• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Rarutos

r4FDYKP.png

[Release Data]
Developer: Gust
Publisher: Tecmo-Koei
Localization: Acttil
Platform: PS3 (Both Retail and Digitally)
Genre: RPG
NA Release Date: March 11, 2014
PAL Release Date: 7 March 2014
Text Language: English
Audio Language: English, Japanese

NA PSN Store Page

Official NA Site | Official EU Site | Official Facebook Page

[Boxart]

dhpunRs.png

bgzJSiu.png

[Story]
Atelier Facebook Page said:
This world has gone through many Dusks, and is slowly nearing its end. Within this world, in the western reaches of the "Land of Dusk," there was a nation that prospered thanks to its use of alchemy. There, in order to survive the eventual arrival of the "Dusk End," the people devoted their efforts to rediscover and recreate lost alchemic technologies. Rediscovered technology from the past era was gathered in the alchemy research city known as "Central," where research was conducted on how to halt the advance of the twilight. One of the heroes is a young man who researched alchemy in Central, the other a girl living in a small town on the frontier. This girl's name is Escha. In the process of using her knowledge of ancient alchemy to help others, she was assigned to the Development Department. The young man's name is Logy. Having learned the newest alchemic techniques in Central, he requested a transfer to this understaffed town to make use of his abilities, and meets Escha when he is assigned to the Development Department as well. The two make a promise to use their alchemy together, and bring success to the Development Department.

[Features]
For the first time in the series since Mana-Khemia 2, there are two protagonists! Choose between Escha or Logy to experience the story in different perspectives!

UKFgz8T.png

Caution: Graphic may not be entirely accurate

Escha's story is more in the vein of traditional Atelier games like the Arland games or Atelier Ayesha, in which the story focuses on her daily life and alchemy assignments. Her synthesis style is also much more similar to the past games, as she uses a cauldron.

Meanwhile, Logy's story is more like a traditional RPG's, where it focuses more on exploration. He uses a new alchemy method known as imbuing, which is more similar to blacksmithing than anything, as he customizes weapons and armor.

Obviously, you see different events depending on who you choose in the beginning, but the story should be mostly the same overall.

Speaking of events, there seem to be new field events that make exploring and monster encounters more dynamic. As you gather or fight more, you fill up an event gauge that eventually triggers different things. You can even battle special and more power enemies using these field events, and defeating them may even yield some rare items!

[Battle System]
Much like the two protagonists thing, Atelier Escha & Logy's battle system draws a lot from Mana-Khemia! First of all, you can link support characters to the characters active in battle. Meaning the effective number of people in battle is now six, and the support characters can easily do follow up attacks much like in Mana-Khemia!

The battles are still turn-based, but the character actions and commands are optimized for a fast-paced system. And with the added support system influenced by Mana-Khemia, you can do lots more damage during a character's turn!

Escha and Logy even get their own super special alchemy attack called the Double Draw, which allows for consecutive item use that even increases the effects they have.

[Fancier Graphics]
Since Gust now has access to Tecmo-Koei's stuff, they used the Dynasty Warriors engine to make the game look even nicer! Also, the characters' lips actually stop moving when they're done talking this time around! As much as I personally miss the character dialogue portraits, at least Gust is trying their best to make the cutscenes look better without them!

PlPsGnR.png

XzEz261.png

Y2d3q4K.png

b2aKluV.png

gyaUYlQ.png

WqJMd4F.png

pmhg3m0.png

tyzFDqn.png

LwR1SXN.png

TYgrXEl.png

2qTxTcv.png

[Screenshots]

[Trailers]

B4TJIgI.png

Digitally Downloaded - 5 Stars
God is a Geek - 7/10
GAMRs
RPGSite - 9
RPGamer - 4.5/5
PlayStation Universe - 9
Slant Magazine - 3.5 Stars
Push Square - 7/10
GamesRadar - 4 Stars
Operation Rainfall - 5 Stars
HardcoreGamer - 4 of 5
GameInformer - 7.75
GameCritics - 9.5 out of 10
TechGaming - 85%
Vandal Online (Spanish) - 8
3DJuegos (Spanish) - 7.5
Meristation (Spanish) - 7.9

pybGZ9a.png

Q: Are there any preorder bonuses?
A: Yes, there are! Sadly there are different ones that are exclusive to different retailers:

In North America, Gamestop will have Logy's "Tails Butler" costume and Escha's "Apple Pirate" costume. Amazon will have Escha's "Enchanted Witch" costume.?

For Europe, Amazon.de will have Escha's "Apple Pirate" costume, GAME will have Escha's "Enchanted Witch" costume, and Smartoys and Amanzon.co.uk will have Logy's "Tails Butler" costume.

It is not yet known if these costumes will be sold on PSN later, but it is doubtful because they were not sold in Japan.

Q: Is this a good place to start if I'm interested in the series?
A: Anywhere is pretty much a good place to start, I'd say! If you want to play all of them, I'd start with the earliest you can get (yes, I'm including the Japanese-only games and the Iris and Mana-Khemia games, though these don't really matter as much since they're so different)! Though most people seem to say to skip Rorona (I personally liked it though), so you might want to do that and wait for the possibility of a localized New Rorona, which is a remake with many improvements. Though if you wanted to do that, you should play Totori first because New Rorona probably has better mechanics by that point.

Q: Does it matter if I play this before Atelier Ayesha? Do I lose anything?
A: Nope! The story should be standalone on it's own. Obviously you will miss the little references to Ayesha, but it should not detract from your enjoyment of the story.

Q: Is there a time limit in this game too?
A: Yes, there is! I'm not sure how many years this game gives you at the moment. But I'm pretty sure both Escha and Logy's stories have a set amount of years you have to finish your tasks in.

Also, there are assignments much like Rorona, where you have a set amount of time to finish, like 3 in-game months.

Q: Does it matter who I play as first? What exactly are the differences in the stories?
A: It shouldn't matter! And according to some, it seems there aren't really any differences at all in how the game plays, no matter who you choose.

Unfortunately, the two stories aren't vastly different like Mana-Khemia 2's at all. The only differences should be the perspectives the story is seen in. One should expect the different stories to be more like Tales of Xillia's separate stories, mostly the same, but with some different events and slightly different endings.

Q: Is there any DLC?
A: But of course, the DLC includes allowing returning character, Wilbell to be playable once again, as well as the new characters, Micie and Katla.

There's also two DLC dungeons, an area called "The Palace Interior, Where the Beast King Dwells" and "The Palace of Paupers". These DLC areas will most likely be much more difficult than anything in the core game, much like Meruru and Ayesha's DLC dungeons.

And there's the BGM pack as usual, with music from past Atelier games, like the Arland Trilogy and Atelier Ayesha.

Q: You keep mentioning Mana-Khemia, why?
A: For one thing, a lot of people seem to have been asking for a new Mana-Khemia so I thought it would help draw them in. Also, Escha & Logy definitely borrows a lot of things from Mana-Khemia (2, especially) what with the two separate protagonists, and the dynamic support battle system. It also goes back to an assignment system for the first time since Atelier Rorona, which was also in Mana-Khemia. Though since the game works like traditional Ateliers, please don't expect it to be exactly like Mana-Khemia was. Think of it more like a traditional Atelier game with Mana-Khemia's battle system.

By the way, if you're thinking Mana-Khemia was an Atelier spin-off, it was not. It is definitely part of the main series, as they were projects A9, and A10 respectively.

Q: Atelier Ayesha did not have dual audio, will this?
A: Tecmo-Koei have confirmed that there will indeed be dual audio. Ayesha's situation was hopefully just a one time thing.

Q: So, there's no Limited Edition set or anything again, right?
A: Nope, sadly these seem to no longer be a thing since NISA doesn't publish them anymore.

Q: Who's Acttil? Should I worry about the localization style being different from past games?
A: Nope! Acttil is actually a company set up by former NIS America staff that have previously worked with the series, so there should be nothing to worry about! Hopefully Tecmo-Koei gets them to localize Ar nosurge, too! Well, if that's getting localized, anyway.

Q: I hear the name Escha & Logy actually means something! What does it mean?
A: Via the Official Atelier Facebook Page:
It's from the vocabulary "Eschatology" (& is pronounced as "to" in Japan).

"Eschatology" refers as a part of theology concerned with what are believed to be the final events of history, just like in the world of Atelier Escha & Logy.

This is why the two characters names have become Escha and Logy. That's one interesting fact from Gust, the development team of Atelier Escha & Logy.

[Credits]
Thank you to Noxie who did the lovely banners and character images! Also to dakkumauji who helped with the subtitle! As well as the Atelier Facebook page and official sites for information and story summary, and Gematsu for screenshots. If you want more details on the features of the game itself, please visit the official sites! That's what they're there for.

Thanks to Uthred who pointed out the error for EU preorder bonuses.

Please let me know if you find any errors and I'll make the appropriate corrections, thank you!

Vylash

I'm praying that this is better than Ayesha, I loved the Arland games but Ayesha was such a turn off

Soriku

I heard the Escha and Logy sides aren't much different. And also the time limit is pretty lenient.

Anyway, definitely getting this game, but not at launch.

RedBoot

Some of the character art, along with the environment art, is giving me a Wild Arms vibe. Logy, Reyfer, and Threia especially. Maybe if I play as Logy I can pretend it's Wild Arms 6. :p

Anyway, I loved Totori and Meruru, but I skipped Ayesha. Ready to get back into the series with this one.

Eusis

The idiotic way the weapon upgrades work, bad quest system, paper thin characters, and a plot riddled with wasted potential
Wonder if that's more world set up and this game fulfills the potential Ayesha sort of blew off. Importers probably can verify there though.

apricot

did they get rid of the drawn stills of the characters in the dialogues? loved those :(

Yeah, they did :(

I'm playing the game for review right now and I've gotta say, it feels really empty without them. Doesn't help that the text box is SO TINY

Animekatt

Really nice OT. Can't wait for this!

I'm praying that this is better than Ayesha, I loved the Arland games but Ayesha was such a turn off

Ayesha was one of my favorite Atelier games. It was a pleasure to play it last year. The music I thought was really good.

Rarutos

is the alchemy system based on Ayesha's with the whole one trait thing?

I'm not actually sure, I just know it's better. Someone who's playing the game for review should be able to answer this a lot better than I could. I don't actually know a lot about how the alchemy system has changed, sadly. :(

ohlawd

I'm not actually sure, I just know it's better. Someone who's playing the game for review should be able to answer this a lot better than I could. I don't actually know a lot about how the alchemy system has changed, sadly. :(
I'd watch videos and read up on it myself but I'm on a Vita and it's a slow mofo.

Rarutos

This is really strange, how given the last series the girls showed up in each others games after Rorona.

Maybe a DLC at some point.

Great OP btw.

Thanks a lot! And nah, she's not even DLC. I think they wanted to do something different from the Arland games, hence why there's no Punis, Hagel, or Pamela either.

I'm sure Nio's mostly there to talk about her sister~ Maybe.

Great OP, can't wait to play this. Loved Mana Khemia 1 and 2.
Thanks! Hope you like this just as much!

Tohsaka

I have my copy pre-ordered. It's going to be hard to devote time to both this and Dark Souls 2, since they come out the same day in the US. Funnily enough, the same thing happened with Atelier Totori and the first Dark Souls.

ohlawd

Linca just loves to throw her arms up in the air.

omg hnnng I'm so excited for this. Game of the month, man.

Eusis

omg hnnng I'm so excited for this. Game of the month, man.
It's an RPG battle royale next month, heh. Even for those of us not wholly ambivalent to the bigger games hitting it's hard to justify getting something like inFamous right away with this and Dark Souls II hitting the same day, and we even have a South Park RPG of all things out next week.

EDIT: And there's likely Trails in the Sky on Steam if XSEED at least wants to hit the dubious honor of "we almost hit Winter!"

Rarutos

Great OT! Can't wait for this game. :D

Thanks, Stuaten-san! I can't either!

It's an RPG battle royale next month, heh. Even for those of us not wholly ambivalent to the bigger games hitting it's hard to justify getting something like inFamous right away with this and Dark Souls II hitting the same day, and we even have a South Park RPG of all things out next week.

EDIT: And there's likely Trails in the Sky on Steam if XSEED at least wants to hit the dubious honor of "we almost hit Winter!"
Yeah, also Witch and the Hundred Knight and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. So many RPGs!

Stuart444

I'm getting both this and South Park, should be here on the same day even.

Will be hard splitting my time between them but that is what I plan to do!

Eusis

Luckily I'm only interested in Dark Souls and Atelier. RIP in peace everyone getting all of those games.
I'm mainly interested in those two and South Park. I kinda wish this hit the same day as South Park just for the juxtaposition, but instead we have Dark Souls II and this sharing the day, so we have to settle for "which flavor of the end of the world do you want more?" instead.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks, Stuaten-san! I can't either!

Yeah, also Witch and the Hundred Knight and Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. So many RPGs!

Id wait to hear what the west says about Witch and the Hundred Knights. Since personally did not like the game at all. Was waiting for it to come out for the longest time with the JP one considering the delays it had and am a fan of the artist. But the game was D: Bought the LE version too.

Not exactly a title Id suggest to rush out and buy without seeing write ups on it first.

Cant disagree with you though that in the West its nice to see how many JRPGs are getting localized lately!

Eusis

Id wait to hear what the west says about Witch and the Hundred Knights. Since personally did not like the game at all. Was waiting for it to come out for the longest time with the JP one considering the delays it had and am a fan of the artist. But the game was D: Bought the LE version too.

Not exactly a title Id suggest to rush out and buy without seeing write ups on it first.

Cant disagree with you though that in the West its nice to see how many JRPGs are getting localized lately!
Yeah, you scared me off of that game, and the fact seemingly no one else was talking about it didn't help.

Well, there's no shortage of alternatives next month, Dark Souls II alone is enough to kill it, funnily enough since the earlier stories made me think it might've been more like it'd be sort of similar but overhead and a bit more old school in gameplay.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, you scared me off of that game, and the fact seemingly no one else was talking about it didn't help.

Well, there's no shortage of alternatives next month, Dark Souls II alone is enough to kill it, funnily enough since the earlier stories made me think it might've been more like sort of similar but overhead and a bit more old school in gameplay.

Its unfortunate since they had a great chance to make something awesome. But lots of the design choices kinda ruined it for me.

At least you have this wonderful title here in the OT to play also. Really do love the Atelier series. But so bad for obsessive compulsive gamers lol. I wonder if in the future they will release this on the Vita also. Since love having Rorona for example on the Vita.

ohlawd

don't even know shit about Witch Hundred Knights or whatever but I think I dodged a bullet there.

Not because of impressions but I don't want anymore games in the backlog.

Rarutos

Oooh, thanks for the heads up! I'm still getting it since I love buying RPGs, but I'll go into it with lower expectations. :)

The Digitally Downloaded review has an interesting tidbit--apparently we're back to three-month deadlines/goals. Everyone's been saying the time constraints aren't particularly onerous, so I'm guessing these are soft deadlines, but it's still an interesting move back towards Rorona's regular intervals (which some people disliked).

Top Bottom