• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Christhor

Should I avoid this game if I don't really like light-hearted RPGs? It says Logy has serious dramatic events but many "serious" events are laughable in a lot of RPGs. Like in Trails in the Sky
the orphanage burns down but you know no one is actually going to get hurt or any scene with Chlem.

What do you consider to be a "serious" RPG? The Dusk games (so far), start out pretty light hearted, but towards the end of the games they start getting more and more serious.

The plot of the series is that Alchemy has just about caused the end of the world, and the world is slowly dying.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What do you consider to be a "serious" RPG? The Dusk games (so far), start out pretty light hearted, but towards the end of the games they start getting more and more serious.

The plot of the series is that Alchemy has just about caused the end of the world, and the world is slowly dying.

I think they're asking about tone (something I'm also curious about). Like, how dramatically is something like the end of the world treated?

Busaiku

Haven't played an Atelier game since he first Iris, which I wasn't too into.
I think the series has changed drastically since then though, and I was thinking of checking this out, just not sure if I should commit or not.

More interested in this than Ayesha since the cast looks more interesting here.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I own all the NA Atelier PS3 games and have never played any of them, just never got around to them. I've heard a lot of people say to not even bother with Rorona at this point.

Vylash

I own all the NA Atelier PS3 games and have never played any of them, just never got around to them. I've heard a lot of people say to not even bother with Rorona at this point.

Yeah Rorona's got a bunch of issues, better to wait for the Vita remake to come out over here for that

Rorona is unpolished compared to the more recent PS3 games. It's still enjoyable though.

Durante

I'm totally hyped for this. Particularly after missing my yearly dose of Atelier last year. I just have no idea when I am supposed to find time to play it, given that Shadowrun: Dragonfall just released and South Park is also upcoming. Good thing that Dark Souls 2 PC looks to be delayed!

Rorona isn't a bad game, but its graphics, interface and gameplay are all really rough compared to the later entries.

Edit:
One question, will Escha & Logy be on PSN day 1?

Is it weird that I am going to get this game day one despite only ever beating Totori, playing Meruru for about 3 hours, and having Ayesha still shrink wrapped?

Not to mention the fact that I already know I'm not going to play it yet due to Dark Souls

Vylash

I'm totally hyped for this. Particularly after missing my yearly dose of Atelier last year. I just have no idea when I am supposed to find time to play it, given that Shadowrun: Dragonfall just released and South Park is also upcoming. Good thing that Dark Souls 2 PC looks to be delayed!

Rorona isn't a bad game, but its graphics, interface and gameplay are all really rough compared to the later entries.

Edit:
One question, will Escha & Logy be on PSN day 1?

Yes

I think they're asking about tone (something I'm also curious about). Like, how dramatically is something like the end of the world treated?

That's actually an interesting question. From what I remember of Ayesha, it was more a kind of inevitable air of dread that sort of hung over the world. It came to the fore in certain plot pieces, like the ending and the stuff with Odelia (?) and Keith, but by and large it was portrayed in the setting, with the twilight-colour palette and the constant crumbling ruins to create this generalised air of things winding down to a close.

I mean if they're expecting Dark Souls' inevitable decay of the universe, then they're probably going to be disappointed, but Ayesha was a lot grimmer than the Arland trilogy by a longshot.

Have Escha&Logy pre-ordered, but I don't really know anything about its story so I can't comment on how the plot line continues on at all.

No, I didn't buy Ayesha because of lack of dual audio.

I can empathise with this. The english voices were, at times, physically painful to hear. I ended up just playing the whole of Ayesha with the voice volume to the lowest setting. (Which doesn't actually prevent it in all scenes, randomly).

Coxy

The undercurrent of the Dusk games is that it's the twilight of the world, it's more like it's dying of old age, just fading away than some kind of melodramatic villains plot. It's definitely not going for any angsty stuff and is still full of likeable characters being friends with a bit of humour.

I dunno why anyone is complaining about wasted potential in Ayesha, her story was mostly just about her and her sister, Keithgriff was the one pushing the overarching plot along. Ayesha's tale was tangential to the story of the world.

Animekatt

I still need to get around in finishing (and platting) Meruru on the PS3. Then I need to get it for the vita. I wish the vita versions were retail editions.

Uthred

The retailer exclusive costumes are rather annoying. Oh and the EU pre-order bonuses are incorrect, Amazon.co.uk pre-orders come with the Logy Tails costume, seems only Amazon.de has the apple pirate costume in the EU, for €50, which would be the same price to import the US version from Gamestop.

Well I ordered, and then put my order number and zip code in to check my order on the website to ensure it is okay and its telling me my order number/zip code combo doesn't match their records...I hope its just because it may take a little while to process...

Well I ordered, and then put my order number and zip code in to check my order on the website to ensure it is okay and its telling me my order number/zip code combo doesn't match their records...I hope its just because it may take a little while to process...

That's what it is. It said that immediately after the order for me, but now it works.

Screw you guys who can order from GoHastings. I highly doubt they ship to Canada, based on their shipping page. I bet EBGames is selling it for $54.99 up here, too. BAH.

(You all should get it on that deal, assuming it's legit. They've got a bunch of stores across the west coast/midwest so you're probably fine!)

It's possible Ayesha on Vita could have dual audio unlike it's ps3 version, which would be great. I really loved Ayesha.

as for the Arland series, Rorona appears in Totori, and Rorona and Totori appear in Meruru. Totori + and Meruru plus are out now, however they are remaking Rorona for both ps3 and vita although no localization plans yet.

Honestly most feel Rorona can be skipped and just start with Totori, however, if the Rorona remake makes it out here, I wonder how much will be fixed from the older style.

Apparently New Rorona updates all the battle models to properly proportioned versions ala Totori and Meruru, which to me would be the biggest improvement. Screenshots. It also takes the battle system from Meruru Plus, apparently--dunno if that includes the MP system (original Rorona used HP for special attacks, I think) but the interface at least is improved. It sounds like it's a modernization of Rorona more than anything, so I wouldn't expect drastic changes like no more three-month deadlines, but it's a pretty big overhaul nonetheless.

Ayesha basically plays out as a bunch of people living their normal lives, with a bit of the usual Atelier goofiness. The "end of the world" stuff is usually relegated to the background--people only mention it in passing but it's essentially taken for granted. In other words, everyone knows their world is dying, they don't know when it's going to happen (though no one seems to think it's imminent), and they've all decided the best thing to do in the meantime is adapt to the changes and live their lives as best they can.

Preordered this last month. Looking forward to it! One problem, though. This comes out the same day as Dark Souls II. :(

Totori came out around same time as Dark Souls 1, and I played and beat Totori TWICE before I started Dark Souls. With this though, since I'm ordering from Amazon this time, if this comes out later than March 11th, I'll probably play Dark Souls II first.

Nice to know about the costume bonus. I didn't know we were getting those.

Anyway, which main character do you guys plan on selecting on your first playthrough? Escha or Logy?

I'm going with Escha first.

ohlawd

Definitely Escha for the alchemy focused stuff.

I like the breakdown. Pick Escha if you're a series veteran!

Oh, and I just remembered. There is supposed to be an anime based on this game airing in Japan in April. Hopefully Crunchyroll and/or Funimation streams it.

Rarutos

OT QA was really good.

Haha, thanks! I wasn't sure if some of those questions even needed to be answered!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

The retailer exclusive costumes are rather annoying. Oh and the EU pre-order bonuses are incorrect, Amazon.co.uk pre-orders come with the Logy Tails costume, seems only Amazon.de has the apple pirate costume in the EU, for €50, which would be the same price to import the US version from Gamestop.
Oh? How confusing. I got those off the official EU site so I wasn't sure if there was anything wrong or not...

I find the $20 price whatever tempting but I do want them preorder costumes.

Hell, I'm thinking of actually preordering this at Gamestop to get Logy's. (yes, the horror)

Rarutos

Hell, I'm thinking of actually preordering this at Gamestop to get Logy's. (yes, the horror)

It really is tempting, but I want those preorder bonus costumes. I'm just afraid they won't sell them later! And they probably won't. :(

Scher

I pretty much feel the same way. As much as I'd love to get the game for $20, Logy's costume is too cute to pass up, and I have no issue with throwing some extra money at Atelier games.

ohlawd

Preordered from EB. $72 after taxes and shipping. That's almost how much I paid for each of NIS' Arland CEs. Thanks, Canada. Not only that, it looks like it's coming out here on the 12th instead of the 11th but Amazon still has it on the 11th.

Disgusting but it must be done for that delicious midriff.

Jasconius

Just a warning but if people are pre-ordering this from goHastings just be aware that they probably won't ship it out until the 11th or even the 12th-13th. If I had to guess, though, I would lean towards them honoring the price. Their customer service for Internet orders has usually been pretty good.

Cheska

Preordered from EB. $72 after taxes and shipping. That's almost how much I paid for each of NIS' Arland CEs. Thanks, Canada. Not only that, it looks like it's coming out here on the 12th instead of the 11th but Amazon still has it on the 11th.

Disgusting but it must be done for that delicious midriff.

Holy moly! Wouldn't it be cheaper to have someone in the states send it to you?

umbra

Definitely looking forward to this. Love the OST tracks people have posted. Gust always seems to deliver good soundtracks.

Top Bottom