• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.
claviertekky said:
This is certainly a surprise. I thought Sprint wanted to acquire T-Mobile USA.
I don't know much about Sprint, but why would they buy a GSM carrier? Are they dropping CDMA anytime soon?

Equus Bellator Apex said:
What happens to her?
I hope she just gets a new dress.

Equus Bellator Apex

6a00d8341cd41453ef0148c6aa301f970c-800wi

^^^^^

What happens to her?

abunai

I don't know much about the mobile networks in America but doesn't this raise some alarm bells about a monopoly? Or is there no-one looking out for that in the US?

Blackhead

Redarse
Kodiak690 said:
Yeah, the only thing that gives me comfort is that they've honored the iPhone unlimited plans for so long. Maybe I should switch soon for that reason. Sprint and VZW are just too expensive and I HATE VZW.
? So long? It's not even been a year yet and they are trying real hard to kick people off it with the tethering bait&switch. This is the same company that showed off unlimited plans for the iPad then cancelled it while the device was still supply-constrained.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
6a00d8341cd41453ef0148c6aa301f970c-800wi

^^^^^

What happens to her?
Sex tape with her and the iPhone guy, duh!

giga

DMeisterJ said:
So I guess the next step is for Verizon to pick up Sprint... Then we can have just two carriers.
I don't see Sprint surviving. They're going to get fucked harder than Sasha Gray with the iPhone and the best Android handsets on the two biggest carriers now.

Pastry

Banned
wenis said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo there goes everything...AT&T is going to turn my service into shit. PURE SHIT.
I know right, it's not like you're getting access to new towers or anything.

Hey where's that graph that showed all the Baby Bells being split up only for them to merge again.

Sprint, you're going to have a new customer soon.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
abunai said:
I don't know much about the mobile networks in America but doesn't this raise some alarm bells about a monopoly? Or is there no-one looking out for that in the US?

Companies just get a posturing shake down in front of some regulatory agency and they create this hype that ooooo we might not pass you. Then they okay the mergers and buyouts just like everyone knew they were gonna do from the beginning. Just look at the Comcast buyout.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Am I the only person that has no problem with AT&T ?? I have the same bill every month, they just gave me free mobile to mobile calling so now I only
Lose minutes when I call landlines. All for like 90 bucks and unlimited everything else... What am I missing?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
abunai said:
LOL, AT&T was broken up in the 1980s, because they were too big of a monopoly. They've spent the last decade building up the "new" AT&T into another monopoly. The US government bends over for corporations, and will do NOTHING to stop this.

Futureman said:
THIS IS BIG FOR ANDROID NEXUS LINE!

~120 million potential Nexus users as opposed to what before, like 15 million?

Aside from the N1 which had very little sales for AT&T, all Android phones have been locked down tight to prevent non-Market .apks from getting installed. I don't think AT&T will allow future revisions of the most open Android phone.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Pastry said:
I know right, it's not like you're getting access to new towers or anything.

I don't honestly need it. I get absolute sterling service in San Francisco (even in the underground train service) haven't had a dropped call or un-usable service (only in the basement of my school) in the 3 years I've lived here. T-Mobile kicks ass out here in SF.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
Aside from the N1 which had very little sales for AT&T, all Android phones have been locked down tight to prevent non-Market .apks from getting installed. I don't think AT&T will allow future revisions of the most open Android phone.

I wonder what this will mean for the future of the Nexus line since T-Mo was the only company that sells stock Google phones, subsidized (I think).

clav

brotkasten said:
I don't know much about Sprint, but why would they buy a GSM carrier? Are they dropping CDMA anytime soon?

Sprint wanted to merge the third and fourth largest USA carriers together (Sprint and T-Mobile) to catch up to the competition.

As for the cell phone tech (GSM and CDMA), I don't know what they planned to do with that. My guess was to keep the two together.

The talks did happen twice apparently.

SimleuqiR

Jamesfrom818 said:
This is bad! Bad!
Less competition is bad. Fuck AT&T!

xtop

i hope this means nexus phone's will get some epic sales on att now. but in reality, nexus will probably go away, or go to sprint :(

Pastry

Banned
wenis said:
I don't honestly need it. I get absolute sterling service in San Francisco (even in the underground train service) haven't had a dropped call or un-usable service (only in the basement of my school) in the 3 years I've lived here. T-Mobile kicks ass out here in SF.
So then your reason for complaining about how your service will magically go to shit despite more towers was? Trolling?

Mudkips

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
As much as I loathe AT&T with the force of a supernova, this might actually convince me to stick with them if it really means their royally fucked coverage and service might actually improve. It's not like there's a lot of choice out there anyway.

It won't improve until your phone can physically operate on both networks AND has the firmware support to do so.

Kodiak690 said:
Sprint and VZW are just too expensive and I HATE VZW.

Whaaaaaaaaa? Sprint is hella cheap and everything is unlimited besides calls to land lines. Most of my calls end up being to other cell phones anyway, which is unlimited. I've been with every carrier at one point or another and Sprint is easily the cheapest so far for what you get.

mike23

I like how they mention that consumers' costs have dropped 50%(!) from 1999 to 2009. Wtf is that shit. I guarantee that costs have dropped by 1000s% for the providers since then. If there was legitimate competition, prices would be way lower.

Zee-Row

Banned
Celsior said:
Don't worry we still have boost moblie and metropcs!
Maybe its because i live in Florida but Metro is great, $40 unlimited calls and texting. I hate cell phone games and apps so it benefits me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom