and date store with cross buy from owners of the console games

Last edited:

Holammer

Day 1 buy for me. I loved the PS5 mini game. If they bundled that with the PC version, it'd be amazing.
Yes, they should also remake Astro bot rescue mission and add it as an update later, with and without VR. Everyone would like that.

You guys ready to make that PSN account for PC then?
Considering the violent rejection of PSN on HD2? Requiring it for Concord might have been a significant factor in its utter failure.
Someone at Sony is no doubt going over the numbers as we speak.

Not trying to be salty but I really have no interest in playing Astrobot outside of VR. I didn't even finish Playroom. It's not that the game will be bad, but if gameplay is similar to Rescue Mission, it's going to be entry level platformer mechanics. Rescue Mission's gameplay was forgettable but the VR aspect made it brilliant. Playroom was a good use of the dualsense but I'm not interested in PS Easter eggs.

As dumb as it sounds, I'm more excited for the Epic Mickey remaster than I am Astrobot, lol.

Sony is so lost this gen. Brilliant hardware and few games that take advantage of it. Amazing how they keep stepping in it and seem to not learn anything.

BlackTron

If you knew my stance on this I actually wish Sony leaned more into PC and developed their own day and date store with cross buy from owners of the console games

I think that if you really like Playstation games you should probably not want them on PC day and date, or ever for that matter.

For the same reason I wouldn't want Nintendo to go PC, the current strategy results in plenty of resources for them to keep pumping games and I don't want them to fuck it up by, for some bizzaro reason, copying Microsoft.

Three

Lord Sony how stupid can you be and I guarantee is the new PlayStation leadership making these dumbass decisions of not supporting their own platforms to the fullest. 🤦🏿‍♂️
Sounds more like that the dev wants public opinion to shape decisions with leadership. Ones that might not have a PC version currently planned.

Fess

Remember all the hilarious meltdowns when BG3 was announced for ps5? Me either. Why are console bros like this?
Because console exclusivity is the last real reason to own a console. Walls are closing in. Games are (usually) better on PC, there is modding, free online, higher resolution, better graphics, higher framerates, there is competent TV and couch gaming now, handheld gaming, same controllers, and so on.

I like Sony’s PC ports for selfish reasons but I don’t think it’s a good strategy for Playstation. Might be a good strategy for Sony, more money, but if that’s all they want they should drop the delays and go day 1 to take full advantage of the release hype.

Last edited:
Here comes the whining about PC ports. I never got why PS5 or console exclusive gamers care so much about PC ports, it literally doesn’t impact you at all.

This is false; it does impact console players. They have to wait longer to get 1P games because development of the PC version doesn't wait until the console version's gone gold. It starts during development of the console version, stretching resources. If it's Day 1 on PC, then dev time and resources are split between console (and it's one profile, maybe two for the Pro) and PC with its dozens of profiles to optimize for, simultaneously.

Because the resources get stretched out between them, that's less for optimization, and console players probably end up with more bugs as a result. SIE's 1P games have been buggier this gen on average than any gen prior, and it's not a coincidence that's happened just as they have been pushing hard into the PC ports. Sure, there haven't been any game-breaking bugs, but considering polish is one of SIE's tentpoles, a few of their big releases this gen have not had the polish of previous releases. HFW's Day 1 bugs come to mind.

So the idea console players aren't affected, is just false. I didn't even mention all the other ways they are impacted, just the two most obvious ones.

At this point there's really no reason to keep playing on PS5. You can get a lot of benefits playing on PC, and PS5 exclusive titles are probably something from the past.

Hoping for a Death Stranding 2 day one on PC.

Man, if that gets shown at TGS and it's Day 1 on Steam, that's gonna be a dreadful day.

At that point, SIE and Microsoft Gaming will practically be twins. They already look a lot more related than they ever did last gen, that's for sure. I hate to say it, but the headquarters being moved to California has done more bad than good for SIE.

I'm willing to bet a shiny nickel that the PC version will be missing content, levels, stuff only available on the PS5 version.

Did any of the other SIE ports to PC have content or levels missing?

Sounds more like that the dev wants public opinion to shape decisions with leadership. Ones that might not have a PC version currently planned.

I don't think a dev is in the position to force their bosses to make a version the bosses didn't already have planned. This would be them trying to use the public to pressure SIE like Arrowhead did, but this dude works directly for SIE. Frankly, if that's what they're doing they better start updating their resume...

...which is what I would be saying, but this is the same SIE that caved in to Steam user pressure in a record 48 hours. They might just take the word of a few dozen PC players pretending to be thousands of accounts as push for a PC version to release six months later 😑

Last edited:
I think that if you really like Playstation games you should probably not want them on PC day and date, or ever for that matter.

For the same reason I wouldn't want Nintendo to go PC, the current strategy results in plenty of resources for them to keep pumping games and I don't want them to fuck it up by, for some bizzaro reason, copying Microsoft.

I hope Nintendo does the same thing. Its not much resources to port games

BlackTron

What exactly are you talking about otherwise?

h1jOz9f.gif

BlackTron

What I mean is that Nintendo has a healthy ecosystem which makes them ridiculous bank that they can reinvest into making good games.

I know you don't think they would fuck their ecosystem by going PC, even though Microsoft already offered a case study, so I have little energy to break it down for nothing.

What I mean is that Nintendo has a healthy ecosystem which makes them ridiculous bank that they can reinvest into making good games.

I know you don't think they would fuck their ecosystem by going PC, even though Microsoft already offered a case study, so I have little energy to break it down for nothing.

Nintendo can make their own PC store and get the same revenue. They only miss out on hardware sales which they don’t profit much from to begin with

BlackTron

Nintendo can make their own PC store and get the same revenue. They only miss out on hardware sales which they don’t profit much from to begin with

Like I said, I already know you think this and no matter what I say you're not budging. Prefer to save my breath and agree to disagree.

Could careless the game plays like butter and looks glorious on ps5, waiting months/years for some maybe pc version is not on the menu however if it comes to pc it will have a hacked vr mode they better match on psvr2 or they will get flamed for that

Zathalus

This is false; it does impact console players. They have to wait longer to get 1P games because development of the PC version doesn't wait until the console version's gone gold. It starts during development of the console version, stretching resources. If it's Day 1 on PC, then dev time and resources are split between console (and it's one profile, maybe two for the Pro) and PC with its dozens of profiles to optimize for, simultaneously.

Because the resources get stretched out between them, that's less for optimization, and console players probably end up with more bugs as a result. SIE's 1P games have been buggier this gen on average than any gen prior, and it's not a coincidence that's happened just as they have been pushing hard into the PC ports. Sure, there haven't been any game-breaking bugs, but considering polish is one of SIE's tentpoles, a few of their big releases this gen have not had the polish of previous releases. HFW's Day 1 bugs come to mind.

So the idea console players aren't affected, is just false. I didn't even mention all the other ways they are impacted, just the two most obvious ones.
Where is your evidence of this? Sony buying Nixxes and using other porting studios contradicts everything you have mentioned here. These Sony ports (the ones not using Unreal engine) also clearly show that the engines are still heavily optimized for the PS5 architecture and have not been retooled for PC at all.

BlackTron

Could careless the game plays like butter and looks glorious on ps5, waiting months/years for some maybe pc version is not on the menu however if it comes to pc it will have a hacked vr mode they better match on psvr2 or they will get flamed for that

If people hack in VR they will just see what a poor VR game it is compared to the first one because it wasn't made as one. Which is why the director wanted to go all-in one way or the other at the start of development.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
How fun that must be to be the enthusiastic person who bought a PSVR2 , watching it go downhill and finally learn that one of the best PSVR1 game sequel won't ever make it to the PSVR2.

Sony sometimes are dropping the ball. They leave you wandering what the hell they're smoking.

Last edited:

BlackTron

How fun that must be to be the enthusiastic person who bought a PSVR2 , watching it go downhill and finally learn that one of the best PSVR1 game sequel won't ever make it to the PSVR2.

Sony sometimes are dropping the ball. They leave you wandering what the hell they're smoking.

Understandable. They don't want to limit the audience to PSVR owners this time.

Or PS owners for that matter

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
No, they are tricking people. The same way Microsoft's trying to "trick" people to pay for BO3 by omitting Game Pass from being mentioned directly in the marketing.

SIE officially have this "case-by-case" policy on record for their PC ports, and they word it that way to be intentional ambiguous and put doubt in people's mind if a game will come to PC. Meanwhile, their actions this gen have been them porting basically all of their titles from 2020-onward to PC in increasingly shorter windows.

So then you have someone one the Astro Bot team a few weeks ago say they can't picture the game on other platforms because of how "uniquely PlayStation" it is, or whatever that's supposed to mean, and just a few weeks later up to its PS5 release they're basically teasing the PC crowd for a potential port? Maybe SIE and other companies think a lot of other people have the memory of goldfishes, but I'm not one of 'em.

If they weren't trying to trick people to maximize their revenue at the expense of potential customers doing what's best for their own wallet, they'd just outright go "hey, this is releasing on PS5 at launch, but we'll have a PC version in the near future. Stay tuned for more information.". But they aren't doing that, because they're worried some of those Day 1 paypigs will just wait to get the game on Steam where SIE makes less money....but the only ones forcing SIE to put it there in the first place are themselves (and maybe Sony Corp higher-ups)!

Me personally, it's not about the game being on more or less platforms, although I don't think there's anything stopping someone from getting a PlayStation to play a game that's just on that platform, and the game being a real exclusive isn't "anti-consumer" in any way whatsoever. If you don't have the money to get the system for the games, get a side gig. Really, what it's about is if a company's going to put their games out on multiple platforms in due time and I don't naturally have FOMO to play the game at launch, don't try to force FOMO by acting like the game'll be exclusive one place, only to turn around and announce a port a few months later.

If you're playing on multiple platforms anyway, chances are you'd just like to buy the game once, preferably where you think it'll play best. And since SIE have been doing this PC strategy, often times the best place to play their games is on a PC (if your setup is good enough). If the game's good enough and brings enough hype on its own merits, you'll still get a ton of Day 1 sales on the console anyway....

....right?

This you lamenting that Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2025 was only announced for PC?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/genki-announces-tokyo-xtreme-racer-for-pc.1674140/post-269476438

Why? Going by your logic exclusives are a good thing and allows them to focus all their resources and focus on one version of the game.

People really need to get over it. Sony has been doing these ports for like 5 years now. They aren’t gonna stop. Sony isn’t Nintendo and can’t carry a console with exclusive first party games and their budgets are astronomical, may as well try to make some cash in places where nobody owns consoles like Asia. I bet Sony is keenly aware of the Wukong numbers.

BlackTron

I was thinking about a modified version additionally to the pancake version.

Just like Capcom did with RE7 and Village!

Yeah I get that, but I also get why the director wanted to know from the get-go. So he doesn't later have to shoehorn a VR experience into a game he would have designed differently had it been a VR experience. Astro-bot wasn't just a normal platformer with VR mode, it was designed around the gimmick.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yeah I get that, but I also get why the director wanted to know from the get-go. So he doesn't later have to shoehorn a VR experience into a game he would have designed differently had it been a VR experience. Astro-bot wasn't just a normal platformer with VR mode, it was designed around the gimmick.
"I get it"

*Continues to not get it*

DaGwaphics

This true, but you could still make a VR version of the game. It would just be less VRified than Rescue Mission.

This. They need to start to embrace VR where the vantage point is that of someone holding the camera versus the playable character. Would open a lot more games to VR and solve some of the jankyness of trying to get flat games over there. I feel like Hitman VR would be a better game if this is what they had gone with.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is patently false. Sony's studios take full advantage of the PS5 and aren't slowed down or even consider PC during development. This is Nixxes' job and why Sony acquired them.

BlackTron

lmfao what a middle finger to the people who actually buy and support Sony products. Hey you bought our really expensive vr? fuck you! Hey buddy who doesn't even own a ps5, want our game?

But I heard this was the path to greater profits. If you're making the highest margins in gaming by defending your walled garden, you could only be making more if you tore the walls down. The only costs are porting costs and losing a few hardware sales.

Sure you also pay the cost of destroying your brand's machine but that isn't reflected on this quarter's spreadsheet and tomorrow's CEO will have to deal with the fallout so who cares.

Exclusivity has been the pillar of gaming success since time began. The very second they give it up the value of the brand starts to dissipate. Of course it won't be overnight but they're working fast to catch up to Xbox.

kevboard

Part of the appeal of these games is the unique DualSense features which I doubt will translate well to PC.

Still, for those who refuse to buy a PS5, I’m glad they get to experience this gem.

let's hope that those are only a nice extra. because if you can't remove these and still have a really good game left, then is it really a good game to begin with 🤷

I personally of course wouldn't play it with anything else but a Dualsense (finally a game that actually uses the damn thing again!)

but either way, the Dualsense is PC compatible, so selling a PC game that is known for really cool DualSense support could sell controllers. and controllers are one of the many things 1st party manufactures use to recoup money from their lossleader aka. their console.

Top Bottom