• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot Director rules out PSVR2 version but wants to hear from fans about potential PC version

kevboard

lol nice one. Quick history lesson, that blew up because they let people buy and start playing the game without PSN requirement, then when they added it, people in countries/territories with Steam but not PSN got locked out of the game.

Love how people make it just about making an account though, to this day.

the real issue is every time making an account has zero benefits, and basically only drawbacks. and currently the PSN account on PC is exactly that.

it limits global reach, and has zero benefits for the user.

Sony needs to change that. cross progression, cross platform trophies as the minimum

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Thread predictably turned into a salt mine. Pic related, this is my after my shift in the mines:

DWnbKQY.jpg

Gaiff

Isn't it a single-player game? I thought the modus operandi was that you don't need one unless you want to access multiplayer stuff.
Nope. Sony wants your precious data. It’ll become mandatory for every game starting with Ragnarok.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nope. Sony wants your precious data. It’ll become mandatory for every game starting with Ragnarok.

And that's fine if it's communicated beforehand and a mandatory requirement for the game. People can choose to buy or not buy based on that.

The helldivers issue which started this whole fiasco was mainly focused around people who had already bought the game potentially losing access to it.

xVodevil

Well if it had local coop to play with gf then hell yeah we're in! ... But it seems that's not the case and yeah Sackboy didn't do that great either on Steam, too bad.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game looks cool but some seem to expect it to be the 2nd coming of Christ or something.

I'd be fine with a PC port, would get it later when it's cheap specially if I ever get a Dualsense controller (once they add headphones support)

Fabieter

Like which ones?

Playing on PC you get:

- free multiplayer/free saves;
- better prices and promotions (at least in my region);
- better graphics/performance (with a little bit more investment);
- acess to all Xbox games (without waiting), gamepass, Steam, etc.

I play exclusively on Playstation platforms since 2018, but I see PC being a better platform overall these days, and Playstation is not giving enough benefits for PS5 be worth.

The only reason for consoles these days are if you like physical gaming and the upfront cost is lower.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Going to PC will do more harm than good for Sony. I understand it for GAAS games or mainly online games, other than that it will simply dilute the PS brand.

Also PC folks want EVERYTHING to be on Steam and only Steam annoyingly 🤣

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm just glad to see it coming over. I was so sure it would be PS5 exclusives due to how tied it is with the PS brand, but I guess to Sony literally nothing is off the table

Fabieter

They're not tricking anyone. You pay $70 to get the game at launch like most of their games. You can also wait a while to get it on PC or cheaper on PS5. At this point, it's clear that the PS5 users are the primary customers who get everything day 1. That they will release the game later on PC isn't "tricking" anyone unless you somehow see more value in a game that's not available on other systems and you feel it loses its value once ported.

They ported their most iconic franchises to PC already. There was never any going back.

At this point, they should focus on offering a better service on the PS5 to convince people to stay and do pc games day one. It's strange that they continue to rely on exclusives, as it seems like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Fabieter

Sounds more like that the dev wants public opinion to shape decisions with leadership. Ones that might not have a PC version currently planned.

Stop putting doubt in people heads. It's happening. And sony should fucking stop their fucking mind games too. If you want to sell more games go ahead an release on everything.

Fabieter

This is patently false. Sony's studios take full advantage of the PS5 and aren't slowed down or even consider PC during development. This is Nixxes' job and why Sony acquired them.

We don't have any prove for either statement. They could very well streamline their development to have smoother porting at the costs of a bit less optimized ps5 versions. We will never know.

I genuinely feel for PSVR2 owners, that must feel like a kick in the teeth. I honestly thought there would be an Astrobot PSVR2 game on release. It's not looking to good for a game further down the line from the looks of things.
Yea, there's thankfully good 3rd party support but Sony hasn't been doing anything worthwhile post-launch for PSVR2. Astrobot was the one thing i figured would come to PSVR2 but now that it's not, I'm moving forward and assuming that Sony doesn't intend to do anything when it comes to software support.

Hudo

Depending on the quality of Astro Bot, I might give them my fake data.

No way I am doing anything for Ragnarok, tho. They can keep that turd of game.

Will buy it on PC when it's even cheaper. Got way too many games to play now. No reason to even buy a PlayStation anymore. PC and Nintendo buyer right here lol.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Why wouldn’t a ps5 owner pick it up for ps5?

Not like the experience is any different
I'd rather not ever buy anything tied to a PS console ever again. I will be PC or Xbox PC next gen and this way I can carry that purchase forward. I dont plan on buying a PS6 if I can avoid it. I'd be fine supporting a PS Store on PC too. Doesnt have to be Steam, just done tying my money to their hardware.

Three

Stop putting doubt in people heads. It's happening. And sony should fucking stop their fucking mind games too. If you want to sell more games go ahead an release on everything.
It's speculation is what it is. It will probably happen later but again it's not a certainty. Them saying they would like to hear from them just means keep asking for it and it might happen.

keefged4

I cant see why anyone would be upset about this potentially coming to PC, It'll provide a better experience than PS5 and Sony will make money either way which paves the way to more sequels, so surely you can take that as a win win no?

Switch 2.

This time next year :/

I hope Nintendo does the same thing. Its not much resources to port games

Not happening in our lifetime.

What I mean is that Nintendo has a healthy ecosystem which makes them ridiculous bank that they can reinvest into making good games.

I know you don't think they would fuck their ecosystem by going PC, even though Microsoft already offered a case study, so I have little energy to break it down for nothing.

At least with Microsoft, they have a vested interest in PC with Windows, and to an extent, DX12U (which GPU makers like Nvidia and AMD design the featuresets of their GPUs around), Office suite, etc. Also: OEMs making prebuilts with Windows pre-installed.

Sony have none of these vested interests but seem interested thinking they can beat Microsoft on Microsoft's home turf & territory, by using Valve who...Microsoft are also using? And yes I am using "beat" in a figurative, joking manner. I know that's not why SIE are doing these ports, but again they don't have the vested interests in PC that Microsoft do so this could really backfire on them long-term.

Nintendo can make their own PC store and get the same revenue. They only miss out on hardware sales which they don’t profit much from to begin with

Uh, Nintendo's model has always been to make profit off their own hardware, from Day 1. Only the Virtual Boy and early days of 3DS (and arguably, early Wii U days) lost them money on hardware. And with the 3DS that's because they did a price cut to stimulate sales after the launch period.

Outside of that, they've been getting some big profits off their hardware over the course of a generation, as far back as the Famicom/NES.

Where is your evidence of this? Sony buying Nixxes and using other porting studios contradicts everything you have mentioned here. These Sony ports (the ones not using Unreal engine) also clearly show that the engines are still heavily optimized for the PS5 architecture and have not been retooled for PC at all.

In the Insomniac ransomware hack, there was a part where Jim required ports costing more than $30 million to go through him for approval. That wouldn't be there unless there were indeed ports costing more than $30 million.

Wolverine was revealed back in 2021, the assumption that it'd be a 2024 or 2025 release, going by Insomniac's normal cadence. Instead it's a 2026 release going by the ransomware hack info. There is already a PC build available and in fact playable (tho illegally) while console players get jack shit for a demo in the meantime or even an update on the game's development process.

If I had time I could list more examples.

This you lamenting that Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2025 was only announced for PC?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/genki-announces-tokyo-xtreme-racer-for-pc.1674140/post-269476438

Why? Going by your logic exclusives are a good thing and allows them to focus all their resources and focus on one version of the game.

People really need to get over it. Sony has been doing these ports for like 5 years now. They aren’t gonna stop. Sony isn’t Nintendo and can’t carry a console with exclusive first party games and their budgets are astronomical, may as well try to make some cash in places where nobody owns consoles like Asia. I bet Sony is keenly aware of the Wukong numbers.

Western players barely did anything for Wukong's Steam numbers; vast majority of that was from China, a specific market. If SIE had common sense they'd just make China-specific Steam/WeGame builds of their games for that market, bring those to other markets years later, and push litigation against anyone trying to illegally mod and release other versions in those other markets in the meantime.

But back to the Tokyo Xtreme Racer example; that wasn't me lamenting, I was just pointing out the obvious. But technically, that is a console franchise at heart, so it was surprising to see it being revived with no console version mentioned. But hey, yes indeed exclusives are perfectly fine and it wasn't me complaining about the game being a PC exclusive. It's funny though that people are perfectly fine with all the exclusives PC gets, but if PlayStation gets even one notable 3P exclusive all the usual "anti-consumer", anti-exclusivity arguments come rearing their heads.

It happens every single time.

This is patently false. Sony's studios take full advantage of the PS5 and aren't slowed down or even consider PC during development. This is Nixxes' job and why Sony acquired them.

Where's Wolverine, then? Oh, it's taking longer than most thought it would because Insomniac are handling part of the PC build in-house. How much time do you think it took Naughty Dog to retool their engine to facilitate faster PC deployment? That didn't come cheap, either in time or money.

Do you genuinely think HFW and Spiderman 2 are the peak of what the PS5 can do? LEGO Horizon (even tho that's a 3P-developed game)? Nixxes handle a big bulk of the PC ports but a big part of the costs are already accounted for in the initial development of the game. The main studios develop the game's pipelines to better accompany the porting teams once its time to hand things off to them.

But you're not going to see that mentioned specifically in documents like those from the ransomeware hack. And this is just focused on non-GAAS titles, of course.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Western players barely did anything for Wukong's Steam numbers; vast majority of that was from China, a specific market. If SIE had common sense they'd just make China-specific Steam/WeGame builds of their games for that market, bring those to other markets years later, and push litigation against anyone trying to illegally mod and release other versions in those other markets in the meantime.

But back to the Tokyo Xtreme Racer example; that wasn't me lamenting, I was just pointing out the obvious. But technically, that is a console franchise at heart, so it was surprising to see it being revived with no console version mentioned. But hey, yes indeed exclusives are perfectly fine and it wasn't me complaining about the game being a PC exclusive. It's funny though that people are perfectly fine with all the exclusives PC gets, but if PlayStation gets even one notable 3P exclusive all the usual "anti-consumer", anti-exclusivity arguments come rearing their heads.

It happens every single time.

Yeah, that’s the point. Wukong did massive numbers on Steam in China, a market Sony would love to sell software in. It’s all about growth after all. Your suggestion Sony release Steam games in China exclusively is childish lmao.

And the difference between something like Tokyo Extreme Racer and Sony’s deals is that Gabe didn’t go to Genki with a stack of cash and tell them not to release it on consoles, that is the anti-consumer part.

BlackTron

Uh, Nintendo's model has always been to make profit off their own hardware, from Day 1. Only the Virtual Boy and early days of 3DS (and arguably, early Wii U days) lost them money on hardware. And with the 3DS that's because they did a price cut to stimulate sales after the launch period.

Outside of that, they've been getting some big profits off their hardware over the course of a generation, as far back as the Famicom/NES.

While 100% true, even if they only broke even on hardware I still wouldn't do it. It's giving too much importance to hardware profits as a reason they should or shouldn't go PC. It's not completely irrelevant, but it may as well be with what else they stand to lose.

I'd rather not ever buy anything tied to a PS console ever again. I will be PC or Xbox PC next gen and this way I can carry that purchase forward. I dont plan on buying a PS6 if I can avoid it. I'd be fine supporting a PS Store on PC too. Doesnt have to be Steam, just done tying my money to their hardware.

I feel the same way about Xbox, probably just going to roll with switch 2 and ps6 next gen

Like which ones?

Playing on PC you get:

- free multiplayer/free saves;
- better prices and promotions (at least in my region);
- better graphics/performance (with a little bit more investment);
- acess to all Xbox games (without waiting), gamepass, Steam, etc.

I play exclusively on Playstation platforms since 2018, but I see PC being a better platform overall these days, and Playstation is not giving enough benefits for PS5 be worth.
EB Games Australia is offering a Trade 2 eligible games and pay $39 for the PS5 version, I could end up paying $59 for the game and once I finished it, I would be able to sell it, not possible with the PC version, but each to their own.

The other aspects are things that a LOT of people don't care about it, All in All people will have options with this game.

Gaiff

Where's Wolverine, then? Oh, it's taking longer than most thought it would because Insomniac are handling part of the PC build in-house. How much time do you think it took Naughty Dog to retool their engine to facilitate faster PC deployment? That didn't come cheap, either in time or money.

Do you genuinely think HFW and Spiderman 2 are the peak of what the PS5 can do? LEGO Horizon (even tho that's a 3P-developed game)? Nixxes handle a big bulk of the PC ports but a big part of the costs are already accounted for in the initial development of the game. The main studios develop the game's pipelines to better accompany the porting teams once its time to hand things off to them.

But you're not going to see that mentioned specifically in documents like those from the ransomeware hack. And this is just focused on non-GAAS titles, of course.
Nixxes took a whopping 1 year to port HFW from PS to PC and we’re supposed to assume that Insomniac will be the ones porting Wolverine and that back in 2023, they already started the job for a game that will in all likelihood hit PCs in 2028?

Furthermore, the fact that the leaked build is playable on PC doesn’t make it a PC build in development either. We saw a PC build for Bloodborne and there was even one for Pikmin way back in the GC era. Games are built on PCs. There are always PC builds of sort. Doesn’t mean they’re intended for future use or are being actively worked on. Nixxes will begin proper work on the PC build likely in 2026/27.

This math doesn’t add up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom