• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & the Envisioned Land Has More Budget Thanks to the Success of the Ryza Trilogy

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
GW0lMoaXUAA7FRA

Following the announcement of Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & the Envisioned Land, producer Junzo Hosoi was interviewed by 4Gamer, elucidating new details.

Firstly, thanks to the immense success of the Atelier Secret trilogy or the Ryza trilogy, Atelier Yumia: The Alchemist of Memories & the Envisioned Land has a larger budget. This has caused the scale of the world in this entry to provide a more significant sense of freedom with increased open-field gameplay compared to Ryza 3. Further, as seen in gameplay footage, Yumia can traverse walls vertically, adding to the enhanced exploration.
Hosoi then admitted that “there have been aspects of Atelier games that compared unsatisfactorily to other RPGs but were forgiven due to being part of the Atelier series.” Now, the team seeks to develop a more high-quality RPG that will also appeal to those who have never played an Atelier entry.

Other details include how, despite the narrative being more serious than usual for the series, it’s not necessarily dark. Additionally, the alchemy system expands upon the one seen in Ryza 3 “with the return of a Link Morph-style synthesis system” and an easier-to-understand presentation for the UI. The shift to the more real-time active battle system will, Hosoi hopes, make this entry seem like a truly next-generation entry of the franchise.
Thanks to Automaton Media for translating select remarks.

ap_puff

Neo Member
I just hope there aren't frame drops in this one like in ryza 3, it was annoying any time you were diving and it started becoming ultra choppy

.Xeno

Neo Member
Hopefully it's better than Ryza 3, wasn't a fan of the magic keys. Really looking forward to the new saga

Yeah I noticed a noticeable bump in graphics compared to previous games. I might try this one out but I never really enjoyed any of the gameplay from the previous Atelier games

So this is a wait and see for me

NanaMiku

I sawa the gameplay and quite surprised that it's more like recent Chinese mobile RPG (Genshin/Wuthering Waves). I kinda miss the old Atelier (Haven't played Ryza series)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Indeed, the thick thighs saved lives.
GWtu86eWMAAcGHm

Yeah I noticed a noticeable bump in graphics compared to previous games. I might try this one out but I never really enjoyed any of the gameplay from the previous Atelier games

So this is a wait and see for me
You gotta grab this on day 1, my man... This series needs your support as(s) well. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

zokie

i remember it was during the C19 years and some were stuck at home and they were glad that Ryza 1 was released as there's the fanservice they wanted despite their SRP was high worldwide , customers loved it

I only bought Ryza 1 when there's a 50% discount sale on psn , waiting for a good sale for the season pass , looking forward to another good discount on Ryza 2 Ultimate Edition

I heard some 'complains ' about Ryza 3 from Atelier fans but i will still buy it eventually at a good discount

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Atelier has a pretty loyal fanbase doesn't it? The new ones always seem to sell 300+k at launch
Yeah, that's true. I was jus teasing my bud there a little bit since he couldn't get into the Atelier series. Hopefully this one might change that for him.

Begleiter

Things definitely got better for Gust with Ryza, I just hope they don't suffer a drop in sales for having moved on to a new subseries.

I really hope this does not mean the same combat system. Please, for the love of all that is good in the world, go back to turn-based, or an ATB system like the Blue Reflection games.

I'm pleased to hear that! The increase in production values was noticeable from the moment the first trailer dropped.

And yeah, I think many people (myself included) jumped into the Atelier series fairly recently with the release of the Ryza trilogy. :messenger_winking_tongue:

trNlDi9.jpeg

GW00ZvUa8AAAbmd

Yea I always wanted to try the Atelier games but was always worried I wouldn't like it. Finally got Ryza and loved it. Still need to play 2 and 3 honestly but god knows when I'll get a chance to do that.

JayK47

I miss the turn based days, but I will still buy this and try it. Is that crappy gacha game making any money? I hope they never do that again.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

Some good developer insights here on why Yumia's character design differs from characters in previous Atelier titles.

To design Atelier Yumia’s characters, Benitama (who previously did illustration work for the Atelier Marie remake) focused on creating cutting-edge designs while striking a balance between fantasy and functionality. What is cutting-edge fashion now tends to become a trend about 2 or 3 years later when people get used to it. “We thought, ‘If we design (the characters and costumes) with the cutting edge in mind, by the time we release the game to the public, these designs will be established as modern fantasy-style fashion design, right?’” explains Hosoi in the 4Gamer interview.

However, this was not an easy task. They finalized the design for Isla, a supporting character, early on but were left with a problem. “When I put Yumia’s work-in-progress character design next to Isla’s finished design, Isla looked more like the main character.” Hosoi reveals. Isla’s cute design and colorful outfit hark back to previous Atelier series protagonists, so fans might easily think she looks like the main character.
In order to make it clear that Yumia is the protagonist, her design was fine-tuned some 30 or 40 times. “To make an RPG that more people around the world will want to play, we needed a main character with a fresh, appealing design,” Hosoi explains to Famitsu. “As a result, we decided on a design direction that emphasized coolness- a strong independent woman who uses footwork.”

Yumia’s long legs and high-heeled boots with light-up heels help accentuate her leg movements. This will really stand out when exploring the game’s open world with her wall-jumping moves. There was also a conscious effort to make outfits a little more practical- and balance fantasy video game costume with real-life wearability. For example, Yumia can undo buttons on her skirt in battle to give her greater range when pulling off a special move.

Last edited:
Top Bottom