• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T to Acquire T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line here is less consumer choice = less reason for companies to compete = consumers get fucked. Again. AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

giga

The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals, a reverse breakup fee in certain circumstances, and other customary regulatory and other closing conditions. The transaction is expected to close in approximately 12 months.
Perhaps nothing will change for a year then.

JaseMath

gcubed said:
im confused by this? i know who the worst is, but surely you jest in thinking tmobile is the best. the best wouldn't be losing customers

anyway, didn't we just have a decent size thread where some poster was going on and on and on about compeition in the wireless space and if you dont like it just switch? 4 to 3 and i wouldnt doubt 2 soon enough
I was with T-Mobile for 7 years before switching to Verizon. T-Mobile was better in every regard except phone selection (which is why I left).

Plasmid

Shadow780 said:
Is there a provider that's truly unlimited?

I don't think so, if you grandfather into a plan (had unlimited before, then got a new contract) you'll still have it, i think.

killakiz

Was thinking that this would def not pass regulatory, but then I remembered Obama wanting to expand broadband access using wireless technology.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gcubed said:
im confused by this? i know who the worst is, but surely you jest in thinking tmobile is the best. the best wouldn't be losing customers

I wouldn't say T-mobile is the best, but I certainly have never had issues dealing with them. The only problem is most of their phones aren't that great in comparison to other providers.

numble

Jamesfrom818 said:
Its not like Google profits directly from each phone sale. Verizon would pretty much be saying "Fuck you" to HTC, Moto, Samsung, LG, etc....

Verizon has always had the reputation of having shitty phones on a great network. Android has pretty much alleviated that. I don't think they'd want to have that reputation again.
Verizon can say, "sell me your WP7 phones," to HTC, Moto, Samsung, LG, etc.

They will lose a lot of Android sales anyway if Google comes on as a carrier. Why would you get a Google phone at Verizon when there is a Google carrier? 44% of Verizon Android customers said they were considering switching to iPhone, so they wouldn't be losing all of them, anyway.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Lambtron said:
My Verizon service is good, but paying $90/month is ridiculous (and I get a discount). I am glad that the consumer protetctions which should stop this merger from happening have all but eroded.
Welcome to Canada!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
numble said:
Verizon can say, "sell me your WP7 phones," to HTC, Moto, Samsung, LG, etc.

They will lose a lot of Android sales anyway if Google comes on as a carrier. Why would you get a Google phone at Verizon when there is a Google carrier?

Because no one knows that Android = Google? 95% of people just say "yeah, I have a Droid." Droid is Android to them, and Droid is Verizon.

UrokeJoe

Gary Whitta said:
The bottom line here is less consumer choice = less reason for companies to compete = consumers get fucked. Again. AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

Agree. It seems as of late this trend is at full speed.

killakiz

X-Frame said:
Why couldn't AT&T just spend that $39 billion on making a better network?

They need spectrum.... You can't build a better network without capacity, T-Mobiles spectrum would allow them to have LTE frequencies across the US like Verizon does.

witness

Godfucking damnit. We just paid $250 to get away from ATT to went with T-Mobile, now these fuckers buy them! Son of a bitch, now I want to switch to Verizon. I don't want to have to pay anything to ATT.

This just makes me want to switch to sprint even more. If only they had GSM phones so I could use local sim cards outside of america.

clav

Shadow780 said:
Time to change carriers then, in light of AT&T threatening to change the terms of jailbreak tether users, I still have unlimited with them at the moment.
For you, the switch might be a difficult one if you want to stay with your iPhone.

Think it through before committing.

Shadow780

claviertekky said:
For you, the switch might be a difficult one if you want to stay with your iPhone.

Think it through before committing.

Nah I don't really care about iPhone, HTC is fine, as long as I can tether whenever I want without fear of changing my contracts or softcaps, for the moment at least.

JaseMath

10x1103orub3etmo.jpg

This is humorously ironic now.

Paznos

GoldenEye 007 said:
Does CDMA allow for data use and voice calling at the same time? Has LTE alleviated that at all?
Only phones that make use of SVDO and so far that's only the Thunderbolt.

bob page

Wait, people are mad over this? T-Mobile was the most garbage service I've ever used, I couldn't even get signal in one story buildings. I switched to AT&T half a year ago and their service exists everywhere T-Mobile's didn't (which was everywhere not outside, it seems).

And to everyone saying this is terrible for competition, why? The two main powers were always Verizon and AT&T, and competition will only get fiercer between them now. T-Mobile was always a backseat observer.

zoku88

bob page said:
Wait, people are mad over this? T-Mobile was the most garbage service I've ever used, I couldn't even get signal in one story buildings. I switched to AT&T half a year ago and their service exists everywhere T-Mobile's didn't (which was everywhere not outside, it seems).
Because some people get good T-mobile service where they live and now the only thing they have to look forward to is higher prices?

(._.)

Banned
AHH IDK

Both are the only two carries I would ever go with. Sim cards and the best phones. Not sure how they will be as one though. Having a choice between the two I think is better for the consumer.

dekjo

Well, we knew something was going to happen soon. It was just a matter of who would be the buyer. But I'm guessing this means I'll be out of a job within the year. Hope the economy continues to recover so finding a new one won't be that hard.

bob page

zoku88 said:
Because some people get good T-mobile service where they live and now the only thing they have to look forward to is higher prices?
Higher prices? Maybe if you've been using a grandfathered contract. I pay $5 more for AT&T but get 3G instead of crap edge.

Ephemeris

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm afraid so my G2 brother. Get a Thunderbolt and hop on the unlimited 4G plan while you stil can.

Trying to think this through rationally.

The Good: More coverage and At&T's LTE service availalbe to me. Nice!
The Bad: EVERY FUCKING THING ELSE.

0223_9mvo.gif

- Sent while tethering from his tmo g2 while it lasts.

bob page said:
Higher prices? Maybe if you've been using a grandfathered contract. I pay $5 more for AT&T but get 3G instead of crap edge.
Uh... no. You don't even know what you're talking about. I mean maybe you live in a T-Mobile EDGE location? But that has to be pretty rare within metro areas.

I made a post earlier comparing the differences in my plan between the two. A $30 to $50 hike if I were on AT&T.

Kodiak690 said:
I only have myself and my mother on my family plan. My gf is with her family. My mom can barely text, much less use a smart phone. If I go with sprint, It's going to cost me a good $30+ more per month. If they had a plan with fewer minutes (we use very few per month), that was cheaper, it'd probably work. Not everyone needs unlimited everything, and I'm not paying for it if I don't need it.

Sprint is great if you have 2+ people who use a ton of minutes/data/texts. But they don't work for me.. Unless they would release a plan with maybe 500 minutes per month.

Plus the reception is terrible where I work (where I would want to tether 90% of the time) with Sprint.

I pay $70 a month for everything unlimited except land line calls (450 minutes). Unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited calls to any cell phone regardless of carrier... gps, sprint tv, and all that shit. Hella cheap. I'm staying with Sprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom