• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot Director rules out PSVR2 version but wants to hear from fans about potential PC version

BlackTron

Even in Playstation's most aggressive PC expansion, I didn't think this would go PC. This is the megaton, the crossing the rubicon moment. It's joever man, joever. Confidence in this being an exclusive title was my last link to holding out for PS5 Pro. I just don't need the system at all other than timed exclusivity and unless it's Mario or Zelda I'm the most patient gamer ever.

edit: Well that PS Accessories app that fully enables the Dualsense came just in time didn't it.

Last edited:
Even in Playstation's most aggressive PC expansion, I didn't think this would go PC. This is the megaton, the crossing the rubicon moment. It's joever man, joever. Confidence in this being an exclusive title was my last link to holding out for PS5 Pro. I just don't need the system at all other than timed exclusivity and unless it's Mario or Zelda I'm the most patient gamer ever.

edit: Well that PS Accessories app that fully enables the Dualsense came just in time didn't it.
I still want to get a PS5 PRO because I have a large PS library. I'll have the latest machine for that, even if the games never get upgrades. I just hope Sony never does that thing with he PS3 again where the new controllers don't work on the old games. That mess was just dumb.

BlackTron

I still want to get a PS5 PRO because I have a large PS library. I'll have the latest machine for that, even if the games never get upgrades. I just hope Sony never does that thing with he PS3 again where the new controllers don't work on the old games. That mess was just dumb.

Makes sense. There was a time I "held myself back" from getting PS5 for Returnal and R&C to tech straight to Pro. In the interim time everything went to PC anyway, even the VR headset I was eyeing 🤷‍♂️

Yes yes I know consoles are useful, PC isn't for everyone etc etc. If the system didn't look so silly and cost say $300 I'd have one already. It's a bit much when you don't actually need it to play something. I think the best thing it's got in its corner is still Demon's Souls.

BlackTron

You do if you want the games day 1

But apparently you have thousands of games you can scroll through on a list and admire instead

I acknowledged the last remaining benefit was timed exclusives man, but admitted I'm the most patient gamer there is (unless it's Mario or Zelda lol).

Not dissing anyone with a PS5 or saying they SHOULD have gone PC. Just dissing Sony for pissing on its Playstation business.

mrMUR_96

Eh, it won’t do great numbers on PC. A 2+ year old port of a platformer on PC isn’t exactly something that sells well. It would certainly be enough to make a profit from the porting costs, so no real point in not doing it eventually.
This is talking about the new astrobot out in September. The original was more of a demo and came pre-installed on the ps5.

ah so they are now teasing pc ports of games not even released on ps5 yet . i would not be surprised if after 2-4 years sony goes all day and date on pc .
BRING IT ON SONY PC HERE WE GO !!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If they're already teasing PC players about "their input", just know a PC/Steam version is already in the works. SIE just want the paypigs to shell out for $70 at launch by tricking them no such other version is in development, that's all.
They're not tricking anyone. You pay $70 to get the game at launch like most of their games. You can also wait a while to get it on PC or cheaper on PS5. At this point, it's clear that the PS5 users are the primary customers who get everything day 1. That they will release the game later on PC isn't "tricking" anyone unless you somehow see more value in a game that's not available on other systems and you feel it loses its value once ported.

Even if it comes out way later on PC, it's hugely symbolic. It's the Sony mascot IP that gets a pack-in game to show off the system. This game is full of PS5 and controller poly models. This is like the division that made Mario Odyssey asking how we feel about a future PC version. The mere implication is a bomb. No going back.
They ported their most iconic franchises to PC already. There was never any going back.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They ported their most iconic franchises to PC already. There was never any going back.

I really did think they would hold their one in-house mascot IP close to their chest. The whole look and feel of Astro Bot even takes cues from the hardware. Almost seemed made intentionally to be connected to PS5 at the hip as a branding thing. If it was me I'd never want anyone to witness this being played without a PS present. Guess that's just me tho.

Hudo

I mean, yeah, sure. I'll take a PC port.

That being said... how about a new Motorstorm, tho?

Gaiff

For these gamers it’s not about the games, it’s ALL about the LIST
Doc Rivers GIF by SB Nation

Zathalus

This is talking about the new astrobot out in September. The original was more of a demo and came pre-installed on the ps5.
I’m talking about that as well, the PC port would likely be out 2 years or so from now if it follows the previous Sony pattern.

Last edited:

Neofire

Speaking to MinnMax, host Ben Hanson asked creative director Nicolas Doucet if there was any interest in a VR version of Astro Bot.

“No chance,” Doucet replied. “It’s designed for a different medium.”

When pressed by Hanson if there was a “zero percent” chance, Doucet reiterated that if the game was to be brought to VR, “it would be a different game”.

Later in the interview, the possibility of a PC version was brought up, with Doucet asked whether he had a message for PC players keen to play the game.

“Well, we want to hear from you,” Doucet replied. “Absolutely, we want to hear from you.”

Lord Sony how stupid can you be and I guarantee is the new PlayStation leadership making these dumbass decisions of not supporting their own platforms to the fullest. 🤦🏿‍♂️

They're not tricking anyone. You pay $70 to get the game at launch like most of their games. You can also wait a while to get it on PC or cheaper on PS5. At this point, it's clear that the PS5 users are the primary customers who get everything day 1. That they will release the game later on PC isn't "tricking" anyone unless you somehow see more value in a game that's not available on other systems and you feel it loses its value once ported.

No, they are tricking people. The same way Microsoft's trying to "trick" people to pay for BO3 by omitting Game Pass from being mentioned directly in the marketing.

SIE officially have this "case-by-case" policy on record for their PC ports, and they word it that way to be intentional ambiguous and put doubt in people's mind if a game will come to PC. Meanwhile, their actions this gen have been them porting basically all of their titles from 2020-onward to PC in increasingly shorter windows.

So then you have someone one the Astro Bot team a few weeks ago say they can't picture the game on other platforms because of how "uniquely PlayStation" it is, or whatever that's supposed to mean, and just a few weeks later up to its PS5 release they're basically teasing the PC crowd for a potential port? Maybe SIE and other companies think a lot of other people have the memory of goldfishes, but I'm not one of 'em.

If they weren't trying to trick people to maximize their revenue at the expense of potential customers doing what's best for their own wallet, they'd just outright go "hey, this is releasing on PS5 at launch, but we'll have a PC version in the near future. Stay tuned for more information.". But they aren't doing that, because they're worried some of those Day 1 paypigs will just wait to get the game on Steam where SIE makes less money....but the only ones forcing SIE to put it there in the first place are themselves (and maybe Sony Corp higher-ups)!

Me personally, it's not about the game being on more or less platforms, although I don't think there's anything stopping someone from getting a PlayStation to play a game that's just on that platform, and the game being a real exclusive isn't "anti-consumer" in any way whatsoever. If you don't have the money to get the system for the games, get a side gig. Really, what it's about is if a company's going to put their games out on multiple platforms in due time and I don't naturally have FOMO to play the game at launch, don't try to force FOMO by acting like the game'll be exclusive one place, only to turn around and announce a port a few months later.

If you're playing on multiple platforms anyway, chances are you'd just like to buy the game once, preferably where you think it'll play best. And since SIE have been doing this PC strategy, often times the best place to play their games is on a PC (if your setup is good enough). If the game's good enough and brings enough hype on its own merits, you'll still get a ton of Day 1 sales on the console anyway....

....right?

Gaiff

No, they are tricking people. The same way Microsoft's trying to "trick" people to pay for BO3 by omitting Game Pass from being mentioned directly in the marketing.

SIE officially have this "case-by-case" policy on record for their PC ports, and they word it that way to be intentional ambiguous and put doubt in people's mind if a game will come to PC. Meanwhile, their actions this gen have been them porting basically all of their titles from 2020-onward to PC in increasingly shorter windows.

So then you have someone one the Astro Bot team a few weeks ago say they can't picture the game on other platforms because of how "uniquely PlayStation" it is, or whatever that's supposed to mean, and just a few weeks later up to its PS5 release they're basically teasing the PC crowd for a potential port? Maybe SIE and other companies think a lot of other people have the memory of goldfishes, but I'm not one of 'em.

If they weren't trying to trick people to maximize their revenue at the expense of potential customers doing what's best for their own wallet, they'd just outright go "hey, this is releasing on PS5 at launch, but we'll have a PC version in the near future. Stay tuned for more information.". But they aren't doing that, because they're worried some of those Day 1 paypigs will just wait to get the game on Steam where SIE makes less money....but the only ones forcing SIE to put it there in the first place are themselves (and maybe Sony Corp higher-ups)!

Me personally, it's not about the game being on more or less platforms, although I don't think there's anything stopping someone from getting a PlayStation to play a game that's just on that platform, and the game being a real exclusive isn't "anti-consumer" in any way whatsoever. If you don't have the money to get the system for the games, get a side gig. Really, what it's about is if a company's going to put their games out on multiple platforms in due time and I don't naturally have FOMO to play the game at launch, don't try to force FOMO by acting like the game'll be exclusive one place, only to turn around and announce a port a few months later.

If you're playing on multiple platforms anyway, chances are you'd just like to buy the game once, preferably where you think it'll play best. And since SIE have been doing this PC strategy, often times the best place to play their games is on a PC (if your setup is good enough). If the game's good enough and brings enough hype on its own merits, you'll still get a ton of Day 1 sales on the console anyway....

....right?
Well, the game isn't even out and they're already teasing a PC port. If they wanted to trick people, they'd have kept their mouths shut until they exhausted their sales on PS5 and went, "Oh, btw, PC too!". Now they're very clearing teasing at a PC port and given their track record, we know it's happening.

AGRacing

Hey did I miss some event when PC users bought 600 dollar hardware from Sony thereby justifying their exclusive focus and attention?

Oh no? That was the ignored customers that did that right?

BlackTron

Well, the game isn't even out and they're already teasing a PC port. If they wanted to trick people, they'd have kept their mouths shut until they exhausted their sales on PS5 and went, "Oh, btw, PC too!". Now they're very clearing teasing at a PC port and given their track record, we know it's happening.

I think you're both right. It's feasible Sony already knows they are making a PC port, but wouldn't actually announce it for business reasons. But they will still let this guy tease it with "what if we did this" lol.

Top Bottom