• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDG

Andrex said:
All the old 3G and 4G phones for one network or the other will eventually stop working now. Probably not for a while, but it wouldn't even be possible if not for the merger.

Only for 3G services though. For basic 2G services, all of the phones will be cross compatible.

Fucking shit!

I don't want my only choice of a GSM phone to be fucking AT&T. Not to mention the price increases and shitty data plans (T-Mobile has one of the better data plans especially since they don't do overage charges).

kehs

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Right but future 3G/4G phones on each carrier would be able to take advantage of the combined network? Y/N?

Yup. The other advantage is world phones can actually be world phones in the US.

I'm going to shoot myself.
Not really. But this fucking sucks donkey balls.

Guess I won't be renewing my contract when that time comes in less than a year. Hopefully Sprint will have some more high-quality Android devices next January.

Crisis

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Right but future 3G/4G phones on each carrier would be able to take advantage of the combined network? Y/N?

There's only going to be one carrier out of the two.

gimmmick said:
You think verizon will make the bid for sprint now?

I hope not. The telecom industry here is bad enough already with 4 companies running the show, we don't need it to get any smaller.

RyanDG

Gary Whitta said:

Yes, if they are built with the frequencies for both. At least until when (or if) one of the frequencies are shut down.

giga

From the press release:

AT&T and T-Mobile USA customers will see service improvements - including improved voice quality - as a result of additional spectrum, increased cell tower density and broader network infrastructure.

At closing, AT&T will immediately gain cell sites equivalent to what would have taken on average five years to build without the transaction, and double that in some markets. The combination will increase AT&T’s network density by approximately 30 percent in some of its most populated areas, while avoiding the need to construct additional cell towers. This transaction will increase spectrum efficiency to increase capacity and output, which not only improves service, but is also the best way to ensure competitive prices and services in a market where demand is extremely high and spectrum is in short supply.
It says both AT&T and T-Mobile customers will gain additional spectrum and cell towers. Crossing fingers for getting access to AT&T 3G frequencies!

Crisis said:
This is bullshit. The FTC shouldn't approve this.
Allow me to introduce you to THE MAN. He always wins.

onion_news1981_jpg_600x1000_q85.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-onions-1997-man-of-the-year,822/

numble

Gary Whitta said:
So the fact that the two networks use different frequencies mean they can't merge and complement one another, right?
Well, they get access to a whole bunch of towers to stick new antennas onto (or just modify existing? I don't know how it works), and that should be a lot easier than looking for and purchasing real estate individually, and constructing the whole tower.

Edit: What giga posted. Really hope they allow that, but doesn't it take time to clear FCC?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Be aware that while AT&T is capable of faster speeds Verizon connectivity is considerably more reliable. At least that's what I read from the president of speed.net.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
Does this mean that T-Mobile will likely no longer have unlimited data plans in the future? I was about to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile for that very reason.

squicken

My biggest problem with Dems/Reps when it comes to their pro-business stances. It's all when and good when you have a functioning free market, like a city with 500 cobblers. Not so much when there's 4 ISPs in the whole country.

Kodiak690 said:
Does this mean that T-Mobile will likely no longer have unlimited data plans in the future? I was about to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile for that very reason.

People with unlimited plans from t-mobile will probably be grandfathered in.

tenchir

Gary Whitta said:
So the fact that the two networks use different frequencies mean they can't merge and complement one another, right?

The frequency for voice is the same, the frequency for the data is different. So it can semi merge. There shouldn't be as much dropped calls, but don't expect better download speed until new phones are out to take advantage of both att/tmobile data frequency.

I'm thinking about this all wrong. AT&T is going to be deploying LTE later this year. If I have an unlimited data plan with T-Mobile right now, I should be able to hang on to it until AT&T releases their LTE phones.

Vilix said:
Be aware that while AT&T is capable of faster speeds Verizon connectivity is considerably more reliable. At least that's what I read from the president of speed.net.

LTE brah

Pastry

Banned
Solid decision on AT&Ts part. It looks like the gains from T-Mobile towers will be significant, it will be very interesting to see what eventually happens to T-mobile.

As much as I loathe AT&T with the force of a supernova, this might actually convince me to stick with them if it really means their royally fucked coverage and service might actually improve. It's not like there's a lot of choice out there anyway.

Kodiak690

Neo Member
LyleLanley said:
People with unlimited plans from t-mobile will probably be grandfathered in.

Yeah, the only thing that gives me comfort is that they've honored the iPhone unlimited plans for so long. Maybe I should switch soon for that reason. Sprint and VZW are just too expensive and I HATE VZW.

Ondore

It's going to take 6+ months for this to be approved, but yeah T-Mobile customers better enjoy the ride while they got it.

Though if the management goes the same way they did during at&t's last major cell phone merger (2004, when it was Cingular and AT&T Wireless), you might be able to lock in a sick retention plan for 2 years before you have to switch.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gary Whitta said:

If they built both sets of radios into them, which could drive costs up.

Snipes424

I don't understand how this can be legal. I thought for sure the government would step in and break up the telecom companies again, but I guess it's going the other way now.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there goes everything...AT&T is going to turn my service into shit. PURE SHIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom