• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky |OT| Just Pretend it's Mana-Khemia 3

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oooh, thanks for the heads up! I'm still getting it since I love buying RPGs, but I'll go into it with lower expectations. :)

Yeah thats a good way of looking at it. At least the story and characters should keep you amused!

Shinta

Banned
So, I'm curious about this series and want to give it another chance, due to all the positive impressions I've read on here.

I'm looking for the perfect balance between affordability, and modern graphical quality / best game in the series.

Should I get this game, or is there a recent entry that is pretty much as good, or better that I can get cheaper without losing quality?

Shengar

Nice OT! This is the first Atelier game that caught my attention before I came into Gaf and receive preaching about Aterlier series. Beside Dark Souls II, there isn't any game that caught my attention so I might pick this up if the Vita version still far away.
I need to play Totori first though lol
Just stopped by to say nice to see an OT on this game and great work :)

No you need to drop your impression here.
:p

Rarutos

So, I'm curious about this series and want to give it another chance, due to all the positive impressions I've read on here.

I'm looking for the perfect balance between affordability, and modern graphical quality / best game in the series.

Should I get this game, or is there a recent entry that is pretty much as good, or better that I can get cheaper without losing quality?

You can get this one, or just get Atelier Ayesha. Each game improves on something, and is usually the best one of the time, so you should be able to pick any up and hopefully enjoy it. Which ones have you played?
Thanks!!!

Shinta

Banned
You can get this one, or just get Atelier Ayesha. Each game improves on something, and is usually the best one of the time, so you should be able to pick any up and hopefully enjoy it. Which ones have you played?

Just this one lol.

256px-Atelier_Iris.jpg

I've seen parts of the newer ones, but never purchased one.

Also, I have a Vita, which on second thought, might be a good fit for me with this series.

Rarutos

Just this one lol.

Also, I have a Vita, which on second thought, might be a good fit for me with this series.

Oh yeah, the Iris series is way different from your traditional Atelier game, so it'd be super fresh if you got one of the newer ones!

Eusis

Just this one lol.

256px-Atelier_Iris.jpg

Yeah, give Ayesha a shot. Shouldn't be too expensive now and if you like it Escha & Logy continue in the same world, Rorona/Totori/Meruru are the Arland trilogy and are completely separate, and if you were cool on Atelier Iris I doubt you'll like the other two Iris games from what I've heard.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice OT! This is the first Atelier game that caught my attention before I came into Gaf and receive preaching about Aterlier series. Beside Dark Souls II, there isn't any game that caught my attention so I might pick this up if the Vita version still far away.
I need to play Totori first though lol

No you need to drop your impression here.
:p

I got distracted by another game, so didnt get far enough to really give any impressions asides from that I did like what I played. Though am a fan of the series in general too, but its another fine addition I must say. Do plan on going back to it once I have more of the backlog out of the way. Problem being is that a lot of the backlog are JRPGs...

More like Atelier everything not-Iris meets Mana-Khemia

That's all I really need from an RPG! Considering I got through Cross Edge with the True Ending and platinumed Trinity Universe.

Dear god... Compared to those two games Im sure you might enjoy TWHK a lot more. Maybe lol.

Shinta

Banned
So, Meruru is part 1 of a subseries, and Totori is part 2?

And Ayesha is part 1 of another subseries, and Escha and Lodgy is part 2 of that?

Or is that not how it works?

Rarutos

You really must hate yourself or something. Nothing else can explain the bed of nails you have been sleeping on otherwise lol.

At least you like the Atelier series so that must be whats keeping you sane. :D.
I've been slacking on playing the bad RPGs lately, so I don't think I hate myself too much? Though I have told myself that I must finally beat the first Agarest this year.

Don't worry, I play good games too!!!

Have all the atelier games been 50 when they were released? really digging that 10 dollars off of regular new games.
Yeah they've always been released at a budget price.

And Ayesha is part 1 of another subseries, and Escha and Lodgy is part 2 of that?

Rorona is part 1 of the Arland series, Totori is part 2, and Meruru is part 3.

And you're right about Ayesha and Escha & Logy. They're all technically standalone though, so you can pretty much start anywhere.

Eusis

DON'T DO IT!
I feel like he's too far gone for us to help. At least it's not like he's shoveling crap into his mouth then proclaiming "THIS IS DELICIOUS" like some people basically have done in regards to those games.

As others said you got it backwards for Meruru/Totori (and Rorona's the real part one), and they're not QUITE subseries (seems more like arcs... or something) but you have it right for Ayesha and Escha & Logy. Ayesha also came out last year, so it's definitely the most current outside of Japan.

Cool, thanks. I think I'll start with Ayesha on Vita if that makes it over to NA. Sounds like it probably will. Seems like it has a slightly darker color palette, which I'm liking.

It's possible Ayesha on Vita could have dual audio unlike it's ps3 version, which would be great. I really loved Ayesha.

as for the Arland series, Rorona appears in Totori, and Rorona and Totori appear in Meruru. Totori + and Meruru plus are out now, however they are remaking Rorona for both ps3 and vita although no localization plans yet.

Honestly most feel Rorona can be skipped and just start with Totori, however, if the Rorona remake makes it out here, I wonder how much will be fixed from the older style.

Scher

I am super stoked for this game! Been looking forward to it ever since the Japanese release. Been debating playing through Totori Plus in preparation for this.

Based off the newest trailer and a preview video I saw, the english voice acting seems to be a step up from what NISA has normally done. Overall, it looks like TK has ultimately had a good impact on the game and I'm hoping the Atelier series continues to see some nice improvements in the future.

Eusis

I still have a backlog on NES.
Huh, I would like to get through Faxanadu sometime.

But I personally don't really view those the same as newer console stuff. Unless I'm actively thinking of playing it it's basically fallen into the category of "games that'd be nice to get through someday" rather than "I've recently invested myself in this and should probably see it through while memories are reasonably fresh."

... This may be the problem with me and Escha & Logy actually: I haven't gotten far in Ayesha, but these are the most appealing Atelier games to me so I do want to get through it and get to this. If nothing else I really like the art style this time around, the Arland games were also pretty good but I feel this is more to my personal preferences.

Eusis

It was 5.4 gb in japan, so expect it to be somewhere around there, unless Tecmo Koei somehow manages to bloat it by a ridiculous amount (I would not put this past them)
Well, they have a damn easy way to do it, and everyone was demanding it: Dual Voice Over.

But that's probably an extra gigabyte or two, not something that'll suddenly make it 10 GB I'd think, and even then 10 GB's the absolute worst to expect. So yeah, I expect it to be 6.5-ish for us at most.

This would be my first time ordering with them so not 100% sure, however, just ordered with my card and there's no immediate temporary hold at least.

I ordered 2 just in case one gets cancelled.

I remember being thrilled get Ayesha for 30 a month after it came out from a nice Best offer seller on eBay.

To get this for 20 would be amazing.

Also, Escha's story at least has assignments much like Rorona, where you have a set amount of time to finish, like 3 in-game months. I'm not sure if Logy's story has that kind of thing or not yet.
Well shit. Only played Rorona and Totori so far but I vastly preferred the comparative freedom Totori offered in this regard. Day 1 anyway.

Tizoc

It was 5.4 gb in japan, so expect it to be somewhere around there, unless Tecmo Koei somehow manages to bloat it by a ridiculous amount (I would not put this past them)

If it's gonna be bigger than 5 GB I think I'll get it in April then along with BlazBlue CP.

m0t0k1

Man i still need to finnish ayesha once i have done that i am going to look into this one. Looks better then ayesha, although i prefered the mel kishida artwork from the arland series.

Thinking of giving this a shot. It'd be my first non Atelier Iris game. Only other game I played from Gust was Ar Tonelico 2 and I really really enjoyed that

Apdiddy

So hyped for this along with The Witch & Hundred Knights.

I bought these games every time they come out, but I never seem to get around to playing them. Argh, such is the collector's life.

Should I avoid this game if I don't really like light-hearted RPGs? It says Logy has serious dramatic events but many "serious" events are laughable in a lot of RPGs. Like in Trails in the Sky
the orphanage burns down but you know no one is actually going to get hurt or any scene with Chlem.

Top Bottom