• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Boy for GBA is arguably the best game of the year so far

Matlock

Banned
Astro Boy was a contender for GOTY ever since release in Japan. Since then, it's been overcast by Psi-Ops.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
one thing i don't like about astroboy (i only have the import so i don't know about the u.s. release) is how boring it is to constantly whip out your two super moves. i like silhouette mirage so much better.

IJoel

B00008KTNW.01-AIGI2YLZJE0LN.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

BenT

chespace said:
one thing i don't like about astroboy (i only have the import so i don't know about the u.s. release) is how boring it is to constantly whip out your two super moves. i like silhouette mirage so much better.
You're not really supposed to use those a lot if you're going for a high score ... which is the point of the game after it's beaten once. Besides, you only get a max of five supers on any but the easiest difficulty, so it doesn't take long to burn through them if you're going to.

Tortfeasor

I agree that this game was godly. It reminded me of C:SOTN. It was filled with classic gameplay that when mastered became a sexy dance. The story was great and the addition of a 2nd quest in the vein of C:SOTN's upsidedown castle was amazing.

Best GBA game in the last few years, best game of the year overall so far.

snapty00

Banned
I didn't really care for Astro Boy. It seems like practically every other game in its genre to me. It's not bad or anything, but I don't see it as anything special, either.

Zero Mission = the best

shuri

Banned
Theres way too much hype. Remove the modern effects, and the game would have stayed in japan back in the snes days

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
shuri said:
Theres way too much hype.
Indeed. I bought it last week and completed it last night. It's fun, but not all that great really. The Rebirth stuff was terrible too. I mean, yay, you're telling me I have to play through all the levels again just to find some meaningless characters and discover new dialogue bits to a story I couldn't care less about? I can't believe I haven't seen complaints about that when people complained about the challenging and fun searching/collecting at the end of Jet Force Gemini.

After completing it, I'm really not sure I'll go back to it. Certainly not any time soon.

lachesis

Being a Atom (astroboy) fan, I shall check it out. :) I didn't really have too much expectation of the game though, but it's good to know the game is decent and worth playing...

lachesis

Other than Adolf (pure genius) and BlackJack, I was never a big Tezuka fan, but the GBA Astro Boy led me to spend the past few days researching the references (before I got the extended desriptions unlocked) and I even bought Dark Horse's Astro Boy book 1 today (which thankfully seems to change no names other than Atom/Astro Boy).

I now find myself drawn to his cast of characters and I have greatly enjoyed the manga.

This is definitely the best GBA game since Fire Emblem. I didn't like the Japanese version much because it was too easy-especially with the 30 supers- but normal mode in the American edition is perfect for now and I will no doubt play hard as soon as I can beat it (stuck on
Blue Knight's timing attack in Rebirth
)

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Diomedeskun said:
Other than Adolf (pure genius) and BlackJack, I was never a big Tezuka fan, but the GBA Astro Boy led me to spend the past few days researching the references (before I got the extended desriptions unlocked) and I even bought Dark Horse's Astro Boy book 1 today (which thankfully seems to change no names other than Atom/Astro Boy).

I now find myself drawn to his cast of characters and I have greatly enjoyed the manga.

This is definitely the best GBA game since Fire Emblem. I didn't like the Japanese version much because it was too easy-especially with the 30 supers- but normal mode in the American edition is perfect for now and I will no doubt play hard as soon as I can beat it (stuck on
Blue Knight's timing attack in Rebirth
)

bro, adolf is probably one of the best manga i've ever read... right up there with the collected akira, nausicaa, blade of the immortal, initial d, and vagabond.

Nausicaa, Adolf, and Sanctuary have been my 3 favorites for years. I added Akira to that when it released, but I was rather put off by the art and style of other Tezuka work until recently. I just bought the new Nausicaa re-releases today as well, as they are a huge improvement over my old books. I originally bough Sanctuary and Adolf vol 1 of each shortly after seeing them in The Fifth Element on Bruce Willis's bed.

Vagabond, 3x3 Eyes, Planetes, and Blade of the Immortal are my currently ongoing favorite manga.

I have also taken a liking to Kung-Fu comics from China, but no manwha from Korea have interested me much yet.

Top Bottom